Is no man's sky worth getting after update?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

benny_boy98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By benny_boy98
Member since 2015 • 485 Posts

Title says it all.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#2 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

No, unless you really like building bases in games.

It´s still the same shitty game that everyone left behind and the founders update isn't doing anything to change that.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58269 Posts

yes.

No Man's Sky is a great game, but you need to forget about modern gaming conventions before you start playing it. Unlike most games, there's no real objective in NMS; there is no goal to achieve, no quota to meet, no enemy to beat, and no level cap to achieve. Your "job"--if you can call it that--is to wander the stars aimlessly, going from solar system to planet to space station to asteroid field to fleet and everywhere in between. Taking pictures. Enjoying the view. Trading materials. Upgrading your ship. Building your base. Outfitting your freighter.

No Man's Sky has more in common with a "walking simulator" than it does with a space simulator, to be perfectly honest, and sometimes that is what the modern gamer needs. In a world where we are hand-held down corridor after corridor or, in even the most open of world, we are given directions and fast-travel points and told how to most effeciently do something...sometimes it's nice to just shut your brain off, space out, and meander in a randomly generated universe and enjoy the beauty of it.

No Mans' Sky was always worth the price of admission, and is doubly so now, after the patch.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#4 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

yes.

No Man's Sky is a great game, but you need to forget about modern gaming conventions before you start playing it. Unlike most games, there's no real objective in NMS; there is no goal to achieve, no quota to meet, no enemy to beat, and no level cap to achieve. Your "job"--if you can call it that--is to wander the stars aimlessly, going from solar system to planet to space station to asteroid field to fleet and everywhere in between. Taking pictures. Enjoying the view. Trading materials. Upgrading your ship. Building your base. Outfitting your freighter.

No Man's Sky has more in common with a "walking simulator" than it does with a space simulator, to be perfectly honest, and sometimes that is what the modern gamer needs. In a world where we are hand-held down corridor after corridor or, in even the most open of world, we are given directions and fast-travel points and told how to most effeciently do something...sometimes it's nice to just shut your brain off, space out, and meander in a randomly generated universe and enjoy the beauty of it.

No Mans' Sky was always worth the price of admission, and is doubly so now, after the patch.

I still have interest in NMS, but the price tag is still to high for what you are getting.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By mrbojangles25

@MarcRecon: yeah I will concede that point. I logged on the other day and saw it was still 59.99 on Steam. I think they're having a sale and it's 29.99 right now?

so yeah maybe not worth full price, but I don't regret paying full price for it.

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mark1974
Member since 2015 • 4261 Posts

It's hard to say what price a game should have. What are we paying a premium for in most games that cost $60? Graphics and production values are great but they don't equal the game being enjoyable just by themselves. No Man's Sky may be simplistic in a lot of ways but it's also valuable, at least to me, for it's uniqueness. All I know is that I spend a lot of time playing it and that makes it worth it to me. I've spent $60 on games I didn't enjoy and only put ten hours into. Anyways, surely you can find this game cheap somewhere. The game is definitely not for everybody, if it doesn't sound like something you would like then you most likely wont like it. If you didn't like it before, it's silly to think you will now.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

I think there are cheaper games that do what you want from NMS.

Look up planet Explorers. You can build you own items in a great detail. Look up the creation system. My first ground vehicle was a tric with copper as the frame and a wooden platform for the sear, engine and fuel tank. I need to get farming so those living at my colony can feed themselves.

If you want to travel space then try Empyrion - Galactic survival. You build you ships out of blocks.

In both you can build building and have a level of MP to them.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#8 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

I don't regret paying full price for it.

And you shouldn't, as long as you enjoyed the game, that's all that should matter. I feel that way about The Order 1886, as you know, the game was far from great, but there where a few things in it that made it worth the full price for me as well.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#9 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

I wouldn't pay to play it, before or after the update.

danner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 danner
Member since 2016 • 43 Posts

I love the game, Its very different than most games. been playing survival mode and its damn challenging. I was first spawned far away from my ship. I was on a -40 planet that was also very toxic. just reaching my ship was a challenge. I had to mine resources and hide away in caves multiple times to avoid the harsh elements. Getting my ship up an running is the next task

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10416 Posts

@mrbojangles25: genuine question: if there's no objective to no man's sky, what's the point in base building and its introduction to the game? base building implies there is an objective i.e. protection / defences, creating civilisations, developing technologies etc. curious as to how it fits into a game with no objective or goals and how that doubles the value of the game?

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mrbojangles25

@Macutchi said:

@mrbojangles25: genuine question: if there's no objective to no man's sky, what's the point in base building and its introduction to the game? base building implies there is an objective i.e. protection / defences, creating civilisations, developing technologies etc. curious as to how it fits into a game with no objective or goals and how that doubles the value of the game?

well, the base building does add a bit of an objective to the game now (I talked about this in another post). It sort of changes my opinion of the game slightly towards the negative because it takes this game about nothing and bends it slightly towards something, if that makes any sense.

