Is killing Americans in video games really not okay?

• 65 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Hexagon_777 (20348 posts) -

From the very first day I saw the new Assassin's Creed, the top creative people involved with the game assured me that their game, set during the American Revolution, was not a rah-rah, jingoistic USA #1 kind of video game.

"[People were worried] that it's going to be rah-rah-Team America and flag-waving," the game's creative director, Alex Hutchinson told me this past winter. "It's not something we wanted to do and it's not the story we wanted to tell, anyway."

Since then, the game's publisher has shown several trailers, released batches of screenshots and even had the game's developers play different sections of their game live throughout the week of E3, the year's annual showcase for the biggest video games.

Every time, in everything that's been shown, the half-British/half-Native-American hero Connor assassinates redcoats. Every time, he sheds not a drop of blood of the men in blue. He attacks no Colonists. He kills no Patriots. Why not? It seems that someone at Ubisoft has decided that gamers?American gamers, presumably?can't handle it.Kotaku

The above is only an excerpt so read the full thing here.

I find this to be an interesting discussion and have read this piece and am now working my way through the comments. With the Russians, Germans, and Brits generally being the vile, evil scum of the Earth in video games and other media, is it really not okay to have Americans pose a threat to the video game protagonist? Weigh in here, PGD!

#2 Posted by kaealy (2178 posts) -
Well, you kill tons of Americans in games like Max Payne. I don't really see the issue here, isn't the main protagonist more american than most? He's a mix of native and american blood. There's been tones of games where you kill americans, Max Payne is just one of them. Another exempel is Red Dead Redemption. I don't really see how the issue has flared up with Assassins creed, because I guess the issue from the beginning was about killing americans as another "nation". But that doesn't even apply on the newest upcoming Asssasins creed.
#3 Posted by Hexagon_777 (20348 posts) -

Well, you kill tons of Americans in games like Max Payne. I don't really see the issue here, isn't the main protagonist more american than most? He's a mix of native and american blood. There's been tones of games where you kill americans, Max Payne is just one of them. Another exempel is Red Dead Redemption. I don't really see how the issue has flared up with Assassins creed, because I guess the issue from the beginning was about killing americans as another "nation". But that doesn't even apply on the newest upcoming Asssasins creed. kaealy
The protangonist is actually half English and half Native American and this is taking place in a historic event i.e. it actually happened. You have the colonists and you have the Queen's men.

#4 Posted by Ilovegames1992 (14221 posts) -

There are plenty of American villains. Mainly games set in America though.

The British, Ruskies and other foreigners are more villainous in games.

#5 Posted by kaealy (2178 posts) -

[QUOTE="kaealy"]Well, you kill tons of Americans in games like Max Payne. I don't really see the issue here, isn't the main protagonist more american than most? He's a mix of native and american blood. There's been tones of games where you kill americans, Max Payne is just one of them. Another exempel is Red Dead Redemption. I don't really see how the issue has flared up with Assassins creed, because I guess the issue from the beginning was about killing americans as another "nation". But that doesn't even apply on the newest upcoming Asssasins creed. Hexagon_777

The protangonist is actually half English and half Native American and this is taking place in a historic event i.e. it actually happened. You have the colonists and you have the Queen's men.

So he's native american and british? Then my point still stands. We know absolutely nothing about the main plot yet, maybe the "americans" are the good guys in this. I am european by the way, so I could care less about american patriotism. But there's been loads of games where you kill Americans in historical settings.
Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
#6 Posted by Shame-usBlackley (18266 posts) -

Americans die all over the place in all kinds of games. I've killed a ton of them in too many games to count.

I think what the devs of Assassin's Creed are most worried about is that they don't end up placing Connor in a position where he is fighting for the wrong side, because, historically, the English were viewed as the dicks of that conflict that eventually LOSE -- that's just how it is. It is likely that Connor, as the protagonist, picks the winning side of the conflict, perhaps not through the entire game, but a good portion of it. Now, what Ubisoft also has to be careful with is to portray how the American Colonists' belief in Manifest Destiny filled them false righteousness and they completely fuc*ed over the red man and his views about the earth being a living thing they shared, not something to be developed and exploited. That is also just how it was, but that angle doesn't get told very much. They need to get this part right especially because Connor himself is part Native American.

