Is anyone else losing interest in gaming?

• 56 results
Rewgle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 Rewgle
Member since 2022 • 407 Posts

So I think I'm reaching the point where I'm just not into video games like I used to be. It's been a gradual thing.

Firstly there's the infamous backlog. I have all of these games I've wanted to play for years but I just never get around to it, or else I start playing them but never really commit to them. So there's this anxiety because there is so much to play, but you're never going to play most of it lol.

Then there's the time and energy for it, and being in the right mood to really sit down to play a game, which just doesn't come around as often now. Honestly getting a cup of coffee somewhere is more exciting for me than playing most games.

Lastly I think I've had so many disappointing things happen that have soured me on games. Games releasing incomplete, games being delayed - and still releasing incomplete or something, games releasing with some sort of archaic requirement, or finally releasing after much fanfare and not really scratching that gaming itch. I think I've experienced this sort of disappointment recently with the Overwatch 2 launch, because of its number requirement.

There's also the cost. Cost for games, cost for game systems (or computer upgrades), cost for online gaming services, and for DLC and the like.

I had been looking forward to Overwatch 2, but just like that I'm probably not ever going to play it. And I'm okay with that. Similarly, I had been looking forward to playing Persona 5 Royal, and I'd still like to, but I just don't know if I have the energy or the right mood to dedicate to it like I mentioned in the third paragraph.

I tried playing WoW Classic again recently but quickly became bored with it, like after doing the starting area quests. That's never really happened to me before. But I just don't have the drive or the time to dedicate to a video game like that anymore.

I like my gaming system, I just bought it over the Summer, but I don't know how much use it is really going to get. And I suspect it might even be the last game system I own.

So I'm wondering if anyone else here is going through this, or can relate to some of it. Do you still find it enjoyable to play anything, or has it become this energy-draining, money-draining, time-draining task for you? What is your relationship with gaming like right now?

357mag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 357mag
Member since 2003 • 447 Posts

What you are experiencing is normal. Life is not static. It's dynamic, ever evolving and changing. People's interests change as they progress through life. I myself am not a hard core gamer. I play less frequently. I'm more interested in becoming a better guitarist.

I wish the best for you and whatever you decide to pursue.

Naylord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Naylord
Member since 2006 • 1109 Posts

Try Elden Ring. It's so good it revived by zest for gaming and it's absolutely surreal that the best game in the year is the most popular one. Made me feel truly connected with the world. I don't think it's ever happened before that the most popular thing and best thing were the same thing.

ENI232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ENI232
Member since 2020 • 1005 Posts

Not really. One thing that i noticed once i got to my mid 20s is i wasnt into fighting or sports games anymore. But it got replaced with online gaming. I guess for that competitive gaming urge it was a perfect swap. I havent played any video games in like 3 months, but i want to play many ps5 games. I still dont have a ps5. I think my interest will only go away if the quality of video games goes down. Im not the person that needs to play video games no matter what. I been playing them since like 6 years old and to this day i only play games i enjoy and will only buy games i am interested in.

blamix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 blamix
Member since 2006 • 2029 Posts

I don't play like i used to, but i will never get tired of gaming. I wanna play with my grandchildren

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34572 Posts

No. I've lost faith in most AAA developers though.

Also, you're not missing much with Overwatch 2. It's basically the same thing as the first. Was actually surprised by how same it was, but I guess that's what happens when you call a patch "2". They've barely changed the old heroes anything, and the new heroes are clones of old heroes. I got bored of it after a couple matches and will probably not go back to it.

It's all good though. Wouldn't want to support such a terrible company anyway.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

Yes, but I still game cause I have no other hobbies. The gaming industry has become really bad in the last few years especially to the point where I feel like I'm watching politicians putting out video games. I have never seen so much greed, laziness, and lies. For me gaming peaked in 2013 that was last full year where gaming felt like it was moving forward don't get me wrong there's still good games coming out but it's not like it was. Also people need to STFU about the indies not everybody likes them and we have tried them. The AAA industry is trash now yes we all agree but it wasn't always that way and it doesn't have to be.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11664 Posts

Seems to be a theme here from posts in 2022, many are losing interest. Will not judge those that have this issue.

As for me? Nah.

However it has been a busy few months for me at work. So my time to enjoy longer non-portable video games has taken a dive, which will change in late October time.

