Is it worth buying a PS2 again just for these games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Zeldafan221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 Zeldafan221
Member since 2009 • 1190 Posts

Well my brother and I want to play some great games we never got the chance to play. We have a PS3 but its the 40 gig, which we sold our PS2 and all the games we had for it in order to get the money for it.

They are only around 50$ now and if my brother and I combine our money we have enough to buy this system + the games we want.

I want to play Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3. I just got into the series after downloading and beating Metal Gear Solid on the PSN and I thought it was epic. I'm just gonna skip to 4 if its not worth it. Metal Gear Solid 2 is also only 3 bucks right now. I also might try to find the GBC games since I still have a GBA.

My brother wants to play pretty much... every GTA game on the PS2 after playing them at a friends house who still has a PS2. Trust me, they won't give it to us.

So... is this really worth it? I just want to get a general opinion.

EDIT: I don't know if I made this clear enough... I already HAD one, then when the 40Gig PS3's came out I sold it. I had lots of games for it, my brother and I just never got around to old GTA's, MGS, and Final Fantasy.

I've been gaming since the SNES/Genesis (not when it came out, but arounda year before the N64/PS1) and he's been playing since N64/PS1.

Avatar image for MillenialFair99
MillenialFair99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 MillenialFair99
Member since 2010 • 2866 Posts
[QUOTE="Zeldafan221"]

Well my brother and I want to play some great games we never got the chance to play. We have a PS3 but its the 40 gig, which we sold our PS2 and allthe games we had for it in order to getthe money for it.

They are only around 50$ now and if my brother and I combine our money we have enough to buy this system + the games we want.

I want to play Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3. I just got into the series after downloading and beating Metal Gear Solid on the PSN and I thought it was epic. I'm just gonna skip to 4 if its not worth it. Metal Gear Solid 2 is also only 3 bucks right now. I also might try to find the GBC games since I still have a GBA.

My brother wants to play pretty much... every GTA game on the PS2 after playing them at a friends house who still has a PS2. Trust me, they won't give it to us.

So... is this really worth it? I just want to get a general opinion.

MGS and GTA are really good, definitely get one. Also check out the Final Fantasy and Max Payne games.
Zeldafan221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Zeldafan221
Yeah i've thought about FF to, just to make it more worth it. I think I rented one of them on the PS2, loved it, and for some reason never bought it afterwards.
QuistisTrepe_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 QuistisTrepe_
Member since 2010 • 4121 Posts

The PS2 is just plain worth it period. We may not see another console with that kind of library again for quite some time.

superiorNilly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 superiorNilly
Member since 2007 • 547 Posts

I'd say go for it. The MGS and GTA games are some of my favourite.

johnnystarr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 1

#6 johnnystarr
Member since 2006 • 868 Posts

yes do it,

infact I did the same thing about a week ago

Zeldafan221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Zeldafan221
I guess it is worth it then. Thanks. I will thankfully only be spending about 35 bucks thanks to the fact that my bro is helping me buy it, and I won't be buying mgs3 until later when I have the money for it :)
Talldude80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#8 Talldude80
Member since 2003 • 6321 Posts

The PS2 is just plain worth it period. We may not see another console with that kind of library again for quite some time.

QuistisTrepe_

i agree completely. Off the top of my head some of the GREAT PS2 exclusives are Shadow of the Colossus, God of War I and II, Ace Combat 5, gran turismo4, tourist trophy, etc etc. and GTA San Andreas and Bully are 2 of my favorites.

Zanoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 Zanoh
Member since 2006 • 6942 Posts

For two games alone? No.

kittensRjerks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 kittensRjerks
Member since 2010 • 3802 Posts

There are sooo many great games for the PS2, it's totally worth it. Even if just for those 2 series.

Ashley_wwe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 Ashley_wwe
Member since 2003 • 13412 Posts

Yeah, definately. I will break it down for you and make it easier to know what games are what (how many there are etc.). Here are also some more games you should look in to:

Grand Theft Auto III, Vice City, San Andreas, Liberty City Stories and Vice City Stories
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons Of Liberty and/or 2: Substance (depends if you like to collect or not) and 3: Snake Eater and/or SubSISTENCE.

