Is "The Last of Us" as good as "Half-Life"?

• 98 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for fred_flatulence
Fred_Flatulence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 Fred_Flatulence
Member since 2014 • 65 Posts

Thoughts?

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

User Lists: 0

#4 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

Why are we comparing one of the greatest video games of all time to a movie?

yngsten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 yngsten
Member since 2011 • 463 Posts

Half Life was a revolutionary game, while TLOU was really good I don't see how they can compare in terms of ingenuity and defining a genre. Half Life is no doubt one of the most important titles in videogame history.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 2

#6 mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

Two very different games. I think The Last of Us is better than Half-Life 2, to be honest, as I find the latter highly overrated and not as revolutionary as people think it is (come at me).

@speedfreak48t5p

The Last of Us isn't a movie. There's more gameplay than cutscenes.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#7 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

@mastermetal777 said:

Two very different games. I think The Last of Us is better than Half-Life 2, to be honest, as I find the latter highly overrated and not as revolutionary as people think it is (come at me).

@speedfreak48t5p

The Last of Us isn't a movie. There's more gameplay than cutscenes.

TC was talking about the original Half-Life

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mastermetal777

@speedfreak48t5p: Well even still, the original Half-Life wasn't that fantastic either.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

today? Yes. Comparitely to how games were during premiere? Nope. TLOU isn;t a breakthrouh that will change gaming as a whole, HL was, even if it has aged severly since then.

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

Personally I still load up and play HL and it's expansions every so often, and have done it for years. I've played TLoU through two times, and I doubt I will ever play it again. Maybe one more time if I ever get around to playing through all the DLC. The game was good, but nothing stellar.

Half Life is what? 16 years old, and still fondly remembered. Only time will tell if TLoU will be at that same level.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Too different to compare... Apples and Oranges

gajbutler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 gajbutler
Member since 2011 • 193 Posts

If Half-Life didn't exist then who knows where the FPS genre would have gone, it was a landmark title like Zelda OoT or Mario. If The Last of Us didn't exist then things would still be the same, it's a good game, but it is just another cover based TPS that doesn't do anything new, in fact the game would have been far better if it was like the first 20 mins all the way through or more like the DLC.

The reason why HL gets shit on today is because for one it was a PC game and these sites are more console focused, I bet 90% of people here haven't even played HL and a big percentage haven't even heard of it. Also though it is now 16 years old and so a lot of the fans have moved on an a greater and greater percentage of people each year were not even born when it came out.

People love to shit on old games and give reasons why they suck, it is east to look back in hindsight, that isn't how the world works.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#13 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@fred_flatulence said:

Thoughts?

No.

Half-Life was a game that revolutionized the FPS genre and even today can be seen mimicked in almost all FPS games.

The Last of Us is a mediocre 3ps action game that only have one thing going for it and thats the story which many seem to think is so good.

Which also leads to why would anyone compare the two, one is a FPS the other is a 3ps action game.

Achraf7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Achraf7
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

No.

Half-Life was a game that revolutionized the FPS genre and even today can be seen mimicked in almost all FPS games.

udUbdaWgz1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By udUbdaWgz1
Member since 2014 • 633 Posts

lol, no and to even think such a thought reveals a lack of critical thought.

tlou has some of the most mediocre gameplay available and is merely stuffed into a box with shiny ribbon and glitter.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#17 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58898 Posts

Playing Black Mesa again, the fact the gameplay not only still holds up but still outclasses pretty much 99% of FPS today that... actually, seem to have went backwards in comparison, the answer is obviose.

Not even a comparison imo.

Nanomage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 Nanomage
Member since 2011 • 2371 Posts

Not even close,Half Life is one of the most important and influential games of all time,The Last of Us is not,in any regard.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mastermetal777

You guys realize you're comparing a game that was released only last year with a game released back in 1998, right? Half-Life has had 16 years for people to think about it critically. The Last of Us was only released last year, and recently re-released for the PS4, and people are still talking about it, whether they praise it or detract from it. Give it a couple more years before you make a snap judgement on its longevity.

Now, I happen to love The Last of Us (my all-time favorite game right there), and I know many people don't like it because they don't think the gameplay is tight enough (that's kind of the point of it, but I digress), but it's the first game I know of to completely connect both gameplay and storytelling in a way that both compliment the other instead of taking away.

Half-Life was, to me, a good shooter with an interesting story...and that's about it. Sure, it was innovative for its time, but innovation doesn't always equal perfection in my eyes. But for a lot of people, it meant something to them and it did help the modern design of most shooters. But again, it was made in 1998 and has had 16 years to be criticized and pondered. If you really want to have this conversation be relevant, let The Last of Us be debated over and over for 16 years and see where it stands. But then again, these are games in 2 completely separate genres, so I don't think comparisons are too fair. But eh, what can you do.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

nope, TLoU had farily good story telling, but if you pick apart the actual gameplay elements, they merely range from mediocre to good.