All-in-all I really enjoy video games and can always find a few games to play. I tend to grab a pile and have at it lol. Assuming I'm not overworked; the way I personally like to tackle the hobby is as so-

• Pick two video games to play at a time of convenience, and rotate based on mood.
  • One being a big time investment. One being a smaller bite size game/ or multiplayer game that allows drop-in drop-out.
  • Evaluate new games though a timer, to see if you are enjoying these games or if they're duds wasting your free time. The longer game is? best to give a few hours before bringing down the hammer; let's say three-to-six hours depending on the game. The shorter game give a hard lock at one hour.
  • If the games don't meet your standards? refund, sell, trade, don't waste your time on something you don't enjoy. And repeat with something new.
  • Gaming is a hobby to be enjoyed, nothing else.
BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#9 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17799 Posts

I still love gaming just as much as I did when I was a kid. It has been a life long passion and hobby. Sure, sometimes I don't feel like gaming and would rather do other things, but I always cherish my gaming time. :)

strategyfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#10  Edited By strategyfn
Member since 2012 • 1176 Posts

I still game 2 hours religiously nightly although I also have a big backlog. As long as PSVR2 has some quality games and Jaunt that will reinvigorate me.

If my PC weren’t broken I wouldn’t be bored of gaming at all as I would be playing DCS World.

Short answer gaming has lost some of its magic for me but I still enjoy good games.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#11 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58858 Posts

For sure. Still play, but it's sporadic now.

Less the AAA stuff and more smaller games that pop up on Steam.

A lot of it (aside from priorities) is the industry itself where game design has chances and cynicism maxed.

No longer actually excited for releases and just wondering what bullshit they will try pull. And that's not fun, or positive.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9396 Posts

The only part of gaming I have lost interest in is the predatory, AAA game space championed by worthless publishers.

It's important to recognize that passionate game development can still result in creative and fun experinces.... just typically not within a AAA environment.

MysticalDonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MysticalDonut
Member since 2021 • 2504 Posts

The problem with modern gaming is the gentle but gradual push into playing what THEY want you to play, not what YOU truly want to play. I would really look at games and check out videos, reviews, friends opinions, etc. before making a purchase and committing time to playing.

I know a lot of friends that are pretty meh towards video games but all they play are whatever is available to them on PS Plus or GamePass (which is a lot of the times mediocre titles, hence why they're on a subscription service in the first place) or free-to-play games, which are not designed for fun but designed to pull as much money out of your wallet as they possibly can. These subs and live service games aren't really made with quality in mind 100% of the time and I truly believe that is why many people are losing interest in video games in our modern era.

I downloaded Overwatch 2 as well and all I see is a bunch of MTX in the menu- new skins, emotes, weapon wraps, etc. and coins upon coins to buy in the PlayStation Store. A battle pass to buy which wants you to play every single day for daily logins, daily challenges, etc. to ensure you don't "miss out" on any content before the season is over. That FOMO marketing campaign.

Stuff like that is just overwhelming and discouraging to most people nowadays and creates a more negative than positive perception towards gaming IMO.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58274 Posts

@rewgle: my dude, I not-too-long-ago went through this.

It was a type of cognitive dissonance; my inner self's preferred games had changed, while my conscious self's taste was fighting it, sticking to the old classics or thinking I needed to try something new and/or old, to sort of kickstart my love for gaming again.

I would keep buying games I used to like, thinking I just needed something new and refreshing, only to not finish them. Adding to the cost and the backlog. I kept going back to old games (like WoW and other RPGs, or action games)

I finally came to the realization that I just don't enjoy most of the genres I did up until a few years ago. I pretty much only play sandbox building/planning/management games now. Satisfactory, Cities: Skylines, and Factorio are essentially the only games I play consistently. Add in an occasional strategy game like Stellaris or Civ or XCOM or something.

I still appreciate games and I will always have a healthy curiosity about genres I enjoyed in the past because I consider myself a fan of the hobby. But as for my day-to-day gaming, I will be sticking to the games I know I like still.

It's a little bittersweet; I find myself not liking games I used to, but I found myself still liking games in general and also found myself rededicated to gaming, just a bit more niche. It's also allowed me to reframe my perspective a bit; I've become less fanboy about gaming and can be honest and analytical about it, which somehow helps me appreciate it more lol.

