hd_hammah_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 hd_hammah_17
Member since 2019 • 24 Posts

Whenever I play multiplayer on games like Call of Duty or Halo, it immediately shows that I have very little skill when it comes to FPS games. I think this is because unlike most people I didn't start playing these until I was a freshman in high school (now I'm a senior), whereas most kids were playing these games from like 3rd grade.

My main source of trouble here is my aiming, which I can never hold in the right spot; every time I look through the scope to snipe, someone, I always end up moving around too much to hit them and not being able to reorient myself fast enough before I get shot, even if I adjust the sensitivity whether it be lower or higher. Also, I have trouble detecting people from behind or people who are sniping fast enough to avoid getting killed.

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By DaVillain-  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 39470 Posts

Question, are you playing FPS on consoles or on PC? If you are gonna play FPS, PC with Keyboard/Mouse is the only way to play any FPS properly and more effectively. Using Console controllers is the worst part and it's too slow to use.

DoomNukem3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 DoomNukem3D
Member since 2019 • 399 Posts

Only play on PC with mouse and keyboard. Also reccomend playing single player campaigns and getting more used to the genre.

hd_hammah_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 hd_hammah_17
Member since 2019 • 24 Posts

@davillain-: PS4 & Xbox 360

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 2746 Posts

I honestly prefer the controller. Everyone has to go though this learning period. To be some what good at fps whether it's kbm or controller. Playing a campaign does help by the end you should of gotten the basic idea. As for multi-player that takes months playing around 3 hours a day to get anywhere near the top in the beginning.

I think it was a good few matches before I even got my first kill. Once you've got there once, it only takes about a month for me and I'll be back on top.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By jeezers
Member since 2007 • 3687 Posts

Dont listen to people saying only play with kb/m..obviously they arent being helpful by just telling you to build a rig to get good at FPS (this just means they cant play for shit with a controller, pc master race, blahblahblah)

Yes its nice but not a big deal depending on the game, if its a twitch shooter like quake doom or unreal, counter atrike, then yeah pc is where it needs to be played, just point and click, perfect for twitch shooters.

Games like halo, titanfall, gears, cod, and battlefield imo are built around controllers just fine.

Theres only one strategy to get better, and its simple. Get Gud

Seriously just put in work, you may loose 300 times in a row but eventually you will get it.

Also dont mess with sensitivity, play on default for now, you dont need to have jacked sensitivity if your stuggling on controller, thats only going to make it harder. Get gud with default first.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 5649 Posts

1) Play the campaign, get good at playing the campaign. It won't emulate real people but it get your aiming and relfexes better.

2) Learn the maps, if you're running around lost on the map, you're going to get easily killed. Learn where people concentrate on the map, choke points, ways to flank, camping spots, etc.

3) Practice, its an easy one, but you can't be instantly good.

4) Start off with guns that are easier to use, full auto assault rifles are a good chose.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#8  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 24830 Posts

Well, there isn't any secret technique. Practice.

@hd_hammah_17 said:

My main source of trouble here is my aiming, which I can never hold in the right spot; every time I look through the scope to snipe, someone, I always end up moving around too much to hit them and not being able to reorient myself fast enough before I get shot, even if I adjust the sensitivity whether it be lower or higher.

That's just how it is playing FPSs with a controller. You can practice and become better, but you will never be especially good with a controller.

@hd_hammah_17 said:

Also, I have trouble detecting people from behind or people who are sniping fast enough to avoid getting killed.

Use headphones to hear people behind you better. If you know a sniper is in the area, stay low until you know where he is.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 VFighter

@Litchie: You can get really good with a controller, what are you smoking?

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Litchie

@vfighter said:

@Litchie: You can get really good with a controller, what are you smoking?

Depends on what you compare to. Compared to how good you can get with a mouse and keyboard, no you can't. You might feel good when you kill some kids in CoD on console, but by PC standards, you'd suck.

blamix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 blamix
Member since 2006 • 893 Posts

There is no problem on using controllers. Just remember the other players are using controllers too. If they can do it you can too. Playing online is a lot of learning. Not just your aim but the map aswell and which is the right class/gun for you. Don't be those players that camp all the time. Keep pushing and you'll gwt better

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 VFighter

@Litchie: If hes playing on console with a controller why would we be comparing it to a pc with a k/b?!?

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Litchie

@vfighter said:

@Litchie: If hes playing on console with a controller why would we be comparing it to a pc with a k/b?!?

Because this is a general games forum, and M/KB exist.

He's struggling with FPSs with a controller. I'm letting him know that everyone have problems with controllers in FPSs and the problems he's explaining are very common to people using controllers in FPSs, and that there's a way easier alternative to play FPSs with, namely M/KB. All problems he's having would've been fixed with M/KB.

And if that's not an alternative, I gave him the great advice of practice. Get killed often in online games? That's because the people you're playing against have practiced more than you. Like I said, there's no secret technique.

Avatar image for harrycharles254
Harrycharles254

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Harrycharles254
Member since 2019 • 9 Posts

Upgrade your RAM and Graphic Card for good fps.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 21634 Posts

Learn to correct your aiming through strafing instead of turning. Watch this video at half speed to see how he does it.

Douglas129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Douglas129
Member since 2019 • 17 Posts

Upgrade Your Graphic Card for Good

cejay0813

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#17  Edited By cejay0813
Member since 2004 • 1631 Posts

@davillain- said:

Question, are you playing FPS on consoles or on PC? If you are gonna play FPS, PC with Keyboard/Mouse is the only way to play any FPS properly and more effectively. Using Console controllers is the worst part and it's too slow to use.

Ok not necessarily, there's pride in being competent with a controller and takes skill also. Main thing as with anything is just practice, practice, and more practice. While I started gaming on PC and had my first experience with shooters there (Doom, Unreal Tournament, HL and CS) when I started really getting into console gaming I started to appreciate using a controller more and looked to get as good with it as I was with M&K.

What I will say as far as learning curve is concerned, definitely go with M&K. Didn't take too many a** whippins to "git gud" as they say.

As far as pointers for using a controller, play with your sensitivity settings until you get one that suits you best. Practice WITHOUT aim assist if you can turn it off completely. A lot of current shooters out right now let you seriously tweak the joysticks to your hearts content which is why I don't necessarily agree with the "M&K is hands down better than controller" argument anymore. If you want to be more snappy you have to get used to playing at a high setting and determining the exact amount of pressure needed to get on target and adjust on the fly as it moves. Funny thing is, the exact same thing goes if you want to get better with mouse and keyboard