I'm I the only one who's tired of this over-the-shoulder viewpoint

This topic is locked from further discussion.

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 thebest31406
Member since 2004 • 3775 Posts

As far as I know, Resident Evil 4 was probably the first to do it. Then Gears of War worked with it in addition with the cover system. Now just about every third person shooter that comes out uses this over the shoulder, hug-the-wall technique and, for me anyways, every shooter out there feels the same. Does anyone else feel the same way?

Metal Gear Solid 4

Ghostbusters

Fallout 3

Resident Evil 5

m0zart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#2 m0zart
Member since 2003 • 11580 Posts

I'm not tired of it at all. I much prefer it actually to the usual FPS viewpoint, which I don't really care for in general.

aryoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 134

#3 aryoshi
Member since 2007 • 1729 Posts
I actually find it really easy to get used to and convenient. I did not like the set angle system in the earlier Resident Evil games, I was so relieved to find that the 4th game had an entirely new feel to it. I almost wish they'd remake the other ones with this view, it was hard to get a good shot with that system. I am also fond of the system that Brothers in Arms - Hell's Highway, and 007 Quantum of Solace have where you play the game in 1st person but you can take cover and it switches to 3rd person. I really prefer over-the-shoulder over a lot of others I've used.
amyrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 amyrbt
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
Lol, if you are the first one, i will be the second one.
Jekken6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 Jekken6
Member since 2008 • 2642 Posts

Fallout 3 doesn't count, since you can play it in First-Person or 3rd Person

Business_Fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 Business_Fun
Member since 2009 • 2282 Posts

Wasn't Splinter Cell doing this long before RE 4? Anyway, to answer your question, no, I'm not tired of it. I think it's a great way to view the action.

Dahaka-UK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Dahaka-UK
Member since 2005 • 6915 Posts

Wasn't Splinter Cell doing this long before RE 4? Anyway, to answer your question, no, I'm not tired of it. I think it's a great way to view the action.

Business_Fun
You could turn the camera any way you wanted in SC, and it's a stealth game.
Business_Fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Business_Fun
Member since 2009 • 2282 Posts

[QUOTE="Business_Fun"]

Dahaka-UK

True, but when you drew your weapon it switched to an over the shoulder view. It was bit clunky and you're right, it wasn't the core game mechanic, but pretty similar to what we're seeing in other games today.

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 thebest31406
Member since 2004 • 3775 Posts

Developers have been doing this for a while now so I might as well get use to it. :S

caddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 caddy
Member since 2005 • 28709 Posts
I like it, and I like it because it works well for shooting. I much prefer a view like that as opposed to a camera that is further back and instead it just gives you an auto-aim.
jjtiebuckle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11 jjtiebuckle
Member since 2008 • 1856 Posts
I thought it was fine until I played Dead Space, then it was just too much. As long as it doesn't interfere, I don't mind.
PwnUrFace10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 PwnUrFace10
Member since 2009 • 57 Posts
I am not tired of it at all. Actually, I think it's the best.
TriangleHard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#13 TriangleHard
Member since 2005 • 9097 Posts

I'm tired of first person perspective.

AtticusFinch88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 AtticusFinch88
Member since 2008 • 1388 Posts

I actually find it really easy to get used to and convenient. I did not like the set angle system in the earlier Resident Evil games, I was so relieved to find that the 4th game had an entirely new feel to it. I almost wish they'd remake the other ones with this view, it was hard to get a good shot with that system.aryoshi
I feel the same, especially when it comes to the old RE games. I like the over the shoulder view, I'd preffer it over first person view any day.

AirPortugall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 AirPortugall
Member since 2009 • 131 Posts
I don't see how you can like it...it would be like for a racing game, instead of having a cockpit view...to have it as a third-person perspective. I want to be immersed into the game...i don't see how you can be immersed when you see the person you're "supposed" to be.
gapinglotus9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 gapinglotus9
Member since 2009 • 95 Posts

I don't see how you can like it...it would be like for a racing game, instead of having a cockpit view...to have it as a third-person perspective. I want to be immersed into the game...i don't see how you can be immersed when you see the person you're "supposed" to be.AirPortugall

well thats a silly premise. how can you be immersed in a first person viewpoint when you cant see anything coming at you from the sides? i don't know about you but i have peripheral vision. the 3rd person perspective is actually a more realistic visual representation of real life vision except for seeing the back of your own head. both ways have their pros and cons. personally i prefere to see my character because i feel like 1st person persepctive lacks any attachment to the character.

King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#17 King9999
Member since 2002 • 11837 Posts

If it works well, why change it? All it is is a viewpoint that works really well for aiming.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#18 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

i'm not tired of it.

Rusteater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19 Rusteater
Member since 2004 • 4080 Posts

I'm absolutely sick and tired of it. It's become a game killer for me. I don't feel like I'm in the game. I feel like I'm controlling someone else who is.

No immersion value at all.

One the other hand, it's saved me a lot of money this year. I've hardly bought anything. I just borrow from people or rent.

But mostly borrow. Free is the cheapest!