Don't give up. Just have an honest talk with yourself. Sorry for the long post, hope it helps.

Also how old are you? I'm finding a lot of people in their mid-to-late 30's go through this lol.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58274 Posts
@mysticaldonut said:

The problem with modern gaming is the gentle but gradual push into playing what THEY want you to play, not what YOU truly want to play. I would really look at games and check out videos, reviews, friends opinions, etc. before making a purchase and committing time to playing.

I know a lot of friends that are pretty meh towards video games but all they play are whatever is available to them on PS Plus or GamePass (which is a lot of the times mediocre titles, hence why they're on a subscription service in the first place) or free-to-play games, which are not designed for fun but designed to pull as much money out of your wallet as they possibly can. These subs and live service games aren't really made with quality in mind 100% of the time and I truly believe that is why many people are losing interest in video games in our modern era.

I downloaded Overwatch 2 as well and all I see is a bunch of MTX in the menu- new skins, emotes, weapon wraps, etc. and coins upon coins to buy in the PlayStation Store. Stuff like that is just overwhelming and discouraging to most people now and creates a more negative than positive perception towards gaming IMO.

Also this.

The direction of modern AAA gaming is a big turnoff. Especially as it leans more into the "service" aspect of it.

It sounds like TC is on PC which is a good start; there is a thriving independent and small-scale scene out there full of really amazing games. It's arguably the only reason I am still playing. If I had to rely solely on AAA, I'd be done with gaming.

Rewgle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Rewgle

@mrbojangles25:I am in my mid-30's so it must be an age thing too. I don't know if different genres of games would make the difference, since I feel overwhelmed by most games anymore. I think part of it could be dissatisfaction with other parts of my life, so I don't feel contented enough to really sit down and enjoy games like I used to.

@mysticaldonut: The push towards in-game shops and free-to-play has been a negative for gamers. I see how whole games were rebuilt around that concept, and it hasn't made gaming any better.

@uninspiredcup: It is really sad that you have that frame of mind now, but when so many games are launching with some sort of issue or bs in tow, I guess it's smart to be asking the question what's wrong this time. It almost always seems to be something.

@RSM-HQ: In a way I guess some of it is on me, because I spent so many years obsessing over my growing backlog of games. At a certain point I think people have to realize when they're just not going to get around to playing most of it. I think it becomes an unhealthy thing to hold onto.

@Litchie: I guess it's good to hear I'm not missing out on too much with OW2. To be honest I'm more disappointed that we had a game that was working just fine with the original, and then they had to make these changes for the sequel and ruin OW1 in the process. But I guess ActiBlizz themselves made the decision for me to stop playing the game.

@eni232: I think you probably have a healthy approach to gaming. If you can get a lot of value out of one or two big games a year, or something like that, then you're probably doing better than people who are following a dozen games and trying to decide what to buy. I think it is harder nowadays to know for sure which upcoming games are going to be good though, given the kind of tricks publishers like to pull.

@Naylord: One game I can safely say I probably won't ever play is Elden Ring. I tried the Souls games before, and they had their charms, but it isn't for me. I prefer something a lot less stressful, lol.

@357mag: I think you're right. Maybe I'm just changing and I'm not into it like I used to be. I still have my game system so maybe I'll still try to play something again now and then, but I'm really not feeling it as of late. Maybe I need to find whatever it is that I would rather be doing.

Thanks everyone for your responses to the topic so far. It has been interesting to see where other gamers stand on the topic. It's also good to know I'm not alone in feeling this way and that it might be perfectly normal. Gaming, me and it have had a lot of good times over the years. But maybe those days where I considered gaming to be a major hobby of mine are behind me.

GNS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#17  Edited By GNS
Member since 2015 • 920 Posts

I do game a lot less than I used to, but that's because not of boredom of video games, but because I have other hobbies besides gaming. I mean, for a couple of years, 80 percent of my pastime I spend on practising my guitar-playing. Also, the more financially savvy I am (or at least try to be), I do not spend money on every-game that comes-out. It would be maybe years till the price drops to my liking. So...

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11664 Posts

@rewgle: Admittedly I'm not a backlog person, any game I buy is for the intention of at least playing the game that week (not complete but get a good idea if I like it or not). If I enjoy it? I'll continue, and may keep to play again. If it's a dud? it won't be sticking around and I won't give it a second thought.

