I Made it to the End of The Last of Us...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Rayrota

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 Rayrota
Member since 2005 • 1456 Posts

...and I can now see why Gamespot gave it an 8/10, that ending was bull****. My jimmies are mad rustled right now. The game is still great, but that ending is just infuriating.

athrun07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#2 athrun07
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
that's why naughty dog announced the alternate ending recently.
athrun07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 athrun07
that's why naughty dog announced the alternate ending recently.
Rayrota

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Rayrota
that's why naughty dog announced the alternate ending recently.athrun07
So they're pulling a Mass Effect?
IncisionX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -3

#5 IncisionX
Member since 2004 • 208 Posts

Each to there own eh? Sadly you can never make an ending that pleases every consumer.

For my brother and I, we both enjoyed the ending but I know people who dislike it ^^

xiaoyangguang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 xiaoyangguang

So if she had died then it would have been better? Whatever way they had chosen there can't be a completely perfect ending.. And even if the ending had been as bad as you say it is, it shouldn't lower the whole game to an 8 instead of a 9+

DennisVSG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DennisVSG
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
Sadly I sold my PS3, need to find someone with a PS3 so I can be part of the hype around "the last of us" seems like a kick ass game
terminalsigh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 terminalsigh
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
The ending certainly left me feeling... I dunno... weird? With any game (especially) like TLoU, I'm sure most people hope for an ending that feels satisfyingly cathartic. Considering how dark and emotional the journey is, one can't help but yearn for a 'happily every after' type of send off. However, considering that same darkness and emotionality, should we have expected any ending other than what Naughty Dog provided? Personally, I'm glad they didn't make the ending all sunshine and rainbows; it would've just seemed too jarring and out of place.
crqos007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 crqos007
Member since 2009 • 43 Posts

That ending was not bull****. Tell me that if you were in Joel's position, with everything you've seen, everything you've experienced, you wouldn't do the exact same thing. Joel got his humanity back, while the human race had lost it's. The ending does not drop the game from a 9 to an 8.

Rayrota

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Rayrota

Regained his "humanity" by denying humanity a chance, possibly the ONLY chance, of finding the cure to a devastating virus that wiped out almost half the population for his own selfish desires? Keep in mind that Ellie was willing to go through with the surgery. Lastly, Joel and Ellie got away and lived happily ever after, facing no consequences for their actions, like killing hundreds of people. Complete cop-out ending in my opinion.

crqos007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 crqos007
Member since 2009 • 43 Posts

You'd rather have the cliched hero dies to save the world ending? That wasn't what the game was about. Humanity was lost. Finding a cure wouldn't save it. The best example I can point to is the scene with the giraffes. Nature is moving on. Life is moving on. The world hadn't ended, only humanity had. Saving what was left of humanity wasn't worth losing one more innocent girl. But the greatness of the ending is that it makes you think. Joel's decision isn't black and white at all. It stimulates discussion, it's ambiguous and allows for multiple interpretations. That's what is so great about it.

Avatar image for LtMichaelMurphy
LtMichaelMurphy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 LtMichaelMurphy
Spot on! The ending was perfect in my opinion. If Ellie would have died, there was no guarantee that they would have been able to make a vaccine, and even if they had, the Fireflies were a bunch of bastards anyway and would have kept it to themselves. They didn't care about "humanity" only their own selfish way of life that wanted to push on everyone else. This wouldn't have solved a single thing. The military would have gotten involved to strong arm them out of the vaccine, more deaths and a dead girl that sacrificed herself for what? Like you said, humanity was lost already and anyone with have a heart would have done exactly what Joel did. There was no "right or wrong" choice, just his choice and he could easily live with that decision.
Rayrota

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Rayrota

Nothing could have been more cliched than the actual ending. No matter what excuse you make for it, the ending is still a complete cop-out and makes Joel look utterly self-centered.

