Is it too late for me to start a Gaming Collection?

RenegadeSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1 RenegadeSteve
Member since 2013 • 262 Posts

Is it too late in the game to start a gaming collection of the video games I've grown up on?

The systems I were thinking about trying to get my hands on are the Super NES, Sega Saturn, N64, Dreamcast, a bunch of PS1 and PS2 games ( Still have my PS2), the Nintendo GameCube.

I've been giving it some thought sometime now and kinda feel it would be a waste of money and time but I wanna do it tho. I wanna hear what mods & users think, your opinion would be much appreciated.

Sincerely, Renegade

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#2 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

nah I still collect old ps1 rpgs. I would narrow your goals at first though otherwise you just might have the buyer's remorse.

RenegadeSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By RenegadeSteve

@pyro1245: You mean just focus just on getting the games one console at a time?

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

It's never too late to start a collection. Amazon is the cheapest place to buy old cartridges and disc.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

@renegadesteve: Well not necessarily.... If you know what you want then go for it; but that is a lot of stuff and could potentially cost a lot of money. The heart wants what it wants though. I went with ps1 and snes rpgs just because those were some of my favorite games back in the day; some of which are extremely expensive now....

MLBknights58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 MLBknights58
Member since 2006 • 5016 Posts

Bro it's never too late. I recently bought a NES with Castlevania, NInja Gaiden, TMNT, Super Mario Bros 3 and Dragon Warrior. I have plenty more I want to grab before I start the SNES grind. Just make sure that you buy responsibly of course.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#7 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

If you're talking old games in their original forms, it's gonna be costly, especially if you want to collect some of the classics. I wouldn't say it's too late but it's definitely going to cost you.

RenegadeSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 RenegadeSteve

@pyro1245: I've kinda of made a list of all the games I want get from these systems and I've been considering the used game option instead of going all new

RenegadeSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 RenegadeSteve

@turtlethetaffer said:

If you're talking old games in their original forms, it's gonna be costly, especially if you want to collect some of the classics. I wouldn't say it's too late but it's definitely going to cost you.

But what if I go the used route?

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

There's nothing really sacred about it. If you want to play old games on their original hardware, and are willing to spend the money on sometimes jacked up prices, then do it. If playing on the real hardware isn't a big deal to you, then you probably shouldn't.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#11 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

@renegadesteve said:

@turtlethetaffer said:

But what if I go the used route?

Oh well if quality isn't too much of an issue you can bet it'll be a lot cheaper... But still, it all comes down to the game.Some will be really expensive and others won't.

sebas_1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By sebas_1987
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

@renegadesteve: its never to late to start a game collection.

The best advise i can give you is: Start with the previous generation, PS3. PSP. Etc. And from then whenever you can, buy a Sega, Snes, etc.

lensflare15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#13 lensflare15
Member since 2010 • 6652 Posts

@sebas_1987 said:

The best advise i can give you is: Start with the previous generation, PS3. PSP. Etc. And from then whenever you can, buy a Sega, Snes, etc.

Although it's good advice to start as recently as possible, I would still recommend starting with the 6th generation of consoles and games because they tend to be much cheaper than what many 7th gen games are going for at the moment. Or, maybe work on collecting games for both of these two gens simultaneously, which is something I am currently doing a bit of myself.

RenegadeSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 RenegadeSteve

@lensflare15 said:

@sebas_1987 said:

Although it's good advice to start as recently as possible, I would still recommend starting with the 6th generation of consoles and games because they tend to be much cheaper than what many 7th gen games are going for at the moment. Or, maybe work on collecting games for both of these two gens simultaneously, which is something I am currently doing a bit of myself.

As of right now I'm working on my ps3 collection and trying to build my gaming pc it's just sooo overwhelming

Mesomorphin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#15 Mesomorphin
Member since 2013 • 903 Posts

Gaming collectiing is an expensive sport, and you've got to take account in that. So what I'd recommend is to focus you collecting one system, and see how far you get without leaping over on all these systems, which will get you know where apart from having a huge gap in your wallet.