Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 0

#1 Essian
Member since 2007 • 3444 Posts

Hello all!

So I've recently picked up a Wii U and so far I'm loving it. I primarily bought it for Mario Kart (and eventually Smash Bros.) and so far it's a blast. But now I'm starting to look towards other games.

I've always been a big Pokemon fan. I know a lot of you other 20-somethings are in the same boat, playing since you were kids. Skylanders more or less looks like the next-gen version of the pokemon archetype. But I've heard it's really just for kids. Is this true?

For you Skylanders players out there, give me a shout! Is this in the same vein as Kingdom Hearts, where it can be enjoyed by any and all, or is it really just for the 10 and under market?

Thanks!

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

I know nothing about skylanders except that the toys have special swap comboss but Afterplaying several arcade games I've come to realise just how poorly designed these "realistic" and "mature" games really are... So I say go for it ! I for one Plan on getting Disney Infinity, its also got the Toys... ;)

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#3  Edited By Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@Essian said:

Hello all!

So I've recently picked up a Wii U and so far I'm loving it. I primarily bought it for Mario Kart (and eventually Smash Bros.) and so far it's a blast. But now I'm starting to look towards other games.

I've always been a big Pokemon fan. I know a lot of you other 20-somethings are in the same boat, playing since you were kids. Skylanders more or less looks like the next-gen version of the pokemon archetype. But I've heard it's really just for kids. Is this true?

For you Skylanders players out there, give me a shout! Is this in the same vein as Kingdom Hearts, where it can be enjoyed by any and all, or is it really just for the 10 and under market?

Thanks!

If you enjoy Skylanders then why worry who their target age might be?

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#4 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

It seems like a fun game series. If you're interested give it a try.

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#5 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts

I've been wanting to give Disney Infinity a try for awhile now.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Lulu_Lulu

@Allicrombie

Me too, and just when I was about to go out and buy it, Disney Infinity 2.0 gets anounced. Now I have to wait until october... :(

Grieverr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Grieverr
Member since 2002 • 2835 Posts

So long as you get enjoyment out of it, then it's really not "just for kids".

I watched my kids play Skylanders Swap Force. I think it's a quality action/platformer/collect-a-thon. That being said, I do think it's quite easy, and if you're a skilled player, you'll find no challenge in it. But if you were to play it just to enjoy a fun game, this may be of interest. The dialogue is written for a young audience - think Saturday morning cartoons.

I don't think collecting the figures is as deep as Pokemon, though. I've never played Pokemon, but it looks like there is a somewhat deep elemental and stats system that goes into the battles. The Skylanders figures have elemental powers and special abilities that open up optional parts of levels. So, you may be working your way through a level and a little off the beaten path there is an area that can only be accessed by a figure with a fire element. So you'd need a fire character to get there. That's about as complicated as it gets. There are also areas where that fire element will deal more damage to enemies. But my kids liked specific figures and played through the whole game with them, so again, there was no real drawback to using any character.

The physical figurines are the most interesting part if you like collecting toys.

TL;DR - it's a quality and fun game that's light-hearted and easy to get through. Based on your personal likes, your mileage may vary.

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts

It's an Activision cash grab, which is their motto. Give us money and we'll give you repetitive casual games.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

@firefox59 said:

It's an Activision cash grab, which is their motto. Give us money and we'll give you repetitive casual games.

Anytime you want to add actual info to that response you'll be taken seriously

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Minishdriveby

@firefox59 said:

I'm okay with this.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Lulu_Lulu

I avoid the term, "Kid's Games", To be more accurate, they are actually Family Games or Games for Everyone, and yes, its still HARDCORE ! :p

Star0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Star0
Member since 2012 • 451 Posts

A 20-something Pokemon fan?

Umm...okay.

Essian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Essian

@Star0 said:

Umm...okay.

0/10 for trolling, go back to CoD

As for the other replies, thanks for the reponses. For those of you asking "why not just try" the big reason is that this game is a pretty expensive investment. I mean, it's like 70 bucks for the game + portal, and then additional money for each toy.

Might wait for now and try Disney Infinity.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#14 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Like I said in that other thread... the only games that are solely "for kids" are those that teach spelling and math for very young children (i.e. just starting school).

I played Doom II and Pokemon at the same point in my life, and would have no trouble picking up either today and having fun with them (the new Pokemon games are just too far out of my league in terms of complexity and time investment required, which is why I don't play them).

