If you only had room for 1 legacy console...

• 54 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by gmoneybball91 (365 posts) -
Now a days, I usually only have the time to play one new gen console & one legacy console. So, my question to you is: If you guys all only had the time/money/room for 1 legacy console, which would it be & why?
#2 Posted by GreySeal9 (28247 posts) -

PlayStation 2. Since it can play both PS1 and PS2 games, the volume of games that can be played on the system is unparalleled.

Also, I love JRPGs, which PS2 is best for since it gives on access to both PS1 and PS2 JRPG libraries, both of which are arguably the best JRPG libraries of all time.

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
#3 Posted by Emerald_Warrior (6581 posts) -

I'd get a backwards compatible PS3. Then I could play PS1, PS2, and PS3 games! 3 fantastic systems in 1 each with great game libraries!

#4 Posted by Dudersaper (32951 posts) -

PlayStation 2. Since it can play both PS1 and PS2 games, the volume of games that can be played on the system is unparalleled.

Also, I love JRPGs, which PS2 is best for since it gives on access to both PS1 and PS2 JRPG libraries, both of which are arguably the best JRPG libraries of all time.

GreySeal9
^This And not only for JRPG's, there's just so many great gems in those two libraries.
Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
#5 Posted by Eikichi-Onizuka (9052 posts) -

I'd get a backwards compatible PS3. Then I could play PS1, PS2, and PS3 games! 3 fantastic systems in 1 each with great game libraries!

Emerald_Warrior
It's not a legacy console though, so that's kind of cheating. Right now I would pick a PS2 to play PS2/PS1 games. In a month I'd pick a Wii since it'll officially be legacy(thing has been practically dead as new games are concerned for the last year) to play Wii games, Gamecube games, and the Virtual Console library.
Avatar image for slamminjammin69
#6 Posted by slamminjammin69 (1599 posts) -

I would also have room for one more console. Not just room for only one console.

I would still have room and the time for my Gamecube while the other console I would have is the Playstation 2.

That way the Playstation 2 can play my older Playstation/PSOne games while playing the other Playstation 2 games

#7 Posted by Darkman2007 (17928 posts) -

Emerald_Warrior
trust me, you don't want a PS3 to play PS2 games, the hardware ones that were sold in Japan , and for a while in the US are fine, but the ones sold in Europe (and later in other regions) used software emulation , and I can tell you its not a nice thing to play a PS2 game where the sound cuts out , the picture is terrible, or the games just plain don't work (I actually used a PS3 like this before) as for the topic, its hard to decide.
#8 Posted by benleslie5 (8614 posts) -

GreySeal9

This

#9 Posted by BarbaricAvatar (982 posts) -

GreySeal9

This. Though not for JRPG's; don't like 'em. :D

Do like the range of Air-combat games, 3PS's and FPS's on it though.

--

As it stands, i only have one legacy console as it is anyway. My other 3 systems have keyboards.

#10 Posted by d_parker (2128 posts) -

PS2 so I could play Flatout and Flatout 2.

#11 Posted by Renegade_Fury (19599 posts) -

My Genesis, because it's the greatest console of all time.

#12 Posted by nooblet69 (5162 posts) -

I have to agree with the post about PS2 since there are still many games on there I wanted to try but never got around to. And there are so many amazing ps1 games that are backward compatible. Thats an easy choice :P.

#13 Posted by Amster_G (4329 posts) -

I'm definitely gonna have to pick PlayStation 2. Didn't take long to pick that one out at all.

Ps2.jpg

I simply have the best memories from that PlayStation 2 era. Also, my library was huge at the time.

#14 Posted by NirdBerd (2113 posts) -

Wii, to be honest.

Only a legacy console from an elitists anti-nintendo perspective, or the simple fact that the Wii is [dead?] and the next gen Wii U is on the way!

But anyway, I'd choose the Wii because it can play gamecube games, wii games, and the abundance of virtual console games spanning different systems (with all the best games to offer)

If I can't pick Wii, then I'll go with the Gamecube, small library, but literally endless fun.

