is it wrong to still love video games? Im 29 yo

This topic is locked from further discussion.

quasarwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 quasarwolf
Member since 2011 • 242 Posts
the way i see it is this; our grandparents grew up when TV first aired, and they still watch TV today, their parents grew up with radio and they said the same thing to their kids about watching TV. our parents grew up with computers coming into populairity and and they got negitive input from growing up in the PC haydays. now i was raised on nintendo, with 6 boys in your family it was the only thing to keep us from killing eachother (besides making us beat eachother up sometimes). now people say im stupid for loving videogames so much. people say im still immature. but im pretty sure i will love video games well into my older days. as video games continue to grow with our generation i cant imagine not being entertained by them in the future. my interestes cannot be turned off like a switch. im hooked for life, just like my parents with computers, their parents with psycadellics, their parents with TV and their parents with radio.
TheTrueMagusX1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 TheTrueMagusX1
Member since 2009 • 2560 Posts

the way i see it is this; our grandparents grew up when TV first aired, and they still watch TV today, their parents grew up with radio and they said the same thing to their kids about watching TV. our parents grew up with computers coming into populairity and and they got negitive input from growing up in the PC haydays. now i was raised on nintendo, with 6 boys in your family it was the only thing to keep us from killing eachother (besides making us beat eachother up sometimes). now people say im stupid for loving videogames so much. people say im still immature. but im pretty sure i will love video games well into my older days. as video games continue to grow with our generation i cant imagine not being entertained by them in the future. my interestes cannot be turned off like a switch. im hooked for life, just like my parents with computers, their parents with psycadellics, their parents with TV and their parents with radio. quasarwolf

There is nothing wrong with you at all. The stigma put on us gamers is quite sad, and that gaming itself is an artform that we all appreciate. I am going to be 28, happily married, and I have a son, and I still game. I am proud of being a gamer, and you should be as well. Who cares if others think you are a "nerd", or what not, your a gamer, thats what you are and be proud of it. I always tell people I game, and sometimes they do scoff, I just simply smirk. We all come from teh same age group and you and I anyone else around ehre who are older will grow old gaming. Donot let the misinformed mainstream scare you away, as they are ignorant to most things. You are not...

quasarwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 quasarwolf

[QUOTE="quasarwolf"]the way i see it is this; our grandparents grew up when TV first aired, and they still watch TV today, their parents grew up with radio and they said the same thing to their kids about watching TV. our parents grew up with computers coming into populairity and and they got negitive input from growing up in the PC haydays. now i was raised on nintendo, with 6 boys in your family it was the only thing to keep us from killing eachother (besides making us beat eachother up sometimes). now people say im stupid for loving videogames so much. people say im still immature. but im pretty sure i will love video games well into my older days. as video games continue to grow with our generation i cant imagine not being entertained by them in the future. my interestes cannot be turned off like a switch. im hooked for life, just like my parents with computers, their parents with psycadellics, their parents with TV and their parents with radio. TheTrueMagusX1

There is nothing wrong with you at all. The stigma put on us gamers is quite sad, and that gaming itself is an artform that we all appreciate. I am going to be 28, happily married, and I have a son, and I still game. I am proud of being a gamer, and you should be as well. Who cares if others think you are a "nerd", or what not, your a gamer, thats what you are and be proud of it. I always tell people I game, and sometimes they do scoff, I just simply smirk. We all come from teh same age group and you and I anyone else around ehre who are older will grow old gaming. Donot let the misinformed mainstream scare you away, as they are ignorant to most things. You are not...

I am very comfortable with being a gamer. mostly, like toys, video games will only go up in value as they age, and games like COD and The Elder Scrolls series, i cannot imagine a little kid playing those games like we played mario and zelda. thanks for the awesome reply. PLAY IT LOUD, PLAY IT PROUD.
0diN_7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 0diN_7
Member since 2010 • 1061 Posts

I'm 24 and I love gaming. It's not some thing that you just grow out of when you get older (at least not for me). People are ignorant and shouldn't be listened to when they say things like that.

asherlin77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 asherlin77
Member since 2004 • 2453 Posts

Hell no it's not wrong. I was a gamer back when it wasn't "cool". Now every frat house in america has multiple video game consoles and everyone is gaming. I'm 33 and I'll always be a gamer. It's just a way of life. You can't take something that's been a part of who you are for your entire life and then just dismiss it because another year rolls around. You gonna stop watching TV because you're 30, 40 or 50?

