Is a collection of games so important to you?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

LovePotionNo9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 LovePotionNo9
Member since 2010 • 4751 Posts

I try to get a large quantity of high quality titles, games that I enjoy. Restraint has been difficult this gen compared to previous ones for me. So many games I want to get. What I do is put all the game boxes and such away, and use CD/DVD wallets for disc based games and various other wallet-like cases for DS, PSP, etc. games. And they're easily accessible. Living space isn't too cramped that way.

But yeah, if you really truly don't like a lot of your games, then you might as well get rid of some. I try to only get ones I know I'll like. Also, if getting rid of a lot of them helps you feel less cramped at home, it's sure worth it. I found a compromise that worked for me.

Good luck.

Koi-Neon-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#3 Koi-Neon-X
Member since 2009 • 2148 Posts

For me it is. So many games I love and enjoy playing I can't see how I could part with them. I have a pretty decent PS1, PS2, and PS3 collection going and I would have had a nice Sega Genesis and Super Nintendo collection along with it if my family didn't decide to leave all my stuff behind when they moved instead of sending it to me while I was in Japan serving in the U.S. Navy (I know I mention this quite often, but it still hurts). :(

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44153 Posts
I've really been bitten by the collector bug this gen and like to keep all the games I buy. Sure there's games I have now that I'll likely never play again but that's ok because I really enjoy just having a big collection of games.
Moxie7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Moxie7
Member since 2011 • 88 Posts

I keep all my games, partially because I just enjoy replaying games, and partially because it's fun to remember what it was like to play a game for the first time (especially 10+ year old games).

raven_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 raven_squad
Member since 2007 • 78438 Posts
I keep the vast majority of games that I buy, but not necessarily all together in one collection. I've got alot of PS2 era and before games in sealed tubs in the garage. I can access them if I want to, they are completely safe, and they aren't in the way. My main collection just has all the current gen games and my absolute favorites from PS2 and PS1.
c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#7 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

For me, yes -- it is. I fear that if I were to give up most of my collection, there would come a day where I would suddenly want to re-play a game I once owned. Tracking it down again isn't a prospect I'm too keen on, so I keep everything on hand.

ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 ZombieKiller7
Member since 2011 • 6463 Posts

This is my way :

1. Keep library small and tight. Only the games I absolutely love.

2. Buy less. Buy only stuff I'm crazy about.

3. Play the hell out of everything.

I used to buy alot of games, now I buy alot less, and I play them longer and harder.

To me it's more fun this way.

Mortos13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#9 Mortos13
Member since 2010 • 304 Posts

A collection of games isnt really important to me. I only play replayable games. Now back in the old days, a collection would be awesome because youd make some bucks nowadays.

koospetoors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10 koospetoors
Member since 2004 • 3715 Posts

For me, yes -- it is. I fear that if I were to give up most of my collection, there would come a day where I would suddenly want to re-play a game I once owned. Tracking it down again isn't a prospect I'm too keen on, so I keep everything on hand.

c_rake
Trust me, nothing feels more crap than wanting to replay a game you just recently sold. I did so with Viking: Battle for Asgard and still am searching for a new copy (honestly never thought I'd want to play it again). I absolutely want to punch my past self in the face for selling it :P
parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#11 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

I can only afford a few, though I enjoy collecting them. After 2 years of owning a ps3, I have 24 games. Is that not many? Atleast where I live it's a lot, most of my friends never get past 10.

speedfog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#12 speedfog
Member since 2009 • 4966 Posts

I can't I just... can't.

Allmosteveryone in my family has one of those things :).

My grand mom/grand dad collects blu-ray/DVD.

My mother/sister collects cd's.

And my dad... well nothing he is the only one that collects nothing.

You can allways replay those old gamesagain so I haveno reason to remove them frommy collection.

PublicNuisance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#13 PublicNuisance
Member since 2009 • 4582 Posts

I was thinking recently about collections. Some people collect a few dozen titles, some into the hundreds and thousands. I raise this because I have been thinking about "streamlining" things - basically keeping things simple. There's so much I don't play anymore and I just think what is the point keeping these games? Sure, I could keep some of the rarities but most of the old stuff isn't worth much and is just there.

Maybe it'll just be better to only keep what you have been playing the past year or so and make a dozen titles that are special to you. When it comes to your games collection, do you think you need to expand it, reduce it or are you someone who will keep everything and just keep making room for new stuff? Even though these are games, I feel it's cluttering up my space and making it hard to find things. Sure, I could arrange games but eventually everything goes out of order somehow when I take games out and lazily put them back.

Thorpe89

I try to get rid of any game I consider not worthy of my collection. There's no reason to keep what you consider a bad game. I will keep a good game I have beaten even if I won't play it again though.

vadicta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

#14 vadicta
Member since 2007 • 4354 Posts

Nah, gaming's too expensive for me to do that. I usually keep my games for about a year, less if I don't like them. After I know there's nothing left for me to do in them, they go. Only games that I know I'll never stop coming back to are the ones I'll keep.

lensflare15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 lensflare15
Member since 2010 • 6652 Posts

I enjoy building up a collection. It's not really "important", but I enjoy it. And I replay old games a lot too. My collection isn't that large right now, but I hope I can get it bigger eventually.

Wolfetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Wolfetan
Member since 2010 • 7522 Posts

I was thinking recently about collections. Some people collect a few dozen titles, some into the hundreds and thousands. I raise this because I have been thinking about "streamlining" things - basically keeping things simple. There's so much I don't play anymore and I just think what is the point keeping these games? Sure, I could keep some of the rarities but most of the old stuff isn't worth much and is just there.

Maybe it'll just be better to only keep what you have been playing the past year or so and make a dozen titles that are special to you. When it comes to your games collection, do you think you need to expand it, reduce it or are you someone who will keep everything and just keep making room for new stuff? Even though these are games, I feel it's cluttering up my space and making it hard to find things. Sure, I could arrange games but eventually everything goes out of order somehow when I take games out and lazily put them back.

Thorpe89
more, MOre, MORE!! Lol
DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DarkCatalyst
Member since 2002 • 20968 Posts
I detest collectors who buy games with no intention of playing them, but I do see a ton of merit in sustaining a sizable backlog so as to have plenty to play should gaming ever change so much that it doesn't resemble why I got into it anymore.
MunchmaQuchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MunchmaQuchi
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
I love collecting games myself. Even if they are old and i don't play them anymore. It is kind of like a trophy room type of thing to me lol
FlamesOfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 FlamesOfGrey
Member since 2009 • 7511 Posts
Since I consider myself a video game collector and actively collect a large amount video games monthly so yes, having a big collection of games is important to me. I'm personally around 2,500 video games collected and don't plan on ever selling any of them. I have a limit on what type of games I buy and stick to that so, I don't go overboard for my own personal standards. As far as space is concerned, I make room once I've run of out space by buying new shelves or switching things around etc... In regards to playing my collection, I play as much as I can but I don't feel pressured to play anything just because I have a huge collection of video games. At the end of the day it is a hobby for me whether I have 1 game or 1,000.
neatfeatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 neatfeatguy
Member since 2005 • 4400 Posts

I could never really understand why people would want to sell off their games. There are some reasons I could understand; very limited income for example. I just can't bring myself to sell my games, they're mine....I paid for them and I played them all (almost all of them, still have some unopened games I haven't gotten to yet). I still go back and play games every now and then, sometimes the same ones, sometimes ones I haven't played in years.

Everyone collects something; I used to be a big Garfield collector when I was young - but mostly grew out of it. Now my only collection of things is games. I still have my PS2 and the dozen plus games I picked up for it (not really sure why I got a PS2, I didn't play it much). I got my hands on a PS3 through a raffle, otherwise I wouldn't own one. I've got a dozen games or so for it that I play from time to time.

Otherwise my gaming enthusiasm comes strictly from PC games. I've got 200+ PC games, 75% or so are physical copies (which I perfer). I like my games and keeping them reminds me off the good times I had playing them. Some are fun to replay over and over again, others are okay for once in a while and the very few are ones I can't believe I purchased and will never play again....but they are mine.

I suppose this comes from when I was young, my older brother and I used to collect games and systems.....he got into drugs in high school and needed money to feed his habit, he stole all my games, money and a chunk of our card collection - not to mention his comic book collection where he worked so hard to get first copies of X-Men, Batman, Wolverine and so on.....anyways, since then I haven't sold off any game or console that I still have in my possession. That is why I have my collection and keep it as is.

Vyse_Legends

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Vyse_Legends
Member since 2007 • 9387 Posts

Well everyone likes collecting something. Some enjoy stamps, coins, purses, shoes, and games.

Games are something I loves having.:P Though admittidly they do take up space.:?