I think the only thing Ubi should really do it remain historically accurate. Their will be some whiners (on both sides, and perhaps none quite as dumb as the fuc*sticks at Kotaku), but no reasonable person will criticize them for telling it how it was. There's a story to be told here: Colonists flee England due to the English being penises, get to America, and act like penises to the Natives whose land they just took over. England comes over and gets all up in their grills because they were (for a short time longer, at least) the big kid on the block, and they didn't like a bunch of pissants claiming this great big old piece of land as their own. So they come over and said pissants fight back, and, eventually, kick that ass. In the midst of all this are the Spanish, Dutch, and French, and the whole thing was just a good old-fashioned cluster screw, but it's a helluva setting for a game -- assuming they have the balls to tell it like it happened.

#7 Posted by DraugenCP (8485 posts) -

People who bring up games like GTA are missing the point. In games such as these, there isn't this sense of, shall we say, 'otherness' that you have in video games such as Frontlines: Fuel of War, Homefront or pre-MW2 Call of Duty games. I think we all know that a game featuring a Russian soldier who has to save the world from American imperialism by shooting hundreds of its invading soldiers would be extremely problematic on the Western market, hence why such games, for as far as I know, don't exist, with the exception of maybe some seperate missions in Arma 2.

In the current market, in which the US still have a large share, it would probably not be very likely for a game to force you to kill Americans en masse while playing as the representor of a foreign nation (talking about military, etc.). I think we all remember the hypocritical drivel that was being spewed by critics when it was announced that Medal of Honor 2010 was going to allow players to play as the Taliban. But with the groing influx of Eastern European games, we might see this changing eventually.

#8 Posted by Shame-usBlackley (18266 posts) -

I think we all know that a game featuring a Russian soldier who has to save the world from American imperialism by shooting hundreds of its invading soldiers would be extremely problematic on the Western market, hence why such games, for as far as I know, don't exist, with the exception of maybe some seperate missions in Arma 2.

DraugenCP

I don't see it as a patriotic issue so much as one of entertainment and the fact that most shooters try to at least feather the line of history. These are games first, and entertainment second. Your Russian example would be fine because it's hilariously removed from history or reality. I'd actually dig the sh!t out of a game where Russian people are screaming, "The Americans ARE COMING!" having grown up in the early 80s during the Red Scare and Cold War. Hell, I'd go so far as to say it might be therapeutic. However, games have to be entertaining as well. The reason we don't see a Georgian soldier killing off hundreds of invading Russians is because it is not factually and historically accurate and would be boring when framed in the light of a real conflict like the one that occurred back in 2008. I think most shooter fans like their games to be based on historical or at least plausibly historical incidents. I don't, but I think the hardcore, headcase shooter fans do.

#9 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (25253 posts) -

I often play as insurgent and target American GIs in ARMA 2. It doesn't make any difference to me. I just think of it as me playing OPFOR stuff.

arma2OA2010-11-1923-22-20-49.jpg

#10 Posted by ydnarrewop (2287 posts) -
Jeeze I wonder how the Germans feel...
#11 Posted by Minishdriveby (10519 posts) -
Yeah, I too found it a little weird. It does seem like he is only killing the British, especially after lines like 'they speak of Liberty, but I'm weary of who this liberty is for.' then he rushes off and kills 50 British soldiers. You think he would be a little more aggressive towards the colonists, seeing as they raped and pillaged his village. It'll be surprising to see if there are any neutral missions where you take out a colonist, other than a colonist spy/traitor. As for everyone saying they've killed plenty of Americans in other games. Those games have an American protagonist hunting men who aren't labeled American to the audience, "drug dealers," "outlaws," "immigrants," "bad guys," etc. So the American public doesn't really identify them as being 'American.' On the other hand if a American good guy dies it's a sad death. In this game you would clearly be killing the colonists, and I can see a lot of ultra-nationalistic/patriotic Americans like FOX news getting pissed off if the American colonists are seen as a neutral target for a unwavering fist. It'll be interesting to see how people react to BioShock Infinite.
#12 Posted by Jackc8 (8515 posts) -

Killing your own people wouldn't go over well no matter what country you live in. I mean, how much intelligence does it take to figure that out?

Video games are products which need to appeal to their customers in order to sell well.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
#13 Posted by deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9 (7779 posts) -

I wouldn't mind killing Americans in a game.

#14 Posted by DraugenCP (8485 posts) -

[QUOTE="DraugenCP"]

I think we all know that a game featuring a Russian soldier who has to save the world from American imperialism by shooting hundreds of its invading soldiers would be extremely problematic on the Western market, hence why such games, for as far as I know, don't exist, with the exception of maybe some seperate missions in Arma 2.