A few games have slipped under the cracks and had to postpone playing, but I eventually get around to games I buy.

I think it's better to be picky, no one is going to play every game ever made.

Choices have to be made, time is a luxury, and most certainly fleeting.

Spent it how you choose.

fenriz275

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19  Edited By fenriz275
Member since 2003 • 2383 Posts

I used to be big into multiplayer games but have no interest in them anymore. If a game doesn't have a good single player campaign it's a non starter for me. I've also lost interest in FPS games in general. That will probably change. There's also weeks where I don't play anything and the next week I can't hardly be torn away. I think everyone goes through cycles of what they're both interested in and what they have time for.

RatchetClank92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 RatchetClank92
Member since 2020 • 1342 Posts

I’m 30, I didn’t really play much video games until my late 20s, when I broke my knee and used them to pass time. I got more into them after that than I was as a kid, but after purchasing some of the new releases the last couple years I find I don’t find them nearly as fun as the older games. I agree having a backlog of games creates anxiety, and the overhelming amount of games and content coming out feels impossible to keep up with. I typically pick 1 or 2 games to play every 3 or 4 months, and will grind at them to beat the main story and if I really enjoyed it I’ll try for Platinum or as many trophies as I can. I don’t even consider trying the “free to play” games as they typically try to suck you in to pay for upgrades.

ENI232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ENI232
Member since 2020 • 1005 Posts

@rewgle:

That's why I wait for reviews. With stuff like bf2042 and cyber punk happening along with other games you are better off. video games now days are made to be patched up. There was none of that before two gens ago. If they put crap like bf2042 or cyberpunk on disk and released it it was game over for the company. No such thing as patching it up with internet lul.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8192 Posts

I'm 30 and yeah, I can get burnt out on gaming from time to time but I'll usually always fall back into it. Especially when my high school/college buddies want to group up. We play rocket league, OW, and Halo together still atleast 1-2 times a week.

I grew up loving gaming and now that I'm an adult with a good job I can afford to buy any game I want... But I just don't have the time. Some off the top of my head.. cyber punk and red dead 2.. bought em, and just can't find the time to invest into them.

Ironically find myself going back to old games, I recently decided to start playing more 3DS games and I'm having more fun with that than my series X or Gaming PC right now.. lol after work I can throw on a TV show or movie with the wife and play that casually. Feels like less of a commitment.

As for OW2 I'd give it a shot if you play OW1. It's the same game pretty much but with new characters. They got rid of the mobile phone verification thing. I agree that's shitty and the fan base was vocal enough to get them to pull it. Also full cross play between consoles and PC. This is why my friends and I like to link up on OW. Doesn't matter what system your on.

Feel bad for anyone who actually bought OW2... It's litteraly OW1 with a big update.

I Guess the pve content comes out next year? I have no interest in it, only play pvp OW.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44108 Posts

No, not me. I’ve been gaming for like 45 years now and probably enjoying it now more then ever. There’s so much great stuff these days that I don’t have nearly enough time to play everything that I’d like to. Probably why I have this constantly growing backlog.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9815 Posts

Can’t agree with you on the cost issue either. Consoles like the ps3 launched at a higher price than todays premium consoles, and that was over 15 years ago. No, there was no online charges then but a game cost relatively more than it does today, and I’d probably buy 10-15 games in a year. No other choice unless you pirated.

Nowadays, I’m good with Gamepass and 2-3 games bought online.

I do get burned out from time to time, probably because im playing more now than at any other time in the past.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#25  Edited By Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Formulaic games can get pretty boring. If you play a lot of IPs, you've probably played them all.

Normally a break in gaming feels refreshing because there is always something innovating waiting to happen on a later date. For me that was God of War. I didn't play the soul series so it felt refreshing to me and I liked how they incorporated all of the best gaming mechanics into one game, and the choreography is amazing too.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

On some level I can relate. But I think it's mostly due to personal reasons than the state of the games industry. I'm in a stage in my life that I have to focus on other areas and consequently, gaming doesn't excite or fulfill me that much anymore.

I find myself playing single-player games more sporadically as time goes on. And when I do, it's shorter ones that I can finish in 15 hours max. Don't really have the patience for anything longer. I also won't hesitate to abandon a game altogether if I feel like I'm not enjoying myself. Even gave up on Elden Ring halfway through. However there's a pool of games I'm still interested in and will definitely play when I'm in the right mood again.

