I was wrong about Skyrim

• 98 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
#51 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (12927 posts) -

@ariabed said:

@Jacanuk: what makes fallout3 and NV far superior to skyrim? It's basically the same model just different setting IMO

Choices matter in New Vegas. That's a big deal in an RPG.

Writing in New Vegas is vastly superior to F3 and Skyrim

Both Fallout games have characters that are much more interesting.

#52 Edited by Al-Manyouk (99 posts) -

@speedfreak48t5p said:

@ariabed said:

@Jacanuk: what makes fallout3 and NV far superior to skyrim? It's basically the same model just different setting IMO

Choices matter in Fallout 3. That's a big deal in an RPG.

Writing in Fallout 3 and Skyrim is vastly superior to New Vegas

Fallout 3 has characters that are much more interesting.

There, fixed it.

#53 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (12927 posts) -

@Al-Manyouk said:

@speedfreak48t5p said:

@ariabed said:

There, fixed it.

New Vegas >> Fallout 3

#54 Edited by Al-Manyouk (99 posts) -

@speedfreak48t5p said:

@Al-Manyouk said:

@speedfreak48t5p said:

@ariabed said:

There, fixed it.

Fallout 3 >> New Vegas

Sorry, fixed it again.

You're making too many typos.

#55 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (12927 posts) -

@Al-Manyouk said:

@speedfreak48t5p said:

@Al-Manyouk said:

@speedfreak48t5p said:

@ariabed said:

There, fixed it.

Fallout New Vegas >> Fallout 3

Sorry, fixed it again.

You're making too many typos.

No, my comment was fine. But I noticed when you made your post afterwards, you accidentally edited my comment.

No harm done though.

#56 Posted by jsmoke03 (13697 posts) -

@Al-Manyouk said:

There are 3 types of people that dislike Skyrim:

1- People who played Morrowind when it came out and made up their mind that any Elder Scrolls that isn't a carbon copy of it sucks.

2- Thirteen year olds that play Dark Souls and think it makes them hardcore and manly whereas "lolol Skyrim is for casuals, all the cool kids play Dark Souls!"

3- Man-childs/basement dwellers that believe any game made by Obsidian, even a horrid turd of a game (and most of them are), is a masterpiece of RPG and anything Bethesda makes "sucks and has no depth" without providing any arguments as to why.

Everyone else loves it, provided they actually played it.

there are a lot more than 3 reasons. i can name a couple more

• people that dont like western rpg
  • those that dont like rpgs period
  • those who like more narrative driven games. its hard to be engaged with skyrims story. gta does a much better job with the narrative because quests dont open up like in rpgs. i am 50 hours in to skyrim but i havent gone to winterhold to the magic school so despite the time i put in, i havent scratched the surface of the game
  • those that like linear games
  • dude bros lol

i think skyrim is an okay game but i dont like the leveling system or the way that the narrative gets victimized because the game is sooo vast

#57 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (19564 posts) -

@ jsmoke03

I'm in the 2nd Category. Ironically I do like the idea of Role Playing, I just don't like the Execution. Which is weird because Skyrim seemed so Promising 1st time I heard about it.

#58 Posted by PS4hasNOgames (2620 posts) -

@thereal25: I have had that kind of experience with many games, and when I give them a second chance they turn out to be some of my favorite games ever.

#59 Posted by HipHopBeats (2850 posts) -

Cool thread but Skyrim is pretty dope now that it's playable. Makes me almost want to give Dragon Age Origins another shot. Too bad I got rid of it. Maybe sometime in the distant future, I'll give it another shot if I can ever get past the dreadful tactics combat crap.

#60 Posted by HipHopBeats (2850 posts) -

@Al-Manyouk said:

@speedfreak48t5p said:

@ariabed said:

There, fixed it.

I agree. New Vegas is one of the most linear, open world games I've ever played. The characters are pretty cool but everything else pretty boring to boot. It's dull, bland desert setting is making it a chore for me to maintain interest. Technically New Vegas is the better game, but better doesn't necessarily equate to more fun. Fallout 3 was a blast and way more interesting than Skyrim imo.

#61 Posted by Jacanuk (13199 posts) -

@ariabed said:

The writing, the characters, the story, the clear goal the devs had and wanted you to experience.

Skyrim felt like it wanted to be a mmo but ended up as a single player without a red thread through the game or even trying to add some multiplayer elements. And dont worry i bought the game on release like i did with Fallout 3 and NV so i did play them all.

#62 Posted by Jacanuk (13199 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@ Ariabed

I've asked that same question many times..... I'm not overly fond of the answers that follow.