Halflife when it was released had a pretty big impact on ai, storytelling, level design, the gameplay systems in place in Halflife were at its time, around the top of the lot, with some merely ranging in good.

If anyone would kindly point me to where TLoU is creating the new highpoints of gaming, where it shows that gaming has stepped farward. Even at its storytelling it was not leaps and bounds better.

udUbdaWgz1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 udUbdaWgz1

the "genre" that tlou rits into is: cinematic experience. the gameplay is better known as "the greatness of mediocrity."

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 mastermetal777

@udubdawgz1: I have to disagree with you there. "Cinematic experience" is what Beyond: Two Souls and Heavy Rain fall into if you want a true comparison. Just because there are numerous cutscenes throughout TLoU doesn't make it a cinematic experience. The fact that you maintain complete control for the majority of the game while taking out zombies and humans makes it an action game.

No, the gameplay isn't the greatest, but it is more realistic than anything out there. It's a combination of many game mechanics put into possibly the most realistic and down-to-earth world to date in gaming. This game didn't feel fun in that regard, but I still enjoy it immensely because it's not strictly meant to be a fun game, but a tense one.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#23  Edited By pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

Well that depends on what you mean by as good as. When you compare the two directly they're not even close. Half-Life has gameplay and all sorts of cool alien weapons; TLoU has gameplay parts that you rush through to get to the next movie bit. As far as movie games go with mediocre gameplay, it's at the top. Half-life manages to mix shooting with puzzle-solving, platforming and story really well. TLoU is about making shivs so you can get past the spore guys to the next cutscene. It's pretty silly to compare the two.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Jacanuk

@mastermetal777 said:

@udubdawgz1: I have to disagree with you there. "Cinematic experience" is what Beyond: Two Souls and Heavy Rain fall into if you want a true comparison. Just because there are numerous cutscenes throughout TLoU doesn't make it a cinematic experience. The fact that you maintain complete control for the majority of the game while taking out zombies and humans makes it an action game.

No, the gameplay isn't the greatest, but it is more realistic than anything out there. It's a combination of many game mechanics put into possibly the most realistic and down-to-earth world to date in gaming. This game didn't feel fun in that regard, but I still enjoy it immensely because it's not strictly meant to be a fun game, but a tense one.

I disagree here, Beyond two souls and Heavy Rain are as filled with cutscenes as The last of us is, so if you call those two cinematic experiences, The Last of Us sure as a amen in church is the same. So you can't rule that out just because you are a huge fan of Tlou.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#25  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58898 Posts

@mastermetal777 said:

You guys realize you're comparing a game that was released only last year with a game released back in 1998, right? Half-Life has had 16 years for people to think about it critically. The Last of Us was only released last year, .

You're right. In those terms with a decade and a half of retrospect, no one will care about Last Of Us.

heguain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 283

User Lists: 36

#26 heguain
Member since 2007 • 1433 Posts

@speedfreak48t5p said:

Avatar image for notorious1234na
Notorious1234NA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Notorious1234NA
Member since 2014 • 1917 Posts

@heguain said:

@speedfreak48t5p said:

Plus um why are we comparing a FPS to a 3rd person shooter.....

Cmon ppl SOCOM/ Tom Clancy Vegas king of 3rd person shooter.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#28  Edited By Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

You can cut the Sony hate with a knife in this thread.

Here, this should help with that butthurt, you guys.

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

If I have to compare gameplay with respect to their influence on their respective genres, I'd probably say Half Life.

If I have to compare story telling, it's without a doubt TLoU simply by virtue of the fact that HL's script is about a page long. I think HL2 has some interesting story telling techniques, even if the overall story is rather thin, but HL's story is almost nonexistent.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

While I love the LoU alot, can't say it's better than HL2.

But why compare them...

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 mastermetal777

@uninspiredcup: and that's pure speculation. Plus, you obviously didn't read the rest of what I said. Biased much?

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

It's a subjective comparison; there's nothing wrong with it. No science is being made here. For example, I think oranges taste better than apples and that goes for artificial flavors as well. You've never heard of apple kool-aid, have you? Proof that oranges are better. However "blue" is the best fruit flavor of them all. I've never actually eaten fruit that was blue, but damn does it taste good in a glass.

udUbdaWgz1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 udUbdaWgz1

@Black_Knight_00: lol, unless, i missed them, there are ZERO comments talking about sony or system wars or exclusives or anything even close to resembling "sony hate."

at Notorious- i truly can't even begin to understand the mentality i must have to be of the opinion that i shouldn't compare 1st and 3rd person shooters.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Black_Knight_00

@udubdawgz1 said:

@Black_Knight_00: lol, unless, i missed them, there are ZERO comments talking about sony or system wars or exclusives or anything even close to resembling "sony hate."