On the contrary, I still play online games with my friends frequently. Our latest obsession is Overwatch 2 (yes it's the same as 1 but still enjoyable).

I can't wait to find better balance in my life so I can enjoy games like I used to. I miss that feeling.

Rewgle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Rewgle

@johnd13: Oh definitely, life factors are influencing my feeling this way as well... Probably moreso than the industry issues.

I think it's frustrating because I don't honestly even know what I would play if I decided to boot something up. I know in a couple of games I own, I'm pretty much stuck. The one game I am near the end but have to grind like crazy to make it through this one part it seems. The other one I have a save point in this dungeon where I never survive an encounter with a bunch of armored people.

I had been thinking of playing Persona 5, and maybe I still will, but I'm not sure if that's what the doctor ordered right now. I could also give Divinity Original Sin another go since I haven't ever made a lot of progress since my first save file. I think games like those could eat up too much of my time and energy though. But at least they aren't online games and you can play them at your own pace.

lunar1122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 lunar1122
Member since 2012 • 784 Posts

try RTS games.. they are way more engaging.. Starcraft 2 in specific.. and not just talking 1v1..... there are custom games there where all kinds of different games are possible.. and team games to play and coop.

I tend to leave sc2 for like a 2 weeks to play out single player games and then end up coming back to it.. because everything else dont really hold my attention .

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

I wouldn't say I lost interest but my focus has definitely changed. I replay a lot of games, and I'm playing older games for the first time as well as indie titles. AAA publishers have been a huge turn off in the last few years. Lootboxes, day-one DLC, buggy messes. I'll still play AAA games, but I'll wait awhile for "complete editions" at a sale, hoping that bugs are fixed too. Consoles interest me less and less as well. I mostly have one hooked up for multiplayer if I have people over.

Avatar image for blackacezero777
blackacezero777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#30  Edited By blackacezero777
Member since 2021 • 353 Posts

For me, no and possibly never will. While this is a worry in the back of my mind, I have been gaming since as far as I can remember and it is a passion of mine, so I don't think that will ever die. What I find myself feeling is that I am slowly parting from the community surrounding gaming as the bitterness and ire I feel is not truly being fully honest and setting their blame in the wrong place. Don't take offence, I don't know how you game so I cannot comment on where you are personally outside of what you have gave us, but I found the disappoint and ire of modern gaming to be the same with the Call of Duty rage about 5 to 7 years ago (this is coming from a general consensus that came from similar posts). People who complained the games where getting stale, redundant, and pushing anti-consumer friendly practices but continued to purchase it and make it a best seller only to figure out that not buying the game finally made devs/publishers listen in...Something that was already stated, but was argued down because it wasn't allowing them to be sour about their purchase...If I ever find myself becoming bitter towards gaming, I find it is because of the conversations surrounding whatever game is at the ire of gamers at the time.

For example, Sonic Frontiers. As an outspoken fan of the series, I did find myself feeling a bit negative towards it but I did start questioning if there was any sin that game has committed in my eyesights to make me feel like this and...no...There wasn't, but the conversations surrounding it were bringing on such a feeling. Then there is a problem of speaking out against it only to be dragged through a long, unnecessary argument that will ultimately die in about 5 years when we look back and have the obligatory, "were we too harsh?" Many games I have found to gain a lot of ire from gamers turn out to not be as a bad as was originally believed to be, there have only been a few that have gotten to this point.

If any advice, I would say for any game, do research. See if it is something you wouldn't mind delving into and is worth your time. I usually do this and I wait for sales on games instead of purchasing Day One. I typically wait for Black Friday, but there are other sales that happen that can be good (The PSN Summer Sale last year was great and I am still playing games from that sale). An example is, Far Cry 6. I wanted it back when it first came out but I waited and now it is around a $20-$40 range and that is possibly not including if it is Used or not. As well in the online stores on Consoles and PC, they can have some pretty good sales as well.