Shame-usBlackley

I don't see it as a patriotic issue so much as one of entertainment and the fact that most shooters try to at least feather the line of history. These are games first, and entertainment second. Your Russian example would be fine because it's hilariously removed from history or reality. I'd actually dig the sh!t out of a game where Russian people are screaming, "The Americans ARE COMING!" having grown up in the early 80s during the Red Scare and Cold War. Hell, I'd go so far as to say it might be therapeutic. However, games have to be entertaining as well. The reason we don't see a Georgian soldier killing off hundreds of invading Russians is because it is not factually and historically accurate and would be boring when framed in the light of a real conflict like the one that occurred back in 2008. I think most shooter fans like their games to be based on historical or at least plausibly historical incidents. I don't, but I think the hardcore, headcase shooter fans do.

There is a core of truth in this, but at the same time we have seen shooters in which Russians and even North Koreans invade the USA, scenarios I think equally unlikely as Americans invading Russia. There even is a game, albeit not a very good one, in which you invade Russia as an American soldier, called Frontlines: Fuel of War. The role of the Russians in this game is especially interesting from a cultural point of view, because the story basically boils down to the USA invading Russia for oil and other resources (not a very moral casus belli, to say the least), yet the game still manages to portray the Russians as evil because they reportedly commit war crimes and force their supposedly unwilling civilians to fight against the invading Americans. So I think the lack of a historical basis to make a story seem credible alone isn't enough to explain the absence of shooters in which the Americans are the bad guys.

It's also the simple fact of much of the shooter audience being based in North America and a relatively US-oriented Western-Europe. I think the reason behind the relative lack of Russian or otherwise 'non-Western' protagonists in war-themed games is very comparable to the underrepresentation of female protagonists in video games in general. It's a simple case of demographics, and many developers (including European ones) seem to think 'we' as Westeners seem to be able to identify ourselves more easily with an American soldier, although I personally believe that this effect is overestimated as far as the European audience is concerned (as a Dutchman, I can't really identify myself with an American GI).

#15 Posted by da_chub (3140 posts) -
we americans are very senistive and childish. We can look at 90% naked 17 year old girls on tv...but if a 19 year old woman exposes a nipple by accident, then its all over the news for weeks about how upsetting it is to see.
#16 Posted by Shame-usBlackley (18266 posts) -

There is a core of truth in this, but at the same time we have seen shooters in which Russians and even North Koreans invade the USA, scenarios I think equally unlikely as Americans invading Russia. There even is a game, albeit not a very good one, in which you invade Russia as an American soldier, called Frontlines: Fuel of War. The role of the Russians in this game is especially interesting from a cultural point of view, because the story basically boils down to the USA invading Russia for oil and other resources (not a very moral casus belli, to say the least), yet the game still manages to portray the Russians as evil because they reportedly commit war crimes and force their supposedly unwilling civilians to fight against the invading Americans. So I think the lack of a historical basis to make a story seem credible alone isn't enough to explain the absence of shooters in which the Americans are the bad guys.

It's also the simple fact of much of the shooter audience being based in North America and a relatively US-oriented Western-Europe. I think the reason behind the relative lack of Russian or otherwise 'non-Western' protagonists in war-themed games is very comparable to the underrepresentation of female protagonists in video games in general. It's a simple case of demographics, and many developers (including European ones) seem to think 'we' as Westeners seem to be able to identify ourselves more easily with an American soldier, although I personally believe that this effect is overestimated as far as the European audience is concerned (as a Dutchman, I can't really identify myself with an American GI).

DraugenCP

Exactly, and that makes it hard to tell -- is it misplaced nationalism or the fact that the few games that offer alternate realities just aren't very good that prevents people from buying them, which makes fewer development houses want to take the risk of making one? The shooter market is brutal even to games that aren't trying to break any molds or buck any trends. Many conventional shooters die a silent death simply because the market is so clogged with them. They are literally getting to be a dime a dozen.

