Is RAGE the disappointment of the year?

• 80 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by SrpskiVojnik (166 posts) -

I think it is. After all the hype, after all the touted features of the game. The game releases with tons of bugs and goes for only ten hours before the ride is over. Additionally, the story is on the weak side, which is rather unfortunate for a game that's been in development for six years.

#2 Posted by Drosa (3136 posts) -

I guess it all depends on how much you bought into the hype. I haven't played it yet but since it came from Id I don't expect much. Just about everything they have done is a variation of Doom. They don't seem to have much going when it comes to developing a game.

Developing a game engine is a different story. That is their strength and I expect the engine behind Rage to power a lot of games.

#3 Posted by nameless12345 (15125 posts) -

Duke Nukem Forever? Took it 13 years to make and was a poor game.

#4 Posted by Ballroompirate (26014 posts) -

Sadly DNF takes the crown

Rage has its ups and downs but not most disappointing game of the year.

Avatar image for Grammaton-Cleric
#5 Posted by Grammaton-Cleric (7515 posts) -

I think it is. After all the hype, after all the touted features of the game. The game releases with tons of bugs and goes for only ten hours before the ride is over. Additionally, the story is on the weak side, which is rather unfortunate for a game that's been in development for six years.

SrpskiVojnik

With all due respect, you should edify yourself before declaring this particular game a "disappointment" as many of your points are incorrect.

Firstly, the game currently holds a Metacritic score of 82, which is quite good. Among those reviews are many, many AAA and AA scores.

As to the "bugs", those are mostly specific to the PC version and will probably be ironed out within the next week or two. The console versions are exceptionally polished, look amazing and run at 60 fps.

Also, there were no touted features that were not delivered by the developers. Many people assumed Rage would be an open-world RPG similar in scope to games like Borderlands or Fallout 3 but in actuality it's a much more linear experience. However, Id cannot and should not be held responsible for those who never bothered to find out what type of game Rage really was.

Lastly, anyone who plays an Id shooter for the story deserves every ounce of disappointment they endure. Id makes some of the most satisfying and viscerally rewarding combat of any FPS developer but they tend to focus on a core experience and polished fundamentals rather than extraneous components. (And yes, a narrative in a FPS is extraneous, perhaps even superfluous) The actual gunplay, heft of the weapons, and technical acumen of the overall experience are among the best the genre has to offer.

#6 Posted by HoosTrax (1325 posts) -
DNF over Rage by a long shot. - Rage is a game that, however disappointing it currently is on PC, is still a game that I think many people would buy once 1) the showstopping issues are resolved, and 2) the price gets dropped to something reasonable ($60 for average to above average gameplay being unreasonable to many). - With DNF, even if it dropped to $5, I think many people would still pass just because there are so few redeeming features.
#7 Posted by Teuf_ (30805 posts) -

With all due respect, you should edify yourself before declaring this particular game a "disappointment" as many of your points are incorrect.

Firstly, the game currently holds a Metacritic score of 82, which is quite good. Among those reviews are many, many AAA and AA scores.

As to the "bugs", those are mostly specific to the PC version and will probably be ironed out within the next week or two. The console versions are exceptionally polished, look amazing and run at 60 fps.

Also, there were no touted features that were not delivered by the developers. Many people assumed Rage would be an open-world RPG similar in scope to games like Borderlands or Fallout 3 but in actuality it's a much more linear experience. However, Id cannot and should not be held responsible for those who never bothered to find out what type of game Rage really was.

Lastly, anyone who plays an Id shooter for the story deserves every ounce of disappointment they endure. Id makes some of the most satisfying and viscerally rewarding combat of any FPS developer but they tend to focus on a core experience and polished fundamentals rather than extraneous components. (And yes, a narrative in a FPS is extraneous, perhaps even superfluous) The actual gunplay, heft of the weapons, and technical acumen of the overall experience are among the best the genre has to offer.