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#6 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

It is not wrong to love playing videogames. So your 29 years old. I'm 38 I still like to play. Not as much as when I was 16years old. But there is nothing wrong. If you are not hurting anyone and if gaming doesn't interfere with other aspects of your life.

So keep playing until you decide to stop.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#7 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts

gaming is a form of entertainment, just like reading a book ,watching a movie or listening to music.

when I was a teenager, my dad used to complain as to why I play video games, because he saw them as intended for little children.

I told him I will stop playing video games when he stops watching movies.

he never bothered me about again, and I think he was surprised to find people at his workplace who play video games , and are in their 30s, which might have changed his views too.

wilmepe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 wilmepe
Member since 2005 • 173 Posts

Nothing wrong with still playing videogames. I'm 36 and I still play quite a bit. Not as much as I used to of course. There with be days without showers and staying in my pjammas back in the NES days. I always say video games kept me out of trouble also. There are lot worse things to be doing.

AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts
I didn't even bother to read the original post, just read the title. The answer is hell to the **** no! Video games are a hobby just like any other and you should never be ashamed of what you enjoy.
Ignicaeli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 Ignicaeli
Member since 2009 • 385 Posts

If its wrong to play being 29... what would you say about someone who is 31 (like me)?

Games are a legitimate and socially accepted entertainment media for all ages, not being even close to the stigma it had on the late 80s and 90s (You sure remember those days, where videogames were only for "kiddies").

quasarwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 quasarwolf
FO SHO! all you rock! thanks for the backup!
WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9543 Posts

You know, I thought gaming was cool before it was. Now days your only cool if you do things that were not cool 15-20 years ago... lmao.

No but on a serious note, I will probably play games up to my deathbed. Are we too old to listen to music we have liked for over 20 years? Are we too old to watch tv shows we liked 20 years ago? My answer is no, you are never too old to play games.

Just remember every time you hear some punk kid call you gramps or old man (I have heard it a million times playing online), that those kids parents put them in front of their tv as a babysitter to keep them out of their hair... lol.. at least that's the way I look at it. Im only 25 but I will still be gaming at 50, 75, however long I'm around...

I was playing a game the other day, and talked to a 96 year old man... I was blown away by that, but if I make it that long, hopefully it will be a little more common :P

Within the next 20 years I plan on completing a personal collection containingmost of the main consoles entire library of games. So, I say rock on.

If you have a PS3 and you are into shooters, hit me up. I am going to make a clan when SOCOM 4 releases. My user name is WitIsWisdom, and we are a strictly 18+ clan. Right now, I am playing Call of Duty Black Ops, Medal of Honor, and Gran Turismo 5.

x-2tha-z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#13 x-2tha-z
Member since 2003 • 8994 Posts
I'm of a similar age to the TC. I spend a lot of money on games. My friends probably spend as much, if not more, on cocaine. Is buying games a bad thing? Would it be better for me to spend my money on coke? I don't think so. I don't understand why some people think you should stop gaming once you reach a certain age. It's a hobby - an interest. People don't say "You're 45 and you still go fishing? Isn't it about time you grew out of that?" I played more football at a young age than I did gaming. Some of my friends still play Sunday league football. People don't say to them "You're 29 and you still play football? Isn't it about time you grew out of that?" You get my point. The thing about gaming is, most people have some time in the day when they have got nothing to do. If you want to spend that time playing your game platform of choice, that's entirely up to you. If you didn't spend that time gaming, you'd probably just spend it watching TV or watching a movie. Or should you also have grown out of TV and movie watching? What's left? At my age, is it still okay to read a book?
AndromedasWake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 AndromedasWake
Member since 2010 • 256 Posts
Only if you buy into the misinformed notion that videogames are just for kids. It's too bad so many people still think that's the case, despite how big gaming has gotten, and how much things like the Wii, DS, and now Kinect have opened it up to new gamers. But as gamers, we should be used to dealing with ignorant assumptions about our hobby, and ourselves.
TheTrueMagusX1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 TheTrueMagusX1

Only if you buy into the misinformed notion that videogames are just for kids. It's too bad so many people still think that's the case, despite how big gaming has gotten, and how much things like the Wii, DS, and now Kinect have opened it up to new gamers. But as gamers, we should be used to dealing with ignorant assumptions about our hobby, and ourselves.AndromedasWake

Yes I have seen people who are sadly misinformed. One guy said that gaming was for kids and he was gonig to buy the hottest game for his kids, that was Gears of War, and mind you the child was eight years old. Really?