Also, don't be afraid to try new genres of games. It is something I am doing and am finding new games that I enjoy. Right now I am interested in Splinter Cell and once I know clearly if it will be on sale during Black Friday, I plan on buying it. Not only this, but definitely dive into the backlog, some of the games can be enjoyable, but definitely find the game that may strike you as something you may be interested in. I did this with Dot Hack G.U. as when I first tried to get myself to play it, I just did not feel up to it until some years later and finally was able to sit through all of the games. If you don't feel up to Persona 5, then don't play it yet. As someone who is a huge fan of the series and loved 5, you have a solid game in your hands, but it can be a game that will have you sinking hours into. If it ain't what you are feeling at the moment, then there is no rush, it will be there. Don't overwhelm yourself as well, I only play a few games in rotation until I find myself getting bored and need something new.

Finally, I would also inquire about mental health as well. I know it sounds off-topic, but it is something I am dealing with and at times some games can be overwhelming and anxiety inducing. It is why I don't go for overly complex RPGs unless I feel like it, and I usually only play that one until I am finished and give myself some time to rest from it. Right now, I am playing games that are more easier to pick up and play and not so complicated that it may overwhelm me. Sometimes this may be an indication of other things going on, but only you really know that.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

@rewgle: I started to feel that way at the end of last gen, I just wasn't satisfied with the usual games I was playing on my Xbox. Everything felt samey and repetitive. It was the first time I ever felt that way.

That's when I picked up a Switch and I found my love of games again. The hybrid design was exactly what I wanted and also the types of exclusive games Nintendo has. Indie games also played a big part, which offer more creativity than the usual AAA stuff on Xbox and PS.

As mentioned in above posts, my advice would be to try different games and systems to what you normally would play. Otherwise take a break from gaming, nothing wrong with that either.

pillarrocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#32 pillarrocks
Member since 2005 • 3632 Posts

It's funny about two years ago I was playing my backlog able to beat a game or two that I had played about 2 or three years ago. Fast forward to 2022, and I haven't touched my Series in about 10 months. PS4 I will play but for least an hour or two at the most. I been doing stuff like yard work around the house which never seems to get done and been doing a project for my mom building a chicken coup. Plus my nephew been at home for break but he as well hasn't been playing at all since last year and he's a teenager though he mostly plays Fortnite and Apex Legends. I do like videogames though but they aren't really a necessity as I just wait for sales instead of buying new releases. As 37 years old, I feel my teens and early 20's where when videogames were fun and exciting even early 30's. Guess you just outgrow them as you get older for the most part.

Angry_Walrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Angry_Walrus
Member since 2022 • 111 Posts

@rewgle: I could be wrong about this but this is what I think.

I think as you have grown intellectually over the years, the kind of games that enjoy may also have changed.

Now-- You might consider yourself to be a lover of all kinds of different games and you probably are. I would be willing to bet that excellent games do indeed exist now that can would find compelling.

Here are some suggestions:

Simulation Racing

Sim Flying

Chess

Modern air combat games

Old school air combat games

Sci-Fi Combat

Magic The Gathering ??

Dark fantasy RPG's (Elden Ring, dark souls. bloodbourne, etc)

Samurai Slasher/ JRPG

MYST ( Has a 2020 release) (Is a bit of a science-fiction RPG/ puzzle game) ( Not a fashionable game to be playing nowadays, but you may enjoy it)

A recent Tomb Raider title ??

My point is you may want to try more intelligence demanding content. Also remember that most of us play the games we like in some kind of challenge mode we have created.

In another words, if I play Pokemon, I am not going to play it the same as if I was 15... There are alot of self-imposed rules that can bring new life to a dull game.

zeeshanIlyas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 zeeshanIlyas
Member since 2022 • 1 Posts

It's not that I have lost interest, but my focus has definitely changed. I play a lot of games again and I'm playing older games for the first time as well as indie games. Let me share with you a great app that will help you increase your social media following. Smmbaba is a great apk that helps you become popular on social media in a short time. It's basically an updated version of Instagram. Your followers, likes, and comments will be unlimited.

The Smmbaba app won't negatively affect the internal memory of your phone. Its main purpose is to provide followers and hearts that are legal and authentic.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56041 Posts

I have been gaming since 1993 with SNES and still enjoy playing games with today's standards. That said, I'm not looking into retiring from gaming at all. You really got to have a passion for gaming cause if you don't you will lose interest in gaming.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#37 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

@davillain said:

I have been gaming since 1993 with SNES and still enjoy playing games with today's standards. That said, I'm not looking into retiring from gaming at all. You really got to have a passion for gaming cause if you don't you will lose interest in gaming.