Grammaton-Cleric

They pretty clearly spent a lot of time and effort trying to craft a rich atmosphere for the game. You spend a pretty signficant amount of time in the game just talking to NPC's. If they're going to try to make their game into that kind of experience, I don't see why it's not valid to criticize them when they almost completely fail to provide any meaningful context and storyline for that atmosphere. Personally I wouldn't have a problem if they just dumped you in a game world had you plow through level after level by shooting everything that moves, but that's not what they did in this game. Instead you have to go around accepting fetch quests or pulling jobs off a bulletin board that require you to play through some area that you already played through in a previous fetch quest. I'm sure plenty of people don't mind, but for me it gets annoying.

I'm also not too keen on your handwaving of the technical issues. I do not particularly like spending $60 on a game that is completely broken, nor do I like having to download some special beta driver 3 times and muck with undocumented configuration files. The game is an absolute disaster on the platform id is most well known for, and they deserve every bit of negative press they've been getting about it. A patch two weeks later isn't going to make me feel better about that, even if it does somehow fix all of the issues. From what I understand the PS3 also suffers from a fair amount of texture pop-in as well as long loading times, but I've heard that second hand so I can't vouch for that myself.

Avatar image for UprootedDreamer
#8 Posted by UprootedDreamer (2036 posts) -
I find that Rage will be a good game to buy once it goes down to 20 dollars.
Avatar image for almasdeathchild
#9 Posted by almasdeathchild (8922 posts) -

there is alot worse out there than DNF jesus people....

rage is a meh game once im done it will be traded in for arkham city

#10 Posted by Bigboi500 (35550 posts) -

I never bought into the hype in the first place. Although at first I was hoping it would have RPG elements like Fallout games and let you explore openly, but when I found out it was a pure shooter I was a little disappointed in hearing that, yet despite all that I am still enjoying the game for what it is even if it is short-lived.

#11 Posted by D1zzyCriminal (1839 posts) -

I've not played RAGE yet, but im sure its not as disapointing as Crysis 2.

#12 Posted by gillri (5926 posts) -

I guess it all depends on how much you bought into the hype. I haven't played it yet but since it came from Id I don't expect much. Just about everything they have done is a variation of Doom. They don't seem to have much going when it comes to developing a game.

Developing a game engine is a different story. That is their strength and I expect the engine behind Rage to power a lot of games.

Drosa

Yes I wasnt hyped ofr it at all, I expected high 80's average score, well its low 80's so doesnt make much difference to me really

as for DNF? did anyone think it actually would be any good!? all the previews said it wasnt great and when previews say that you know its gonna be a stinker

#13 Posted by Teuf_ (30805 posts) -

Drosa

I doubt it, since they're not licensing their engine anymore.

#14 Posted by Treflis (13657 posts) -
Had it pre ordered, had it Pre-loaded which took 36 hours, Spent over 6 hours trying to decrypt the steam files but were stuck the last couple of hours on 27%, Am now told to probably reinstall the entire game again. So yeah I'm pretty irritated, Though on How Rage is I can't say.
#15 Posted by UpInFlames (13301 posts) -

People expected Rage to be a game changer? It's id, they haven't been relevant since Quake III. At best, Rage is id's attempt to play catch-up with modern FPS design.

#16 Posted by Jackc8 (8515 posts) -

Been playing it for a few days and it's pretty fun. I was definitely hoping for more of a story-heavy RPG type thing, but I knew it was basically a FPS. It's not quite what I thought it would be, but disappointment of the year? Not even close.

#17 Posted by GodModeEnabled (15314 posts) -
I never bought into the game to begin with. I figured it would be a cookie cutter FPS clocking in at under ten hours that falls short of what both Borderlands and Fallout New Vegas offer in almost every respect. Looks like rental fodder at best.
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
#18 Posted by deactivated-57ad0e5285d73 (21398 posts) -

Best game of the year so far, at least for me. Exceeded my expectations.

#19 Posted by Newhopes (4775 posts) -

I thought the game was ok to start with but after a few hours I started to find the game pretty boring.

