Is online gaming important to you?

• 73 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

kairikh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#1 kairikh
Member since 2008 • 1393 Posts

Consoles this gen basically all derived the ability to allow anyone to have the option to game online and message their friends easier than ever, although PS2 had this feature, im sure it was rarely used by most owners

So OT asking if online gaming is that important to you that it prevents you from returning to your old consoles that lack the aspect of online interactivity???

For me, id say im sort of addicted to it now, i cant even stand being signed off of psn or xbox live for a long period of time if im gaming.

SonicX_89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 SonicX_89
Member since 2008 • 573 Posts

I'm not too big into online gaming, but I wouldn't want to go back to the way it was. I've gotten too used to constantly being connected to the web and I hate it when I'm not.

Vyse_Legends

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Vyse_Legends
Member since 2007 • 9387 Posts

Nope. I've about maybe 3+ hours total of online gaming time.:P

And I'm only logged into PSN like once a week to check out the PS Store update.:lol:

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#4 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

It's not important to me at all. There are no characters, no story, no progression from beginning ot middle to end - its just a gameplay mechanic, not a game. And I didn't pay $400 for a PS3 so I could put up with other people's horrible little children either.

Euaggelistes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 Euaggelistes
Member since 2009 • 1826 Posts

Not a fan of online play but I have always had brothers (and now children) to game with so that might factor into it.

N7v1K0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 N7v1K0
Member since 2009 • 5755 Posts
I play singleplayer 85% of the time, so not really
mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mrmusicman247
Member since 2008 • 17601 Posts
Not really. Doesn't mean I don't like it. It means that if games suddenly stop having multiplayer for whatever reason, I wouldn't be affected.
commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 commonfate
Member since 2010 • 13320 Posts

Depends on the game. Something like BF3 needs to have a good online (plus a good community too!) but something like Mass Effect co-op (which there are rumors of it out and about) has no impact on whether I like the game, considering the sure to be stellar single-player.

JustisZone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 JustisZone
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
I'm a HUGE multiplayer fan, single player just doesn't cut it for me, i mean, don't get me wrong I love the COD Campaigns as well as Halo, Multiplayer just puts the icing on the cake
Cobra_Choke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Cobra_Choke
Member since 2011 • 56 Posts

Yes it is :) I play Gears OF War 1 multi non-stop since March 2008 :) I can't even imagine life without GoW multi :D

Calvin079

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 Calvin079
Member since 2008 • 16406 Posts

Not really. It adds a bit more longevity to the game, but that's all it does. I prefer going SP any way.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17809 Posts
not really. there are a few games that i prefer to play online like: trackmania united forever Monster hunter 3 Diablo 2. but in the grand scheme of things its not a huge deal. i play SP most of the time.
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#14 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

Online play is impotant to me because I get to play with not only friends I'm on good terms with, but with friends that share the same passion as I do for the games that both parties enjoy. I also enjoy competition as well, but I'm not as hardcore about it. I play for fun for the most part, but when I go against an opponent, it gives me the feeling of wanting to do better and improve my own skill in everyway possible.

ValHazzard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ValHazzard
Member since 2009 • 829 Posts

i must be the only one here but i have never played an online game in my life and i've been gaming since forever.

I used to play some quake and CS in LAN a long time ago but online gaming does not interest me one bit.

jcopp72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 jcopp72
Member since 2007 • 5375 Posts
i really dont care for online, i mean i play just for the heck of it but could do without it.
jcopp72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 jcopp72
Member since 2007 • 5375 Posts
Nope. I have NO Interest at all in PC Gaming. Bleh,Bleh.....Easports48
who said anything about PC gaming? the topic says consoles.
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#19 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
It depends. Personally, I would like a Ninja Gaiden game with online versus. A multiplayer-focused Ninja Gaiden game would work, too. Ryu, Hayate, Ayane, Kasumi, Murai, Doku, Genji, etc. 1 vs 1 online multiplayer. No split screen.
raven_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#20 raven_squad
Member since 2007 • 78438 Posts

Honestly, not at all. I'd much prefer things return to how they were, multiplayer completely taking the backseat to singleplayer. Sadly it will do the opposite as time goes on.