Also take a look at:

Tomb Raider series
Resident Evil series
Call Of Duty series
Medal Of Honor series

Oh andI definately recommend you look into the Splinter Cell series!

:).

RTUUMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 RTUUMM
Member since 2008 • 4859 Posts
WOW you and your brother a years late. But yeah sure go get a PS2 its worth it
Daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#13 Daavpuke
Member since 2009 • 13771 Posts

QuistisTrepe_
This, though I can't say I agree with some recommendations.
Hackers90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Hackers90
Member since 2009 • 939 Posts
I still play my PS2 occasionally, just cant beat the classics :D. Also The kingdom hearts games are magnificent! (Even though I haven't actually played them............yet:P)
psyko0815

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 psyko0815
Member since 2010 • 449 Posts

I still play my PS2 occasionally, just cant beat the classics :D. Also The kingdom hearts games are magnificent! (Even though I haven't actually played them............yet:P)Hackers90

How do you know they are magnificent if you've never played them?

Hackers90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Hackers90
Member since 2009 • 939 Posts

[QUOTE="Hackers90"]I still play my PS2 occasionally, just cant beat the classics :D. Also The kingdom hearts games are magnificent! (Even though I haven't actually played them............yet:P)psyko0815

How do you know they are magnificent if you've never played them?

Just knowing that the games combine both Final Fantasy and Disney is good enough for me :P. Plus I have a friend who is a major fan of them and has told me pretty much all there is to know about them. Allllllso I have watched videos on the gameplay lol. Im excited for the new next gen version thats being developed as we speak! (Or so I have heard)
hyper_trunkx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 hyper_trunkx
Member since 2004 • 6719 Posts
yea..the ps2 was amazing. still is. sold my ps2..but i wouldnt have if i didnt have a ps3 that was b/c. but yea its worth it..and theres plenty of other series out there u and ur bro would probably like as well.
Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#19 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts
Now is the BEST time to pick up a PS2. They are plentiful, cheap, and not highly sought after at the moment. A few years down the road and they will become retro collector's items and will start climbing in price again. I made that mistake with the Sega Saturn. I should have picked one up when Toys R Us was clearancing them. Instead I bought one years later, used, for about $100 when I could have gotten one for $29.99 brand-new with the original Demo Disc included.
Tenko72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 Tenko72
Member since 2003 • 662 Posts

Yes!!! IMO, one of the best consoles ever!!!

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
Definitly worth it, Even if it's for those games at first, you really should go out looking at other PS2 games. There are many and there are some real gems among them.
Zeldafan221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Zeldafan221
Ok, i'm getting it again then. I sometimes think I never should have sold my old PS2 and all its games just to get a PS3, I think I should have waited till I actually had all of the money. Thanks.
CDuG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 CDuG
Member since 2009 • 1946 Posts

Do yourself a favour and pick up Resident Evil 4 as well.

Zeldafan221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Zeldafan221

CDuG

Is it any better on the PS2 or something? I also have a Wii and had a Gamecube, so I still have its controlers and games, and I understand that RE4 is for the GC

JonahBailey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25 JonahBailey
Member since 2009 • 71 Posts

go for it man!

CDuG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 CDuG
Member since 2009 • 1946 Posts

[QUOTE="CDuG"]

Zeldafan221

Is it any better on the PS2 or something? I also have a Wii and had a Gamecube, so I still have its controlers and games, and I understand that RE4 is for the GC

Not sure to be honest, it just came to mind when you mentioned getting a PS2 and I just recently played through this for PS2 myself and loved it.

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 hakanakumono
Member since 2008 • 27455 Posts

There are so many great games for PS2, it's definitely worth it.

Oonga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Oonga
Member since 2010 • 633 Posts

For two games alone? No.

Zanoh

Considering hes putting $35 towards it and can buy both games for $3, why not? All comes to $41 which is cheaper than any current gen game. And who knows, he'll probably get interested in a few gems along the way.

Squall338

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Squall338
Member since 2010 • 28 Posts
Well the MGS games and FF are definitely all awesome. GTA is pretty sweet as well. http://www.play-asia.com/SOap-23-83-iqnt-71-40-84-j-70-oxw.html