#20 Posted by istuffedsunny (6990 posts) -
I remember when Rage was first announced, from the very first screens I knew this would be one of 'those' games. But I assure you, as mediocre as I'm sure it is, it would be a lot more enjoyable if you stopped paying attention to what people are saying about a game before it's even out, especially people who stand to make money from the game selling more copies. Watch whatever footage they release and use your intuition.
#21 Posted by GhoX (6267 posts) -
I didn't have much expectation for the game, but even then I'm still disappointed by its quality. I expected better things from id.
#22 Posted by streak000 (6802 posts) -

[QUOTE="Chetnik"]

Grammaton-Cleric

And yes, a narrative in a FPS is extraneous, perhaps even superfluous

This genre is as capable as any other of delivering worthwhile stories. I can't comment on RAGE, but I've played a number of FPSs in which the narrative was integral to the overall impact. Games like Half Life 1&2, The Darkness, Metro 2033, Bioshock, Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth, Breakdown etc, all relied on competent storytelling as much as on shooting mechanics and level design to deliver a memorable experience. Arguing that lazy writing and poor plotting is somehow acceptable in an FPS just gives an excuse to the developers to not even bother.

#23 Posted by brucecambell (1489 posts) -

I never bought into the game to begin with. I figured it would be a cookie cutter FPS clocking in at under ten hours that falls short of what both Borderlands and Fallout New Vegas offer in almost every respect. Looks like rental fodder at best.GodModeEnabled

What? But Borderlands was completely terrible. Less than mediocre in every area. Rage wasa completely superior game. Borderlans was nothing more than a bland, barebones, mindless shooter. The only setting it apart was the RPG ranking/lootingsystem.

Anyways i wasnt dissapointed. DNF takes that cake. GOW3 was a massive dissapointment as well. SInce we all expected DNF to be bad i think GOW3 is the true most disspointing game this year.

#24 Posted by SrpskiVojnik (166 posts) -

[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"]I never bought into the game to begin with. I figured it would be a cookie cutter FPS clocking in at under ten hours that falls short of what both Borderlands and Fallout New Vegas offer in almost every respect. Looks like rental fodder at best.brucecambell

What? But Borderlands was completely terrible. Less than mediocre in every area. Rage wasa completely superior game. Borderlans was nothing more than a bland, barebones, mindless shooter. The only setting it apart was the RPG ranking/lootingsystem.

Anyways i wasnt dissapointed. DNF takes that cake. GOW3 was a massive dissapointment as well. SInce we all expected DNF to be bad i think GOW3 is the true most disspointing game this year.

I don't think Borderlands is a good game to compare RAGE with. Metro 2033 is a much better candidate to compare.
#25 Posted by ZombieKiller7 (6398 posts) -

Only the PC version is disappointment.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19c359a3789
#26 Posted by deactivated-5b19c359a3789 (7785 posts) -

The fact that id has seemingly given up on skill-based multiplayer after being dwarfed by casual stuff like COD and Halo is what's disappointing.

id thinks their community wants graphics engines when it really wants air rockets and strafe jumping.

#27 Posted by DEVILinIRON (4929 posts) -

I'm having fun with it on my pc and am not at all disappointed. If anything was disappointing this year, it would have to be Resistance 3. The ending was pretty lackluster.

#28 Posted by Joedgabe (5134 posts) -

I wouldnt say rage is the most dissapointing. It was really obvious how the game was going to be right of the bat. I don't know what else where people expecting, it's a FPS in an open world. That's what they said it will be that's what I assumed people bought the game for. Biggest Dissapointment to me was Ar Tonelico 3: Qoga.

#29 Posted by Metamania (12031 posts) -

I am going to be playing it more tonight, so I'll let you know my full thoughts when I have a lot of time with it.

#30 Posted by JustPlainLucas (79358 posts) -
Wait.. how is DNF a disappointment? Did anyone HONESTLY expect that game to be good? :? Anyway, for me it's Spider-Man Edge of Time. I loved Shattered Dimensions a ton and thought Beenox would deliver again, but alas, they really dropped the ball on this one.

People expected Rage to be a game changer? It's id, they haven't been relevant since Quake III. At best, Rage is id's attempt to play catch-up with modern FPS design.

UpInFlames
And that's why I had no interest in this game.
#31 Posted by Im_single (5134 posts) -
The game seemed interesting but I for some reason knew that Id wasn't going to be able to pull it off so I distanced myself from all the hype surrounding this game. I would have liked to have been pleasantly surprised by a game that did deliver on the scale expected but as is, I'm not disappointed because I thought the worst for RAGE.
#32 Posted by Bigboi500 (35550 posts) -

Maybe some gamers are just spoiled or jaded maybe? I just went through Dead City and it was a blast.

