If you read a walkthrough, which one do you usually pick?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JmanRBS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 JmanRBS
Member since 2006 • 394 Posts

When you are stuck in a game and you decide to look at a walkthrough on gamefaqs, do you usually click the first walkthrough at the top of the page? Or do you usually read gamespots official walkthrough if they have one?

GrandJury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 GrandJury
Member since 2009 • 15396 Posts
Well I think the last walkthrough I used that was Gamespots was for Splinter Cell Double Agent. Gamefaqs is usually the one I will use, that or a video walkthrough. BTW, awesome big boss man avatar.
izdan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 izdan
Member since 2009 • 741 Posts

i just look a teh title and decide which one i need to use wheather it be a monsterwalkthrough a gamewalkthrough or a boss walkthrough.

eh-ut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 eh-ut
Member since 2009 • 563 Posts
I will pick the trusted walkthrough source.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#5 64316431
Member since 2008 • 347 Posts
i look for gamefaqs walkthroughs, the biggest file size gets me
Silent-Hal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 Silent-Hal
Member since 2007 • 9795 Posts
I pick the one with the biggest file size, because I automatically assume that one will be the most in depth.
Toribor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 Toribor
Member since 2005 • 3255 Posts
I pick the one with the biggest file size, because I automatically assume that one will be the most in depth. Silent-Hal
I second that. Sometimes they are too wordy and I pick a shorter one if I'm just looking for quick tips.
muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8 muthsera666
Member since 2005 • 13271 Posts
I pick the one with the biggest file size, because I automatically assume that one will be the most in depth. Silent-Hal
This is my method. Sometimes it works better than others. If GameSpot has a walkthrough, I'll usually at least check it out, but I don't always use it.
Sides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Sides
Member since 2003 • 4289 Posts

I read them all :D

92GreenYJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 92GreenYJ
Member since 2006 • 482 Posts
Honestly I didn't even know there were walkthrus on here. Usually if I am stuck I go to Gamefaqs and I also usually will use the one with the largest file size for the same reasons listed above. That being said there are some games I will always buy the paper strategy guide for, Like pretty much any Square Enix RPG (Final Fantasy, Star Ocean, Etc) because I know I'll need it eventually to get all the secrets and such. Square is really good at hiding tons of stuff. Ultima weapons are a great exmple. Usually if you don't do a certain thing at a certain point the weapon is lost and you can neer get it after that no matter what you do
SpaceAngelCyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#11 SpaceAngelCyn
Member since 2004 • 28 Posts
I usually check GameFAQs for all of my walkthroughs unless they somehow don't have what I'm looking for, or I don't find a guide I like. I guess I'm weird because I like guides to be written a certain way. I like it when a guide author writes a guide but they add their own personal touch and sense of humor to it, I guess this makes the guide more "enjoyable" for me if I'm going to be using it in the longrun for referencing and whatnot. It also depends on the type of game I'm playing, If I'm playing a Final Fantasy game then I'm going to want a guide that is longer, more in depth, etc. and if it's something like Resident Evil I prefer something short and simple yet something that will give me the information I need to progress through the game and collect all the items and extras along the way. If I find I enjoy an author's "writing style" in a guide they've done, I tend to look for their name when I go to another games guide list. :] So in the end, I basically compare various guides before I decide which on will work best for me. xD
muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#12 muthsera666
Member since 2005 • 13271 Posts
Honestly I didn't even know there were walkthrus on here. Usually if I am stuck I go to Gamefaqs and I also usually will use the one with the largest file size for the same reasons listed above.92GreenYJ
There are occasional GameSpot walkthroughs for the big games, but other than those, the walkthroughs are the ones from GameFAQs.
Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#13 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26217 Posts
i usually get the guides
gopulpfiction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14 gopulpfiction
Member since 2004 • 401 Posts

In GameFAQs, I look for the one that has the biggest file; it usually has the depth and a useful table of contents that allows me to search for the portion of walkthrough I'm particularly interested in. I look at GameSpot's walkthroughs if I feel like reading a more "illustrative" guide instead of a purely text-based one. But most of the time I'm just looking for specific FAQs that deal with item locations.

DevilBorg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 DevilBorg
Member since 2009 • 810 Posts
I goto Gamefaqs and pick whichever one is in the middle, then go from there if it's no good. (or I just goto a video site and watch a video instead, if I'm in a hurry)
anbu-black-ops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16 anbu-black-ops
Member since 2008 • 2380 Posts
that is so true. and i thought i was the only one. lol.