is Metacritic even a reliable critic source?

hraicar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By hraicar
Member since 2018 • 5 Posts

i've seen many fanboys attacking ps4 exclusives and a lot of "gamers" massively hating against ALL cod games (even MW2, the best cod ever made), also, TLoZ BotW at it's launch day was negatively criticized by PS4, XONE and PC fanboys.

i've purchased CoD BO3, NFS Payback, FC Primal and AC Syndicate, (the most hated games) i really had a lot of fun playing these games, even with it's cons.

and i'm planning to get WWII and Battlefront II. (i hate microtransations, but i loved it's gameplay)

sorry for bad english, i'm brazilian.

henrythefifth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#2 henrythefifth
Member since 2016 • 2502 Posts

Well, if you avoid the obvious fanboys and haters, you can get reliable info on the games...

On average, the haters and fanboys cancel each other out. Ten fanboys giving the game perfect 10, and ten haters giving the same game 0... So, they do not affect the meta score at all.

Avatar image for reaperinthyname
reaperinthyname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 reaperinthyname
Member since 2018 • 273 Posts

You're talking about user reviews on metacritic? Lol, that's the place where fanboys can troll away their hatreds. Not reliable at all.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

Not to me.

User reviews are full of extremes ("Too many 10/10 so I give 0/10", etc...)

Critic reviews are converted to a 10-point scale, often losing the actual meaning.

It's really worthless as a whole. Just read each review and take them with a grain of salt.

It's a System Wars tool at best.

Todddow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Todddow
Member since 2017 • 916 Posts

Maybe the best way to determine if you'll like a game is read about the basic gameplay and watch some gameplay vids.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts

OP Question

Answer: not really

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#7 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11670 Posts

@hraicar: I would say critics and other passionate opinions are just a researching stone, on your own preference.

In the end, perhaps use Metacritic as outside debatable knowledge, however the final say on a game is your own. When I look at reviews always look for keywords like "polished, good gameplay, great level design" etc. If a game heavily focuses on buzz words and overly focus on story/ graphics, that's a bad sign.

Regardless, going back to your perception. No one knows what >you< like and until you've given a game a chance, it could be a personal 10/10 or a 1/10.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#8 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@hraicar said:

i've seen many fanboys attacking ps4 exclusives and a lot of "gamers" massively hating against ALL cod games (even MW2, the best cod ever made), also, TLoZ BotW at it's launch day was negatively criticized by PS4, XONE and PC fanboys.

i've purchased CoD BO3, NFS Payback, FC Primal and AC Syndicate, (the most hated games) i really had a lot of fun playing these games, even with it's cons.

and i'm planning to get WWII and Battlefront II. (i hate microtransations, but i loved it's gameplay)

sorry for bad english, i'm brazilian.

Why would anyone look at "reviews" on Meta?

Never got the idea of allowing people to decide what you like or dislike. And with most games coming on sale with huge discounts, it´s not that expensive to buy the games you may be interested in.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44153 Posts

I use it to get a general consensus of professional reviews. I completely ignore user reviews though.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11670 Posts
@Archangel3371 said:

I use it to get a general consensus of professional reviews. I completely ignore user reviews though.

Kinda depressing that Metacritic and other sites has given User Reviews a bad reputation. On the sites I use; generally post reviews I'm passionate to explain and do so with details I consider Gamers would appreciate knowing, without spoiling the context of the game itself.

Oh well, it's just the world we live in now, and honestly don't blame you, everyone is sick of troIIing fanbois 'reviewing' games they've clearly never played.

I'll still probably go out my way to post user viewers regardless, if they help give a single person good context about a game. That's good enough for me_

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44153 Posts

@RSM-HQ: Yeah it’s kind of sad how the toxicity of the internet and being anonymous ruins it for everyone else. Anyway keep at it as I’m sure there are those who definitely appreciate the honest feedback from people like you.

Avatar image for trevorphillipss
TrevorPhillipss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 TrevorPhillipss
Member since 2018 • 3 Posts

yes it defintaly is i mean come on?

so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#13 so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts

It's a reliable place to see the political ratings that people and websites make about products.

Lembu90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14 Lembu90
Member since 2015 • 665 Posts

Metacritic's user reviews are just bunch of fanboys at war with each other. Take the rivalry between Persona 5 and FFXV for examples. FFXV fanboys attacked Persona 5 for its delays, anime-style graphics to and plot to cater lonely otakus than anyone else, annoying side character(Morgana), no open world, etc. The Persona 5 fanboys fight back by pointing there's no (permanent)playable female characters, no romance, big and empty "open world", the "bromance" relationships that cater to lonely fujoshis than anyone else. The list could go on.

I'm not bother to check the user reviews for more popular games such as CoD and Battlefield series because I know both had toxic communities to begin with.