#33 Posted by Qixote (10843 posts) -

Maybe some gamers are just spoiled or jaded maybe?

Bigboi500

Or maybe gamers just expect more from a company that supposedly revolutionized the first person shooter.

#34 Posted by doubalfa (7108 posts) -

I don't know what people were expecting from RAGE it was well known what the game was about and how it would played, I think people thought of Borderlands or Fallout for the setting, but for starters shooting in RAGE is superior it's as polished and empowering as one can be, the weapons are vastly different one from another they all fit in some place in RAGE, presentation wise is impressive also the audio front is above standards, the driving feels extremely responsive specially during online matches, they even have a couple RPGish elements although minimal because you know...RAGE is a FPS....you upgrade your stuff that's about it I think people were expecting to repair their weapons and drink water every 2 hours, but that's not RAGE.

the enemies are great all factions have their behavior and the way they fight, they never stand there to let you shoot them they try to avoid you as much as they can, the setting has originality in each location, no enemy base/city looks the same, heck even if you compare the comparable things in borderlands (which is one of my favorite games this gen) shooting works better and is more rewarding in RAGE since you're not bounded by weapon stats, Vehicle handling/combat is also way better, sure RAGE is not perfect and maybe the story is not interesting at all but afor a game that is made for shooting it really does it damn fine.

#35 Posted by Gladestone1 (5695 posts) -

I don't know waht people were expecting from RAGE it was well known what the game was about and how it would played, I think people thought of Borderlands or Fallout for the setting, but for starters shooting in RAGE is superior as polished and empowering as one can be, the weapons are vastly different one from another they all fit in some place in RAGE, presentation wise is impressive also the audio front is above standards, the driving feels extremely responding specially during online matches, they even have a couple RPGish elemnts although minimal because you know...RAGE is a FPS....you upgrade your stuff that's about it I think people were expecting to repair their weapons and drink water every 2 hours, but that's not RAGE.

the enemies are great all factions have their behavior and the way they fight, they never stand there to let you shoot them they try to avoid you as much as they can, the setting has originality in each location, no enemy base/city looks the same, heck even if you compare the comparable things in borderlands (which is one of my favorite games this gen) shooting works better and is more rewarding in RAGE since you're not bounded by weapon stats, Vehicle handling/combat is also way better, sure RAGe is not perfect and maybe the story is not interesting at all but afor a game that is made for shooting it really does it damn fine.

doubalfa

Good post, exactly how i feel..Think they did a decent job..Enemies react to what your doing..Missions and even the races are fun..Every gun shoots different..Some times id like the gun to not dissapear so you can grab it and use it...Some times im out of bullets but this is a id game..Also you can stock up before each mission..Im enjoying the atmosphere that is in rage..Some of the ati crowd is having issues..Im sure once they iron out the bugs..It will be find..Give it time..In time rage will be a decent fun game..Im having a blast with it..

Duke nuke em forever is different..Every one heard how bad it was..Actually im still enjoying duke nuke em for what is is..Its not horrible as most of you make it out to be..Its dated ill give the game that..The ceo had no idea how to bring a game to a end and release it..He kept redoing the game trying to make it better..Every time he did some one else made a game and he said.Ive got to reinvent my game..What the heck how many times you have to reinvent some thing..Now dukes in a publisher that actually knows how to put games together..Still has the duke nuke em crew..So im sure the next game should be decent...Only time will tell..

Avatar image for DecadesOfGaming
#36 Posted by DecadesOfGaming (3100 posts) -

Have you playedRage yet to make your own mind up?

Or are you annoyed due to the fact that certain reviewers awarded this particular title a 'lower than expected' score after getting you hyped?