That's true I barely give a shit about gaming anymore for alot of reasons real life shit and game industry shit but gaming still gives me comfort.

Rewgle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Rewgle

So I don't know how it will go down, but I decided to go ahead and purchase the upcoming game I was excited about. I have been looking forward to it, so I guess I should see how things go.

I don't really have a need for LIVE right now, and I've been wanting to sit down to work on a single-player game.

I guess we'll see is all I can really say.

Avatar image for Alexander2cents
Alexander2cents

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#41  Edited By Alexander2cents
Member since 2012 • 705 Posts

I have lost interest in gaming. It's a waste of time when I could get 1 million likes on Facebook for my political beliefs.

People tell me it's for kids sometimes and I hate that.

ruzuyu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ruzuyu
Member since 2022 • 24 Posts

It's completely normal. You don't have to keep up with every new game released. And other things that are going on with your life can naturally get in the way as well (family, work, studies etc.)

Same thing has happened to me. I just can't focus on any game and commit my time as much as I did in the past since I find it too energy draining after long hours of work. The only game that hooked me like that recently was Elden Ring.

Now I got back to Diablo 2 Resurrected and play it casually in my own time after work. It brings back the nostalgic feelings. No hustle, no rush. I'll probably play D2R and D3 once again until D4 comes out. And just like you mentioned, Persona 5 Royal looks also great and I'd like to try it, too. You don't have to feel like you 'have to' enjoy games to the fullest with tons of hours spent. Just take your time with them and let it flow.

pillarrocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By pillarrocks

@davillain:

I agree you need a passion for gaming otherwise it's just you playing a game and quickly getting bored or just powering through it.

pillarrocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 pillarrocks

@rewgle: @davillain:

I think just limiting yourself to Overwatch 2 and being disappointed in how the game turned out would get me uninterested in gaming especially if I poured money into the DLC. I have a huge backlog as well(PS3/PS4/Xbox One/Series S, Switch) and been slowly tackling my Switch games. I myself like single player games and will try RPG, First Person Shooters, Racing, Fighting, etc just so I am not just stuck to playing one genre which is what I used to do with sports games like back in 1993 with NBA and NFL games.

Rewgle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Rewgle

@pillarrocks: I think the passion thing is definitely somewhat true. You gotta be feeling the game you're playing and be in the right mindset for it. I feel like I am going through the motions a bit so far.

I'm over Overwatch. I liked the game, I even got some other people into it for a little while there. But I'm not above just severing my ties to the sequel over that whole issue. There are millions of other games, and I'll play the ones that I decide are worth it. I think Activision-Blizzard has fallen from grace anyway, and I am less likely now to want to try Diablo 4, which I had previously been curious about.

jeeenysmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By jeeenysmith
Member since 2022 • 1 Posts

Yes me too, I was playing https://freefmod.com/ for the long time. But with respect to time now I'm losing interest.

Why this is happening here.

GamePass101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 GamePass101
Member since 2022 • 4 Posts

I don't feel that way at all. If anything. I'm enjoying gaming so much right now.

Rewgle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Rewgle

So I keep playing Persona 5 Royal, but I have to play it in bursts kind of.

I've noticed that dungeons start to get to me after a while, then I'll miss working on my confidants and doing the daily stuff to increase my stats and whatnot.

Like I am on the fourth dungeon, but I feel like I can't sit and play it until I have more time. And I feel like the game is keeping me from working on the outside-of-dungeon stuff for the next several hours lol.

I think I feel mixed about how the game makes me feel. I am enjoying it, but maybe not in the way I had intended to before I started playing it.

sciophyte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#50 sciophyte
Member since 2016 • 28 Posts

I'm not losing interest in gaming per se, but I feel troubled by a lack of lasting excitement about any one title. I'm not even expecting to be into a game the way I was into WoW back in the day, or even Destiny 2 before they started cutting content. I just find myself constantly looking for the "next thing," and it's been a while since I finished a game. I suspect it's not "them" (the games), it's me. Maybe the reason some titles really sustained that fresh sense of engagement had to do with the novelty and relative lack of choices. After all, it took some time for anything to truly rival WoW. Could be I'm over-saturated.