Is Shadow of the Tomb Raider more engaging than its predecessors?

Zuon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Zuon
Member since 2008 • 505 Posts

I've never been a fan of the Tomb Raider reboot games. It tried to copy Uncharted, but did so without the humor, engaging story, or likeable characters.

Both of the first two games felt just like this to me, and I only played through them to check them off my backlog. But the third one, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, actually seems like they put effort into it.

Lara jokes now, isn't constantly cowering or out of breath, looks better than in Rise, and the cutscenes seem to hold my interest this time around. Even the music is noticeably good... Well, the first time I noticed it was in Lara's flashback, but still...

Does anyone else feel the same way? I heard the guys behind he newer Deus Ex games developed it this time. Might this have something to do with it?

GNS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#2 GNS
Member since 2015 • 921 Posts

I did not like it. But that's because I've played the first two games. It does not put anything note worthy on the table, but then again, I can't definitely say this, cause I did not play it even up until the middle, but from what I've saw in my playthrough. Not impressed. If it would have been my first TR reboot, I would have liked it. But, really, if you played the first one, you've played the second and the third.

Longsnout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Longsnout
Member since 2013 • 181 Posts

They're all more or less the same game.

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4 deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

@Zuon said:

I've never been a fan of the Tomb Raider reboot games. It tried to copy Uncharted, but did so without the humor, engaging story, or likeable characters.

And worse action than Uncharted. And art direction. And animations. And music. And setpieces.

It's still the same Tomb Raider. Play the demo.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 19

#5 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

I only have ever played Anniversary on the PC. But that's 2007. Good game. But yeah, as others have mentioned I can imagine they are all extremely similar.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1b1d792769d
deactivated-5c1b1d792769d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6 deactivated-5c1b1d792769d
Member since 2018 • 28 Posts

I seen the game, levels look dope but it's just odd not seeing the original Laura craft in the game.

I just got back into video games like a year or so ago, and I've spent over $6,000 or so on video game consoles and games since, to get my feet wet but during the early 90's I was pretty into games and during the late 90's, like 1997, I was into the PS1 and I knew a girl who was into the original tomb raider games so I guess seeing the new tomb raider games are a bit new to me. Overall, I wouldn't buy them, Angelina Jolie is just that hot to not incorporate her into those games, so yeah, that was a horrible move.

henrythefifth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7 henrythefifth
Member since 2016 • 2502 Posts

Shadow of TR is excellent game in every way. The best lara since PS1. And I've played all TR games from the first, to the latest.

Best thing about Shadow of TR are the platforming and puzzle challenges, that are genuinely challenging. Its like you're back in TR1, the amount of dying you will be doing as you try to clear the tombs.

Note that the game is never unfair in the challenge. Never unfair. If you die, its always because you made mistake, not because devs made the game too hard.

Skill sets, general gameplay and graphics are also excellent in the game, on regular PS4. It also feels more realistic than Rise. In Rise you were carrying 50 different outfits in your packback. Which was silly. In Shadow, you only have handful of outfits, and they fit into the game world too. Which is nice.

So, a must play for any TR fan. I just loved it.