Is there any game (RTS type) where you are a physical character?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

KevinR90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 KevinR90
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

Imagine Command and Conquer where when you start a game, one of the units you start with is actually you. Maybe there are customization options where you can choose a specific specialization- whether it be infantry, armor, air... ect. And if this unit dies (since it's you) you fail the mission.

I'm looking for any games that might be like that. I get tired of a lot of strategy games where you're just god sitting above the battlefield and have no real worry. If you actually had a unit representing you in the game you would actually leave some units behind to protect you- kind of like you would for more powerful units so they don't get taken out. If anyone could drop me some suggestions of games that are like this that would be great. Thanks.

Thelibarr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Thelibarr
Member since 2009 • 257 Posts
Brutal legend is kinda that. You have your "avatar" and if you want to win you have to get down there and fight together with your troops.
NotTarts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 NotTarts
Member since 2010 • 342 Posts

The Battlezone series (Battlezone and Battlezone II). It's like an RTS, but you command everything from the ground. You can even get out of your vehicle and run around as a soldier. There's also a building you can create that allows you to play it in the classic RTS fashion (ie, top-down view).

Too bad Activision cancelled the series. Really great concept, IMO.

Swampe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Swampe
Member since 2010 • 97 Posts

Rise and Fall: Civ at War is a free RTS game like Rome Total War but it's also a hack and slash.

supdotcom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 supdotcom
Member since 2010 • 1121 Posts

well in supreme commander, you have an acu (armored command unit) which basically represents you on the field. If your acu dies, you lose the game.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
Kingdom Under Fire: Crusades and its sequel Heroes are both RTS with hack and slash KUF2 is in development right now for PC and PS3, with MMO style multiplayer and a traditional single player camapign
Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

Imagine Command and Conquer where when you start a game, one of the units you start with is actually you. Maybe there are customization options where you can choose a specific specialization- whether it be infantry, armor, air... ect. And if this unit dies (since it's you) you fail the mission.

I'm looking for any games that might be like that. I get tired of a lot of strategy games where you're just god sitting above the battlefield and have no real worry. If you actually had a unit representing you in the game you would actually leave some units behind to protect you- kind of like you would for more powerful units so they don't get taken out. If anyone could drop me some suggestions of games that are like this that would be great. Thanks.

KevinR90

You're basically looking for a RTS with RPG elements, correct?

Warcraft 3 + the expansion.

Legue of Legends (free to play online)

And a ton more i can't remember.

KevinR90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 KevinR90
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

Thanks for all the responses so far. I'll have to look into a few of those. I have played warcraft 3 with the expansions already. And that's actually one of the few I know of that did it- where you would select a guy to use and he would level up and you could upgrade his skills. That's what I had in mind when I wrote this thread. I just like modern era games more than medieval.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

So many answers and yet nobody has mentioned the best game of this type yet - Sacrifice

Reptylus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Reptylus
Member since 2009 • 1875 Posts

Full Spectrum Warrior

There you controll two 4-man squads from a near 3rd-person perspective. There are two games, the first one is freeware. Can't hurt trying out.

xxxDirtyJoexxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 xxxDirtyJoexxx
Member since 2009 • 559 Posts

Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30 is as close as i got to a RTS-Shooter. Here you must use tactics and strategy to progress as well as good aim.

You control multiple squads like rifleman, machine gunners, and tanks. And to kill enemy squad you usually have to suppress them than flank them.

You can also control squads from map view.

face_ripper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 face_ripper
Member since 2010 • 968 Posts
Commandos 1,2 and 3 count? Not really a C&C type RTS.
cain19822004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 cain19822004
Member since 2005 • 1382 Posts

Total Annihilation is a proper RTS on the PC that had 'you' on the battlefield as a very tough Commander robot, that could not only attack, but it can also build some of the more basic units and/or buildings, it's been a very long time since I've played it so my memory for it is a little sketchy.

Also, Supreme Commander is the spiritual successor to this.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#14 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

I think Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II is exactly what you're looking for (the original is completely different). You play as the Force Commander. You will get 5 squads during the campaign (Space Marines, Heavy Weapons, Scout, Aerial Assault and Dreadnought). The game focuses on small-scale tactical battles. You can only use 4 squads in each mission. Each unit levels up, lots of abilities, LOADS of loot.

SgtJp537

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 SgtJp537
Member since 2005 • 145 Posts

Arma 2, you can control as many units as your computer can handle while still fighting on the ground, the air, or wherever you want :D

PewPewNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 PewPewNinja
Member since 2010 • 137 Posts

DoW2 is what you want i guess, do you have Steam? If so you must have seen that game a bunch of time on sell, Just this weekend the pack with the expension was 13$ Good game and does exatly what you want (if i get what you want right). Check it out and if you want a good deal wait a bit for the Holidays sales on steam. ( You need an XBL Account to play since it's a GFWL)

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#17 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
Well, RPGs are basically that.
Reptylus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Reptylus
Member since 2009 • 1875 Posts
Well, RPGs are basically that.BranKetra
No. JRPGs are usually turn-based and WRPGs are way to small to be called strategy games.
Avatar image for deactivated-57f6810aefea1
deactivated-57f6810aefea1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 deactivated-57f6810aefea1
Member since 2009 • 497 Posts

Dynasty Warriors?

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Dungeon Keeper 2 allows you to "possess" a minion and move around in first-person view. You can use that minion's capabilities when fighting. If that minion dies, you go back to RTS mode until you possess another minion.

Brendissimo35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 1

#21 Brendissimo35
Member since 2005 • 1934 Posts

There are plenty of RTS games where if your hero unit dies you fail the mission, but this is usually only in singleplayer.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#22 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts
Questions like this belong in the stickied Game Recommendation Thread.