Mesomorphin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 5

#15 Mesomorphin
Member since 2013 • 903 Posts

the main demographic is for kids, but like plenty of games there is some fun to be found in playing the games and collecting new characters. However I'd recommend Disney Infinity over it, mainly because it offers alot more content, including map editors and a online community supporting this feature. On top of that its important to note that unlike skylanders which just offer more characters, the Disney infinity toys actually give you new campaigns. And lets be honest, Disney infinity offers more beloved and recognisable characters!

They're both good game series's but not great or amazing by any measure

Mesomorphin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Mesomorphin

@Star0 said:

Umm...okay.

Dont be an idiot mate.

Star0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Star0

@mesomorphin:

Practice what you preach.

Essian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Essian

@mesomorphin said:

the main demographic is for kids, but like plenty of games there is some fun to be found in playing the games and collecting new characters. However I'd recommend Disney Infinity over it, mainly because it offers alot more content, including map editors and a online community supporting this feature. On top of that its important to note that unlike skylanders which just offer more characters, the Disney infinity toys actually give you new campaigns. And lets be honest, Disney infinity offers more beloved and recognisable characters!

They're both good game series's but not great or amazing by any measure

Think I'm going to pass for now, just doesn't seem worth the colossal investment for what sounds like a "good but not great" game experience.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Lulu_Lulu

@Essian

Yeah, its a pricey game. And the price never seems to go down, its actually $79 here.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

The game is made for all ages.

Mesomorphin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Mesomorphin

@Star0 said:

@mesomorphin:

Practice what you preach.

Well...I dont really have to considering I'am not the one dissing pokemon.

Star0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Star0

@mesomorphin:

I dissed Pokemon?

News to me.

Mesomorphin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Mesomorphin

@Star0 said:

@mesomorphin:

I dissed Pokemon?

News to me.

hence the "idiot" part ;)

Star0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Star0

@mesomorphin:

This isn't going well for you. *facepalm*

Mesomorphin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Mesomorphin

@Star0 said:

@mesomorphin:

This isn't going well for you. *facepalm*

what isnt? ;)

Star0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Star0

@mesomorphin: You're making an ass out of yourself man. I didn't badmouth Pokemon.

Mesomorphin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Mesomorphin

@Star0 said:

@mesomorphin: You're making an ass out of yourself man. I didn't badmouth Pokemon.

Not really making an ass of myself considering you seem to be taking this alot more serious than I'am haha

@Star0 said:

Umm...okay.

So tell me, what did this imply then?

Star0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Star0

@mesomorphin:

How's that? I'm just amused you reacted in the somewhat of a fanboy way you did.

It implies that I don't think it's healthy for someone of that age to be playing Pokemon.

That's my opinion and please don't ask me to give my reasoning because I'm not going to sit here and waste my time arguing back and forth about a game let alone Pokemon.

Mesomorphin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Mesomorphin

@Star0 said:

@mesomorphin:

How's that? I'm just amused you reacted in the somewhat of a fanboy way you did.

It implies that I don't think it's healthy for someone of that age to be playing Pokemon.

That's my opinion and please don't ask me to give my reasoning because I'm not going to sit here and waste my time arguing back and forth about a game let alone Pokemon.

Thats a cool opinion man RESPECT YO! Now heres mine, hehe you ready? ;) Now I dont think its healthy for someone to be judging anybody about what they do, let alone what they play ;)

Star0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Star0
@mesomorphin said:

@Star0 said:

@mesomorphin:

Thats a cool opinion man RESPECT YO! Now heres mine, hehe you ready? ;) Now I dont think its healthy for someone to be judging anybody about what they do, let alone what they play ;)

What are you meant to judge people by if not by their actions?

Mesomorphin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Mesomorphin

@Star0 said:
@mesomorphin said:

@Star0 said:

@mesomorphin:

your not ment to judge people at all. If you want to live your life in pursuit of the idea you're above everyone else and its your right to judge them go ahead, but all that would make you would be a peasant.

Star0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Star0
@mesomorphin said:

@Star0 said:
@mesomorphin said:

@Star0 said:

@mesomorphin:

your not ment to judge people at all. If you want to live your life in pursuit of the idea you're above everyone else and its your right to judge them go ahead, but all that would make you would be a peasant.

English, do you speak it?

Mesomorphin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Mesomorphin

@Star0 said:
@mesomorphin said:

@Star0 said:
@mesomorphin said:

@Star0 said:

@mesomorphin:

English, do you speak it?

Oh! how convenient is that! peasant ;)

High-Res

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34 High-Res
Member since 2005 • 273 Posts

@Essian: Yes, Skylander is tough for an adult to even sit through. It's down right painful. Disney Infinity however is great for both. It has the simplicity for young children to enjoy but much more depth and complexity for an adult to dive into.