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="AndromedasWake"]Only if you buy into the misinformed notion that videogames are just for kids. It's too bad so many people still think that's the case, despite how big gaming has gotten, and how much things like the Wii, DS, and now Kinect have opened it up to new gamers. But as gamers, we should be used to dealing with ignorant assumptions about our hobby, and ourselves.TheTrueMagusX1

Yes I have seen people who are sadly misinformed. One guy said that gaming was for kids and he was gonig to buy the hottest game for his kids, that was Gears of War, and mind you the child was eight years old. Really?

and then he probably complained why there was so much violence in the game because he didn't bother looking at the age ratings. some games are for kids , some aren't just like some books are for kids and some are not
TheTrueMagusX1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 TheTrueMagusX1

[QUOTE="TheTrueMagusX1"]

[QUOTE="AndromedasWake"]Only if you buy into the misinformed notion that videogames are just for kids. It's too bad so many people still think that's the case, despite how big gaming has gotten, and how much things like the Wii, DS, and now Kinect have opened it up to new gamers. But as gamers, we should be used to dealing with ignorant assumptions about our hobby, and ourselves.Darkman2007

and then he probably complained why there was so much violence in the game because he didn't bother looking at the age ratings. some games are for kids , some aren't just like some books are for kids and some are not

Yeah he probably did, see thats the problem with everyone, they blame the games themselves, but there is an obvious lack of information and too much misinformation that hits people who donot know much about gaming. If only there was a way we can educate a none gamer some way, but I donot know how considering the mass amount of ignorance that is out there.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"][QUOTE="TheTrueMagusX1"]

TheTrueMagusX1

Yeah he probably did, see thats the problem with everyone, they blame the games themselves, but there is an obvious lack of information and too much misinformation that hits people who donot know much about gaming. If only there was a way we can educate a none gamer some way, but I donot know how considering the mass amount of ignorance that is out there.

well isnt an age rating enough? its easy enough to understand, even my mother who knows nothing about gaming knows the age ratings. the only dumb thing here is that there are 2 different rating systems, though I hear they are going to change that.
TheTrueMagusX1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 TheTrueMagusX1

[QUOTE="TheTrueMagusX1"]

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"] and then he probably complained why there was so much violence in the game because he didn't bother looking at the age ratings. some games are for kids , some aren't just like some books are for kids and some are notDarkman2007

well isnt an age rating enough? its easy enough to understand, even my mother who knows nothing about gaming knows the age ratings. the only dumb thing here is that there are 2 different rating systems, though I hear they are going to change that.

Yeah there is a rating system, well here we only have the ESRB rating here. But none the less, yeah its not a hard system to follow infact the ESRB ratings have been praised and are considered better than other rating systems here in the States particular the MPAA rating system which is infamous for favortism.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Darkman2007

TheTrueMagusX1

Yeah there is a rating system, well here we only have the ESRB rating here. But none the less, yeah its not a hard system to follow infact the ESRB ratings have been praised and are considered better than other rating systems here in the States particular the MPAA rating system which is infamous for favortism.

the ratings here are strange. typically most games get rated by PEGI, which is a rating system that applies to the whole European Union , and some other countries in the Middle East too.

the thing is , if PEGI awards a game a rating of 18 , it has to be sent to the BBFC (British Board of Film Classification) , to be given a special rating by them.

also, until recently PEGI wasn't really in the picture, so most of my older PS3 and PS2 games for instance, have a rating from the BBFC ,

going back even further, all of my PAL PS1 and Saturn games are rated by the ELSPA, yet another European rating system that I don't think exists anymore, as it was replaced by PEGI.

jlaing2607

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 jlaing2607
Member since 2004 • 406 Posts

I've been gaming off and on since '88. I just got a 360 slim for x-mas so I'm hooked again to gaming. You only live once so do what you enjoy. Don't let social stigma steer you away from your gaming.