Avatar image for thedarklinglord
#17 Posted by thedarklinglord (1004 posts) -
I'm mostly indifferent to who/what I'm killing in video games. Zombies, aliens, demons, angels, cultists, madmen, anthropomorphic animals. Nazis, Russians, Viet Cong, Redcoats, Taliban, Americans. Scientists, thugs, police officers, pimps, gangsters, soldiers, innocent bystanders. Christians, Jews, Muslims. Caucasians, Hispanics, Blacks, Native Americans, Asians. Men, women, children, animals. Straight, gay bisexual. Either everyone is fair game or nobody is. Now, I'd absolutely rail against any game that seemed to intentionally and maliciously promote a message of hate or attitude of intolerance toward a specific group. (Though, I'm more apt to simply not buy/play the damn thing than I am to write a rant in my blog and go on a personal crusade against it because, let's face it, there are hundreds, thousands, if not millions of stupid, hateful, narrowminded douchewads in the world, and working yourself into a frothing tizzy over their rampant idiocy isn't likely to change them or the people who share or are inclined to share their views.) But I don't think that happens all that often, where the developers are using their games as propaganda to advance their personal prejudices or as a vehicle to incite intolerance and hatemongering. Mostly, I think people have their own agendas, or some pathological need to blow things way out of proportion and spew negativity, and so they choose to see such social outrages and offenses, suggestions of pro-racism or homophobia or sexism or whatever, where none exist or were intended. At worst, you could possibly argue that the developers had a lapse in judgment or sensitivity. But then, it could very well be that the developers didn't consider how something in their game might be construed as some pro-/anti- statement because they weren't looking at it with the skewed perception of someone who's just spoiling to raise issues of controversy. Some people seriously need to unclench their sphincters. Where video games are concerned? I'll beat a blind, pregnant, black, Jewish, Navy SEAL dwarf to death with a crowbar if I think a health pack might come popping out of her belly. (Though, to my knowledge, no such character has yet been represented in a video game. And why the hell not?! That's discrimination, right there.)
#18 Posted by Ilovegames1992 (14221 posts) -

I'm mostly indifferent to who/what I'm killing in video games. Zombies, aliens, demons, angels, cultists, madmen, anthropomorphic animals. Nazis, Russians, Viet Cong, Redcoats, Taliban, Americans. Scientists, thugs, police officers, pimps, gangsters, soldiers, innocent bystanders. Christians, Jews, Muslims. Caucasians, Hispanics, Blacks, Native Americans, Asians. Men, women, children, animals. Straight, gay bisexual. Either everyone is fair game or nobody is. Now, I'd absolutely rail against any game that seemed to intentionally and maliciously promote a message of hate or attitude of intolerance toward a specific group. (Though, I'm more apt to simply not buy/play the damn thing than I am to write a rant in my blog and go on a personal crusade against it because, let's face it, there are hundreds, thousands, if not millions of stupid, hateful, narrowminded douchewads in the world, and working yourself into a frothing tizzy over their rampant idiocy isn't likely to change them or the people who share or are inclined to share their views.) But I don't think that happens all that often, where the developers are using their games as propaganda to advance their personal prejudices or as a vehicle to incite intolerance and hatemongering. Mostly, I think people have their own agendas, or some pathological need to blow things way out of proportion and spew negativity, and so they choose to see such social outrages and offenses, suggestions of pro-racism or homophobia or sexism or whatever, where none exist or were intended. At worst, you could possibly argue that the developers had a lapse in judgment or sensitivity. But then, it could very well be that the developers didn't consider how something in their game might be construed as some pro-/anti- statement because they weren't looking at it with the skewed perception of someone who's just spoiling to raise issues of controversy. Some people seriously need to unclench their sphincters. Where video games are concerned? I'll beat a blind, pregnant, black, Jewish, Navy SEAL dwarf to death with a crowbar if I think a health pack might come popping out of her belly. (Though, to my knowledge, no such character has yet been represented in a video game. And why the hell not?! That's discrimination, right there.)thedarklinglord

I'll play that game.

Avatar image for almasdeathchild
#19 Posted by almasdeathchild (8922 posts) -

I wouldn't mind killing Americans in a game.

Postmortem123

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
#20 Posted by deactivated-59b71619573a1 (38222 posts) -

I think why British and RUssians are villains more are mainly of course because Americans make the games but also the accents suit a villain much better. Russians sound evil naturally,which I actually love that accent. And British people sound sinister and cunning as villains. The posh British accents sound smart even if the people aren't.

