nolanw485

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 nolanw485
Member since 2016 • 59 Posts

So i would call myself a casual gamer. I want to get into the Metal Gear Solid series, but I am not sure if it is right for me. I really suck a stealth games. I have tried metal gear solid V TPP, but I was just god awful at it. Also what Metal Gear Solid game is the best for a beginner?

vespuche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 vespuche
Member since 2007 • 1078 Posts

All of them are extremely easy when on the lowest difficulty.

If I recall MGSV has no difficulty options, but the others do.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#3 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@nolanw485:

Metal Gear Solid 1 ps1/Gamecube and work your way up. Easy mode is a breeze and has an easy learning curve. PLUS it's the best way to start the story! Win, win!

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4  Edited By judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7326 Posts
@killered3 said:

@nolanw485:

Metal Gear Solid 1 ps1/Gamecube and work your way up. Easy mode is a breeze and has an easy learning curve. PLUS it's the best way to start the story! Win, win!

I'm going to second this. Solid 1 has the best story, and most straightforward game play. These aspects get more convoluted with each entry.

Edit: Thought I should mention I have not played the Vs yet so my statement doesn't apply to them.

henrythefifth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#5 henrythefifth
Member since 2016 • 2502 Posts

I would say MGS2 would be good place to start. It's available for PS3 and 360 too in a collection box.

I have it for the original Xbox, and I'd say it's the easiest of the lot to get into, stealth-wise.

MGS4 is brill too, and can be played as a shooter for the most part, so that is good pick too. Tough bosses, but otherwise easy.

MGS1 is not that tough, but the controls are difficult. I prefer playing it on PS1 with the original controller (using d-pad) as the sticks on dualshock just felt less accurate.

nolanw485

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 nolanw485

@henrythefifth: Thanks for your feedback! I tried playing MGS1 today and the controls were just so clunky. I will probably watch a walkthrough on MGS1 and then start with 2.

DrRollinstein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DrRollinstein
Member since 2016 • 1163 Posts

The first 2 are alright, though they are decently challenging. Would probably recommend the remake of the first one.

Snake Eater is when they start to really get good.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11677 Posts

@nolanw485: I personally think calling people ''casual gamer'' is an expression usually used for those having a superiority complex, and isn't good for the community as a whole.

Now onto your question, Metal Gear Solid, from a difficulty perspective is 'flexible'.

Some of the game series content is pretty demanding. However, not going for these optional challenges shouldn't damage the intended experience. The games themselves have difficulty options, and let you shoot down hordes of soldiers. None-the-less, if you play like the latter? Don't expect a good rating as the credits roll.

nolanw485

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 nolanw485

@RSM-HQ: Thanks for the feedback. I just started to play some MGS2, and I am enjoying it.

henrythefifth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10 henrythefifth
Member since 2016 • 2502 Posts

In MGS2, the boss enemies are easiest. Toughest bosses, on the other hand, are in MGS4. Man, I ragequit several times with the vampire and the floating puppeteer thingy there...

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#11  Edited By Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@nolanw485 said:

So i would call myself a casual gamer. I want to get into the Metal Gear Solid series, but I am not sure if it is right for me. I really suck a stealth games. I have tried metal gear solid V TPP, but I was just god awful at it. Also what Metal Gear Solid game is the best for a beginner?

First there is no such thing as a casual game or gamer.

If you like a story game then it´s a no brainer and Metal Gear is for you, its one of the best single player games out there when it comes to story.

rafero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 rafero
Member since 2017 • 1 Posts

@nolanw485: They're not difficult at all. It's quite a unique gameplay, but you'll get the hang on it really fast. The only issue is that the series heavily mention the past games, so if you jump to a newest game, you'll lose at least some reference jokes.

But they're really really fun!

DarkTower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DarkTower
Member since 2017 • 201 Posts

mgsv is really hard, it's not a casual game imo

stealth games in general aren't for casuals.

if you really enjoy stealth, then mgsv is perfect for you.

mgsv was actually my first metal gear game, and I think it's a decent starting place, just watch the snake eater movie on youtube before jumping in, you'll understand the story and characters a lot better.

mgsv has a lot of micromanagment and such that kinda turned me off, and the story is very incomplete and the game is so open world that there is no linearity with the story... at all. If you like the gameplay then it's a good game, if not, you're gonna be bored.

imo metal gear games have a niche fan base, but if you can appreciate KOJIMA - esque stuff then you'll like it.

RahXephon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 RahXephon
Member since 2017 • 5 Posts

I think that largely depends: Are you playing for the gameplay or are you playing for the story? If just the game, then absolutely! The games are fun and have many ways to approach play. If you're playing for story, however, you're probably going to want to get really involved.

WadeDMcGinnis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By WadeDMcGinnis
Member since 2014 • 117 Posts

God I hope Metal Gear Solid is for us casual gamers....if not, I am boned. Getting ready to do a franchise play through for the first time.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c56012aaa167
deactivated-5c56012aaa167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16 deactivated-5c56012aaa167
Member since 2016 • 2538 Posts

you have no problem with it.MGS games aren't really as challenging as people say.(excluding the 5th one at the beginning but you get more powerful the more you play which breaks the difficulty)

Dark_sageX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 236

#17 Dark_sageX
Member since 2003 • 3561 Posts

In terms of difficulty MGS5 is generally harder than the first MGS, if you want to get into the series I suggest you start with MGS1, if you can I highly recommend the remake MGS The Twin Snakes.