If games are still being made for the Playstation 2...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SonicSpeed360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 0

#1 SonicSpeed360
Member since 2010 • 272 Posts

...then why is it considered a legacy platform?

CDuG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 CDuG
Member since 2009 • 1946 Posts

Because it's last-gen and most 'new' games are either shoddy ports or just bad games unfortunately. Maybe there are a few that are alright, but mostly it's bargain bin stuff to keep the market alive for it. I still love my ps2 like no other. But it's old hat.

TheTrueMagusX1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 TheTrueMagusX1
Member since 2009 • 2560 Posts

Because it's last-gen and most 'new' games are either shoddy ports or just bad games unfortunately. Maybe there are a few that are alright, but mostly it's bargain bin stuff to keep the market alive for it. I still love my ps2 like no other. But it's old hat.

CDuG

Yep thats just how it goes. This is true for any excellent console that has lived out its full life. At the end it gets as you said shoddy ports or just bad games...and it just simply dies down.

SonicSpeed360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SonicSpeed360

[QUOTE="CDuG"]

TheTrueMagusX1

Yep thats just how it goes. This is true for any excellent console that has lived out its full life. At the end it gets as you said shoddy ports or just bad games...and it just simply dies down.

Yeah...but there are some ports that are done right. Toy Story 3 is a PSP port, and I saw that and it looked very nice. But when you look at others, like Spider-Man 3...not so much.

TheTrueMagusX1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 TheTrueMagusX1

[QUOTE="TheTrueMagusX1"]

[QUOTE="CDuG"]

SonicSpeed360

Yeah...but there are some ports that are done right. Toy Story 3 is a PSP port, and I saw that and it looked very nice. But when you look at others, like Spider-Man 3...not so much.

I would not know anything about Toy Story 3, however yeah alot of the ports are mostly poorly done. It also does not help that there are just less and less ports coming out for the console in the first place.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

Because it's a "dead" console just that they still sell it.

JopaGeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 JopaGeri
Member since 2004 • 538 Posts

The console might be "dead" as far as new content is concerned. But the console itself is still
very much alive. As all you should know its the best selling console of all time 147 million sold
or something like that. I believe that the PS2 thread should not have been taken down on this
website there are still a lot of people playing this system and want to talk about it.
Whose with me!? *raises fist*

M3tr4nk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 163

#8 M3tr4nk0
Member since 2008 • 889 Posts

nameless12345

The PS2 isn't dead quite yet. It's still being produced and supported, and there's still a handful of games being released for it.

It's just considered legacy because it's not current-gen anymore.

TheTrueMagusX1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TheTrueMagusX1

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

M3tr4nk0

The PS2 isn't dead quite yet. It's still being produced and supported, and there's still a handful of games being released for it.

Yep I think its safe to say the PS2 is dying or its on its deathbed if you prefer a metaphor, but yeah its not dead, just dying at the moment.

TerragonSix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 TerragonSix
Member since 2010 • 390 Posts

I disagree with the whole adage, "At the end of a console's life, all that is made is crappy games."

To my knowledge, for the SNES, games like "Super Mario RPG", "Chrono Trigger" and "Earthbound" came near the end of the lifespan.

Even the PS2 had a port of NCAA Football 11.

lazyhoboguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11 lazyhoboguy
Member since 2007 • 1692 Posts

This type of thread pops up once every month or so. I objected at first whent the ps2 forum went down, but by now I think that decision is fine. The ps2 is on its last legs game release wise. It still has section at the top of the site though.

TheTrueMagusX1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 TheTrueMagusX1

I disagree with the whole adage, "At the end of a console's life, all that is made is crappy games."

To my knowledge, for the SNES, games like "Super Mario RPG", "Chrono Trigger" and "Earthbound" came near the end of the lifespan.

Even the PS2 had a port of NCAA Football 11.

TerragonSix

Well the games you mentioned were in its twilight years but not at the tail end of its life. I consider the end of the SNES to be 1997/1998 around that time frame...I do believe they were making games for the SNES in 1998 so that to me is when the games were crap for the most part.

BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#13 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

Because there's really nothng new comming out for it.