#37 Posted by Treflis (13657 posts) -
Managed to get Rage to work now and I have to say that no, it's not a dissappointment It's not revolutionizing for the genre but it is a solid shooter, And even a slight racing game.
#38 Posted by Rusteater (4080 posts) -

Managed to get Rage to work now and I have to say that no, it's not a dissappointment It's not revolutionizing for the genre but it is a solid shooter, And even a slight racing game.Treflis

When your enemies can shoot through walls and hit you, that pretty much takes away any chance of it being called a solid shooter.

#39 Posted by ShadowMoses900 (17081 posts) -

I was a little excited about it but then I heard that the "open world" is really small and the game is full of bugs and only lasts 10 hours with little replay value. Plus the MP will be dead once COD comes out so that feature doesn't matter...

#40 Posted by Treflis (13657 posts) -

[QUOTE="Treflis"]Managed to get Rage to work now and I have to say that no, it's not a dissappointment It's not revolutionizing for the genre but it is a solid shooter, And even a slight racing game.Rusteater

When your enemies can shoot through walls and hit you, that pretty much takes away any chance of it being called a solid shooter.

Depends on the wall, if it's made out of wood then it makes sense they can shoot you through it, if it's concrete or metal then I'd agree.
#41 Posted by Krelian-co (13274 posts) -

i don't see how it is a dissapoitment it got great scores in most sites, and i think its an awesome game, just playing the single player campaign so far and its awesome, loving it so far

#42 Posted by Rusteater (4080 posts) -

[QUOTE="Rusteater"]

[QUOTE="Treflis"]Managed to get Rage to work now and I have to say that no, it's not a dissappointment It's not revolutionizing for the genre but it is a solid shooter, And even a slight racing game.Treflis

Depends on the wall, if it's made out of wood then it makes sense they can shoot you through it, if it's concrete or metal then I'd agree.

What about when they through those boomerang things through concrete... make sense?

#43 Posted by amphitheater (128 posts) -
I think so. After so much build up, etc. etc, and when the game arrives, it wasn't up to par with the expectations.
#44 Posted by Pandajerk63 (25 posts) -

I would say no, I think it would go to Duke Nukem Forever. I do have to admit it was very disappointing for Rage to have all of the bugs. But nothing that could ruined it.

#45 Posted by Elann2008 (33028 posts) -
Of the year? No. Of all the games that disappointed this year, I enjoyed them for what they were at the end of the day. They were not terrible as what some people made them out to be. I guess we all have different expectations but some people's were sky high.
#46 Posted by Grammaton-Cleric (7515 posts) -

[QUOTE="Grammaton-Cleric"]

[QUOTE="Chetnik"]

streak000

And yes, a narrative in a FPS is extraneous, perhaps even superfluous

This genre is as capable as any other of delivering worthwhile stories. I can't comment on RAGE, but I've played a number of FPSs in which the narrative was integral to the overall impact. Games like Half Life 1&2, The Darkness, Metro 2033, Bioshock, Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth, Breakdown etc, all relied on competent storytelling as much as on shooting mechanics and level design to deliver a memorable experience. Arguing that lazy writing and poor plotting is somehow acceptable in an FPS just gives an excuse to the developers to not even bother.

To be fair, my critique comes from a myopic place as I don't play (most) games for the narrative. I play this medium specifically for interactivity and never has the quality of a story affected my enjoyment of a game because when I want compelling stories I'll go to literature and film. I personally can't understand why some people place such stock in a game's narrative when the crux of this medium is rooted in interaction and the malleability of the game construct but perhaps that viewpoint isn't widely held.

#47 Posted by Grammaton-Cleric (7515 posts) -

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

Maybe some gamers are just spoiled or jaded maybe?

Qixote

Or maybe gamers just expect more from a company that supposedly revolutionized the first person shooter.

There's nothing "supposed" about it. Id created the genre. Period.

#48 Posted by wiouds (6233 posts) -

I would say Rage level design was poor. All the levels were just the oldest type of level design for a FPS. Did they not pay attention to any of the best innovations in FPS? It is not good when I say that Duke Nukem Forever has better level design.

Avatar image for logans122094360
#49 Posted by logans122094360 (327 posts) -

I find that Rage will be a good game to buy once it goes down to 20 dollars.UprootedDreamer

Same here.

#50 Posted by Gibsonsg527 (3313 posts) -

this was Id's latest game so I would say yes.