pirate1802

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 pirate1802

That ending was not bull****. Tell me that if you were in Joel's position, with everything you've seen, everything you've experienced, you wouldn't do the exact same thing. Joel got his humanity back, while the human race had lost it's. The ending does not drop the game from a 9 to an 8.

crqos007
Joel did what any caring father would do, after seeing it all. People are just too used to seeing supermoralistic characters always doing the "right" thing. Sometimes characters may have a human side and be swayed by human emotions.
Exailez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Exailez
I bought a ps3 just to be able to play this game, and it's a amazing game but yes the ending could had of been better ;)
jekyll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 145

#16 jekyll
Member since 2002 • 9140 Posts

Regained his "humanity" by denying humanity a chance, possibly the ONLY chance, of finding the cure to a devastating virus that wiped out almost half the population for his own selfish desires? Keep in mind that Ellie was willing to go through with the surgery. Lastly, Joel and Ellie got away and lived happily ever after, facing no consequences for their actions, like killing hundreds of people. Complete cop-out ending in my opinion.

Rayrota

Ellie was willing, but without the knowledge it would kill her. And who are these "hundreds of people" they killed? They never killed anyone who wasn't hunting them first.

Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Ilovegames1992
Member since 2010 • 14221 Posts

If the game was called Mass Effect or was affiliated with Bioware or EA in any way, I wonder the reaction would be to the (in my view) pretty poopy ending. I get it, dystopian futile nature of the world blah blah. It was pretty unfulfilling though.

kotyk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 kotyk
Member since 2003 • 460 Posts

Spoiler alert.....

Cried like a baby as I was running with her in my arms down the hospital hallways trying to escape.

kotyk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 kotyk
Member since 2003 • 460 Posts

Thats exactly what makes his character intesting and real...hes flawed and human.

LeonezBatiste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 LeonezBatiste
crqos007 Level 18 Flicky Posts: 45 Aug 22, 2013 9:15 pm GMT That ending was not bull****. Tell me that if you were in Joel's position, with everything you've seen, everything you've experienced, you wouldn't do the exact same thing. Joel got his humanity back, while the human race had lost it's. The ending does not drop the game from a 9 to an 8. I don't know why but I pictured Ellie ranting at Joel while saying this.
saruman354

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#22 saruman354
Member since 2004 • 10776 Posts

Would you rather them be able to use Ellie to cure the infection with no reprucussions? Because I think that would have been BS. If the ending made you upset, then the game did it's job. That was the point. The remaining survivors are the last of us, because there is nothing left worth saving. If you think it could have ended any other way and still made narrative sense, you are deluding yourself.

Even if you hated the ending, that's not why Gamespot gave it an 8. Either way, it's still one of the best reviewed games of the generation, so obviously someone thought the ending was good.

camichan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#23 camichan
Member since 2005 • 154 Posts

I can see why some might not like the ending. It does leave you to think and interpret the meaning on your own (Was Joel's decision the moral action or not, and if not, why not). Personally, I liked it. I think it worked as well as other possibilities. It reminded me of the movie No Country For Old Men which also had an abrupt ending of this sort. I loved the movie and the ending, but my dad hated the ending. I wasn't surprised to see in the wiki for The Last of Us that the Coen brothers and No Country For Old Men were inspirations for the game. Many of the inspirations for the game were also movies, games, books (i.e. The Road) I enjoyed. But it comes down to taste perhaps. I loved some of the subtlety in the performances in the Last of Us -- for example how Joel touches his watch when he tenders to Ellie his struggle with finding purpose after suffering a devastating loss. I thought the acting and narrative of the Last of Us was among the best, if not the best I've seen to date. The game offers a Naughty Dog's take (in my opinion) to the minimalist design by subtraction we've seen previously in games like Shadown of the Colossus. Minimal soundtrack, focus on quality, detail, and experience. In my opinion the game ranks right up there with classics like SoTC.

athrun07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 athrun07
I still feel the ending is a bit anti-climatic though. but it was a good one too.