If I don't like puzzles will I like Beyond good and evil?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for FreshWhiteBread
FreshWhiteBread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 FreshWhiteBread
Member since 2009 • 383 Posts

I like sci-fi and games that have an epic feel to them. From what Iv'e seen the game seems a little cartoony to me. This is a big turn off for me. Is the game get silly or does it take itself seriously.

Iv'e played the jak and daxter trilogy many years ago and really enjoyed that hoping this is somewhat similar.

How hard are the puzzles and are they very well incorperated into the game? Do the puzzles suck you into the atmosphere of the game so you don't even really notice that your doing one? (like god of war)

Second_Rook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 Second_Rook
Member since 2007 • 3680 Posts
They aren't hard at all. I don't know that I would even really call them puzzles. I think the best way to answer your ? would be to say if you don't like Zelda you won't like BG&E.
SagaRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 SagaRain
Member since 2009 • 602 Posts

They aren't thinking thinking puzzles, you will like it.

MaryAnnBugg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 MaryAnnBugg
Member since 2006 • 186 Posts
It's not a hard game by any stretch of the imagination. (it's an overrated game though. Seriously, I'm shocked at the praise this title gets. What is so great about it? Sure it's enjoyable to play, but nothing beyond that)
muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#5 muthsera666
Member since 2005 • 13271 Posts
It's not a hard game by any stretch of the imagination. (it's an overrated game though. Seriously, I'm shocked at the praise this title gets. What is so great about it? Sure it's enjoyable to play, but nothing beyond that)MaryAnnBugg
I agree with the first part, but not the second. There isn't really any part that's incredibly difficult. I wouldn't call them puzzles, moreso overcoming environmental obstacles. And I would strongly recommend the game. I thought it was a solid title, and I had a lot of fun with it. The graphics are stylized, but the game is nowhere near 'cartoony' in either graphics, content or story.
wackoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 wackoss
Member since 2004 • 702 Posts
From what Iv'e seen the game seems a little cartoony to me. This is a big turn off for me. Is the game get silly or does it take itself seriously. Iv'e played the jak and daxter trilogy many years ago and really enjoyed that hoping this is somewhat similar. you know you contradicted yourself there. Jak is pretty cartoony but you really enjoyed. Even though I haven't played it yet, BG&E should be similar to jak if not more serious.
futs22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 futs22
Member since 2005 • 1452 Posts
I for one really avoid cartoony-kiddie-friendly games, but for some reason, I gave BG&E a chance and enjoyed it immensely. The story really drew me in. The gameplay mechanics were pretty standard fare but everything else like the sounds, music, voice acting and the story were really made with high-production values. I'm still eagerly awaiting the sequel since the first game ends by showing you something that obviously screams "SEQUEL"!
ston3henge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ston3henge
Member since 2007 • 2732 Posts

I for one really avoid cartoony-kiddie-friendly games, but for some reason, I gave BG&E a chance and enjoyed it immensely. The story really drew me in. The gameplay mechanics were pretty standard fare but everything else like the sounds, music, voice acting and the story were really made with high-production values. I'm still eagerly awaiting the sequel since the first game ends by showing you something that obviously screams "SEQUEL"!futs22

Absolutely one of the top five games of my LIFE... I agree with the above 100%!!! The "cartoony" nature of the game will be quickly left behind as you fall in love with the characters and the story... I still turn on my game and go sit in the bar to listen to that song play! The puzzles are centered around lever-flipping to open passages and some minor side games like Three-Card Monty (or "Find the Queen" where you follow the card in a shuffle and you just need to keep your eye on it). Mostly it's a lot like other 3D platform/ adventure games but with a lot more to draw you into the plot. To me, the game is gorgeous to look at, too. The enemies and bosses are so psychedelicly well-done...

Personally, it was and still is one of the high watermark games of the last console series and one of the reasons I will make sure to always have a functioning PS2.

pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#9 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts

I plan on getting that game for my GC because of all the praise it gets. I must check it out!

flipin_jackass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 flipin_jackass
Member since 2004 • 9772 Posts
Even if you don't like puzzles you'll like this game. It's fun not complex with the length just right. I can't wait for the sequel!
wwefanforlife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 120

#11 wwefanforlife
Member since 2006 • 3248 Posts

I'm not much of a puzzle fan and the stuff in Beyond Good and Evil isn't that hard it's a good game I was surpised how much I enjoyed it's the best game Ubisoft has made I think. I'll be getting Beyond Good and Evil 2 as soon as it comes out.

Avatar image for FreshWhiteBread
FreshWhiteBread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 FreshWhiteBread
Member since 2009 • 383 Posts
Thanks everyone for posting especially futs22 and ston3henge, you sold me on it. Also I mentioned the Jak games to show a game that has a some what childish style that I did enjoy. I was purposefully contradicting myself to show that I don't completely out rule playing those type of games.
ston3henge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ston3henge

Thanks everyone for posting especially futs22 and ston3henge, you sold me on it. Also I mentioned the Jak games to show a game that has a some what childish style that I did enjoy. I was purposefully contradicting myself to show that I don't completely out rule playing those type of games.FreshWhiteBread

No worries... I think you'll find that "Beyond Good & Evil" is a LOT more non-kiddie than Jak games were. It's so good, I might even pop it in the machine tonight now, been on my mind! You gotta love a game that has a pig with fart-powered rocket boots!!! Hey - I said it was non-kiddie, I never said it was mature!

:D

But the story and the characters are so well done, can't wait for the sequel... and i would agree that it's gotta be one of the best titles ever to come from the UbiSoft Studios!

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#14 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts
It's not a hard game by any stretch of the imagination. (it's an overrated game though. Seriously, I'm shocked at the praise this title gets. What is so great about it? Sure it's enjoyable to play, but nothing beyond that)MaryAnnBugg
It had a really great plot imo, which makes the game shine for me. and to the TC, the puzzles are light, they dont do your head in as the puzzles mostly come across as tacit understanding.
ston3henge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ston3henge

And as if on cue, they announce today that BG&E2 will be delayed... :cry: THAT would make me invest in the next-gen systems, that game will be the "must-have" app I've been waiting for... guess i can save my money (or blow it on Legacy titles!!!)