So instead of just aimlessly meandering the universe, going from planet to solar system to space station, looking for pieces of the Atlas or the center of the Universe or what have you (the only objectives in the release version of the game)...

...now you have this base that you staff with various creatures that give you mini-quests and suddenly you are off doing a series of fetch-quests to unlock tech, building components, or other things.

It is a little tedious, but it can be a pleasant diversion; supplementing the aimless exploration (which is still the meat and potatoes of the game) with the occasional purpose-driven mission to upgrade your base kind of breathes fresh life into the game.

In case you can't tell, I'm not 100% sold on the NMS 1.1 yet but overall it has me playing the game again and I definitely feel it adds value to the game, and it is a worthy addition. My issue with the update aren't so much objective or even subjective, but more philosophical lol.

TL;DR: the point of base-building in a game with no objective is to just have a place to call home I guess? I think somewhere in development they promised us this, too, so here it is lol. Idunno I think it is kind of nice; you're searching thousands (millions!) of planets, it's kind of nice to return to one you can call your own at the end of an hour or two of meandering the universe. Adds a touch of familiarity to the unfamiliar. And for those that don't want to put down roots, there's always the freighter!

@mark1974 plays the game a lot more than I do, he probably can answer the question better than I can.

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mark1974

@Macutchi: @mrbojangles25:

I love base building in general and would like it in pretty much any open world game simply because I think it's a lot of fun in and of itself. I've heard people say that it ruined Fallout 4 and for the life of me I cannot understand that. It's there if you want to do it and if you don't you really dont need to.

It's just a way of personalizing the game a bit and allowing for some creativity on your part. It is like a mini game within the main game. Just a diversion. The game is still about exploring the universe but why should you be denied a home world? It gives you a reason to keep exploring, to find a better place to build your home. I have often come across planets that I hated to leave because they were exceptional within the game but staying in place does not serve the purpose of the game. Now you can claim a planet like that and go back to it.

Whether you choose to hire your research team and set them up on a homeworld base or in a freighter that you take along with you, it's just adding another level of depth to the game and that is what I feel it needs the most. More things to do.

I must say that I am glad to have played the game quite a bit before the update. It was something of a different game and I really liked it for what it was.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10416 Posts

@mrbojangles25: @mark1974:

it's interesting to read opinions from the other side of the fence.

for example, f4. i didn't like the base building. it felt bolted on, poorly explained and a massive missed opportunity when i thought about how it could have been utilised to facilitate some epic tribal wars and the conquering of boston. instead it felt like it was an afterthought there simply as a way to make use of all the crap (scrap) lying about, make a few caps and grow a few plants that could be converted into resources.

i play games for some form of gratification. there has to be a reward to justify my playing. i can't think of anything that i do in my life that is not ultimately motivated by some form of incentive, large or small which is why the final released version of no man's sky didn't appeal. in f4, whilst base building may give some kind of serene satisfaction if you enjoy the construction aspect, i question if the outcome upon completion justifies the time and effort. clearly it does to some. not to me though. i'd rather spend my time out exploring the wasteland.

from what it sounds, to me, the base building introduction in no man's sky is a step in the right direction as it moves towards a game with a goal, with teams to manage and side missions that potentially offer more depth. it gives me a reason to play, if not yet a compelling enough one to pick the game up, because whilst the premise of exploring the universe does appeal the game is still too limited to incentivise me to play.

but it's interesting to read that fans of no man's sky don't necessarily like this slight shift towards a more objective based game

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By mrbojangles25

@Macutchi: oh no, I like it! Like I said, my opinion of the game is at war with itself so don't listen to me lol. Me personally, I love the game...but I keep wanting to judge it from other people's perspectives which means I kind of need to be harsh on it at times lol. Idunno maybe I should just stick to my own frame of mind lol

I mean if I stop taking myself and the game so damn serious for a second, and start thinking from a fun perspective, it's totally 1000% awesome. I think it's a great addition because A.) it's still the same awesome game as before, and B.) they've allowed for a bit of personal expression via custom base building.

More importantly, I feel they have incorporated it really well. My experience is a bit limited thus far but I have not experienced a lot of bugs and the interface seems straight forward, easy to use, and so forth.

I also enjoyed Fallout 4's base building, so take that for what it is worth. But not immensely. It was like "OK I worked on my base for 20 minutes, time to go play the realy game for 2 hours"

Sorrywerefull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16 Sorrywerefull
Member since 2017 • 1 Posts

@mrbojangles25:

The point of the base building is so you can plant certain plants for creating components which sell for a lot and you sell them in a galactic trade terminal built into your base. You use the money to buy a better freighter and you use the freighter to store items for exploration. The game revolves around getting better at exploring. The new missions and such add more things to do and more ways to see the beautiful planets. The game revolves around the planets.

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 mark1974

Woah. That was a blast from the past. I like necrobumps sometimes. And you are correct Sorrywerefull. That is one of the best reasons or at least most useful aspect of base building.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#18 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Please don't bump ancient threads