But I think we need more games killing americans. Just to even the playing field. But I kill Russians and Americans everyday in BF3 so I'm good :P

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
#21 Posted by deactivated-57e5de5e137a4 (12929 posts) -
Kotoku is the most consistently full of crap "write for clicks" gaming sites out there. They have said that at various times you will be working for different sides. If the part they are demoing is the part where you are fighting the British, what reason would they have to kill civilians? That's always been a no-no in Assassin's Creed.
#22 Posted by Metamania (12031 posts) -

I think why British and RUssians are villains more are mainly of course because Americans make the games but also the accents suit a villain much better. Russians sound evil naturally,which I actually love that accent. And British people sound sinister and cunning as villains. The posh British accents sound smart even if the people aren't.

But I think we need more games killing americans. Just to even the playing field. But I kill Russians and Americans everyday in BF3 so I'm good :P

seanmcloughlin

As long as you don't it in real-life, it's good, you mean? :P

#24 Posted by wmg1299 (1154 posts) -

I find this topic very interesting. I wonder if developers would ever be bold as to set a high-profile game during the Civil War. The Revolutionary War offers the Brittish as an opponent, but the Civil War would leave no option but to kill American troops.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
#25 Posted by deactivated-59b71619573a1 (38222 posts) -

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

Metamania

Oh yeah... sure :P *Shifty eyes*

#26 Posted by Brendissimo35 (1933 posts) -

I don't see anything wrong with it, as an American gamer. If we can kill virtual soldiers from countless other armies, it's really only fair. It's not like most games glorify killing them BECAUSE they are American.

Now I'm hoping your fears about AC3 end up being unconfirmed, but I could definitely see why they would minimize it from a sales perspective. Maybe they just don't want the game on Fox News or CNN, so they are not running any footage of killing Americans in the teasers.

#27 Posted by Brendissimo35 (1933 posts) -

I find this topic very interesting. I wonder if developers would ever be bold as to set a high-profile game during the Civil War. The Revolutionary War offers the Brittish as an opponent, but the Civil War would leave no option but to kill American troops.

wmg1299

There have been some games, but nothing very high budget or critically successful. The thing is, there is a ton of potential for narrative depth in that war. I could see why devs don't make too many WW1 games, because almost nothing (except slaughter) would happen, but the Civil War could be GOLD for a first person narrative based shooter.

#28 Posted by Diehardgames2 (1018 posts) -
I really don't care, if I'm honest. If they're an enemy in a game, I'll shoot them or beat them senseless. It's only a game, after all.
#29 Posted by Metamania (12031 posts) -

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

seanmcloughlin

Oh yeah... sure :P *Shifty eyes*

:lol:

#30 Posted by D1zzyCriminal (1839 posts) -

[QUOTE="thedarklinglord"]I'll beat a blind, pregnant, black, Jewish, Navy SEAL dwarf to death with a crowbar if I think a health pack might come popping out of her belly.Ilovegames1992

I'll play that game.

That there; is what videogames are about.

#31 Posted by Sagacious_Tien (12562 posts) -
If they are the enemy, then so be it. Perhaps they are trying to be sensitive to U.S tastes. It is a french company making a canadian game which allows you to kill on both sides. Showing only one side seems a little like they are saving face - and they have spoken of this as keeping spoilers low.
#32 Posted by IndianaPwns39 (5037 posts) -

Ubisoft mentioned that the real enemy remains the Templar. It makes sense to me that the majority of the Templars would be British, at least during the Civil War portion of the game. They also said the game takes place over 30 years of Connor's life. Perhaps they can't show gameplay of Connor fighting Americans because it will spoil the storyline. What if after the British are exiled something happens to Connor and he dons the traditional red color the assassins normally wear? Something minor like that, but maybe there are reasons Ubisoft is avoiding it.

#33 Posted by meetroid8 (21152 posts) -
Making the antagonists be the founding fathers would just be begging for a PR disaster.
#34 Posted by SPYDER0416 (16736 posts) -

Are they ignoring the Americans we kill in most games? Even games where they aren't the main baddies we tend to kill at least one, heck in MW2 the main bad guy was an American General, and we threw a knife in his eye and killed a bunch of (supposedly AMerican) spec ops soldiers.

#35 Posted by Ghost_702 (7405 posts) -

Obviously Americans are seen as evil to the Native American people. Since Connor is part Native, I would assume he'll do his fair share of colonial killing, especially right after they burn his village down. However, as far as I've read, Connor shares the ideals of the colonists in their search for freedom, which is why we see him fighting by their side. I don't know if you would even refer to Connor as fighting with the colonists, but for himself. It may just so happen that he has his own reasons for killing redcoats (whether or not those reasons are in relation to the colonists) and he just appears to be aiding the American Revolution. Pairing up with leaders such as George Washington, Benedict Arnold, Marquis de La Fayette, and Thomas Jefferson could aide Connor's cause for vengeance and the assassin brotherhood.

