In Final Fantasy games, do you prefer the turn-based battle system or real time?

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 19

#1 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

I don't touch the more recent Final Fantasy games because truthfully, I miss the turn-based battle system. It's what defines Final Fantasy for me.

Lembu90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#2 Lembu90
Member since 2015 • 665 Posts

Definitely turn based. FFXV is a travesty to the entire franchise. Only one exception is XII because it's not completely "real time" like FFXV but rather "pseudo turn based" with your characters and enemies takes their "turn" to attack rather than both attack each other at the same time.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8761 Posts

I never really got used to the real time FFs. Turn-based by a mile.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44098 Posts

I can still enjoy the real time battle system in some of the Final Fantasy games however I do prefer the turn based ones more.

Pomi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#5 Pomi
Member since 2019 • 5 Posts

I prefer the real time.

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 Valgaav_219
Member since 2017 • 3129 Posts

I prefer turn-based but they were on to something with FFXII's gambit system. It felt good and a proper gambit setup would make them huge dungeons fell like so much less of a slog. I had a blast when I got to play it again as The Zodiac Age and I gained a lot more respect for it after playing through it a second time.

Lady_Aijou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Lady_Aijou
Member since 2019 • 24 Posts

For the Final Fantasy series, I will always prefer the turn based combat that started with the originals. I didn't play a lot of the recent ones because it just didn't feel like Final Fantasy to me when using real time combat.

Vaidream45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Vaidream45
Member since 2016 • 2116 Posts

Turn based for me. But I’m old school and still prefer 2d mario games.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Absolutely turn based

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9394 Posts

I prefer turn-based. I really hope the next entry is a return to the PS1 style FF games.

FFs real time attepts are a mixed bag

• XII is awesome because of the gambit system. You still have strategy, but you build it into the characters logic. So a lot of the fun was setting that up before a battle and just tweak it until you get the desired results. It's like programming.
  • XIII is fun but only after you play the whole game and get all the abilities.
  • XV is okay once you turn on the pausing system, but there's really just not a lot to it.
omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3476 Posts

Turn-based without question. Modern main Final Fantasy games aren't the same as they once were.

FF12 is perhaps my favourite real-time battle system since I liked the gambit system.

Feels like the Square-Enix I once knew have fallen from grace with the Final Fantasy series :(

Clefdefa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#13 Clefdefa
Member since 2017 • 750 Posts

As things are, I doubt I'll continue my collection of Final Fantasy games ... XV was really ... it didn't felt like a FF to me.

Since Enix and SquareSoft merge, they kind of try to please the USA market so much that they aren't japanease nor american anymore. But they continue because people buy their games thinking it can be worst than the last one ... And so SE just see the sales ...

Maybe they always wanted to do what they did with XV but couldn't because of technological limitation ... but still ... I think IX was their last masterpiece and my favorite is still Tactics on the PSOne. That game was so perfect to me.

Anyway I'm replaying IV right now on the Vita and this shit is so much better than XV.

This parody do touch everything is wrong with XV and Square

Loading Video...

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#16  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15900 Posts

I am cool with both but leaning towards real time. FFXV sure have a terrible plot holes and incomplete story (it actually have one of better of FF story if u includes side stories and dlcs) but I have more fun and time in open world part of FFXV than in all other turn based FF. And I played every single damn singleplayer FF.

I probably just hated the grind in FF after years to it. Replayed FFX a few month back and I just stopped after we get Rikku because I am bored to death by the constant random encounters.