To me, one is midieval and the other is post apocolyptic. Other than that, they're both dialog, fetch quest, grind and loot machine.

Its even worse with Japanese turn-based RPGs.

Sometimes i wonder when it all went downhill for you.

But from this you clearly never played any of them or even tried watching some gameplay and are talking straight out of your behind.

#63 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (19564 posts) -

@ Jacanuk

I put about an hour into both Fallout 3 and Morrowind, I stopped playing both games around same point, in fallout 3 it was when I finaly made it out of the Vault, in Morrowin it was when I finaly decided to leave town. In both scenarios the Massive enviroment just didn't sit right with me. Just felt wrong. And the combat in Both games Sucked massive Donkey Balls !

#64 Posted by thereal25 (1459 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu said:

LMAO ! Wow ! This is the 1st I've heard of something like this happening.

However I am keen on hearing why the change of heart ?

Did you discover mods or something ?

One colossal mistake I made was not to read the manual.

I had hoped that the game would either have some kind of a training setup or be rather self-explanatory (like fallout 3 or new vegas).

I remember trying to mix potions together - not realizing that I had to EAT the potions first in order to discover their possible effects. And it just felt like trial and error because it kept saying "concoction failed"!

Yep, the manual taught me a lot of things including the magic, health, and stamina systems, consequences of crime, different kinds of attacks (like power attacks and bashing) and other useful things.

So, now that I understand how the game works, its really made a huge difference...

And the funny thing is, so far I haven't felt any great need to try any mods (even though I could).

#65 Posted by thereal25 (1459 posts) -

@loafofgame said:
@Jacanuk said:

@thereal25 said:

Okay, so I recently made a thread detailing why I thought the game sucked but I just hadn't really taken the time to learn it properly and really give it a chance.

Now that I've done so, I must say it's a really good game.

Very time consuming though.

The amount of depth and content in this game is really something!!!

And you admit that you just bashed a game because you didn´t really understand it or spent time in it.

Nice.

Aaw, come on, it might be a bit questionable, but isn't it also a tiny bit admirable? It made my cold and bitter gaming heart light up a little...

Thanks loaf!

#66 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (19564 posts) -

@ thereal25

HAHA ! I had the exact same Problem with Morrowind. The game just Kicks me off the boat and leaves me in this strange place with nothing but the clothes on my back ! I walked into a house and grabbed something and was immediately beaten to death by the resident ! That was new to me ! :p

I then pressed eject and Snapped that damn Disk in half Because I was twelve years old at the time and Street Fighter was the cool game to play back then !

#67 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (19564 posts) -

I had a simular experience in Skyrim, except this time I didn't even make it off the Carriage. Too many painfull memories. ;)

#68 Edited by Ariabed (2121 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu: the thing with skyrim is that it's vast but with not much variety, I play it for a few days in a row and then I don't touch it for a month, when I do start playing again I think to myself "omg this game is amazing why haven't I played it for so long" but after a few days I remember why, it does get a little repetitive. I really enjoyed fallout3 I got the game of the year edition and played it from start to finish, I never bothered with NV I don't know why exactly, I just figured it wouldn't be much different from F3, I kinda treated it like DLC which I rarely dabble in.

#69 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (19564 posts) -

@ Ariabed

Bethesda needs to think smaller, perhaps they can leave the vast landscapes for mods to add after they have already made a great map to start with. But thats very unlikely. Meanwhile at Codemasters, all the constant complaining about the Dissapointment that was GRID 2 has finally made an impact, they're releasing the "winey bitches" edition in June, everybody is Excited :D. If only people did the same to Bethesda. Rewarding their ambition but not critising their incompetence plus the countless GOTY awards has made them extremely complacent and lazy ! I think its time for an intervention.

#70 Edited by thereal25 (1459 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu said:

I had a simular experience in Skyrim, except this time I didn't even make it off the Carriage. Too many painfull memories. ;)

lol! That's really taking it to another level! haha

But seriously though, I think Skryim is one of those games that rewards persistence.

Its definitely not one of those "speed run the main mission in 8 hours" type of game.

You have to enjoy the exploration, the trial and error, the levelling up etc.

Probably helps if you have a lot of free time though lol.

#71 Posted by thereal25 (1459 posts) -

@SovietsUnited said:

Always give games a second chance, you never know what you might like.

For example, I have just finished playing King's Field US/EU after giving it a second go; from what felt like controlling a tank went on to be a highly immersive, enthralling game with fantastic exploration and dark, ominous atmosphere

Yes, I think some games can be like this. If you really give them a chance they can be quite rewarding.

Took me awhile to get me head around Supreme Commander Forged alliance but when I did it was actually pretty awesome.