#15 Posted by TheKungFool (5384 posts) -

well, there are a few easy answers if you pick systems that have back-comp (PS2, SegaCDX etc)

I assume the point of this question was intended to see what our #1 favorite legacy console is if we could only pick one and back-comp wasn't an issue, in which case I'd go PS1, with no hesitation.
Obviously though, if back-comp is taken into account, PS2 wins simply by merrit of having the entire PS1 library.

#16 Posted by MonkeySpot (6070 posts) -

PS2, or GameCube. Not really sure which. Pro'ly PS2 simply because it has more horror and adventure games I truly love to this day. "Clock Tower", "Silent Hill", "ResEvil" of course, "Siren", "Haunting Ground", "Echo Night: Beyond", "Drakan: The Ancients' Gates", all the "Norrath" games, "Buffy The Vampire Slayer: Chaos Bleeds", all the "Evil Dead" games... LoL

#17 Posted by Dudersaper (32951 posts) -
all the "Evil Dead" games... LoLMonkeySpot
I played Fistful of Boomstick once and just couldn't get into it. Really enjoyed Regeneration. btw great pick on your movie for today ;) "Splinter" is one of my favourite "recent" horror movies.
#18 Posted by naju890_963 (8954 posts) -

The good old PS2. Although I need to buy a new one, my fat doesn't read blueback discs.

#19 Posted by BarbaricAvatar (982 posts) -

The good old PS2. Although I need to buy a new one, my fat doesn't read blueback discs.

naju890_963

The opposite of mine! My slim doesn't read CD-ROM's.

I'm so set on the idea of keeping the PS2 and not having any other consoles that i've got 3 and i'm thinking of getting a 4th. Purely in the hope that it plays all types of disc and i don't have to keep switching between the fat and slim depending on what game i want to play.

Can't use the third one, that's my backup for later life if the other two don't last. :D

--

To be honest i reckon the controllers will wear out long before the consoles do. And they're going to be harder to get hold of in a decade or two. I want to expland on this thought....

#20 Posted by TommyBarban (653 posts) -

GreySeal9

That sounds like a good deal.

#21 Posted by Blueresident87 (5655 posts) -

I would have to go with the PS2. My heart would say SNES, but the library of games for PS2 would be too much to pass up.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
#22 Posted by deactivated-57ad0e5285d73 (21398 posts) -
Gotta go with the Wii. Nes, tg16, neo geo, snes, genesis, n64, GameCube, and wii games. Fck ps2.
#23 Posted by TheKungFool (5384 posts) -

Gotta go with the Wii. Nes, tg16, neo geo, snes, genesis, n64, GameCube, and wii games. Fck ps2.Heirren

fair enough friend, but the Wii isn't exactly legacy just yet, and once you start including downloadable classic titles, the entire conversation becomes rather pointless really.

#24 Posted by luckykoopsie (345 posts) -

soft modded my wii too play and endless amount of roms and it also plays gamecube and wii games, i play alot of supersmashbros melee with my cousins so i would need access to that

#25 Posted by CommanderShiro (21746 posts) -

Easily the PS2. I still own tons of PS2 games that have barely been played. Backlog is too big, and plenty of games I still enjoy replaying.

#26 Posted by Kage1 (6790 posts) -

PS2 for me.

#27 Posted by NiKva (8181 posts) -
PS2 that way I can play both my PS2 and PS1 games.
#28 Posted by chronicblunts (25 posts) -
That is easy. Super Nintendo.
#29 Posted by NinjaLegacy (189 posts) -

A full on backwards compatible PS3 that could play all of them. I would have a stack of 10 sealed for backups if any go bad.

#30 Posted by BarbaricAvatar (982 posts) -

Too many exploits!

So what if you could only have ONE console with NO internet connection or modchips or hardware revisions?

My answer doesn't change.

#31 Posted by Dudersaper (32951 posts) -
I would have a stack of 10 sealed for backups if any go bad.NinjaLegacy
But that would mean you have money and room. You can't have money and room for more than one console in this thread!
#32 Posted by Megavideogamer (6341 posts) -

The Playstation 2 is the best choice for the amount of games.

#33 Posted by NiKva (8181 posts) -

soft modded my wii too play and endless amount of roms and it also plays gamecube and wii games, i play alot of supersmashbros melee with my cousins so i would need access to that

luckykoopsie
If we're going to get into hacks, then its obviously PSP > Wii. All the same emulation, but with better games on the PSP.
#34 Posted by gregbmil (2701 posts) -

Does my Retro Duo count:P If not, probably my PS2

#35 Posted by PetJel (3725 posts) -

PS2 definately =)

#36 Posted by strategyfn (415 posts) -

Sega Saturn, or SNES.