Star0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Star0

@mesomorphin: State your point in a comprehensible way or don't bother.

Cheers.

Mesomorphin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Mesomorphin

@Star0 said:

@mesomorphin: State your point in a comprehensible way or don't bother.

Cheers.

Star0=Peasent <-- The point ;)

Star0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Star0

@mesomorphin: In that case, good day to you.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#38  Edited By Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19567 Posts

@Star0 said:

Umm...okay.

Pokemon first came out, what, 16 years ago?

So the 20-somethings were...say, 5-14 when it came out. They were the perfect targets for Pokemania, and many of them still play them today - either for the nostalgia factor, or because new content keeps appearing with every iteration..

So yeah, absolutely nothing wrong with 20-somethings playing Pokemon. Hell, they're probably one of the core groups buying the games.

Star0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Star0

@Planeforger:

Breaking news. People play games! -__-

I didn't dispute that people aged 20 or thereabouts play Pokemon games. I played Red/Blue/Yellow when they first came out. There is no nostalgia for me. The games plain suck from an adult perspective.

Anyone above 16, 17 at a push, should not be playing Pokemon. Else they lack maturity, in my opinion. I played Pokemon X recently and the story is so vacuous and the cringe worthy stereotypes need to be teleported back into the past. The gameplay isn't truly challenging either. If you play the games regularly then you'll quickly pick up the mechanics to a considerable level. It relies on basic mind-numbing repetition and that illusion empowers youngsters, especially teenagers. It's not exactly a deep RTS like Paradox or Total War where you have to take in and process hundreds of variables now is it? Take someone who plays a series like those and put Pokemon in front on them. They'd laugh in your face.

I'm sure you will probably disagree with me, but I don't care on this one.

fmobliv06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 1

#40 fmobliv06
Member since 2006 • 2429 Posts

I played a little of the first one with a friend and found it pretty dull. The figures are well made though.

Mesomorphin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Mesomorphin

@Star0 said:

@Planeforger:

Breaking news. People play games! -__-

Oh really? what fucking surprise! holy shit

@Star0 said:

@Planeforger:

Anyone above 16, 17 at a push, should not be playing Pokemon. Else they lack maturity, in my opinion.

And yet by the way you crap on, it sounds like you are anything but mature....

@Star0 said:

@Planeforger:

I played Pokemon X recently and the story is so vacuous and the cringe worthy stereotypes need to be teleported back into the past. The gameplay isn't truly challenging either. If you play the games regularly then you'll quickly pick up the mechanics to a considerable level. It relies on basic mind-numbing repetition and that illusion empowers youngsters, especially teenagers. It's not exactly a deep RTS like Paradox or Total War where you have to take in and process hundreds of variables now is it? Take someone who plays a series like those and put Pokemon in front on them. They'd laugh in your face.

In all fairness I can agree with you on Pokemon X/Y as they where incredibly dumbed down to fit an audience. But you have little to no idea how in-depth and complex online battles are! hence the reason they host so many live competitions world wide! its one of the most competitive video games next to League Of Legends! Now whilst X/Y failed horribly at trying to serve up any real good story, it strives in its online competitive tournaments. Every player who enters has to build a team of their own, with each pokemon having their own individual set of stats, on-top of that you have to be wise and strategic with the items you use, and the breeding inorder to get the right pokemon for the plan. The complexity of its online makes Total War look like a preschool toy. Ask anyone who plays online.

And when people say that they play pokemon, it doesn't have to be X or Y! it could be any of the older games that had incredibly single player campaigns! Want to play a good pokemon game!? hit up Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire or wait for the 3d remakes later this year. Dont be blind man.

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#42 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

If men in their 30s can like My Little Pony, and be proud of it. I'd say you are just fine playing Skylanders.

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts

@Minishdriveby said:

@firefox59 said:

I'm okay with this.

Apparently, many many people are as well.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Lulu_Lulu

@firefox59

Repition is not a bad thing though, so long as the gameplay has got a butt load of depth.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Minishdriveby

@firefox59 said:

@Minishdriveby said:

@firefox59 said:

I'm okay with this.

Apparently, many many people are as well.

If people enjoy it, then I don't see the problem.

garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#46 garfield360uk
Member since 2006 • 20381 Posts

Cool your jets people, its fine to debate but lets not drop to name calling because people disagree with you. If you don't agree with the opinion back up why you don't with your opinion or facts, don't attack others for the sake of trying to win an argument. Thank you.