#72 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (19564 posts) -

@ thereal25

If it had Split Screen then maybe me and my friend could sink 300 hours into it together. But it doesn't.

#73 Posted by thereal25 (1459 posts) -

@Archangel3371 said:

Good to see that you're enjoying the game now. I thought it was a fantastic game and loved every minute of it. I just purchased the dlc for it recently so I'll be returning to play more of it again real soon.

Thanks. I haven't explored any of the dlc yet (as I don't wan't to get my ass kicked) but I'm looking forward to it. Dawnguard and dragonborn look good; not so sure about hearthfire tho lol.

Anyway, yes, very addictive game!

#74 Posted by Jacanuk (13199 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@ Jacanuk

I put about an hour into both Fallout 3 and Morrowind, I stopped playing both games around same point, in fallout 3 it was when I finaly made it out of the Vault, in Morrowin it was when I finaly decided to leave town. In both scenarios the Massive enviroment just didn't sit right with me. Just felt wrong. And the combat in Both games Sucked massive Donkey Balls !

Hmm, ok that might explain why you think Fallout is like Morrowind and Skyrim, because even though they have similar elements they are also very different.

Fallout 3/NV has a much clearer line through it and also the mapsize is a lot smaller than skyrim, and it seems more polished.

#75 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (19564 posts) -

@ Jacanuk

Don't they both use the S.P.E.C.I.A.L. System ?

Don't they both have god awfull tedius gameplay ?

Seemed pretty simular to me.

#76 Edited by bowchicka07 (1104 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:

@Al-Manyouk said:

There are 3 types of people that dislike Skyrim:

1- People who played Morrowind when it came out and made up their mind that any Elder Scrolls that isn't a carbon copy of it sucks.

2- Thirteen year olds that play Dark Souls and think it makes them hardcore and manly whereas "lolol Skyrim is for casuals, all the cool kids play Dark Souls!"

3- Man-childs/basement dwellers that believe any game made by Obsidian, even a horrid turd of a game (and most of them are), is a masterpiece of RPG and anything Bethesda makes "sucks and has no depth" without providing any arguments as to why.

Everyone else loves it, provided they actually played it.

What a load of bull

But you need a 4. People "dislike" Skyrim because its a poor game, and why Skyrim is so popular is because of the mods, not the base game.

And if you disagree then just ask how many people actually play unmodded Skyrim and like it.

Plenty of people liked unmodded Skyrim. I still don't see why this game got bashed so much besides a couple of bugs. It offers hours and hours of exploration and questing. Most of what you'd want in an RPG.

#77 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (19564 posts) -

@ bowchicka07

Thats not what I want in an RPG. Nor should that be what RPGs should strive for. And even if it was... Some more variety would be nice.

#78 Posted by thereal25 (1459 posts) -

@Black_Knight_00 said:

Not to criticise you or anything like that, but if you're going to make a thread about this topic you need to be more specific in the opening post. Why did you think Skyrim sucked and why have you changed your mind? That's how you get people to discuss the topic.

Okay, well first of all I failed to read the manual which was a big mistake.

So, I'll just look at it bit by bit:

music: The music kinda annoyed me a bit at first for some reason. But it's actually grown on me now. I actually find some of the tracks to be quite soothing and pleasant.

characters: I think it would be fairly fair to say that there aren't really many (if any?) interesting characters around the start of the game. But now that I've done quite a lot of exploration I've found that there are some interesting characters and furthermore it doesn't really matter anyway. Because the joy of Skyrim is mostly about levelling up your character anyway imo.

combat: Because I failed to read the manual there were a couple of pointers that would've made me like it a bit more. But now that I've figured out the magic/potion system and all that stuff I find the combat to be acceptable. And it's definitely quite challenging and tactical at times too. But when I first started playing, I was just getting wooped because I didn't really understand the game properly at that point.

story: Okay, well this is perhaps an issue that I still have - the story is pretty darn ordinary at best - at least it seems this way at this point - but again it probably doesn't matter that much because like I said - the fun is mostly in improving your character and exploring all the weird and wonderful places.

voice acting / character models: I've kind of gotten used to the voice acting now. It's not that bad. Oh, and I forgot that I could have a female character. So after making a hot female Imperial for my character, it kind of makes me feel better about the game.

So yeah, I suppose some of my earlier comments were said out of frustration to some extent.

And another thing I might say is that the start/introduction really is pretty ordinary and not at all a good indication of what is to follow in the game.

