I'm getting my 11yr boy his first T game-suggestions for a mild war game-PS2/Wii

This topic is locked from further discussion.

meanestmom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 meanestmom
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
He wants a war game. Any suggestions? I have talked to some that say the History Channel War games are good and others who say Call of Duty games are ok, but then others say "no way" on Call of Duty games because they are too violent. Any suggestions for a younger boy and his first war game for PS2 or Wii? Thanks for all of the suggestions. There are some titles that you have suggested that I haven't looked at yet. I am trying to compromise here with a T game and of course he wants a war game! He loves history, the Civil War, battles, etc. Being the meanest mom in the world, with one of the best kids in the world, it is hard for me to watch him transition to "up close and personal" violence as in these war games. And yes, the PS2 still has some life in it yet! Again, thanks for all of the suggestions.
auron_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 auron_16
Member since 2008 • 4062 Posts
Call of Duty is what you're looking for.
xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 xMP44x
Member since 2008 • 425 Posts

Call of Duty isn't too bad. It's a good series, but if you're looking a mild one, I'd recommend you go for something apart from World at War. Modern Warfare 2 is kinda gory, but it's not too bad at all.

nilzg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 nilzg
Member since 2008 • 753 Posts

I'd say Call of Duty also, I've played it when I was 10 years old or something..

Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Phoenix534
Member since 2008 • 17774 Posts

Call of Duty is a very mild war game. I'd suggest this if you're getting one for PS2.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#6 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

Try call of duty 3

mazman3434

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#7 mazman3434
Member since 2008 • 306 Posts

Medal of Honor: Frontlines is old but I loved playing the game. If your son is interested in music, he will certainly like this game.

enterawesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 enterawesome
Member since 2009 • 9477 Posts
Medal of Honor: Frontlines, Call of Duty, and Metroid Prime 3 are the way to go.
Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
How about ignoreing all of the suggestions above and instead buy Valkyria chronicles. It is a Teen game, has a war theme and more child friendly then the Call of Duty games being suggested. Perticulary Modern Warfare 2 due to a certain scene that has you mow down innocent civilians in a airport.
Avatar image for Bluestorm-Kalas
Bluestorm-Kalas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Bluestorm-Kalas
Member since 2006 • 13073 Posts

If he said "no" to Call of Duty, then you should try and find Medal of Honor: Frontlines.

zencrobar67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 zencrobar67
Member since 2009 • 282 Posts

star wars battlefront 2

Moo-Moo-Milk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Moo-Moo-Milk
Member since 2005 • 1007 Posts

Ratchet Deadlocked

KillerWabbit23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14 KillerWabbit23
Member since 2009 • 3466 Posts

For PS2?

Call Of Duty 1-3.

or Call Of Duty-World At War FINAL FRONTS. Pay attention to the exact name. This version of COD 5 is toned down to a T rating-and I played it, it's really fun.

Medal Of Honor series

TimeSplitters 2

Ghost Recon series (make sure of the rating, some are rated M)

Star Wars: Battlefront 2

Battlefield 2:Modern Combat if your kid has a Slim PS2 or a fat one with an online adapter- not sure if anybody still plays on PS2 anymore, though...

Great war games, mild in nature.

Don't confuse them with COD 5-World At War,(NOT Final Fronts) or COD-Modern Warfare/MW2. Those games are M-rated, and for a reason. The increase in blood, gore, and swearing are something that you might not want to expose an 11-year-old to.

Sorry if I overwhelmed you, if you can only get one, get either COD 3 or Call Of Duty World At War-Final Fronts.

SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SteelAttack
Member since 2005 • 10520 Posts
Might want to consider getting him Modern Warfare Reflex Edition for the Wii. It's a Wii version of the first Modern Warfare game with IR controls. Pretty competent port, as a few friends have told me.
KillerWabbit23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 KillerWabbit23

Might want to consider getting him Modern Warfare Reflex Edition for the Wii. It's a Wii version of the first Modern Warfare game with IR controls. Pretty competent port, as a few friends have told me. SteelAttack

What sucks is that it's rated M....

SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SteelAttack
Member since 2005 • 10520 Posts

[QUOTE="SteelAttack"]Might want to consider getting him Modern Warfare Reflex Edition for the Wii. It's a Wii version of the first Modern Warfare game with IR controls. Pretty competent port, as a few friends have told me. KillerWabbit23

Lol, I just realized that. Scratch that suggestion then, as your picks are remarkably comprehensive.
KillerWabbit23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 KillerWabbit23

About that... I just searched on Gamestop.com and wrote down most of the things that came up lol. I think i might get some of them now...

rangegear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 rangegear
Member since 2008 • 3029 Posts

If you dont mind language than COD big red one is good but if so then Cod Finest hour or COD3 is good.

