Is RAGE the disappointment of the year?

• 80 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#51 Posted by KeredsBlaze (2049 posts) -
12 hrs in and still enjoying it
Avatar image for 190586385885857957282413308806
#52 Posted by 190586385885857957282413308806 (13084 posts) -
I've enjoyed gaming a lot more since I've started going dark on titles I'm interested in. I knew next to nothing about this game besides the setting, the graphical style and who made it. I kind of feel sorry for those people that are angry because Rage isn't like a RPGs/Borderlands/Fallout 3, it seems they are getting mad at a game for what it isn't instead of what it is. There's some pretty good atmosphere, some interesting weapons, and good lore. Strangely though, I read the novel before the game came out and there was a decent story in the novel. I guess they just forgot to include it in the final game. Also a lot of the characters in the game aren't as friendly in the book, in fact some of them are straight pricks to the character. I'm 14 hours in and on the 2nd disc on the 360 version. still have about 13 races to win, a few odd jobs to work on and then go through some more of the main game. The card game they created is pretty interesting and reminds me a bit of MtG. Also the races/vehicle aspects of the game are pretty good. I also like how fluid the enemies are as they spring off objects, run for cover, rush my position and their dying animations. some things they still surprise me a bit.
Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
#53 Posted by Shame-usBlackley (18266 posts) -

Rage ended up on my doorstep last week as a result of my unkempt Gamefly queue not being updated, and I have to say -- it's not all bad. I mean, the graphical issues are pretty atrocious, but the game is actually pretty damn fun. You can still see the Doom pedigree in the game, but there's also heavy influences of Borderlands and, believe it or not, Jak 3. The wingblades are fun to chuck around, and the racing isn't half bad.

I don't know... if I hadn't heard of this game and just picked it up, I'd have probably been floored by it, which is big praise coming from me given my distaste of Id and Carmack. I think this is definitely a victim of hype, but underneath all the pop up and PS2-caliber textures, there's a game that a lot of love was put into. PS3 version, btw -- I had placed the 360 version first with the PS3 as a backup sometime over the summer, and while I would've preferred the superior 360 version, this one isn't exactly a dog.

I'd close with this: Doom was a one trick pony, Rage is a three trick pony. That's quite an improvement if you ask me. :)

Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
#54 Posted by Shame-usBlackley (18266 posts) -

[QUOTE="Treflis"][QUOTE="Rusteater"]

When your enemies can shoot through walls and hit you, that pretty much takes away any chance of it being called a solid shooter.

Rusteater

Depends on the wall, if it's made out of wood then it makes sense they can shoot you through it, if it's concrete or metal then I'd agree.

What about when they through those boomerang things through concrete... make sense?

Yeah, the game definitely isn't going to be the next Rainbow Six, but who cares? I mean, you can headshot a fool and he'll still come back for more; it's obvious they weren't aiming for realism with the game.

#55 Posted by ArchonOver (1103 posts) -

I'm surprised there aren't people saying DA2. I personally liked DA2, but I know most people hated it.

#56 Posted by Bigboi500 (35550 posts) -

Now that I finished it I must say I am very disappointed in the lame ending.

#57 Posted by sukraj (27859 posts) -

I'm loving every minute of Rage.

#58 Posted by anthonycg (2017 posts) -

I'm guessing none of you played Fable 3...

#59 Posted by lamprey263 (36178 posts) -
Homefront was easily more disappointing, I really wasn't expecting much from Rage just kind of got it to waste time while waiting for other games.
#60 Posted by Jbul (4838 posts) -

RAGE is a great game. It's fun, polished, beautiful, and lengthly (I'm 13 hours in, and sure there's at least a few more hours of gameplay) -- I think anyone who's disappointed by this game just expected too much. Is it the game of the year? No, it's not. But it's a damn good shooter that no one should be ashamed to own.