But then again, maybe that's not such a bad thing because at least it paved the way for a nice pleasant surprise! :)

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
#79 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (21116 posts) -

@thereal25: Most of them are pretty good complaints: the story is indeed trite and boring (chosen one vs dragons... damn. Also, "Galdalf? **** that, let's have a whole bunch of Gandalfs"). The civil war is a waste of space, it does nothing, it's just a series of identical fort attack missions and it does not impact the world in any way.

The guilds are a joke, there is no pacing or sense of achievement: you walk through the door as a mistrusted stranger on Monday and leave as the head of the guild on Thursday.

Combat is good, but it annoys me to an extent: by introducing the dual wield mechanic they pretty much killed two handed weapons and blocking.

Characters... there are none: no one really stands out as memorable, which has been a staple of open world RPGs so far. Hopefully that's bound to change.

With all that, I love the game, I bought it twice and I will once again put 200 hours into it soon.

#80 Posted by kingcrimson24 (824 posts) -

I have this game for almost 3 years , and i still find new things in it .

#81 Posted by thereal25 (1459 posts) -

@Black_Knight_00 said:

@thereal25: Most of them are pretty good complaints: the story is indeed trite and boring (chosen one vs dragons... damn. Also, "Galdalf? **** that, let's have a whole bunch of Gandalfs"). The civil war is a waste of space, it does nothing, it's just a series of identical fort attack missions and it does not impact the world in any way.

The guilds are a joke, there is no pacing or sense of achievement: you walk through the door as a mistrusted stranger on Monday and leave as the head of the guild on Thursday.

Combat is good, but it annoys me to an extent: by introducing the dual wield mechanic they pretty much killed two handed weapons and blocking.

Characters... there are none: no one really stands out as memorable, which has been a staple of open world RPGs so far. Hopefully that's bound to change.

With all that, I love the game, I bought it twice and I will once again put 200 hours into it soon.

Good to hear. Your reaction to the game seems pretty similar to mine.

#82 Edited by GeorgeOglee (44 posts) -

glad ya like it! certainly one of my favourite games of all time, the depth of it all and the amount of stuff there is to just is just crazy. i've poured about 200 plus hours into it and i still feel like i've barely scratched the surface! definitely pays to give games a second chance. I didn't like Resident Evil 4 the first time i played it because if felt incredibly slow and clunky, but now it's my favourite game c:

#83 Posted by Threesixtyci (4451 posts) -

@Jacanuk:

@Jacanuk said:

@thereal25 said:

Okay, so I recently made a thread detailing why I thought the game sucked but I just hadn't really taken the time to learn it properly and really give it a chance.

First who cares? .

And you admit that you just bashed a game because you didn´t really understand it or spent time in it.

Nice.

Apparently, you cared enough to sling insults....

#84 Edited by Boddicker (4350 posts) -

@speedfreak48t5p said:

Skyrim is the size of an ocean, but the depth of a puddle.

This.

It takes about 100 hours to actually start hating it and to notice its many, many, MANY flaws, but just the fact that the exploration can keep you busy for that long is impressive.

#85 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (19564 posts) -

@ Boddicker

Indeed its Definately impressive..... But is it fun ?

#86 Posted by Jacanuk (13199 posts) -

@Threesixtyci said:

@Jacanuk:

@Jacanuk said:

@thereal25 said:

First who cares? .

Nice.

Apparently, you cared enough to sling insults....

Or could it be i responded on a public forum just because, and this might be a surprise to you, what you do on a forum.

#87 Edited by Beagle050 (737 posts) -

@speedfreak48t5p: Yup. I still really enjoyed it, though. I just RPed my own story. The plot is standard-fare and highly forgettable. The open world makes the game great.

#88 Posted by Ariabed (2121 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu: as much as I moan about how big skyrim is I've always wanted and wished for a game as big as skyrim, now I've got it I moan that it's to big, but still I don't think I would want it scaled down at all. I guess I'll be happy playing this game on and off for the rest of my life lol

#89 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (19564 posts) -

@ Ariabed

I wana try Deadly Premonition. They put schedules on NPCs, so you can't just activate a mission whenever you want to. But I think they got this concept all wrong. Instead they shouldve implimented a location based schedule system, the NPCs missions can be activated whenever you want but not wherever you want.... Perhaps the NPC will be at work instead of at home.

oblivion had a scheduled NPC system.

#90 Posted by bussinrounds (2869 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@ jsmoke03

I'm in the 2nd Category. Ironically I do like the idea of Role Playing, I just don't like the Execution. Which is weird because Skyrim seemed so Promising 1st time I heard about it.

Exactly. The premise of the games isn't bad, it's just Beth's execution that fails miserably.

#91 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (19564 posts) -

@ bussinrounds

Well.... Its more than Bethesda's incompetence that bugs me but I think this a good point to agree on so I'l the rest slide.

