Is Chrono Trigger still a good game?

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

45844

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45844 Posts

I've had this game on my backlog, for what seems like forever. It's the last game I have on my 3DS catalog. Should I finally give it a go? Is it still a good game? I have the DS version and have never played the original.

Avatar image for xantufrog
xantufrog

17875

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#2 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: it's timeless! It oozes the classic charm and gameplay of that era, but IMO there's nothing really "dating" it (as long as you like/don't mind 16-bit visuals, of course :-p)

I'd definitely recommend it

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

45844

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45844 Posts

@xantufrog said:

@SolidGame_basic: it's timeless! It oozes the classic charm and gameplay of that era, but IMO there's nothing really "dating" it (as long as you like/don't mind 16-bit visuals, of course :-p)

I'd definitely recommend it

This better be good or you should ban yourself for one week! 😮

Lol. I'm not sure why I managed to not play this game over the years. Maybe it's because I assumed that since it was old school, I wouldn't enjoy it as much. I also heard that it has multiple endings. Do you need to reach certain requirements to get the true ending or something? I hate those!

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

9722

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 0

#4 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9722 Posts

Of course! It’s better than a lot of games that I’ve played lately. Do yourself a favor and try it.

Avatar image for xantufrog
xantufrog

17875

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: it does have multiple endings - it's actually pretty interesting how branching the game is. I would say to some extent that's my one complaint of the game - maybe I'm dense but it can be a bit difficult to understand where your choices that "matter" are, and it can be a bit easy to get turned around on how the plots in different eras fit together. It's not a major complaint - that same depth is what makes it special. But I don't think I've played all the paths and don't know how to "change them" if I wanted to.

Of course, wikis can tell you - but I try to read those for little tips only because I hate major plot things and "this is the best decision because..." spoilers

You also get different party members and gear to swap in and out - it's a very rich experience

Avatar image for Maroxad
Maroxad

24153

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 24153 Posts

I found it pretty forgettable, to be frank.

It was good in the sense that it didn't outstay it's welcome. I also liked the combo techs, but overall, I found the story completely forgettable and the combat was really basic, practically revolving around beating down the enemy before they beat you down.

Don't get me wrong, the game is good popcorn. But I can't really say I felt satisfied with the game.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

45844

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#7 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45844 Posts

@xantufrog: does it have ray tracing at 4k 60fps? 😋

Hmm.. not a huge fan of games where things are obtuse or you have to figure things out beyond the normal game tasks lol. And I agree that looking it up kinda spoils it for you. Kind of like that moment in P4 Golden where you realize your dialog effects the ending. I was so lucky that I had an extra save file lmao.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

45844

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#8 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45844 Posts

@Maroxad said:

I found it pretty forgettable, to be frank.

It was good in the sense that it didn't outstay it's welcome. I also liked the combo techs, but overall, I found the story completely forgettable and the combat was really basic, practically revolving around beating down the enemy before they beat you down.

Don't get me wrong, the game is good popcorn. But I can't really say I felt satisfied with the game.

I read that the game is about 20 hours long. If it wasn't for that, I'm not sure if I would give it a go. My backlog is already long enough as it is lol. So it's good to know that it doesn't overstay its welcome.

Avatar image for pyro1245
pyro1245

9478

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#9 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9478 Posts

abso-fucking-lutely.

Play Chrono Cross too.

Avatar image for Archangel3371
Archangel3371

45032

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#10 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 45032 Posts

It’s the greatest game of all time, of course it’s still good.

Avatar image for xantufrog
xantufrog

17875

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: well, there's nothing to figure out. It's super straightforward to play. The "obtuseness" just comes about in terms of if you are trying to "game the system" and pick a certain ending. But if you just choose what you want to choose and play how you like it's perfectly "linear" and plays through logically. There's no wrong playthrough

I agree with Archangel - it's one of the best games of all time. Why wait? Literally any JRPG on your "to-do" list could be bumped to give this game a play first IMO

Avatar image for SOedipus
SOedipus

14865

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#12 SOedipus  Online
Member since 2006 • 14865 Posts

Chrono Trigger is awesome. I still own my DS for that one game.