#61 Posted by doubalfa (7108 posts) -
I'd call Rage underappreciated actually, people seem to have fun bashing it for not being an RPG
#62 Posted by CUDGEdave (2592 posts) -

There is too many moaners and whiners about RAGE,"Boo hoo the textures" "Whaa! it won't work on my duff system"

#63 Posted by tomsawyerucf (25 posts) -
What really annoyed me about Rage has to be the ending. Bugs can be worked out, patches can address the graphics. But the ending was like ok your done move on. No really super movie, not even a really super nasty evil boss. Sure you had authority mutants trying to over run you but it just seems to just END. Just meh
#64 Posted by Starshine_M2A2 (5176 posts) -
Duke Nukem forever. Enough said.
#65 Posted by ChubbyGuy40 (26442 posts) -

Not even close. DNF would be that, but I really enjoyed that game.

My disappointment of the year probably would be....Crysis 2 for being such a pile of crap.

#66 Posted by Krelian-co (13274 posts) -

RAGE is a great game. It's fun, polished, beautiful, and lengthly (I'm 13 hours in, and sure there's at least a few more hours of gameplay) -- I think anyone who's disappointed by this game just expected too much. Is it the game of the year? No, it's not. But it's a damn good shooter that no one should be ashamed to own.

Jbul

ifeel exactly the same

#67 Posted by Bigboi500 (35550 posts) -

What really annoyed me about Rage has to be the ending. Bugs can be worked out, patches can address the graphics. But the ending was like ok your done move on. No really super movie, not even a really super nasty evil boss. Sure you had authority mutants trying to over run you but it just seems to just END. Just mehtomsawyerucf
Exactly. You get a super gat weapon near the end and you fight cool bosses all the way up to the end and then....nothing. :( Super lame!

#68 Posted by Krelian-co (13274 posts) -

What really annoyed me about Rage has to be the ending. Bugs can be worked out, patches can address the graphics. But the ending was like ok your done move on. No really super movie, not even a really super nasty evil boss. Sure you had authority mutants trying to over run you but it just seems to just END. Just mehtomsawyerucf

now i know what you are talking about, just finished and i was like wtf, where is my super mutant to kill?

#69 Posted by supergp17 (25 posts) -

Brink has to be up there.

#70 Posted by Matthew-first (3318 posts) -

I really really like this game..
Nice graphics and fun online ;)
I bought 10 games this month... (+preorders from next)

I enjoy every game I buy :)
No exceptions..

#71 Posted by wizdom (10109 posts) -

I think it is. After all the hype, after all the touted features of the game. The game releases with tons of bugs and goes for only ten hours before the ride is over. Additionally, the story is on the weak side, which is rather unfortunate for a game that's been in development for six years.

SrpskiVojnik
Rage is a good game according to GR (gamerankings.com), Duke Nuke Forever is average according to GR, I don't think I need to say anything else then that.
#72 Posted by Flubbbs (4968 posts) -

yes its the biggest disappointment of year for me

#73 Posted by Masculus (2878 posts) -

I'd say that Crysis 2 was way more disappointing.

#74 Posted by sukraj (27859 posts) -

I was dissapointed with crysis 2.

#75 Posted by coasterguy65 (7133 posts) -

Not even close...I had a lot of fun with Rage. I'm not sure what some people were expecting from Rage, but it's a pretty solid game.

#76 Posted by EvilSelf (3619 posts) -

Personally, i liked it. It had great graphics, decent gameplay and sound. It lacks a bit in story. Nevertheless, it was a great game and definitely not the disappointment of the year.

#77 Posted by 5UPERMARIO (1204 posts) -

Rage was my personal disappointment of the year, probably because I was expecting more so its my fault. I bought this around the same time I bought Dead Island, and I had much more fun playing Dead Island.

#78 Posted by wiouds (6233 posts) -

I like Duke Nukem Forever more than Rage. There are different level design that were fun. At Duke Nukem Forever worse it has level design like those in Rage.

#79 Posted by yomanjdf (1166 posts) -

no

it did looked like a bad game from the start

it is i.d.

they make bad games

Avatar image for Poncho_Hachacha
#80 Posted by Poncho_Hachacha (675 posts) -
Possibly. For me it's either Rage or Deus Ex. Then again, I've grown pretty tired of fps's these days. Once I start playing, unless there are some unique or really fun gameplay elements, I really don't feel compelled to keep playing. I'm glad I just rented those two.