Now I’m aware this game created a lot of controversy over the ridiculous amount of microtransactions. But as a game, is it really bad? I’ll discuss a few points where I think the opposite.
* Audio - I challenge you to find a better sounding game this generation. Whenever I boot the game up, I watch the intro movie primarily to hear the amazing sounds. It’s incredibly detailed and the highs and lows are crisp. A treat if you have a decent audio set up.
* Gameplay - The action is high and buttery smooth even in intense situations where there’s a lot going on. I’m no Digital Foundry, but I don’t encounter frame dips. The shooting is satisfying and fun. With 4 classes to play and even the monster, the variety factor is high. You’ll never have the same experience twice.
* AI - When not playing online, your teammates or Daisy will have your back. I’ve never felt as it’s all about me to defeat the monster as you do in other games with team AI. I’ve never seen AI running on spot or getting stuck by obstacles. Enemy AI is just as reactive and good.
* Story - There isn’t one, or at least anything to annoyingly skip. Your team will crack a joke before you drop, and that’s pretty much all you’ll learn about your situation. I tend to prefer gameplay over story so the lack of goes into my positive category.
* Online - It exists and while you can’t see a universal number of players who are looking for matches, matchmaking should match you up with a mate or a few. This may differ per console, but I haven’t experienced difficulty on Xbox finding games during peak hours.
I wouldn’t rate the game a ten, but an 8 or 9 would be my score. Let’s say 8.5. I revisit it often and it’s one of my faves this gen.
So, assuming you’ve actually played Evolve. What did you think? Am I accurate or off in my assessments?