I think the best year of RPGs was last year

This topic is locked from further discussion.

faridmon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 faridmon
Member since 2004 • 2250 Posts

really, enjoyed last year simply in my whole life that was the year where every good RPG just came at the same time the year just started with 2 Wild Arms games and a Suikoden game and ended with Final Fantasy XII and Dot Hack//.G.U., even the portables got thier fare amount of RPGs like Contact, Final Fantasy VI and Final Fantasy 3.

here is the list that i remember from last year RPGs:

Wild Arms: Alter Code F

Wild Arms 4

Suikoden V

Grandia III

Steambot Chronicle

Shadow Heart: from the new world

Tales of Legendia 

Metal Saga

Xenosaga III

Tales of the Abyss

Valkariy Profile 2

Fianal Fantasy XII

Phantasy Star Univers

Baten Kaitos Origin (awsome games)

and in the Portable Department: 

Final Fantasy III

Magical Starsign

Tales of Phantasia

Valkyrie Profile PSP

Final Fantasy Vi

Contact 

and i thiink there are more.

so what do you guys: i enjoyed bit of those games (since i don't have the time and the money to buy all those)

any other thought 

inoperativeRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 inoperativeRS
Member since 2004 • 8844 Posts

Fallout.

And FF7 if that sails your boat. 

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts

Fallout.

inoperativeRS
Three cheers for good taste! *throws you a beer* Also Xenosaga....Grandia............good?........ o_0
inoperativeRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 inoperativeRS
[QUOTE="inoperativeRS"]

Fallout.

GodModeEnabled

Three cheers for good taste! *throws you a beer* Also Xenosaga....Grandia............good?........ o_0

*catches beer*

Oh man, I shouldn't be drinking at this time of day... 

*drinks*

D'oh! 

And are you telling me you don't like uber pretentious stories that never end ala Xenosaga? How COULD you?

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 GodModeEnabled
[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"][QUOTE="inoperativeRS"]

Fallout.

inoperativeRS

*catches beer*

*drinks*

D'oh! 

And are you telling me you don't like uber pretentious stories that never end ala Xenosaga? How COULD you?

Psssh its a day off for me. 8:00 am here too. Just got up. Yep. *drinks beer* Ugh Xenosaga is like some horrible mewling, clawing thing that crawled out of the discarded waste of crap ideas they DIDNT use in Xenogears. It has an ok battle system for the 45 minutes of time in the game you arent watching a cutscene about some robot chick having personailty issues. *YAWN* And the second game was so ridiculous I couldnt even finish it, because they ruined the gameplay and made it more boring storywise. Mario on the NES has more character development.
Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44139 Posts
Well I only played three of those games which were Suikoden V, Final Fantasy XII, and Xenosaga III but I really enjoyed them quite a bit. I'd really like to try out Valkyrie Profile 2 sometime. Yeah there were quite a few RPG's released last year. I'm really pumped for this year though with games like Mass Effect, Blue Dragon, Eternal Sonata, and possibly Lost Odyssey because it's the start of the next generation system's RPG games.
faridmon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 faridmon
[QUOTE="inoperativeRS"]

Fallout.

GodModeEnabled

XenoSaga III is the best in the series and Grandia III just showed that the best battle System ever created could be improved a lot.

and please do not bring FF7, it can't even reach the same level  as FF VI.

and i don't like WRPG :P 

faridmon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 faridmon
[QUOTE="inoperativeRS"][QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"][QUOTE="inoperativeRS"]

Fallout.

GodModeEnabled

*catches beer*

*drinks*

D'oh!

Psssh its a day off for me. 8:00 am here too. Just got up. Yep. *drinks beer* Ugh Xenosaga is like some horrible mewling, clawing thing that crawled out of the discarded waste of crap ideas they DIDNT use in Xenogears. It has an ok battle system for the 45 minutes of time in the game you arent watching a cutscene about some robot chick having personailty issues. *YAWN* And the second game was so ridiculous I couldnt even finish it, because they ruined the gameplay and made it more boring storywise. Mario on the NES has more character development.

blesphemy at ignorance so now Xenosag I = Xenosaga III................. o_O
inoperativeRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 inoperativeRS
[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"][QUOTE="inoperativeRS"]

Fallout.

faridmon

XenoSaga III is the best in the series and Grandia III just showed that the best battle System ever created could be improved a lot.

and please do not bring FF7, it can't even reach the same level as FF VI.

and i don't like WRPG :P

WRPG's>JRPG's!!!11

Sorry, I just had to let it out.

11Marcel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#10 11Marcel
Member since 2004 • 7241 Posts
Wasn't ES 4 oblivion last year? I'd classify that as rpg too.
inoperativeRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 inoperativeRS

Wasn't ES 4 oblivion last year? I'd classify that as rpg too. 11Marcel

I'd classify it as an open world action adventure with some rpg elements. There's really not a lot of role playing in it.

PhoenixMDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 PhoenixMDK
Member since 2005 • 3258 Posts

looking at that list I can see how you'd say it was a great year for JRPGs, but I'm not sure I'd say RPGs in general.

Just another year without anything to rival Fallout or Planescape: Torment... :P

Oblivion notwithstanding. 

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44139 Posts

Wasn't ES 4 oblivion last year? I'd classify that as rpg too. 11Marcel

Oh yeah I forgot about that one. Awesome game. In fact that's when I picked up my 360 was just after that game was released.

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 GodModeEnabled
[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"][QUOTE="inoperativeRS"][QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"][QUOTE="inoperativeRS"]

Fallout.

faridmon

*catches beer*

*drinks*

D'oh!

blesphemy at ignorance so now Xenosag I = Xenosaga III................. o_O

All I can go by is my experience with the first two games. However judging by the reviews I read and impressions from other people it wasnt any radical departure of the series or some sort of saving grace.
danmp18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 danmp18
Member since 2003 • 3561 Posts

[QUOTE="11Marcel"]Wasn't ES 4 oblivion last year? I'd classify that as rpg too. inoperativeRS

I'd classify it as an open world action adventure with some rpg elements. There's really not a lot of role playing in it.

I don't want to get into that same old discussion about what constitues a RPG, but imo Oblivion is more role-playing than anything on the OP's list.  I'd put it in the same category as Fallout or Planescape: Torment.  You have the freedom to play a role instead of seeing a story through a characters eyes.

dayaccus007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 dayaccus007
Member since 2007 • 4349 Posts
My favourite RPG is from 2001:) and its have better graphic than many more from 2007
11Marcel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 11Marcel
Member since 2004 • 7241 Posts
[QUOTE="inoperativeRS"]

[QUOTE="11Marcel"]Wasn't ES 4 oblivion last year? I'd classify that as rpg too. danmp18

I don't want to get into that same old discussion about what constitues a RPG, but imo Oblivion is more role-playing than anything on the OP's list.  I'd put it in the same category as Fallout or Planescape: Torment.  You have the freedom to play a role instead of seeing a story through a characters eyes.

QFT. At least you have full control of how you make your character. That's pure roleplaying.  
Alaris83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 Alaris83
Member since 2004 • 1620 Posts

I don't want to get into that same old discussion about what constitues a RPG, but imo Oblivion is more role-playing than anything on the OP's list. I'd put it in the same category as Fallout or Planescape: Torment. You have the freedom to play a role instead of seeing a story through a characters eyes.

danmp18

Comparing Oblivion with Fallout and Planescape is like asking to get kicked in the nuts. :lol:

danmp18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 danmp18
Member since 2003 • 3561 Posts
[QUOTE="danmp18"]

I don't want to get into that same old discussion about what constitues a RPG, but imo Oblivion is more role-playing than anything on the OP's list. I'd put it in the same category as Fallout or Planescape: Torment. You have the freedom to play a role instead of seeing a story through a characters eyes.

Alaris83

Comparing Oblivion with Fallout and Planescape is like asking to get kicked in the nuts. :lol:

I'm not comparing the games, at least on a competency basis.  I'm saying that what you're doing in Oblivion is more role-playing than what you do in Final Fantasy or Valkyrie Profile.  I'm not saying they're bad games, as I love them, but imo they are fundamentaly different games that all get lumped into the same genre based on the loose association with Tolkein or D&D or Ultima.

inoperativeRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 inoperativeRS
[QUOTE="inoperativeRS"]

[QUOTE="11Marcel"]Wasn't ES 4 oblivion last year? I'd classify that as rpg too. danmp18

Well, I consider JRPG's to be more just stories with some gameplay attached to them. I agree that oblivion has more roleplaying than them, but I wouldn't consider it a true WRPG.

Robio_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#21 Robio_basic
Member since 2002 • 7059 Posts
I'll always consider 1999 the big year for me.  Between EverQuest and Square's "Summer of RPG's" (Legend of Mana, Chrono Cross, Threads of Fate, and capped off with Final Fantasy IX), I pretty much had everything I needed.  Ending the year with Majora's Mask was nice too.
Alaris83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 Alaris83
Member since 2004 • 1620 Posts

I'm not comparing the games, at least on a competency basis. I'm saying that what you're doing in Oblivion is more role-playing than what you do in Final Fantasy or Valkyrie Profile. I'm not saying they're bad games, as I love them, but imo they are fundamentaly different games that all get lumped into the same genre based on the loose association with Tolkein or D&D or Ultima.

danmp18

It's all in jest.  I know where you're coming from, thus the smiley.   However it's funny that you mention not playing "a story through a characters eyes" when that's excactly what you do in Planescape:  Torment with The Nameless One.  However, Torment succeeds where many other RPGs fail in that it has complex dialogue and a (mostly) original and intruiging storyline that you can affect with your actions during gameplay.

Dencore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Dencore
Member since 2006 • 7094 Posts

WRPG's>JRPG's!!!11

Sorry, I just had to let it out.

inoperativeRS

As an owner and player of both genres.