Avatar image for Maroxad
Maroxad

24153

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 24153 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:
@Maroxad said:

I found it pretty forgettable, to be frank.

It was good in the sense that it didn't outstay it's welcome. I also liked the combo techs, but overall, I found the story completely forgettable and the combat was really basic, practically revolving around beating down the enemy before they beat you down.

Don't get me wrong, the game is good popcorn. But I can't really say I felt satisfied with the game.

I read that the game is about 20 hours long. If it wasn't for that, I'm not sure if I would give it a go. My backlog is already long enough as it is lol. So it's good to know that it doesn't overstay its welcome.

That's about accurate.

After beating the game, I couldnt be bothered to touch it again. Had it been 30 hours, I would probably have dropped it.

Avatar image for speeny
Speeny

3357

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 14

#14 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

From what I played, it was good, but I personally couldn’t get into it. Not sure why either. If I were to think as to why, I truthfully probably didn’t find the world nor it’s characters appealing enough for my tastes.

I want to try to revisit it later down the line though.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

45844

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#15 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45844 Posts

@xantufrog said:

@SolidGame_basic: well, there's nothing to figure out. It's super straightforward to play. The "obtuseness" just comes about in terms of if you are trying to "game the system" and pick a certain ending. But if you just choose what you want to choose and play how you like it's perfectly "linear" and plays through logically. There's no wrong playthrough

I agree with Archangel - it's one of the best games of all time. Why wait? Literally any JRPG on your "to-do" list could be bumped to give this game a play first IMO

Alright, I'm starting it lol. This game and the The World Ends With You are the only reasons I still have my 3DS at this point lol. Love TWEWY. Unfortunately the DS is the only system where you can get the true TWEWY experience. As for Chrono Trigger, I read that the DS is one of the best versions, but at least you can play it on so many other devices lol.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

45844

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#16 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45844 Posts
@speeny said:

From what I played, it was good, but I personally couldn’t get into it. Not sure why either. If I were to think as to why, I truthfully probably didn’t find the world nor it’s characters appealing enough for my tastes.

I want to try to revisit it later down the line though.

Lol, how much longer will you wait?

Avatar image for speeny
Speeny

3357

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 14

#17 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: If I’m honest, may not ever pick it up again. It’s a game that I’d keep though seeing as I didn’t find it bad. I like the thought of being able to go back to things if I ever feel the need to. :) Who knows, I may love it the next time around.

Avatar image for zaryia
Zaryia

21607

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#18 Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

Yes. Very good.

Avatar image for RSM-HQ
RSM-HQ

11730

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11730 Posts

I do not play a lot of non Action-RPG RPG games, but as far as the Traditional Turn-Base RPGs are concerned consider Chrono Trigger one of the best.

Easy to recommend too. Chrono Trigger is not a very long game, has multiple endings, even minor decisions (namely early-on) have weight, and doesn't require any level grinding.

Chrono Trigger also still inspires many top of the line RPGs. The latest being a popular kickstarter game called Sea of Stars; basically fans of Chrono Trigger making an RPG in the same vein. From the creators of The Messenger in-case that sparks any interest_

Loading Video...

Avatar image for Fairmonkey
Fairmonkey

2319

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#20 Fairmonkey
Member since 2011 • 2319 Posts

Well yeah

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

45844

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#21 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45844 Posts

I've played about an hour so far. I beat the first boss. I'm liking it so far. I like the pacing and the characters.

Avatar image for xantufrog
xantufrog

17875

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#22 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: the music... I love the music

Avatar image for Maroxad
Maroxad

24153

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#24 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 24153 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

I've played about an hour so far. I beat the first boss. I'm liking it so far. I like the pacing and the characters.

Glad you are liking it.

If there is one thing I wish RPGs learnt from Chrono Trigger, it is how to pace a game. Most RPGs have terrible pacing, instead dragging the game for a hundred out because that is more marketable on the back of the box.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

45844

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#25 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45844 Posts

@xantufrog said:

@SolidGame_basic: the music... I love the music

Music is great! I'm about 4.5 hours in now. Just got out of the second world where we recruited Robo lol. This game brings me back to the 90s lol.

@Maroxad said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

I've played about an hour so far. I beat the first boss. I'm liking it so far. I like the pacing and the characters.