#36 Posted by XIntoTheBlue (1070 posts) -
Seriously? Why would American gamers be all offended by having the opportunity to off fictional Americans? I'm American and it matters not to me. I'd be grateful if they add some American politicians. They're ripe for the picking lol.
#37 Posted by BloodScarlet (61 posts) -
Games like GTA, Max Payne, or etc are totally different you kill a small group of Americans who are evil, and not the country as a whole. If there was a game based on a war against America, and you played as the other side then the problems would arise since you would be fighting the country as a whole. Russian's, and some Europeans don't care anymore; and corporate's don't worry about Middle Eastern/African countries because we barely have a consumer based to sell to over there. The larger market is in the US thus corporate's avoid controversy. But, in my opinion i wouldn't mind playing a game killing Americans.
#38 Posted by TJORLY (3298 posts) -

Its Assassin's creed. Chances are there'll be Templars on both sides of the conflict.

More than likely they're hiding the levels where you kill Americans for marketing reasons or you'll only go after the American templars right at the end like in *SPOILER*

Revelations where the the mastermind of everything is an Ottoman templar, while you spent the game killing Byzantine Templars for him.

#39 Posted by OB-47 (10909 posts) -

How dare they kill the land of the pure 'Muricans and pure 'Murica!

Avatar image for the_ChEeSe_mAn2
#40 Posted by the_ChEeSe_mAn2 (8463 posts) -
Because some Americans and probably a majority of the American media wouldn't stomach it. Good riddance, I say.
#41 Posted by DaBrainz (7959 posts) -
Apparently its ok for anybody to murder anybody as long as its not interracial.
#42 Posted by brucecambell (1489 posts) -

I would love to play a military shooter as Russians killing American Terrorists. It would cool to see the other side lol.

#43 Posted by edinsftw (4244 posts) -

Its fine, generally we americans really dont have pride in our country or the people in our country anymore so i doubt anyone really cares.

#44 Posted by AzelKosMos (34194 posts) -

I would love to play a military shooter as Russians killing American Terrorists. It would cool to see the other side lol.

brucecambell
Agreed, I don't have an issue with the US it's just the change of perspective would be nice for a change.
#45 Posted by BuryMe (22017 posts) -

Killing Americans in a videogame is just as ok as kiliing any one else. It can be wrong, (for example, if it were a genocide-style killing where you're just trying to exterminate a race for no reason,) but the mere concepet of having americans as the bad guy is perfectly fine.

People don't seem to object to kiling Germans or Japanese in WWII games. Same principle here.

#46 Posted by sherman-tank1 (8315 posts) -

Killing Americans isn't any different from killing Britsh, Germans, Russians, Chinese, etc.

#47 Posted by Kell_the_Gamer (873 posts) -

Ilovegames1992
This is really annoying, not all of us are super unpatriotic that would cry bloody murder over us being villains to another country. :| Something else I notice is in games/movies where the main character is a villain, the antagonist will be a rival villain, the bad guys are never allowed to win and Americans are not allowed to be evil unless the heroes who'll save the day are other Americans.... I know there are game where you can kill Americans like in war games, but I can't think of any games where Americans are the main villains you have to defeat.
#48 Posted by sherman-tank1 (8315 posts) -

[QUOTE="Ilovegames1992"]

Kell_the_Gamer

This is really annoying, not all of us are super unpatriotic that would cry bloody murder over us being villains to another country. :| Something else I notice is in games/movies where the main character is a villain, the antagonist will be a rival villain, the bad guys are never allowed to win and Americans are not allowed to be evil unless the heroes who'll save the day are other Americans.... I know there are game where you can kill Americans like in war games, but I can't think of any games where Americans are the main villains you have to defeat.

I think a lot of it has to due with the fact a game that had the Americans as villians would create negative backlash on the game and keep some casuals away.

#49 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (25253 posts) -

Not many games allow killing of Americans. That's why I like simulators like ARMA2. The built-in editor allows me to create scenarios targeting Americans and putting civilians in the line of fire.

arma2OA2012-06-1911-21-40-08.jpg

I wouldn't have a problem with games targetting Americans, especially gangbangers. I'd waste em in a heartbeat.

#50 Posted by Vari3ty (11111 posts) -

It's ok by me, and I'm American.