kairikh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 kairikh

Nope. I've about maybe 3+ hours total of online gaming time.:P

And I'm only logged into PSN like once a week to check out the PS Store update.:lol:

Vyse_Legends
the essence of normalcy :lol: think ill look up to u now :P
kairikh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 kairikh

Online play is impotant to me because I get to play with not only friends I'm on good terms with, but with friends that share the same passion as I do for the games that both parties enjoy. I also enjoy competition as well, but I'm not as hardcore about it. I play for fun for the most part, but when I go against an opponent, it gives me the feeling of wanting to do better and improve my own skill in everyway possible.

Metamania
nice reasoning its so true i love online cause ive become attached to friends who share my passion for certain games and i do love the competitiveness of online with my friends.
kairikh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 kairikh
:lol: not even interest in PSN?
kairikh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 kairikh

Honestly, not at all. I'd much prefer things return to how they were, multiplayer completely taking the backseat to singleplayer. Sadly it will do the opposite as time goes on.

raven_squad
A part of me has that same exact feeling, ive played solo for so long that multi is still too new to me that i dont want it over taking the enjoyment of a single player game
Avatar image for JayQproductions
JayQproductions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 JayQproductions
Member since 2007 • 1806 Posts

I'll still go back and play games on the NES, SNES, N64, PS1 and all that but i pretty much won't buy a game on the current generation of console's unless it has online multiplayer.

Novemberrr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Novemberrr
Member since 2011 • 163 Posts

I enjoy online gaming as much as the next guy..but I don't go out of my way to find games that are heavily geared towards online play simply because I can't stand about 99% of the people online..

Gladestone1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Gladestone1
Member since 2004 • 5695 Posts

Barely use it..Most of my games are offline..Love single player games, except mmorpgs..

mvzqs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 mvzqs
Member since 2010 • 87 Posts

Consoles this gen basically all derived the ability to allow anyone to have the option to game online and message their friends easier than ever, although PS2 had this feature, im sure it was rarely used by most owners

kairikh

PSN didnt exist at the time. the ps2 did not have that feature. the games that were online supported it.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44102 Posts
I would say it's pretty important to me. I'm always logged into XBL or PSN no matter what I'm doing or playing it just feels weird to not be connected when my systems are on. I also love multiplayer in my games but the importance of it being included varies depending on the genre.
MathMattS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#31 MathMattS
Member since 2009 • 4012 Posts

Online game isn't terribly important to me, unless I'm playing with friends or I'm going for achievements, or if the urge to game online catches me. I'm more of a single player and campaign kind of guy.

Wolfetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Wolfetan
Member since 2010 • 7522 Posts

So OT asking if online gaming is that important to you that it prevents you from returning to your old consoles that lack the aspect of online interactivity???

For me, id say im sort of addicted to it now, i cant even stand being signed off of psn or xbox live for a long period of time if im gaming.

kairikh
I couldnt care less about XBLA now the store thats a different story although I could live without ever XBLA feature it wouldnt be hard. I need a PS3 lol.
Calvin079

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#33 Calvin079
Member since 2008 • 16406 Posts

This isn't about PC gaming :? this is about online gaming in general.

Avatar image for RogueWarriorRPG
RogueWarriorRPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 RogueWarriorRPG
Member since 2011 • 65 Posts
It ultimately depends. I mean, it is more fun in my opinion, to play with other people in shooter games as it's not just some AI with the same reactions. Since every player in online mode is a human, then they each have different reactions to specific scenarios which, in turn, varies the outcomes and makes the experience as a whole more varied and fun. Of course, the definition of fun can be interpreted differently, but I like variety. As for those mmorpg kind of online gaming where people just play it to chat, I honestly think that's kind of stupid when the best choice is to just get out of the house and chat with neighbors and go out with friends.
kairikh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 kairikh

[QUOTE="kairikh"]

mvzqs

PSN didnt exist at the time. the ps2 did not have that feature. the games that were online supported it.

yea i meant ps2 having the online feature over all cause i mean aside from xbox it was the only other console with an ability to get online somehow
raven_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#36 raven_squad
Member since 2007 • 78438 Posts
[QUOTE="mvzqs"]

[QUOTE="kairikh"]

kairikh

yea i meant ps2 having the online feature over all cause i mean aside from xbox it was the only other console with an ability to get online somehow

What about the poor, forgotten Dreamcast?
hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

It's not important to me at all. There are no characters, no story, no progression from beginning ot middle to end - its just a gameplay mechanic, not a game. And I didn't pay $400 for a PS3 so I could put up with other people's horrible little children either.