Glad you are liking it.

If there is one thing I wish RPGs learnt from Chrono Trigger, it is how to pace a game. Most RPGs have terrible pacing, instead dragging the game for a hundred out because that is more marketable on the back of the box.

One modern game that comes to mind is The Outer Worlds. Although it felt a little bit short considering its ambitions.

Avatar image for Maroxad
Maroxad

24153

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#26 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 24153 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:
@xantufrog said:

@SolidGame_basic: the music... I love the music

Music is great! I'm about 4.5 hours in now. Just got out of the second world where we recruited Robo lol. This game brings me back to the 90s lol.

@Maroxad said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

I've played about an hour so far. I beat the first boss. I'm liking it so far. I like the pacing and the characters.

Glad you are liking it.

If there is one thing I wish RPGs learnt from Chrono Trigger, it is how to pace a game. Most RPGs have terrible pacing, instead dragging the game for a hundred out because that is more marketable on the back of the box.

One modern game that comes to mind is The Outer Worlds. Although it felt a little bit short considering its ambitions.

The Outer Worlds is a good example for a modern RPG that doesnt mess around.

Others are

  • Mother 3
  • Undertale
  • Lisa: The Painful
  • Dark Sun: Shattered Lands
  • Fallout 1
  • Deus Ex
  • The Last Story

I for one, wish we would get more, shorter, well paced games.

Also: The music is great indeed.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

45844

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#27 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45844 Posts

@Maroxad: ooh, I didn't know Undertale is like that. I've had that game for a while.

Avatar image for xantufrog
xantufrog

17875

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#28 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: oh undertale is great too. Really unique and short-but-in-a-good-focused-way

Avatar image for ratchetclank92
RatchetClank92

1371

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#29 RatchetClank92
Member since 2020 • 1371 Posts

I’ve been debating on buying and downloading it on my phone to try out, I remember trying it for an hr as a kid and just loved the visuals and artwork of the game.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

45844

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#30 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45844 Posts

@xantufrog: I just beat Magus! This game is smooth like butta. Great game! I'll probably give Undertale a try. I have it for PC, but I really want it on Switch lol. Going to wait for a deal.

@ratchetclank92 said:

I’ve been debating on buying and downloading it on my phone to try out, I remember trying it for an hr as a kid and just loved the visuals and artwork of the game.

It's a great game. Give it a whirl! I'm happy I'm playing the DS version though. I feel like I'm getting the authentic experience. Not sure what it's like on mobile.

Avatar image for xantufrog
xantufrog

17875

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#31 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: glad you liked it!

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

45844

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#32 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45844 Posts

@xantufrog: just beat Valos lol. I didn't do the optional sidequests and I missed out on some great gear, so I struggled a lot lol. But I finally did it! Awesome game.

Avatar image for xantufrog
xantufrog

17875

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#33 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: nice :-)

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

45844

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#35 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45844 Posts

@Yams1980 said:

I think its still good, but you have to know it came from 90s turn based games... if turn based games are something you hate, it may be tough to like it, but the the fact there aren't random encounters and you see your enemies before combat begins, its something I always liked more than the totally random FF battle encounters.

But even if you find it sorta boring, the music alone is worth playing it for. You will never forget it. Likely one of the most memorable music soundtracks to ever be made.

I used to use Chrono Trigger music on my original xbox with any game that let me use my own custom soundtracks I made from MIDI files using some high quality soundblaster live soundfonts. I remember using it mainly in Microsoft Rallysport Challenge, it went so great with that game.

The music is damn good! And I love the ATB style gameplay. It's turn based, but not wait your turn, turn based lol. Kind of like the latest Final Fantasy 7 Remake!

Avatar image for joshrmeyer
JoshRMeyer

12581

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#36 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12581 Posts

I just started it a few days ago on my SNES(the new digital one). A friend put a ton of more games on there and that was one of them. So far I'm hooked.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

45844

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#37 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45844 Posts

@joshrmeyer: nice man, I hope you like it. And that OST!

Loading Video...

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

18973

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 144

User Lists: 0

#38 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Absolutely. Game holds up very well. Could maybe use some QoL improvements here and there but on the whole it's still pretty great.