Is there any reason to look forward to the new Thief?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Pffrbt
Member since 2010 • 6612 Posts

Everything I've seen and heard sounds like it's dumbing down everything and missing the point of the series in the first place.

Lol.

Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#2  Edited By ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

Idk, can you kill stuff?

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3  Edited By Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

Everything I've heard about it has been bad, then again I've never played a game in the Thief franchise.

Just gonna have to wait and see. I'm not holding breath though.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19570 Posts

I suppose if you're new to the series, you might think that playing as a magical ninja sounds pretty cool?

good_sk8er7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#5 good_sk8er7
Member since 2009 • 4327 Posts

I think it looks pretty great. I never played any of the other thief games, so I don't have to worry about it not holding up to previous entries.

A good reason to look forward to it for new console owners is that it's like the first game release since launch.

ShangTsung7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#6 ShangTsung7
Member since 2014 • 250 Posts

not sure, i've never played the other games, i will probably buy it just cause its a sp game since those are becoming so rare and its supposed to share the same play style as Dishonored so thats something.

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7  Edited By firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts

The gameplay demos I've seen make the game look boring. There was some info released a couple days ago though that you will be able to change the settings to make the game much like the original games (more difficult and what not.)

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#8  Edited By deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

Like others said, I've never played any of the previous ones so less chances of being disappointed (since I won't be able to compare) but the dumbing down seems to be a given in any franchise at this point. Either way, I'm just expecting a game that'll keep me busy for an afternoon or 2 and them throw it to the pile and never play it again.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

I'm getting it. EVERY single criticism I've read is in relation to the originals. By that metric, nearly everything in existence sucks not due to faults from its own merits, but instead because it doesn't compare well to others.

I'll enjoy it for what it is, not for what it's not. The videos look promising and Deus Ex was decent so I have faith that this will at least be average. My need for a decent stealth-focused experience has gone on unsatiated for far too long.

Plus, I think it's important to show that demand for this genre is there and healthy.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

Would you mind to give some more concrete exampes of what you mean by that the new Thief is "dumbing down everything"?

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#11  Edited By sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

To be honest I'm not much of a stealth gamer.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19570 Posts

For what it's worth, I can pre-order it from my local place for $28 (and that's in Australia!), so I might give it a shot anyway.

If it's a quarter the game the original Thief was, then it'll be still be good to play through. If it's terrible, then at least I'll be able to comprehensively articulate why it's terrible. Perhaps the worst thing it could be is completely dull...but hey, at that price, it might be worth the risk.