Silverpeel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Silverpeel
Member since 2009 • 1607 Posts
Yeah, dead space also utilizes that gameplay. I also think it is more of a hassle and harder to control. However, in Fallout 3 it is optional.
noolli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 noolli
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
A good third person mechanic could be like a 3rd person view from cctv cameras and other poeples POV
Ironserpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Ironserpent
Member since 2008 • 646 Posts
I like the over the shoulder view. Its much easier than the actual FPS viewpoint.
Ironserpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Ironserpent
Member since 2008 • 646 Posts
A good third person mechanic could be like a 3rd person view from cctv cameras and other poeples POVnoolli
yeah, true, but that would get ridiculous for the player, don't you think?
PetJel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24 PetJel
Member since 2009 • 3725 Posts

I love the shoulder view, it was my main camera setup in Fallout 3 and I loved the aiming in MGS4 and RE4 aswell.

Meejoe27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Meejoe27
Member since 2009 • 786 Posts
I don't like it being the only view available. What i like is contextual changes in perspective. When my character is climbing a ladder, taking cover, wrestling with an enemy, carrying a large weapon, driving a vehicle etc... Ideally perspectives that can be changed yet take nothing away from the experience are prefered to any fixed perspective. Fallout 3 did a pretty good job in my opinion, though i chose the first person perspective about 80% of the time.
AirPortugall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 AirPortugall
Member since 2009 • 131 Posts

[QUOTE="AirPortugall"]I don't see how you can like it...it would be like for a racing game, instead of having a cockpit view...to have it as a third-person perspective. I want to be immersed into the game...i don't see how you can be immersed when you see the person you're "supposed" to be.gapinglotus9

well thats a silly premise. how can you be immersed in a first person viewpoint when you cant see anything coming at you from the sides? i don't know about you but i have peripheral vision. the 3rd person perspective is actually a more realistic visual representation of real life vision except for seeing the back of your own head. both ways have their pros and cons. personally i prefere to see my character because i feel like 1st person persepctive lacks any attachment to the character.

Well i'm guessing you're not a FPS person but an RPG one?? I don't like RPGs at all really so i like First-Person view. And there is one game with peripheral vision!! Forza 2 and soon Forza 3 lol - Three-screen setup ftw

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#27 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

I'm not tired of it at all. I much prefer it actually to the usual FPS viewpoint, which I don't really care for in general.

m0zart

I agree with m0zart. Also, an OTS view is much more realistic than a top-down view. Who wants to run a game with a view like you're riding in a helicopter?:P

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

As far as I know, Resident Evil 4 was probably the first to do it. Then Gears of War worked with it in addition with the cover system. Now just about every third person shooter that comes out uses this over the shoulder, hug-the-wall technique and, for me anyways, every shooter out there feels the same. Does anyone else feel the s..........

thebest31406

Haven't been gaming long, have you? Third person games have been around since the 90s. :lol:

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44542 Posts

No I'm definitely not tired of it. I typically love that kind of viewpoint and find that it usually works quite well.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#31 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

Its my favorite shooter view. I am not a big fan of FPS and third person behind the back view where you controls the cursor around the screen is a mess.dvader654

Not if it's done right.

Socom's third person view is the best I've seen and IMO, it actually works better than the over the shoulder view since it doesn't restrict your movement, and you dont have to press and hold an extra button just to go into the over-the-shoulder perspective.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#32 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

Its good- however Resident Evil and Gears were the ones to really nail it.

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
More games should give you the option of 1st or 3rd.
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

The only cameras I hate are cinematic cameras (fixed at angles which look cool but don't allow players to see enemies in line of sight of the characters), the best (or worst) example of which is the old RE games and sloppy cameras which fail to keep up with the action (NG is the example that springs to mind for me, just because the sluggish, sometimes stupid camera was a market contrast to the speedy gameplay).

playpassenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 playpassenger
Member since 2009 • 27 Posts
No way, I love Third Person Shooters and hate First person shooters. They get really annoying sometimes. I don't have the total control of the character that way. But with TPS, its a real treat. Have alway loved TPS and hated FPS. OK there are exceptions, like BLACK or KILLZONE or HALO, they were marvels. But otherwise, I don't think FPSs has ever fascinated me. What's the fun if you can't see the character you're playing in the entire game. I missed watchin Master Chief in Halo while playing. I could only get his glimpse during cutscenes. TPS is always better than FPS for me.
Akm4everz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Akm4everz
Member since 2004 • 2390 Posts

I like it... Change ur characters outfit or whatever.. and u get more of a veiw of whats going on IMO

Avatar image for deactivated-6016f2513d412
deactivated-6016f2513d412

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-6016f2513d412
Member since 2007 • 20414 Posts
Nah, I actually really like it for the most part.
Mash_Affect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Mash_Affect
Member since 2008 • 631 Posts

[QUOTE="Dahaka-UK"][QUOTE="Business_Fun"]

Business_Fun

True, but when you drew your weapon it switched to an over the shoulder view. It was bit clunky and you're right, it wasn't the core game mechanic, but pretty similar to what we're seeing in other games today.

Splinter Cell was the first game with that camera that I can think of. Followed by Ghost Recon 2.

Mash_Affect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Mash_Affect
Member since 2008 • 631 Posts

[QUOTE="AirPortugall"]I don't see how you can like it...it would be like for a racing game, instead of having a cockpit view...to have it as a third-person perspective. I want to be immersed into the game...i don't see how you can be immersed when you see the person you're "supposed" to be.gapinglotus9

Why would not being able to see things from my sides keep me from being immersed in a first person game? I've played many first person games and there are few games that can immerse you as much inanother perspective. It's as close to virtual reality in your home as it gets at the moment.

Gammit10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 119

User Lists: 2

#40 Gammit10
Member since 2004 • 2397 Posts
It works well with most games that have it. It adds to the scare in Dead Space, because you can't see all of your environment.