Avatar image for AtomicTangerine
AtomicTangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 AtomicTangerine
Member since 2005 • 4413 Posts

[QUOTE="SteelAttack"]Might want to consider getting him Modern Warfare Reflex Edition for the Wii. It's a Wii version of the first Modern Warfare game with IR controls. Pretty competent port, as a few friends have told me. KillerWabbit23

But isn't that graphic or profane really... It is not any worse than Call of Duty 2, and that got a teen rating.

KillerWabbit23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 KillerWabbit23

Ironic thing is, I've been talking with my parents about getting COD MW2 lateley.

Theyr'e worried about how "intense" it is. However, they were also worried about Metroid Prime... lol.

Oh well. Here ends my incessant rant.

muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#22 muthsera666
Member since 2005 • 13271 Posts
Freedom Fighters. End of thread...
Got_to_go

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Got_to_go
Member since 2009 • 2036 Posts

Freedom Fighters.

End of thread...muthsera666

Definately see if he'd like Freedom Fighters. It's a squad based shooter with plenty of replay value. It's set against the backdrop of a Soviet invasion of the U.S. You lead a small group of guerilla Freedom Fighters in attacks against the Reds. It's my personal favorite shooter on the PS2, but your son may find it a bit complex do to a mild emphasis on tactical combat.

Or if he's looking for something more simple, try Black. It's M rated, but there's not a drop of blood. (But plenty of bad guy killing) It's M rated because of a few curse words that are thrown around. If you think your son could handle that, then it's not a bad choice. It's filled with flashy and explosive action that I think a kid his age would get a kick out of.

Ask him what he thinks he would enjoy the most then make your decision.

bad_fur_day

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 bad_fur_day
Member since 2008 • 1988 Posts

How about ignoreing all of the suggestions above and instead buy Valkyria chronicles. It is a Teen game, has a war theme and more child friendly then the Call of Duty games being suggested. Perticulary Modern Warfare 2 due to a certain scene that has you mow down innocent civilians in a airport.Treflis

You seriously think an eleven year old would like Valkyria Chronicles... dude... Also it's on completely the wrong platform.

It would probably be best to stick with the big names like, Call of Duty, Socom: Navy Seals and Ghost Recon. I'm not sure if there are any T rated war games though. The ratings change based on what country your in. Ask him which one he likes.

I'm guessing he really wants and all his frends are talking about Call of Duty: Modern Warfare2 though, thats for Xbox360, PS3 and New PC's though, and it's not mild.

TM_Darkside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 TM_Darkside
Member since 2007 • 3993 Posts

Medal of Honor: Frontline. Incredible war game for the PS2.

gamer_96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#26 gamer_96
Member since 2009 • 589 Posts

Call of Duty

Underworldy69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#27 Underworldy69
Member since 2009 • 251 Posts

I started playin the GTA Series at GTA 3 when I was 4. GTA III right now would not be that bad comparing to the newer games, but yet looking at your forum I am guessing that might push the border for you so I guess Call of Duty 2 or 3 if you are looking for a mild war game but I dont think that is for PS2. They are WW2 games and both are very fun. For PS2 though there is an edited CoD World at War game that is T-rated but its not so great, but yet seeing your sons first T-rated game, it might not suck to him.

Tuky06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Tuky06
Member since 2007 • 5026 Posts

How about batallion wars 2 for wii? Not even rated T, but its a wargame and its not bad.

PetJel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#29 PetJel
Member since 2009 • 3725 Posts

Go for Medal of Honor Frontline for the Playstation 2. I used to play it all the time when I was younger. It's not complicated, it's not bloody or too violent. It's fun.

The older Call of Duty games (1 and 2) are fine aswell, but they are not available for the PS2. You could pick those up for an older pc if possible.

Modern Warfare 2 is not suited for a 11 year old from a parents perspective.

In any case I recommend a game with older graphics, when you shoot down realistic looking people it quickly becomes for a more mature audience.

Underworldy69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#30 Underworldy69
Member since 2009 • 251 Posts
if u would let ur kid play a mild war game like Medal of Honor, why not an M-Rated war game like Modern Warfare. Its technically the same violence except for small blood sprays and I am sure a small blood spray wont have a different effect on him just because its M-rated. Think of ESRB (Entertainment Software Rating Board) as a completely different parent. That is technically what they, setting different guidelines. And each parent has different rules, and ESRB is different.
m0zart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#31 m0zart
Member since 2003 • 11580 Posts

We have an official thread for this sort of request. Please see the stickied threads.