Is it worth buying a Nintendo Switch instead of a PS4 PRO?

LittleAngryDog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By LittleAngryDog
Member since 2018 • 263 Posts

I already have a basic PS4. I was thinking of buying the PS4 PRO to play God of War and other amazing games on my 4K TV. But on the other hand I am in order to have varied and exotic games with a more nostalgic purpose. To play something a little different from these cinematic proponents that we are accustomed to seeing. So I thought about buying the Switch to be part of my family of consoles. What would you do in my place? What do you say?

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#2 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10478 Posts

@littleangrydog: the graphics whore in me would probably lean towards selling the standard ps4 for a pro so you can enjoy the extra power and 4k goodness, of sorts. i'd still get a switch in the coming months but initially i'd go with power over portability

LittleAngryDog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 LittleAngryDog

@Macutchi said:

@littleangrydog: the graphics whore in me would probably lean towards selling the standard ps4 for a pro so you can enjoy the extra power and 4k goodness, of sorts. i'd still get a switch in the coming months but initially i'd go with power over portability

I think it's really worth catching a Nintendo Switch because the console is super nostalgic and fun. It's a way to give your mind a break from these technological and graphic advances of today. When I think of Nintendo I do not care about the visual aspect of the games and think only about the fun. And at the same time Nintendo does not stop doing artfully beautiful things!

You can not see something like this and do not fall in love with it:

Loading Video...

Loading Video...

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

do you have a 4k TV ?

If you do I'd sell your Ps4 and a get a Ps4 Pro

LittleAngryDog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 LittleAngryDog

@thehig1 said:

do you have a 4k TV ?

If you do I'd sell your Ps4 and a get a Ps4 Pro

Did you read the topic description? Yes, I have a 4K TV.

I was playing Horizon Zero Dawn while thinking how is it possible to run something better than that. The resolution and graphics are already amazing. I was asking myself if it really is necessary to buy a more powerful console. If it would be better to invest in something more dynamic to vary a little.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#9 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11674 Posts

I have a launch PS4 and never thought the Pro had much redeemable qualities. Mostly seems to be for the 4K and VR crowd. Otherwise I read a lot of disappointment with the hardware.

Switch however is the current Nintendo system and comes with all the benefits you expect. It's tough to call it a full on handheld with such a weak battery, however hits a nice middle spot in which the graphics are still pretty good, yet not in a way considered an issue by many. Many games also run great on Switch; so that's my personal recommendation out of the two systems.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3481 Posts

If I were in your shoes, I'd get the Switch.

All I see with a PS4 Pro is upgraded graphics and performance. You are pretty much playing the same game, just paying extra $$$ for the console that is better spent on the Switch.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@littleangrydog: No I skimmed the topic description

LittleAngryDog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 LittleAngryDog

@omegamaster said:

If I were in your shoes, I'd get the Switch.

All I see with a PS4 Pro is upgraded graphics and performance. You are pretty much playing the same game, just paying extra $$$ for the console that is better spent on the Switch.

I'm really thinking about it.

LittleAngryDog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 LittleAngryDog

@RSM-HQ said:

I have a launch PS4 and never thought the Pro had much redeemable qualities. Mostly seems to be for the 4K and VR crowd. Otherwise I read a lot of disappointment with the hardware.

Switch however is the current Nintendo system and comes with all the benefits you expect. It's tough to call it a full on handheld with such a weak battery, however hits a nice middle spot in which the graphics are still pretty good, yet not in a way considered an issue by many. Many games also run great on Switch; so that's my personal recommendation out of the two systems.

The visual quality at 1080p is already so satisfying that I'm not sure if it's worth buying a PS4 PRO. I think it's worth extending and expanding my game list with a console from another company like Switch.

henrythefifth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#14 henrythefifth
Member since 2016 • 2502 Posts

PS4 Pro does not much change how games look, so go with Switch.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12577 Posts

Tough one, but I'd probably go with a switch. Ps5 will be here soon enough and you can just get one of those to make use of your 4k tv. If you're super thrifty, you might also be able to trade in your PS4 for $100, while buying a Pro for $320 on sale... so $220 for the Pro. Buy a Switch for $220(or there's a ton you can find used for less). So you have a Pro and a Switch for $440... This is great assuming you were gonna spend $400 on a Pro alone.(Not sure what your scenario was as far as if you were trading your PS4 in for a Pro or Switch)(Having just a Switch would be dumb, so I'm gonna assume you'd keep your PS4).

TiggyTog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 TiggyTog
Member since 2017 • 324 Posts

The Switch is much cheaper, but the PS4 has a lot more games for it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#18 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

In your situation I would go for the Switch. The Pro is a nice upgrade but it's no match to having a second console that offers you an expanded selection of great games. This is coming from someone who owns both.

Blueplayer345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Blueplayer345
Member since 2017 • 5 Posts

Depends more on exclusives or if you want 4k gaming

LittleAngryDog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 LittleAngryDog

@blueplayer345 said:

Depends more on exclusives or if you want 4k gaming

Exclusives are more important than graphics!

jorzorz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 jorzorz
Member since 2017 • 114 Posts

considering ps4 pro wont give you a chance to play new games and cant even do true 4k id say switch is better. You get access to exclusive games and you can take it with you everywhere.

tldr exclusives>>>>>>upscaled 4k

Clefdefa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#22 Clefdefa
Member since 2017 • 750 Posts

I bought a Switch last week because I'm a little fed up with Sony's type of game right now. Very nice change of pace for me.

It is really fun to play in the bus and then put it in the dock to play on the TV. Dark Souls will be amazing ... dying in the bus and dying at home :P

I also doubt I'll play God Of War at lunch ... I'm like ... meh the viking craze is starting to rub me the wrong way.

csward

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#23 csward
Member since 2005 • 2155 Posts

Personally, I have both. In my PS4 Pro, I installed a hybrid 1TB hard drive for faster loads (very easy to do), so there can be add'l expenses.

If expanding the library of games available to you is your goal get a Switch. However, it sounds like you want a 4k experience more, so from what you said, you want a PS4 Pro. Breath of the Wild and to a lesser extent Mario Odyssey are hard to pass up though bruddah.

LuxuryHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 LuxuryHeart
Member since 2017 • 1874 Posts

If you have a base PS4, then you should probably get the Switch in my personal opinion. However, if you want to play God of War as soon as possible, then by all means get a Pro.

LittleAngryDog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 LittleAngryDog

@csward said:

Personally, I have both. In my PS4 Pro, I installed a hybrid 1TB hard drive for faster loads (very easy to do), so there can be add'l expenses.

If expanding the library of games available to you is your goal get a Switch. However, it sounds like you want a 4k experience more, so from what you said, you want a PS4 Pro. Breath of the Wild and to a lesser extent Mario Odyssey are hard to pass up though bruddah.

This year will be full of good announcements for the Nintendo Switch! Let's watch what happens! But I already confess that I am very excited and almost buying a Switch. I can play my basic PS4 on my 4k TV 40 '' which does a good pixel compression. I'm not trying to play basic PS4 on a 55 '' or 65 '' TV. So I do not think I need to buy a 4k console. I need games and a varied librarian with lots of fun. I can choose the PS4 PRO yes. But for now the points are more favorable to the Switch.

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#26 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

The Switch gets you Pokemon, Mario and Zelda. The PS4 gets you everything else. For me the choice is obvious.

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27 stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

Upgrade to PS4 Pro.

Wait for price drops for the switch.