If I preorder a game, how long do i have before i can pick it up?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

A-l-g-r-e-n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#1 A-l-g-r-e-n
Member since 2007 • 649 Posts

can anyone tell me if there's like an expiration date or something? Like, if I preorder BF3 today but can only pick it up on january, will I still have all the bonuses?

A-l-g-r-e-n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 A-l-g-r-e-n
Oh cmon. This is a very simple question :/
Legendaryscmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Legendaryscmt
Member since 2005 • 12532 Posts

The best answer is to ask the place itself. but for that example of your's, I highly doubt a store would hold a single pre-order for that long. I know that for Gamestop (last time I checked), you have 48 hours before your pre-order is put back into their regular stock. Other places may vary.

A-l-g-r-e-n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 A-l-g-r-e-n

The best answer is to ask the place itself. but for that example of your's, I highly doubt a store would hold a single pre-order for that long. I know that for Gamestop (last time I checked), you have 48 hours before your pre-order is put back into their regular stock. Other places may vary.

Legendaryscmt
So it's like wasting the 60 bucks? They dont give it back to you?
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#5 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
I'm not trying to be a jerk... but you picking it up in January basically makes it a non-pre-order. :P I am 100% sure no store holds a pre-order that long.
A-l-g-r-e-n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 A-l-g-r-e-n
I'm not trying to be a jerk... but you picking it up in January basically makes it a non-pre-order. :P I am 100% sure no store holds a pre-order that long. Elann2008
I live in another country, so I dunno how long before I can get it... But I really wanted the pre-order bonus. It's 4 huge maps.
Legendaryscmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Legendaryscmt
Member since 2005 • 12532 Posts

[QUOTE="Legendaryscmt"]

A-l-g-r-e-n

So it's like wasting the 60 bucks? They dont give it back to you?

With the amount of time you're talking about between pre-ording it and picking it up, I would highly doubt they'd even keep it in the system. You'd really have to call the place to find out.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
Pre-order it online...they'll send you the code for the extras
Calvin079

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 Calvin079
Member since 2008 • 16406 Posts

can anyone tell me if there's like an expiration date or something? Like, if I preorder BF3 today but can only pick it up on january, will I still have all the bonuses?

A-l-g-r-e-n

Doubtful. Most stores only hold a preorder 24-48hrs after the release date before nullifying your pre-order and making it available for general sale.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
Each store has their own time limit, some might have a week, others might have a month or even 24 hour limit.
CrimsonpugTwo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 CrimsonpugTwo
Member since 2004 • 2220 Posts

If you pre-order a game at Gamestop they will only hold your initial copy for 48 hours. HOWEVER. If you do go in 6 months later to pick up the game, and they DO have a copy in, you will get the game. That initial 48 hour thing is mainly for games that have limited copies initially released or for extremely popular games that sell out for the first week before the next shipment comes in.

If you go into the store six months later and no longer want the game - they will refund your money to you. They do not keep your money just because you didn't make it within that initial 48 hours.

Honestly though - if you are reserving a game and don't think you'll be around to get it for a long time after release you might as well not even reserve it. Reserving games is mainly only done because of those rare instances when the game is so popular it sells out in most locations in the first week. Its basically a guarantee that you will have a copy available when no one else will. If you can't get the game even a week later, don't even bother reserving it because by that time the game will be most everywhere with plenty of copies.

A-l-g-r-e-n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 A-l-g-r-e-n

If you pre-order a game at Gamestop they will only hold your initial copy for 48 hours. HOWEVER. If you do go in 6 months later to pick up the game, and they DO have a copy in, you will get the game. That initial 48 hour thing is mainly for games that have limited copies initially released or for extremely popular games that sell out for the first week before the next shipment comes in.

If you go into the store six months later and no longer want the game - they will refund your money to you. They do not keep your money just because you didn't make it within that initial 48 hours.

Honestly though - if you are reserving a game and don't think you'll be around to get it for a long time after release you might as well not even reserve it. Reserving games is mainly only done because of those rare instances when the game is so popular it sells out in most locations in the first week. Its basically a guarantee that you will have a copy available when no one else will. If you can't get the game even a week later, don't even bother reserving it because by that time the game will be most everywhere with plenty of copies.

CrimsonpugTwo
But sometimes the only way to get a specific type of game is by reserving it, like the BF3 limited edition, which has 4 awesome BF2 maps :(
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#13 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
[QUOTE="A-l-g-r-e-n"] So it's like wasting the 60 bucks? They dont give it back to you?

1. You aren't required to put the full amount down up front. 2. Once they return the game to stock, that amount you put down remains as store credit. Most places hold a pre-order for 48 hours. Best to phone and ask them rather than us.