Is Destiny on Life Support?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e9044657a310
deactivated-5e9044657a310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5e9044657a310
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts

Never played the game, but it seems to still be kicking around?

Is this game still worth playing if you haven't taken a look at it?

How is the MP? Is it still thriving and competitive?

How much has the game changed since launch? I know it was pretty blah when it launched but in todays day and age games can change pretty dramatically with patches?

What kind of games is it most similar too?

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

The biggest problem it has is suffering from a drought in terms of quests. There is only so much grinding you can do of the faction quests before you go insane. Those dealing with the story line are not big in quantity IMO. Maybe it isn't fair to compare it with WOW but it just dropped the latest expansion and you have hundreds (maybe 1k) quests dealing with the main story (and sub stories) coupled with always changing daily and world quests with proper rewards. The other fault with Destiny is how certain content needs matchmaking to accomplish but you are stuck with trying to find people through coop in order to do these raids or trials or whatever. A game like this should have matchmaking as a default.

Last week I turned on the game after being away for months and I expected maybe something would be there to catch my eye. Nope. All I had was a message from the postmaster giving me some book in order to finish things from year 2. The same boring grind was there: Kill 100 taken, open 100 chests/nodes/etc on Mars, level weapons with the blacksmith, etc..,

Avatar image for deactivated-58183aaaa31d8
deactivated-58183aaaa31d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-58183aaaa31d8
Member since 2015 • 2238 Posts

@Nuck81: It has never been worth trying.

Stay as far away from it as you physically can. That is just my opinion though.

I personally REALLY hope it is on life support. That way we can pull the plug and watch as its dark and twisted soul is pulled into the depths of hell.

vespuche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 vespuche
Member since 2007 • 1078 Posts

I have been playing since the beginning. Buying every expansion. They really nailed it with Taken King.

Light levels not being attached to your armor, but instead a average of all your weapons and armor stats.

The infusion system is great. Keep your favorite guns and upgrade them by infusing higher attack weapons.

They are also getting better at story telling.

I don't play PVP, except Iron Banner every now and again. So I cant really speak to that.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#5  Edited By nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@Nuck81:

I have officially shelved this game and deleted off my ps4 HDD.

Imagine if Borderlands had an emotionally retarded baby with Halo Reach.

lucidique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 150

#6 lucidique
Member since 2003 • 791 Posts

@Nuck81: Well they could still release it on pc. You know, where millions of player have yet to play even the vanilla game. Come on Activision :(

Jak42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jak42
Member since 2016 • 1093 Posts

It is far from life support. No where even close to that level of deadness. Destiny wouldn't be getting another expansion due next week. And a sequel in the coming year if that was the case.

Bungie also made a good Destiny app to find a clan or do raids. And with numerous YouTube channels like TrueVanguard. That simplify/explain all the little details and builds to make the game understandable; and suit a given play style. Gives way to a ton of resources out there to enhance the game further. Making Destiny one of the best new IP's out there. With a community pouring hundreds of hours into.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

@lucidique said:

@Nuck81: Well they could still release it on pc. You know, where millions of player have yet to play even the vanilla game. Come on Activision :(

yeah, really wondering why they didn't do that. Or even cross platform; that, to me, is an untapped market. I'm on PC and would never buy a console (not yet, at least), but would love to play with my buddies.

Only game that has done it right was maybe Shadowrun (back when Win XP first came out), and that's a damn shame.

Still, I am really curious about Destiny. Seems like a missed opportunity imo; looks really interesting but the fundamentals just sound terrible.

SuperFlyZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SuperFlyZero
Member since 2015 • 414 Posts

Most people are over Destiny like I am, except for the few die hards who play little else. Have one of those guys on my FL.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#10 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@Nuck81 said:

Never played the game, but it seems to still be kicking around?

Is this game still worth playing if you haven't taken a look at it?

How is the MP? Is it still thriving and competitive?

How much has the game changed since launch? I know it was pretty blah when it launched but in todays day and age games can change pretty dramatically with patches?

What kind of games is it most similar too?

My guess is that you would get a much better response if you posted this in the console forums instead of here.

As to anyone still playing destiny , no idea i mainly play on pc so not really following the console games.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

I played an hour of the beta and knew it wasn't for me (and I'm a big Halo fan). It's just a big grind that only works with friends. You literally go and pump bullets into baddies for loot, and repeat ad nauseum. There is no story, no reason other than loot to play the game. It's a MMO without the quality lore/background.

I wanted it to be the next big thing from Bungie... but they let Activision control too much of how the content was released.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

Here's a question for those who have any opinion of this game after playing it:

With the various planets and factions, what would be an acceptable amount of main/minor story line or non repeatable quests the game should offer? Furthering that up, with a $40.00 expansion coming this week, how many story line or non repeatable quests should come with the expansion?

Zen_Light

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Zen_Light
Member since 2010 • 2143 Posts

@Solaryellow said:

Here's a question for those who have any opinion of this game after playing it:

With the various planets and factions, what would be an acceptable amount of main/minor story line or non repeatable quests the game should offer? Furthering that up, with a $40.00 expansion coming this week, how many story line or non repeatable quests should come with the expansion?

A hell of a lot more than previous dlc story missions. Wouldn't be surprised if it's in the neighborhood of 10 missions.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

@jak42 said:

It is far from life support. No where even close to that level of deadness. Destiny wouldn't be getting another expansion due next week. And a sequel in the coming year if that was the case.

Bungie also made a good Destiny app to find a clan or do raids. And with numerous YouTube channels like TrueVanguard. That simplify/explain all the little details and builds to make the game understandable; and suit a given play style. Gives way to a ton of resources out there to enhance the game further. Making Destiny one of the best new IP's out there. With a community pouring hundreds of hours into.

So true, even though I don't have the game I'm very tempted to get it because there's a decent amount of people on my job who NEVER stop talking Destiny. As a matter of fact, I was at work today talking about it with some of the guys and some random dude who was walking by heard us talking about Destiny, he just jumped into the conversation and they greeting him like he was a family member!! lol

So despite Destiny's rocky start, the community support is STRONG.

Jak42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jak42
Member since 2016 • 1093 Posts

@MarcRecon: Vanilla Destiny was definitely rough on the edges. It needed a lot of content. An overhaul to make it much easier to upgrade gear. As the grind was far too excessive. And make exotics better than legendary gear among other things.

Bungie did nail it with great shooting mechanics. And strikes/crucible was fun to play. So the potential was there. And as someone who returned back in late June this year. I can honestly say Bungie made a great turnaround. And I look forward to Destiny 2. Along with all the additional fun to be had with private matches, that boasts tons of PvP maps we can play on.