Look better

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Lulu_Lulu

@Ish_basic

Atleast you're owning up to it.... I respect that.

Naquada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Naquada
Member since 2004 • 99 Posts

These are fairly heavily different games. Half-life (both of them) told the story more passively through the setting and situation itself; The Last of Us is a more directly told story of 2 people, where the setting is just something to couch that in.

They're both revolutionary, in their own rights. Half-life got me invested in the story in an FPS (which basically never happens), getting me to want to explore the world they created rather than just shoot the things in it. The Last of Us engaged me to the rest of the game by telling me a story so much more emotionally gripping than any other game I had played; I needed to know how their relationship and lives played out.

While I enjoyed The Last of Us more simply because that type of story appeals to me more (a la Mass Effect, KotOR), I wouldn't say I honestly thought either game was better than the other. They both go above and beyond in their particular sub-genres of gaming, and a direct comparison doesn't really work.

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts

The fact that this thread was even created is funny. It's amazing how people continue to think this game is the greatest thing ever.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Lulu_Lulu

@firefox59

Cows are very influential.

Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#39 Ilovegames1992
Member since 2010 • 14221 Posts

No. And i'm not even a huge Half Life fanboy

udUbdaWgz1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 udUbdaWgz1

@Black_Knight_00: just re-read every single comment on this page and i still don't see one reference to sony, let alone, a negative one.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Black_Knight_00

@udubdawgz1 said:

@Black_Knight_00: just re-read every single comment on this page and i still don't see one reference to sony, let alone, a negative one.

Read better.

udUbdaWgz1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 udUbdaWgz1

@Black_Knight_00: each comment deserves to be taken as written. nothing more, nothing less.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Black_Knight_00

@udubdawgz1 said:

@Black_Knight_00: each comment deserves to be taken as written. nothing more, nothing less.

Eh. There are things that are implied.

Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#44 Kevlar101
Member since 2011 • 6316 Posts

@Jacanuk said:

I disagree here, Beyond two souls and Heavy Rain are as filled with cutscenes as The last of us is, so if you call those two cinematic experiences, The Last of Us sure as a amen in church is the same. So you can't rule that out just because you are a huge fan of Tlou.

Beyond: Two Souls - 8 hours and 14 minutes of cutscenes

Heavy Rain - 2 hours and 20 minutes of cutscenes

The Last of Us - 2 hours of cutscenes

Do your research next time.....

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Jacanuk

@Kevlar101 said:

@Jacanuk said:

Beyond: Two Souls - 8 hours and 14 minutes of cutscenes

Heavy Rain - 2 hours and 20 minutes of cutscenes

The Last of Us - 2 hours of cutscenes

Do your research next time.....

What about you just learn to read? but honestly don't bother responding, debating with you is like hitting my head into the wall constantly so i have no intention of doing that.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19565 Posts

Half-Life was a landmark title that completely changed the way the industry designed FPS games. Sixteen years later, it is still considered to be one of the greatest games ever made.

TLOU won't have thay kind of legacy. It might be the best game Sony fans have been playing in the past 7-8 years, but that isn't saying very much.

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#48 thereal25
Member since 2011 • 2074 Posts

They should bring it to pc.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Jacanuk

@thereal25 said:

They should bring it to pc.

Never going to happen, Naughty Dog is a Sony studio and they tend to stay Sony.

ojmstr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#50 ojmstr
Member since 2003 • 1949 Posts

@mastermetal777 said:

You guys realize you're comparing a game that was released only last year with a game released back in 1998, right? Half-Life has had 16 years for people to think about it critically. The Last of Us was only released last year, and recently re-released for the PS4, and people are still talking about it, whether they praise it or detract from it. Give it a couple more years before you make a snap judgement on its longevity.

Now, I happen to love The Last of Us (my all-time favorite game right there), and I know many people don't like it because they don't think the gameplay is tight enough (that's kind of the point of it, but I digress), but it's the first game I know of to completely connect both gameplay and storytelling in a way that both compliment the other instead of taking away.

Half-Life was, to me, a good shooter with an interesting story...and that's about it. Sure, it was innovative for its time, but innovation doesn't always equal perfection in my eyes. But for a lot of people, it meant something to them and it did help the modern design of most shooters. But again, it was made in 1998 and has had 16 years to be criticized and pondered. If you really want to have this conversation be relevant, let The Last of Us be debated over and over for 16 years and see where it stands. But then again, these are games in 2 completely separate genres, so I don't think comparisons are too fair. But eh, what can you do.

Best answer;) i agree