For myself I'd pick a Sega Saturn because it's more powerful than a SNES. And I'm still itching to play PTO II, Virtua Fighter, Die Hard Trilogy, Romance of the Three Kingdoms (part whatever), and Iron Storm on Sega Saturn. It would depend on if I could find a Japanese game convertor for the Sega Saturn and it also depends on what system I could find the most quality games I'm looking for. I forget if PTO II needed a Japanese game convertor; that would be a deciding factor for me.

#37 Posted by travisstaggs (10562 posts) -

GreySeal9
This. The Ps2 is still my favorite console of all time.
#38 Posted by Uloset (178 posts) -

I'll have to go with the PS2 so many gems. Man, I really loved last gen.

#39 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (22070 posts) -

PS2 since I already have one stored in one of the desk drawers. I was playing FIFA on it until last spring.

#40 Posted by da_chub (3140 posts) -
N64. 4 person Smash Bros, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, etc... not to mention Mario, Zelda are some of the best games ever. Still gets used by my 11 year old son.
#41 Posted by edgewalker16 (2286 posts) -

As much as I love the SNES, it's still going to be the PS2 for the same reason many others have already stated...no other system even scratches the surface of the number of games and different types of games you can play. Backwards compatibility included.

#42 Posted by logicalfrank (1686 posts) -

Gotta go w/ Game Boy Advance. Fors starters, GBA just has a lot of great original titles. On top of that, you got backward compatability w/ GB/GBC and then you have some really great SNES re-releases. Also, it's good and small and you sometimes gotta blow on the games to get them to work, which is how it should be. Wiping off a dirty disc just doesn't do it for me.

#43 Posted by Emerald_Warrior (6581 posts) -

Gotta go w/ Game Boy Advance. Fors starters, GBA just has a lot of great original titles. On top of that, you got backward compatability w/ GB/GBC and then you have some really great SNES re-releases. Also, it's good and small and you sometimes gotta blow on the games to get them to work, which is how it should be. Wiping off a dirty disc just doesn't do it for me.

logicalfrank

You make very good points for the GBA. It is my favorite handheld of all-time, as well.

But I'd MUCH rather play full console release games than being stuck to only handheld games.

#44 Posted by KBFloYd (18441 posts) -

nes or n64...not sure

#45 Posted by Fezzinator101 (195 posts) -

PS2.

#46 Posted by TheSacredFlame (324 posts) -

For legacy console, I would have the PS2. Because of the sheer amount of games in its library and it's also backwards compatible with all PS1 (PSX?) titles.

For legacy handheld, I would choose the Nintendo DS (Original or Lite). I have a large library of titles to choose from and it's backwards compatible with all Gameboy Advance titles.

If I had to choose one it would be the NDS.

#47 Posted by luckykoopsie (345 posts) -
[QUOTE="luckykoopsie"]

NiKva
If we're going to get into hacks, then its obviously PSP > Wii. All the same emulation, but with better games on the PSP.

bro the psp is utter garbage. i owned one for a day and brought it back to walmart unsatisfied
#48 Posted by Emerald_Warrior (6581 posts) -

[QUOTE="NiKva"][QUOTE="luckykoopsie"]

luckykoopsie

bro the psp is utter garbage. i owned one for a day and brought it back to walmart unsatisfied

So you're saying you owned it for only day, and hastily decided it sucked before even coming close to sampling any portion of the library.

#49 Posted by NamelessPlayer (7729 posts) -
Tough call between the SNES, N64, and Saturn. Out of those, I'll probably go with the Saturn since a lot of the SNES and N64 games I like have had re-releases on newer platforms (particularly handhelds), while the Saturn hasn't been as fortunate. ...Oh crap! I forgot the original Xbox was a legacy console too, and being without that means no Steel Battalion for me. This really isn't an easy decision to make... The reason I won't say PS2 or GameCube is simple: backwards-compatible PS3 and Wii models.
#50 Posted by WiiCubeM1 (4735 posts) -

N64