#92 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (9586 posts) -

I just don't like the way that the side quests have nothing at all to do with the main quest. I also don't like how none of my decisions make any difference whatsoever. Or how leveling makes the enemies stronger, so it's basically pointless. There aren't good rewards for exploring or even doing most of the side quests. I keep buying the games because Bethesda keeps getting close to actually making a good game. They just refuse to take that next step and create consequences for your actions, and the game always ends up being some lame mini-rpg collection riddled with fetch quests.

#93 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (19564 posts) -

@ PurpleMan5000

If the enemies don't scale t your level then you beat them just because you're stonger which just isn't challenging or fun..... And that sir... Is Pointless too.

But neither scenario changes the actual quality of the combat mechanics.... which suck by the way.

#94 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (9586 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@ PurpleMan5000

If the enemies don't scale t your level then you beat them just because you're stonger which just isn't challenging or fun..... And that sir... Is Pointless too.

But neither scenario changes the actual quality of the combat mechanics.... which suck by the way.

Yeah, but what that really means is that when I start the game, there are some enemies that are all but impossible to defeat until I take the time to go out and get better gear and abilities. It gives a purpose to doing the boring side quests. If the game is designed well, I will be pretty much finished with an area by the time that I get strong enough for it to not be challenging or fun.

Ideally, the dragons in Skyrim should be badass harbingers of death where the only course of action that makes sense is to run away until you get very late in the game. It doesn't work that way, though, because what if somebody wants to rush through the main story line before doing side quests? Bethesda feels the need to cater to everyone, and apparently they do a very good job of pleasing a whole lot of people. I don't like it, though. I prefer structure, and if they insist on making the game completely open-ended like they do, the least they could do is make my actions have some kind of meaningful effect on the game world.

#95 Posted by thereal25 (1459 posts) -

@ariabed said:

@Lulu_Lulu: as much as I moan about how big skyrim is I've always wanted and wished for a game as big as skyrim, now I've got it I moan that it's to big, but still I don't think I would want it scaled down at all. I guess I'll be happy playing this game on and off for the rest of my life lol

My thoughts exactly lol.

#96 Posted by thereal25 (1459 posts) -

@PurpleMan5000 said:

I just don't like the way that the side quests have nothing at all to do with the main quest. I also don't like how none of my decisions make any difference whatsoever. Or how leveling makes the enemies stronger, so it's basically pointless. There aren't good rewards for exploring or even doing most of the side quests. I keep buying the games because Bethesda keeps getting close to actually making a good game. They just refuse to take that next step and create consequences for your actions, and the game always ends up being some lame mini-rpg collection riddled with fetch quests.

Yes, that whole "scaled enemies" thing bothered me a little at first.

But after doing some research in it, it seems that it may not be quite as simple as that.

For example some enemies seem to stay pretty much the same - and I think there's also this thing that if you go into a cave at say level 3 and then run out and come back at say level 10 then all the monsters inside the cave will be levelled at level 3.

So in other words, if enemies are going to be scaled then they will be at the level that you were when you FIRST entered the area.

I suppose that encourages a lot of early exploration. :)

#97 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (19564 posts) -

@ PurpleMan5000

I'm prone to grinding hard.... I don't like leveling up but if a game features it ......I abuse it.

Also most RPGs don't tell you if you're underlevelled for a particular enemy... You find that out by getting your ass kicked 1st. And I hate trial and error design. Also its a Paradox... I can't fully accept that I've progressed if its my avatar the one whos actually making the progress while I myself play at the same level. In the beginning I couldn't beat a rock but in the end I can slay three headed demons ! But it wasn't really me who progressed, I don't have the ability to shutdown that part of my brain...

Too summarize... Level systems present too many potential issues for a viable method of representing progression in a game.

#98 Posted by The-Apostle (12195 posts) -
@Lulu_Lulu said:

LMAO ! Wow ! This is the 1st I've heard of something like this happening.

However I am keen on hearing why the change of heart ?

Did you discover mods or something ?

There's been a couple times when I didn't like a demo but then got its game for free and really enjoyed it. At least one of those times I ended up really liking the company. Yes. Give games a second chance.

#99 Posted by Cloud_imperium (14406 posts) -

That's the problem with today's gamers . Most of them complain all the time , instead of playing games . That's why you see people saying "Meh its RTS . I wish it was FPS" whenever watching some awesome trailer of games like Starcraft 2 , World in Conflict or COH etc . Just try something different for once , you'll love it . It is not going to eat you .

I'm glad that you decided to go further and loved the game . For me it started really slow but later I loved it too .