Jackc8
Yeah I agree. I get much more enjoyment out of a good SP campaign...
Blazember

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#38 Blazember
Member since 2010 • 108 Posts

For me, of course, most gaming happens online these days, I almost only play games online these days

Although do I enjoy single player games, definitely, as a kid I just spent hours alone on classic games that had no online and it was great, and occasionally I do replay old single player only games. Main issue is that I haven't bought any good single player games. If I got games like Mass Effect or Bioshock or Elder Scrolls or Zelda I'd probably spent so much time not online.

There are 2 kinds of gaming fun here:

There's the kind where you should be alone to get the best immersion in the game and not be distracted, like Amnesia. Being with your friends just detracts from these kinds of games and ruins the atmosphere. Being with a friend or listening to some guy on a mic would ruin the whole alone and helpless mood of Amnesia. I mean, also, imagine your friends were telling a joke and laughing when Aeries died in FF7 for example, totally kills it. You should be absorbed and focused on the game so you feel everything the game designers wanted you to feel and you feel like a part of the game.

Then there's the kinds of games not really focused on immersion, games that are supposed to be played with buddies and silly, like party games like Wii Sports that are only at their full potential with friends.

soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 soulitane
Member since 2010 • 15091 Posts
Nope, I do play it occasionally but I mainly play games for single player.
rockguy92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 rockguy92
Member since 2007 • 21559 Posts
Honestly not really, basically only for the few shooters I buy. I've always liked single player gaming more.
ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ZombieKiller7
Member since 2011 • 6463 Posts

Only if the game is designed around it.

I don't like games that try to do everything, because they usually don't get it done.

In my mind a game should be either SP or MP, not both.

That said I do SP %90 of the time.

Overlord93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Overlord93
Member since 2007 • 12602 Posts
Yep, Multiplayer lasts for a lot longer, around 95% of my game time would be MP
kairikh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 kairikh

[QUOTE="kairikh"][QUOTE="mvzqs"]

raven_squad

What about the poor, forgotten Dreamcast?

call me uneducated but did the dreamcast have online capabilities? its a little ahead of my time and i only played on one once

doomguy9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#44 doomguy9
Member since 2011 • 355 Posts

Good, lengthy single player campaign > Multiplayer

Anyday, anytime.

LynnTerra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#45 LynnTerra
Member since 2010 • 190 Posts

Going back to play such would not affect me. While online multiplayer is enjoyable, it just feels overly saturated now. I can still go back and play some of the older games and have a good time without multiplayer.

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
If I want to play multiplayer I will play real multiplayer with splitscreen.
Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#47 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts

It was earlier in the generation but now I'm burnt out on online gaming. Nothing is special enough to keep me playing for more than a couple of weeks. 90% of my time is on single player games. The only thing that could change this is Starhawk, at least for a while.

lensflare15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 lensflare15
Member since 2010 • 6652 Posts

Not really... I only play online for certain games, and that's if I really like it. Games like Socom Fireteam Bravo 2 for the PSP, or the Resistance games. But no, it definitely doesn't prevent me from playing my old favorite games, or any old games for that matter.

farslip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 farslip
Member since 2006 • 317 Posts

To me no. I have a ps3 but I'm rarely online even with multiplayer based games like fighters. I rather play with my small group of friends as people online tend to be rear ends. I act online the same way I act in person but it seems many people don't do the same or it is just their true selves. I'm a bit of a trophy hunter but I don't even try to get online trophies anymore.

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts
I prefer single-player myself. Against a NPC AI you have no immaturity, and the AI doesn't quit if it loses in melee.:lol: