Instruction manuals. Keep them or eliminate them?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

OwnallConsoles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 OwnallConsoles
Member since 2010 • 404 Posts

eliminating them could help save trees and put less stress on the environment. If a game sells 5 million copies that also is 5 million books. I never read them and find them pretty much useless. What say yoU?

davidkamayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 davidkamayor
Member since 2008 • 1642 Posts

eliminating them could help save trees and put less stress on the environment. If a game sells 5 million copies that also is 5 million books. I never read them and find them pretty much useless. What say yoU?

OwnallConsoles

why is this on legacy platforms, but I'd like to know some things about the game

bu tmaybe those books are too wasteful with pictures of your game controller and how to plug it in

and sezure warnnings and printing the manual in french

BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#3 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

Keep them

And not only keep them, but they need to start putting actual instructions in them again. I hate having to play through tutorials because I forgot 1 move

bigM10231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#4 bigM10231
Member since 2008 • 11240 Posts

keep them for the collectors

OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts
Keep them. Get rid of printing the entire thing in different languages.
muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 muthsera666
Member since 2005 • 13271 Posts
I love the manuals. I read them just as a way to relive the experience of playing the game, or because the backstory and information they provide contribute to playing the game.
Cloud-Zehro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7 Cloud-Zehro
Member since 2010 • 919 Posts

Keep them! It makes the game package feel complete...

angelo3903

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 angelo3903
Member since 2009 • 206 Posts

Include them as a digital printable (for the collectors) file that can be viewed anywere.

paradigm68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 paradigm68
Member since 2003 • 5588 Posts
Keep them, people don't get there are much better ways of saving our planet. Besides conserving a couple dozen paged booklet. The companies just use the conservation excuse so it sounds better when they will save a couple pennies for every hundred games sold. While good physical manuals are harder and harder to come by nowadays, let them die off when all of our games will be digital downloads.
rwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 rwallacefan
Member since 2005 • 4886 Posts

I only keep the ones that I find a collector's or just a fun thing to look at from past memories.

Like Parasite Eve for example I have that one since I have the case to go along with it, so if the value of the game is high, IF selling I have it complete with everything

Daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#11 Daavpuke
Member since 2009 • 13771 Posts

Keep them obviously. Recyclable paper exists, so that argument can't really fit the bill. Manuals are always handy. If anything they keep forums like these free from daily threads about "which button do I use to run" and other pointless things. It puts less stress on the interwebz.

meteo_ryte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#12 meteo_ryte
Member since 2005 • 1962 Posts

They should get rid of printed manuals but provide them online. PDF is where it's at - let the game owner decide whether or not to waste paper. Some companies are beginning to do that now, as it also cuts costs for them. And the interwebz doesn't feel stress! But i suppose sites like this do.

Rocky32189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Rocky32189
Member since 2007 • 8995 Posts
Keep them. The amount of paper used to make game manuals is nothing compared to total paper use. Also, the environmentalist argument doesn't work because paper can be recycled. Game companies simply use this as an excuse. In actuality the only reason they want to get rid of manuals is because it will save them money.
kingdavid562

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14 kingdavid562
Member since 2010 • 1173 Posts

Keep them. Get rid of printing the entire thing in different languages.OreoMilkshake
not every one speaks english you know:?

i say make them smaller and include more instructions in the game...

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#15 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts

keep manuals, but change them a bit

- cut out the clutter, some manuals are filled with things which are completly useless, like the "setting up your console" section, its a waste of paper, or telling you what the options in the main menu do.

- make them higher quality, it amazes me that alot of games manuals are still in black in white, considering the price of games now, a colour print wouldnt impact the price much.

Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Panzer_Zwei
Member since 2006 • 15498 Posts

Hell I wish I had the instruction cards for a lot of my arcade games. But those are harder to find than the actual games.

Greyfeld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 Greyfeld
Member since 2008 • 3007 Posts

[QUOTE="OreoMilkshake"]Keep them. Get rid of printing the entire thing in different languages.kingdavid562

Except if you stop to think about it... the manual is printed in 2-3 languages... but the game only plays in English. So, why are we catering to other languages in the written format when they have to know English to understand the game anyway?

z4twenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18 z4twenny
Member since 2006 • 4898 Posts

[QUOTE="kingdavid562"]

[QUOTE="OreoMilkshake"]Keep them. Get rid of printing the entire thing in different languages.Greyfeld

Except if you stop to think about it... the manual is printed in 2-3 languages... but the game only plays in English. So, why are we catering to other languages in the written format when they have to know English to understand the game anyway?

actually there are multi5 versions of games that will have english,spanish,german,french and italian all on the same disc and you pick your language at the beginning, but thats not in the u.s. usually.

i say keep them, i can think of a lot of things we could cut down on aside from video game manuals that could save alot more trees (ever seen the amount of paper trash the average businessputs outin one week?)

kingdavid562

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19 kingdavid562
Member since 2010 • 1173 Posts

[QUOTE="kingdavid562"]

[QUOTE="OreoMilkshake"]Keep them. Get rid of printing the entire thing in different languages.Greyfeld

north america all gets the same game and the disk sometimes holds 3 laguages...

you have to change the laguage of the consel for it to change..

and it is more important to have the manual if you dont speak english..

my friend who speaks spanish can pass RPGs without knowing much english..thanks to the manual..

muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 muthsera666
Keep them. Get rid of printing the entire thing in different languages.OreoMilkshake
I think I only have one game that has a manual in a different language as well as English. I didn't know it was that common of a thing.
billyd5301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#21 billyd5301
Member since 2008 • 1572 Posts

OwnallConsoles
5 million guides on recycled paper is nothing. If anything they should go back to the days where you get a backstory, and an actual manual in the game. Companies like Rockstar are still printing useful guides, but EA has gradually got worse since PS2. Now you basically get a move list, a paragraph about the changes from the last installment, and a Live disclaimer. That is very shoddy.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b2b34c3a42a1
deactivated-5b2b34c3a42a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-5b2b34c3a42a1
Member since 2009 • 2436 Posts

OwnallConsoles

I think that they had a use before, but I'd say the could be done without now. They could just have ingame manuals.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b2b34c3a42a1
deactivated-5b2b34c3a42a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-5b2b34c3a42a1
Member since 2009 • 2436 Posts

[QUOTE="OwnallConsoles"]

billyd5301

5 million guides on recycled paper is nothing. If anything they should go back to the days where you get a backstory, and an actual manual in the game. Companies like Rockstar are still printing useful guides, but EA has gradually got worse since PS2. Now you basically get a move list, a paragraph about the changes from the last installment, and a Live disclaimer. That is very shoddy.

I really like how R* includes maps and posters with all their games. Other devs should do that with their games more often.

Daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#24 Daavpuke
Member since 2009 • 13771 Posts
[QUOTE="OreoMilkshake"]Keep them. Get rid of printing the entire thing in different languages.muthsera666
I think I only have one game that has a manual in a different language as well as English. I didn't know it was that common of a thing.

Depends where you live. In Europe that is common. Sometimes there won't even be an English explanation, or even worse, they only choose 1 language of a country, when it has multiple. Imagine living in Quebec, not knowing French and the booklet starts with "allumez votre console".
Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#25 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts
Are you crazy man? Keep them! They're the cool little extra prize that comes with the game! You get more background on the story of a game and the characters, special moves are listed, and you get cool artwork. Why wouldn't you want those things? They already stopped packing in the line-up posters they used to do. Man those were awesome, I wish they'd still do that (NES Nintendo Line-Up, Sega Master System Line-Up, Tecmo NES Line-Up, Konami NES Line-Up, etc.)
JReefer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#26 JReefer1
Member since 2004 • 898 Posts
If it's for the begining of a new series then keep'em in, but for sports games and part two and three of games I see no reason to have a instruction insert, unless of course it's a special edition or something.
muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 muthsera666
[QUOTE="muthsera666"][QUOTE="OreoMilkshake"]Keep them. Get rid of printing the entire thing in different languages.Daavpuke

Depends where you live. In Europe that is common. Sometimes there won't even be an English explanation, or even worse, they only choose 1 language of a country, when it has multiple. Imagine living in Quebec, not knowing French and the booklet starts with "allumez votre console".

Ah, I gotcha. In the US, it doesn't seem very common.
hyper_trunkx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 hyper_trunkx
Member since 2004 • 6719 Posts
i always keep them
mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#29 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

i say keep them but , ,

make sure they are non ripable , -they must laminate for us

i lost several manuals over the years for gc xbox ps2 ,

i just dont keep most of the ones i use ,

but i hardly use those ,

snes and n64 era maybe but now i just play the games

-so most of if not all my new stuff has manuals except guitar hero 5 and vanhelen

i lost the first the later didnt come w one