If I was only ever going to buy one Burnout game, and never play another...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

homegirl2180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 homegirl2180
Member since 2004 • 7161 Posts

What should it be? Please don't preach to me that I should get them all. Just tell me which is the absolute best one for a person who will only ever play one of the games. I'm leaning towards Paradise, if not Burnout 3. Thank you for the responses.

EDIT: Decided to go with Burnout 3. Thanks guys!

Lulekani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Lulekani
Member since 2012 • 2318 Posts
You're limiting your options to the Burnout Universe ? Why ?
homegirl2180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 homegirl2180
You're limiting your options to the Burnout Universe ? Why ?Lulekani
Because I specifically want a game from the franchise. PGR or others are games I may decide to get at some point, but I specifically want "the best" game from the Burnout franchise.
lozengez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 lozengez
Member since 2011 • 490 Posts

I'll go along with the spirit of the question and say 3.

Lulekani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Lulekani
[QUOTE="Lulekani"]You're limiting your options to the Burnout Universe ? Why ?homegirl2180
Because I specifically want a game from the franchise. PGR or others are games I may decide to get at some point, but I specifically want "the best" game from the Burnout franchise.

Hmmmmm, Go with Paradise. Autolog is awesome.
Lulekani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Lulekani
[QUOTE="Lulekani"]You're limiting your options to the Burnout Universe ? Why ?homegirl2180

Hmmmmm, Go with Paradise. Autolog is awesome.
c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#7 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

This should go in the recommendation thread, but... what the hell.

Go with Burnout 3: Takedown. It's easily the height of the series. Holds up incredibly well. Paradise's open world was cool, but doesn't even begin to compare to Takedown's excellence and brilliance. Takedowns are the best thing to happen to the series. Crash mode is great, too -- practically its own game. It's Burnout and its purest and finest.

homegirl2180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 homegirl2180

Go with Burnout 3: Takedown. It's easily the height of the series. Holds up incredibly well. Paradise's open world was cool, but doesn't even begin to compare to Takedown's excellence and brilliance. Takedowns are the best thing to happen to the series. Crash mode is great, too -- practically its own game. It's Burnout and its purest and finest.

c_rake
D'oh.
Hmmmmm, Go with Paradise. Autolog is awesome.Lulekani
Wait, Autolog? I suppose I should mention that I am one of the like 50 owners of Need for Speed: Most Wanted U. I know it's made by the same developer, but I thought Paradise was still supposed to feel significantly more Burnout-like than NFS:MWU. Is it perhaps something in between Takedown and MWU? Does me owning MWU make it even more logical for me to get Takedown over Paradise? I'll only need a few more opinions before this thread can fade into obscurity c_rake. :)
The_Stand_In

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 The_Stand_In
Member since 2010 • 1179 Posts

Burnout 3 Takedown is easily the best in the series. Paradise is a great game too, but it lacks the same "thrills" or impact that Takedown provides.

edit: To elaborate further, Takedown's closed maps provide a more focused and exciting experience. In Paradise I found myself always looking at the map to figure out where to go rather than just focus on pure racing/takedowns.

Lulekani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Lulekani
[QUOTE="c_rake"]

homegirl2180
D'oh.
Hmmmmm, Go with Paradise. Autolog is awesome.Lulekani
Wait, Autolog? I suppose I should mention that I am one of the like 50 owners of Need for Speed: Most Wanted U. I know it's made by the same developer, but I thought Paradise was still supposed to feel significantly more Burnout-like than NFS:MWU. Is it perhaps something in between Takedown and MWU? Does me owning MWU make it even more logical for me to get Takedown over Paradise? I'll only need a few more opinions before this thread can fade into obscurity c_rake. :)

They were all made by Criterion Games and yeah, Paradise does hold some sort of middle ground between Most Wanted and Takedown, but I never liked Most Wanted so maybe c_Rake is right, go with Takedown.
c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#11 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

Wait, Autolog? I suppose I should mention that I am one of the like 50 owners of Need for Speed: Most Wanted U. I know it's made by the same developer, but I thought Paradise was still supposed to feel significantly more Burnout-like than NFS:MWU. Is it perhaps something in between Takedown and MWU? Does me owning MWU make it even more logical for me to get Takedown over Paradise? I'll only need a few more opinions before this thread can fade into obscurity c_rake. :)homegirl2180

The autolog pre-dates Burnout. Some of its ideas started there, of course, but it doesn't actually exist in any form there.

Paradise is basically Burnout in an open world. I belive Criterion's Need for Speed entries were inspired by what they achieved with Burnout Paradise, so if more of that but with a Burnout twist sounds good to you, then it's woth going for. Takedown's better, but Paradise is a great game in its own right.

SupremeAC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 SupremeAC
Member since 2003 • 7561 Posts

I say go with Burnout 2, but it seems I'm alone in my opinion.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

I've played Paradise, Revenge and Takedown, and my favorite by a landslide is Burnout 3: Takedown. Actually it's the only one i've stuck with, everything in the game clicks flawlessly and the sense of speed is extraordinary. Also, the amount of content in this game is staggering, i've easily put in months of my time and still haven't unlocked everything.

MonoSilver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MonoSilver
Member since 2013 • 1392 Posts
I enjoyed the open world of Paradise but Burnout 3 is an insanely fun game. So go with that one. :)
UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#15 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

Burnout 3: Takedown, not even a contest. Criterion peaked with that game, everything they made since exposed them as worthless hacks.

MonoSilver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MonoSilver

Burnout 3: Takedown, not even a contest. Criterion peaked with that game, everything they made since exposed them as worthless hacks.

UpInFlames
I think that's a bit extreme.
gpuFX16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 gpuFX16
Member since 2006 • 1296 Posts

c_rake

The right answer. Takedown was near-flawless and still plays very vey well. Even after some years, it's still one of the fastest racing games out there. 200 mph w/boost on in Burnout 3 *feels* like 200mph. One of my favorite games period, not just racing. 

homegirl2180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 homegirl2180
Alright, thanks guys. I'll go with Burnout 3. :)
Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#19 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14420 Posts

Burnout 3 is a masterpiece. Get that.

Kingolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Kingolden
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

Takedown Or Revenge. Don't even bother with Paradise, It is horrible.

MonoSilver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 MonoSilver

Takedown Or Revenge. Don't even bother with Paradise, It is horrible.

Kingolden
No it just isn't.
JimmiCottam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 JimmiCottam
Member since 2012 • 105 Posts
Takedown. Countless hours were spent smashing through it