TheTrueMagusX1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 TheTrueMagusX1

[QUOTE="TheTrueMagusX1"]

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"] well isnt an age rating enough? its easy enough to understand, even my mother who knows nothing about gaming knows the age ratings. the only dumb thing here is that there are 2 different rating systems, though I hear they are going to change that.Darkman2007

the ratings here are strange. typically most games get rated by PEGI, which is a rating system that applies to the whole European Union , and some other countries in the Middle East too.

the thing is , if PEGI awards a game a rating of 18 , it has to be sent to the BBFC (British Board of Film Classification) , to be given a special rating by them.

also, until recently PEGI wasn't really in the picture, so most of my older PS3 and PS2 games for instance, have a rating from the BBFC ,

going back even further, all of my PAL PS1 and Saturn games are rated by the ELSPA, yet another European rating system that I don't think exists anymore, as it was replaced by PEGI.

Wow that is a bit comlicated interesting though. Do they have a bad rep either Pegi or BBFC?

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"]

[QUOTE="TheTrueMagusX1"]

TheTrueMagusX1

Wow that is a bit comlicated interesting though. Do they have a bad rep either Pegi or BBFC?

not really, but the BBFC was originally meant for movies, not games, so perhaps they are not the best qualified to judge a video game. The reason why the game industry is lobbying to have PEGI adopted everywhere is because different countries in Europe used to have their own ratings system , and it was just a waste of time, so its better to have one rating for the whole market.
TheTrueMagusX1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 TheTrueMagusX1

[QUOTE="TheTrueMagusX1"]

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"]

Darkman2007

not really, but the BBFC was originally meant for movies, not games, so perhaps they are not the best qualified to judge a video game. The reason why the game industry is lobbying to have PEGI adopted everywhere is because different countries in Europe used to have their own ratings system , and it was just a waste of time, so its better to have one rating for the whole market.

That would make sense and lessen that over complicated matter. PEGI from what you are telling me sounds pretty sound in their ratings. Sort of like how our ESRB is over here.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Darkman2007

TheTrueMagusX1

That would make sense and lessen that over complicated matter. PEGI from what you are telling me sounds pretty sound in their ratings. Sort of like how our ESRB is over here.

they arent all that different, but obviously the BBFC doesnt apply to the rest of Europe, wheres PEGI does, which is its main advantage
TheTrueMagusX1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 TheTrueMagusX1

[QUOTE="TheTrueMagusX1"]

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"] not really, but the BBFC was originally meant for movies, not games, so perhaps they are not the best qualified to judge a video game. The reason why the game industry is lobbying to have PEGI adopted everywhere is because different countries in Europe used to have their own ratings system , and it was just a waste of time, so its better to have one rating for the whole market.Darkman2007

they arent all that different, but obviously the BBFC doesnt apply to the rest of Europe, wheres PEGI does, which is its main advantage

I see, let me see if this is accurate, they are the ones behind the infamous video nasties list right? All those banned movies right?

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Darkman2007

TheTrueMagusX1

I see, let me see if this is accurate, they are the ones behind the infamous video nasties list right? All those banned movies right?

I don't think so actually, though obviously alot of movies they banned would have been considerd inappropriate anyways
TheTrueMagusX1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 TheTrueMagusX1

[QUOTE="TheTrueMagusX1"]

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"] they arent all that different, but obviously the BBFC doesnt apply to the rest of Europe, wheres PEGI does, which is its main advantageDarkman2007

I don't think so actually, though obviously alot of movies they banned would have been considerd inappropriate anyways

Hmmm I thought it was the BBFC, but now that I think about it, those banned movies were banned by parliament perhaps?

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Darkman2007

TheTrueMagusX1

Hmmm I thought it was the BBFC, but now that I think about it, those banned movies were banned by parliament perhaps?

the video nasties thing was really started by the media, and eventually there was legislation in the 80s, the BBFC just follows laws like that.

TheTrueMagusX1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 TheTrueMagusX1

[QUOTE="TheTrueMagusX1"]

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"] I don't think so actually, though obviously alot of movies they banned would have been considerd inappropriate anywaysDarkman2007

the video nasties thing was really started by the media, and eventually there was legislation in the 80s, the BBFC just follows laws like that.

Ok I see what you mean. Well anyhow, lets hope that never happens to gaming!

AjarnLenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#31 AjarnLenny
Member since 2009 • 260 Posts

Some things you grow away from, like playing with Star Wars Action figures and climbing in Monkey-bars and playing sports. Somethings you don't, like videogames and music. At least that's true for me.

ForzaAbruzzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#32 ForzaAbruzzo
Member since 2007 • 227 Posts

I know men well into their 40's with full-time careers and families, but are still very much into gaming. It has evolved into much more than a past-time for kids and teenagers. I'm 28 years old myself, and although I'mnot into gaming as much as I was in my younger days (mainly due to time constraints), I still very much enjoy playing through a good survival horror, FPS, or sports game every now and then. The market for gaming has expanded immensly over the past decade, and there's nothing at all wrong with full-grown adults being into it!

bigM10231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#33 bigM10231
Member since 2008 • 11240 Posts

TheTrueMagusX1

i say its the best rating system because it covers every type and easier to understand. eC early childhood for 3+, E Everyone for 6+ T teen for 13+ M mature for 17+(some stores still ID even if you look old enough and sometimes act like this rating is AO)AO adults only 18+(only 2 or 3 are really known made after ESRB was introduced, many more exist but unrated by esrb)RP rating pending(any of the above, never releases as RP)
Samslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Samslayer
Member since 2005 • 1852 Posts
I'm 25 and I probably play more games now than I did when I was younger mainly because of sports (I played college football) because it was such a time crunch.
TheTrueMagusX1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 TheTrueMagusX1

[QUOTE="TheTrueMagusX1"]

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"] well isnt an age rating enough? its easy enough to understand, even my mother who knows nothing about gaming knows the age ratings. the only dumb thing here is that there are 2 different rating systems, though I hear they are going to change that.bigM10231

i say its the best rating system because it covers every type and easier to understand. eC early childhood for 3+, E Everyone for 6+ T teen for 13+ M mature for 17+(some stores still ID even if you look old enough and sometimes act like this rating is AO)AO adults only 18+(only 2 or 3 are really known made after ESRB was introduced, many more exist but unrated by esrb)RP rating pending(any of the above, never releases as RP)

Your absolutely right on this. I agree, and yea its really a very easy and comprehensive system. Also there is no excuse for a parent to not know what is in the game as teh ESRB clearly puts the content listing on the back of the box.

snes_vs_ps1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 320

#36 snes_vs_ps1
Member since 2009 • 10359 Posts

One of my cousins is 42 years old now & he's gaming since the Atari 2600,after that he obviously became a Nintendo fan & then with Sony all the way since 1996.He plays on the PS3 daily.

kingdavid562

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#37 kingdavid562
Member since 2010 • 1173 Posts

i have felt the same way..

I'm 17 and I'm going to be 18 tomorow (IM SCARED LIKE **** :cry: )

and my mom tells me im to old for games..

but there are old people who play games.. like really old..

my 55 year old teacher said he was going to buy his husband the new grand turismo..

games are fun just like wachting tv or movies..

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Darkman2007

i have felt the same way..

I'm 17 and I'm going to be 18 tomorow (IM SCARED LIKE **** :cry:)

and my mom tells me im to old for games..

but there are old people who play games.. like really old..

my 55 year old teacher said he was going to buy his husband the new grand turismo..

games are fun just like wachting tv or movies..

kingdavid562
happy birthday btw
kingdavid562

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#39 kingdavid562
Member since 2010 • 1173 Posts

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
I'll still be playing games when I'm 80, provided I live that long.
Goobberzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#41 Goobberzz
Member since 2008 • 592 Posts
Never give up your passion for gaming. I know a guy who is in his 50s and he owns a game store.
lasseeb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 lasseeb
Member since 2010 • 1186 Posts
NO!
Double_Wide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 212

#43 Double_Wide
Member since 2006 • 1985 Posts
[QUOTE="Megavideogamer"]

It is not wrong to love playing videogames. So your 29 years old. I'm 38 I still like to play. Not as much as when I was 16years old. But there is nothing wrong. If you are not hurting anyone and if gaming doesn't interfere with other aspects of your life.

So keep playing until you decide to stop.

^ This! I'm 26 years old and didn't have any plans to give it up. I've been gaming since I was 4 and have yet to lose complete interest. I'll admit that I had a few hiatus in my life due to college and other priorities (I occassionally have off seasons) but like this guy just said, as long as you have your priorities in order, its all good.