IGN: Wii's software tie in ratio an amazing 8:1... the highest in December

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gomanthethird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 gomanthethird
Member since 2008 • 438 Posts

:shock:

http://wii.ign.com/articles/847/847472p1.html

Wii Tie Ratio at 8:1 in December Players bought eight games for every Wii sold in December. That number is better than Xbox 360 and PS3. by Matt Casamassina

January 24, 2008 - If you're still under the impression that consumers are only buying Nintendo's new console for Wii Sports, perhaps the latest software to hardware tie ratio numbers from the NPD Group will change your mind. According to the software data tracking service, consumers purchased 8.11 games for every Wii console sold in December. This relates to 7.76 games for every Xbox 360 sold during the month and 5.04 games for every PlayStation 3 purchased in the same time frame.

Very strong sales of titles like Super Mario Galaxy, Wii Play, Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games, Guitar Hero III and more contributed to Wii's high tie ratio.

While Nintendo's console certainly flourished in December, perhaps signaling the beginning of solid tie ratios to come, it should be noted that Wii's life-to-date software to hardware tie ratio is at 4.64, compared to 4.26 on PlayStation 3 (despite a much smaller installed base) and 7.0 on Xbox 360, according to NPD data.

OneWingedAngeI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 OneWingedAngeI
Member since 2003 • 9448 Posts
how the hell is that possible? what are these people buying? i dont even own that many wii games after a year, i cant believe that EIGHT was the average tie in for a month. thats insane. i guess the TRU sale might have helped but still.
juradai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 juradai
Member since 2003 • 2783 Posts
I really think that Wii Play had alot to do with that number. Not for the games it offered though, but for the fact that wherever you went you couldn't find an extra Wii remote to buy for the system so you had to buy Wii Play. I think its just a temporary spike and will settle once they have satiated(if they haven't already) the demand for the extra controller for the Wii.
gomanthethird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 gomanthethird

I really think that Wii Play had alot to do with that number. Not for the games it offered though, but for the fact that wherever you went you couldn't find an extra Wii remote to buy for the system so you had to buy Wii Play. I think its just a temporary spike and will settle once they have satiated(if they haven't already) the demand for the extra controller for the Wii.juradai
Even if Wiiplay was discounted, Wii's software sales would still be ahead the 360's... which is mindblowingly good news for Nintendo, who appear to be taking over all aspects of the market.

Wii software actually outsold 360 by over a million units in December.

1.35M * 8.11= 10.9485M
1.26M * 7.76= 9.7776M

Difference of aprox 1.2 million

WiiPlay Dec sales = WII PLAY W/ REMOTE NINTENDO OF AMERICA FEB 2007 EVERYONE (E) 4 1.08 million

F1Lengend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 F1Lengend
Member since 2005 • 7909 Posts
[QUOTE="gomanthethird"]

[QUOTE="juradai"]I really think that Wii Play had alot to do with that number. Not for the games it offered though, but for the fact that wherever you went you couldn't find an extra Wii remote to buy for the system so you had to buy Wii Play. I think its just a temporary spike and will settle once they have satiated(if they haven't already) the demand for the extra controller for the Wii.dvader654

Even if Wiiplay was discounted, Wii's software sales would still be ahead the 360's... which is mindblowingly good news for Nintendo, who appear to be taking over all aspects of the market.

1.35M * 8.11= 10.9485M
1.26M * 7.76= 9.7776M

WiiPlay Dec sales = WII PLAY W/ REMOTE NINTENDO OF AMERICA FEB 2007 EVERYONE (E) 4 1.08 million

Well thats impressive. But its christmas and parents were looking for gifts to give their kids so guess what, huge spike in Wii software. The TRU sale was insane, every Wii game, no matter how crappy was sold out. In general Wii software is not as bad as most people think but its also not as good as December makes it out to be.

People are buying their kids 8 games? I want these parents. Thats good for the system though, third parties should really put some money into wii titles, get that quick money mentality out of there. I look forward to see what some of the better devs can do with this thing.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#7 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
lol i have 17 Wii games, but i didnt buy 8 in december..
Blayde-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Blayde-
Member since 2007 • 142 Posts

Wow, that's a pretty sad statement right there. What they hell are these people buying.

EazyB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 EazyB
Member since 2003 • 7944 Posts
In many cases, if one wants to buy a Wii they have to purchase it in a rediculous bundle. Case closed.
gomanthethird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 gomanthethird
[QUOTE="gomanthethird"]

[QUOTE="juradai"]I really think that Wii Play had alot to do with that number. Not for the games it offered though, but for the fact that wherever you went you couldn't find an extra Wii remote to buy for the system so you had to buy Wii Play. I think its just a temporary spike and will settle once they have satiated(if they haven't already) the demand for the extra controller for the Wii.dvader654

1.35M * 8.11= 10.9485M
1.26M * 7.76= 9.7776M

Well thats impressive. But its christmas and parents were looking for gifts to give their kids so guess what, huge spike in Wii software. The TRU sale was insane, every Wii game, no matter how crappy was sold out. In general Wii software is not as bad as most people think but its also not as good as December makes it out to be.