Yes it might get the occasional sports title or a crappy port of something, but when was the last game any one actually anticipated for it?

savebattery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 savebattery
Member since 2009 • 3626 Posts
PS2 games released in 2010: FIFA 11 The King of Fighters 2002 Unlimited Match Tougeki Ver. (Japan only) The Lord of the Rings: Aragorn's Quest Madden NFL 11 Major League Baseball 2K10 MLB 10: The Show NBA 2K11 NCAA Football 11 Pro Evolution Soccer 2011 Syphon Filter: Logan's Shadow Tiger Woods PGA Tour 11 Toy Story 3 WWE Smackdown vs RAW 2011 That's why. Ports, licensed games, and sports games. 2009's selection was a bit more diverse, but PS2 hasn't had an exclusive released in the US since 2008.
travisstaggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15 travisstaggs
Member since 2008 • 10562 Posts
[QUOTE="savebattery"]PS2 games released in 2010: FIFA 11 The King of Fighters 2002 Unlimited Match Tougeki Ver. (Japan only) The Lord of the Rings: Aragorn's Quest Madden NFL 11 Major League Baseball 2K10 MLB 10: The Show NBA 2K11 NCAA Football 11 Pro Evolution Soccer 2011 Syphon Filter: Logan's Shadow Tiger Woods PGA Tour 11 Toy Story 3 WWE Smackdown vs RAW 2011 That's why. Ports, licensed games, and sports games. 2009's selection was a bit more diverse, but PS2 hasn't had an exclusive released in the US since 2008.

Add Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love to that list and that's pretty much it that came out this year for it.
SonicSpeed360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SonicSpeed360

[QUOTE="M3tr4nk0"]

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

TheTrueMagusX1

Yep I think its safe to say the PS2 is dying or its on its deathbed if you prefer a metaphor, but yeah its not dead, just dying at the moment.

Well, it'll die when Sony drops support for it altogether.

TheTrueMagusX1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 TheTrueMagusX1

[QUOTE="TheTrueMagusX1"]

[QUOTE="M3tr4nk0"]

SonicSpeed360

Not sure when that will be. It sure has had a long life span considering its been ten years, but yeah, Sony seems somewhat adamant in supporting the PS2 none the less. It seems to be making them some what of a profit....

Well, it'll die when Sony drops support for it altogether.

_Doomsayer_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 _Doomsayer_
Member since 2008 • 18616 Posts

The console might be "dead" as far as new content is concerned. But the console itself is still
very much alive. As all you should know its the best selling console of all time 147 million sold
or something like that. I believe that the PS2 thread should not have been taken down on this
website there are still a lot of people playing this system and want to talk about it.
Whose with me!? *raises fist*

JopaGeri

I was disappointed to see the PS2 board go down as well. I still play it just as much as my new consoles. :(

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#19 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

PS2 is on life-support. Not quite dead, but just about there. But it had one helluva impressive run, didn't it? 2000-2010 is a great run. I think only Neo Geo beats that with a lifespan from 1990-2004. But even then, it's not like Neo Geo has enjoyed the same success as PS2 has. A lot of great stuff was released for PS2 and it's sales numbers back that up.

kingdavid562

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#20 kingdavid562
Member since 2010 • 1173 Posts
i don't consider the ps2 dead yet..but i do think it should be in legacy platforms though.. the ps2 is dying.. they went down to $50 used at gamestop the last time i went..AND it was the slim!!
KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

because its last gen.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#22 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

there is still some good ports such as wwe ,

heck sony may suprise ps2 owners with one last big game before actually droping it like they did for ps1

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#23 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts

heck sony may suprise ps2 owners with one last big game before actually droping it like they did for ps1

mariokart64fan
there was a big game before the PS1 was discontinued?
Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#24 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

[QUOTE="mariokart64fan"]

Darkman2007

Spider-Man 2: Enter Electro was pretty fun and was released in late 2001. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 was released late 2001, and still holds up well today. WWF Smackdown 2: Know Your Role was a great wrestling game, released in late 2000. But even though they're good, sayng they were a "big game" is kinda iffy.

M3tr4nk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 163

#25 M3tr4nk0
Member since 2008 • 889 Posts

heck sony may suprise ps2 owners with one last big game before actually droping it like they did for ps1mariokart64fan

I don't think Sony will bother releasing or publishing any more PS2 games.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#26 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"][QUOTE="mariokart64fan"]

Emerald_Warrior

Spider-Man 2: Enter Electro was pretty fun and was released in late 2001. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 was released late 2001, and still holds up well today. WWF Smackdown 2: Know Your Role was a great wrestling game, released in late 2000. But even though they're good, sayng they were a "big game" is kinda iffy.

by discontinued I mean like 2004, since the PS1 was still around then. obviously there were still games being made in 2001 for it