Avatar image for silentnightmere
silentnightmere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 silentnightmere
Member since 2009 • 1520 Posts
Uh Sorta. I have about 30 PS2 games , 9 PS3 games and 7 360 games. Why so little ? Cause I dont have a job. Im only 17 atm (turn 18 in a month) and for me to get games I want I have to give up games. It kinda sucks. But when I do get my job in a month or so. My collection is gonna skyrocket. I want to end up with about 300 games Ps3 , 360 , PS2 (my collection isn't done yet for this system), PS1 and Genesis too. I have 7 genesis games and 4 ps1 games so. I like collecting games I love and playing them. :D
Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Zevvion
Member since 2009 • 454 Posts

You should keep games because one day you'll wake up and crave to play it again. If it was a good game it will happen at some point.

I've actually sold my PS2 twice and rebought it three times. One time I wanted to play MGS2 and 3 again. On two occasions Final Fantasy X. I've sold Mass Effect, then when money was tight and I wanted to play it, I actually pirated it. Then deleted it, then at some point I bought it again. I've sold Ninja Gaiden Black... I don't even know. I think over four times. I've put over 300 hours in that game. Every time I thought I was done, I woke up one day, craving to play it.

I can name more examples for like... 30 games. I've never had it happen before that I didn't want to replay a game at some point. As a result, I still own games right now that - if I didn't learn anything - I would have sold off by now. But I just know the day will come when I wake up and want to play them again, this time I'll be happy as balls I can still get them off my own shelve instead of searching retro game stores to get a copy for way too much money.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#24 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

I'm all about collecting and never trade or sell my games.

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
I used to be heavily into collecting games and game memorabilia. Now, I am on a stricter budget and can only afford a handful of games every year. Granted, I have a significant backlog, but many of them are games I bought solely to put them into "the collection" rather than find games I wanted to play and have fun with. I do keep games around though, not for collecting purposes, but just to have on hand in case I feel like playing it again down the road.
Novemberrr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Novemberrr
Member since 2011 • 163 Posts
I am always looking to expand my game collection, either through digital means or actual hard copies. I think it's really awesome that I can own such a varied collection of games and have people compliment me on some of the oddities that I have. I don't go out of my way to find really old rare games or anything of that nature..but if I find a deal here and there, I always jump on it..principle I guess. :P
gossipexpress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 gossipexpress
no..i don't think it will be ever important for me to collect games...there are more important things for me like watching a man united match..
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#28 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
Put your game boxes on a shelf. Done. No offense, but you're making it sound more complicated than it is..
LustForSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 LustForSoul
Member since 2011 • 6404 Posts
I keep all my games. Couldn't care less about the money really.
ycdeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#30 ycdeo
Member since 2004 • 2841 Posts

I normally trade in my old games & spend on newer titles!

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

I've got about 30+ PS3 games. I've got 4 games I haven't even started on, and three more pre-ordered. If I sold my collection, well, you only get a fraction of what you paid for them, and what would I do with that money anyway? Buy more games and make my backlog even bigger?

I've got the PS3 on one shelf and the games on the shelf above it. Looks nice that way :) And if I finish one game and my next game isn't coming out for a week or so, it's nice to be able to peruse the collection and play a bit of this one night, and a bit of that the next night.

CFGD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 CFGD
i used to be the guy who would go into game stop and see an old madden for 2.00 and get it just to say i have it. ive grown smarter. now, i only keep my absolute favorite series now. then again, i have no interest in playing most of these new games coming out anyway.
bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#33 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts
I only collect Zelda Games and I treasure them :P
JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#34 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
I've gone through bouts of selling games and then regretting them. Even though I don't play them anymore, I hate the feeling of, "I wish I still had that game because I feel like playing it again." So, I just keep everything that I have now. Instead of getting rid of games to buy new ones, I just play the old ones I haven't finished. Saves me money, and helps me cut through my backlog.
M13L13S

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 M13L13S
Member since 2010 • 3819 Posts

Having a collection's pretty important to me. I enjoy having a lot of games that I can play whenever, especially since I do not yet have a job. I also like getting collector's editions.

tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 tjricardo089
Member since 2010 • 7429 Posts

I loved to collect games, but I gave up for the little fact that physical games will cease to exist in a matter of time. Digital is good, but unfortunately the library is smaller, because there are no games like Grim Fandango, Spider-Man games, Croc games, Harry Potter games..

BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#37 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

Not really. There are deffinately some I would never get rid of, but otherwise, I trade away games whe I'm done with them.