True but also consider that Wii did not garner nearly the same level of software sales in relation to the 360 last year. If things continue in this direction as the Wii's userbase grows so rapidly it will begin to dominate software sales as well.
gomanthethird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 gomanthethird
In many cases, if one wants to buy a Wii they have to purchase it in a rediculous bundle. Case closed.EazyB
If that many people wanted Wii's so badly that they would purchase that many""ridiculous"" bundles (unlikely) just to get one, then that would speak volumes about the demand for the Wii. It's scary.
m0zart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#14 m0zart
Member since 2003 • 11580 Posts

In many cases, if one wants to buy a Wii they have to purchase it in a rediculous bundle. Case closed.EazyB

If a buyer wants a Wii so bad that they are willing to purchase a "ridiculous bundle", then that just means there is buying power associated with the Wii above and beyond its actual price tag.

Case reopened.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
I own two titles and plan on getting only two more over the next couple months... >_> Guess I better start buying.
EazyB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 EazyB

[QUOTE="EazyB"]In many cases, if one wants to buy a Wii they have to purchase it in a rediculous bundle. Case closed.m0zart

If a buyer wants a Wii so bad that they are willing to purchase a "ridiculous bundle", then that just means there is buying power associated with the Wii above and beyond its actual price tag.

Case reopened.

Everyone has already known the demand for the Wii is unprecedented. The mystery has always been what were all those Wii owners playing? Many have come to the conclusion that many are buying it as a Wii Sports machine. What's interesting about the December numbers is that people are actually buying, get this... Wii games.

Here's my answer to this phenomenon: Bundles.

Here's how the only way one can purchase a Wii from GameStop.com, Target.com and Walmart.com

Best Buy has 3 different Wii bundles and if one's lucky they may find it seperate as well.

Even Amazon has 8 different bundles.

So in conclusion, 3rd party developers will not see these attatch ratios as potential sales for future games, and it can't be concluded that people just love the Wii's library. I personally have 6 Wii games and only see a few buys on the horizon.

Avatar image for SmashBrosLegend
SmashBrosLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SmashBrosLegend
Member since 2006 • 11344 Posts
Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games is already the best-selling third party game on the Wii. That game is a little underrated if you ask me. It's not an amazing game by any stretch, but it's one of the few minigame compilations on the Wii that plays well. It's on par with Monkey Ball and Wario Ware.
m0zart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#18 m0zart
Member since 2003 • 11580 Posts
So in conclusion, 3rd party developers will not see these attatch ratios as potential sales for future games, and it can't be concluded that people just love the Wii's library. I personally have 6 Wii games and only see a few buys on the horizon.EazyB

That's a conclusion I just don't think you can come to without data to back it up. For one thing, few of those bundles had an eight-game average attached to them for required purchase. (In fact, did ANY of them go higher than four?) Additionally, in order to know what the impact of this was, we'd have to see how many of the Wiis sold in this past hoorah were in fact in bundles. Though bundles were largely required for online orders, they weren't required for most in-store purchases. Finally, these bundles have been required for online purchases almost since the time that the Wii was released a full year ago, but they haven't padded the attach ratio for any other month as you are implying they did for the month of December.

I think that it's unavoidable that some part of the Wii attach ratio is due to online bundles, but the evidence isn't there for it to be responsible for December's boost to an 8:1 ratio, which is significantly higher than previous months.

EazyB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 EazyB
That's a conclusion I just don't think you can come to without data to back it up. For one thing, few of those bundles had an eight-game average attached to them for required purchase. (In fact, did ANY of them go higher than four?) Additionally, in order to know what the impact of this was, we'd have to see how many of the Wiis sold in this past hoorah were in fact in bundles. Though bundles were largely required for online orders, they weren't required for most in-store purchases. Finally, these bundles have been required for online purchases almost since the time that the Wii was released a full year ago, but they haven't padded the attach ratio for any other month as you are implying they did for the month of December.

I think that it's unavoidable that some part of the Wii attach ratio is due to online bundles, but the evidence isn't there for it to be responsible for December's boost to an 8:1 ratio, which is significantly higher than previous months.

m0zart

Fine, they're all picking up:

Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Skylock00
Member since 2002 • 20069 Posts
[QUOTE="m0zart"]

[QUOTE="EazyB"]In many cases, if one wants to buy a Wii they have to purchase it in a rediculous bundle. Case closed.EazyB

Case reopened.

Everyone has already known the demand for the Wii is unprecedented. The mystery has always been what were all those Wii owners playing? Many have come to the conclusion that many are buying it as a Wii Sports machine. What's interesting about the December numbers is that people are actually buying, get this... Wii games.

Here's my answer to this phenomenon: Bundles.

Here's how the only way one can purchase a Wii from GameStop.com, Target.com and Walmart.com

Best Buy has 3 different Wii bundles and if one's lucky they may find it seperate as well.

Even Amazon has 8 different bundles.

So in conclusion, 3rd party developers will not see these attatch ratios as potential sales for future games, and it can't be concluded that people just love the Wii's library. I personally have 6 Wii games and only see a few buys on the horizon.

That's a nice theory, but last time I checked, NPD numbers don't take into account online sales (at best, they estimate these numbers, but I don't even think that's the case), so these bundles probably aren't included as part of their stats, IIRC.
hair001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 hair001
Member since 2005 • 1202 Posts
I would assume that its parents buying gifts that have accounted for these numbers, but it will be interesting to see weather or not Wii software can maintain high sales all year round as the software lineup has definatly been boosted alot in the past few months