I just swiped an SNES at a garage sale for five US$, but there's a problem.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

NamelessPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 NamelessPlayer
Member since 2004 • 7729 Posts
It wasn't just the SNES, but a gamepad and a bunch of games (most of which I don't care about) as well. I am once again reunited with my favorite console ever after my mother gave away my old one (though I still want my old games back). Great deal on a retro console, you might think, but there's one big catch-no AC adapter or AV cables. I can take care of the latter problem since the N64 uses the same port, but I don't think I have any compatible AC adapters for the thing. I could order one off of eBay, but shipping would make that one part cost more than this whole set! Is there any way I can acquire a compatible AC adapter for five dollars or less, or am I going to have to end up eating shipping costs? (Note that I wouldn't be so irked about the shipping if I could get some extra controllers with the deal...maybe some extra gamepads, a multitap, a mouse so that my copy of Mario Paint isn't useless, and a Super Scope. That way, the shipping would seem justified.)
CJL182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 CJL182
Member since 2003 • 9233 Posts
My original AC adapter for my SNES broke a LONG time ago too, and we just got another generic one from Radio Shack. Just make sure the voltage is about the same and the port is the same and you should be fine.
maninatrunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#3 maninatrunk
Member since 2008 • 335 Posts
dude, think about it you just got a SNES for 5 bucks and your complaining about having to cough up 5 more for an ac adapter? Jesus, that is kind of rediculous don't you think? I see people on ebay paying 30 or 40 bucks for the console by itself, I think you just need to suck it up, loosen up a little and spend the whole 5, hell even 10 bucks, to make this a complete system.
Travis350z28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Travis350z28
Member since 2008 • 221 Posts
you got a good deal but yes it is going to cost you in the long run.
WhiteTigerX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 WhiteTigerX
Member since 2007 • 70 Posts

5....$

Who sold you that? a 5 year old kid? Thats frickin stupid just 5??? oh god.....

I wish i was that lucky, i dont get one because people selling for 100€ and even more...

But well, i still have my NES.

Cables, go to one of those shops CashConverters, or something like that, the sell junk, and buy it also. don't know if you have one wherever you live

ReaperV7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ReaperV7
Member since 2008 • 6756 Posts
i love garage sales.
NamelessPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 NamelessPlayer
My original AC adapter for my SNES broke a LONG time ago too, and we just got another generic one from Radio Shack. Just make sure the voltage is about the same and the port is the same and you should be fine.CJL182
Okay, so it is a typical barrel connector after all. What I was worried about is that the shaft in the middle of the AC adapter port has a hole in it, which could house some sort of necessary electrical connection.
dude, think about it you just got a SNES for 5 bucks and your complaining about having to cough up 5 more for an ac adapter? Jesus, that is kind of rediculous don't you think? I see people on ebay paying 30 or 40 bucks for the console by itself, I think you just need to suck it up, loosen up a little and spend the whole 5, hell even 10 bucks, to make this a complete system.maninatrunk
You do have a point, but it's just that I'm short on cash right now and don't want to spend too much. In particular, I don't want to buy an AC adapter now, have it shipped by itself, then order some gamepads down the road and eat shipping for those when I could probably save money by having all of it shipped at once. I guess that what I'm really looking for is a place where I can get an AC adapter and some other things so that the cost to ship it all to my doorstep is justified in my eyes. Also, some sort of psychological complex might be going on with me where I'd refuse to spend more than five bucks because I paid that much for the console, gamepad, and a bunch of games, but I'd be more willing to spend 10 US$ for an AC adapter, shipping and all, if I paid much more for that same set. It just seems a bit weird to pay more for a particular accessory than the main system...

5....$

Who sold you that? a 5 year old kid? Thats frickin stupid just 5??? oh god.....

I wish i was that lucky, i dont get one because people selling for 100€ and even more...

WhiteTigerX
It was an adult who looked as if he was in his twenties that sold me the whole deal, not a five-year-old. You just have to be in the right place at the right time, which is admittedly quite harder than it sounds; I'm still itching for the day I can pluck an Amiga or a Virtual Boy from a garage sale for dirt cheap.
Travis350z28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Travis350z28
Member since 2008 • 221 Posts
Well said.
mariojoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 mariojoe
Member since 2006 • 199 Posts
all I can say, is that if you also have an NES, the power cable works for both.
NamelessPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 NamelessPlayer
all I can say, is that if you also have an NES, the power cable works for both.mariojoe
Unfortunately, I also don't have my NES anymore. However, this does raise my options somewhat; if I can find someone with an NES AC adapter at a garage sale or something, I can just get that. It's also said that the Virtual Boy's AC adapter consists of the NES/SNES power brick and a piece that connects to the VB's controller through which the AC adapter connects.
maninatrunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 maninatrunk
well in that case go ebay and find a very large seller or mainly classic games I could give you a few seller names to look up that deal manily with older games, anyways if you find an ac adapter, and find some controllers from the same seller you can most of the time buy them all and have the shipping combined to save some money on shipping!
NamelessPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 NamelessPlayer
well in that case go ebay and find a very large seller or mainly classic games I could give you a few seller names to look up that deal manily with older games, anyways if you find an ac adapter, and find some controllers from the same seller you can most of the time buy them all and have the shipping combined to save some money on shipping!maninatrunk
What sellers do you recommend? Also, I just remembered something; my only SNES/N64/GCN Multi-Out cables are either RF or composite, which means poor image quality (especially after getting used to VGA and component). I could use an S-Video cable for a significant image quality increase, especially since this SNES is the older, boxy model that still retains S-Video support.
maninatrunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 maninatrunk
heres a link to the first one http://stores.ebay.com/eGameUniverse-com heres the second http://stores.ebay.com/video-game-wholesaler and the third http://stores.ebay.com/CA-CHEAPSKATE they are all real good for having a wide variety of games for older systems and accessories, I hope they got what your looking for!
Avatar image for blazinpuertoroc
blazinpuertoroc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 blazinpuertoroc
Member since 2004 • 12245 Posts
ebay is your best bet...who cares the price..your luck to find it, is the system still gray??
NamelessPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 NamelessPlayer
ebay is your best bet...who cares the price..your luck to find it, is the system still gray??blazinpuertoroc
Thankfully, it hasn't yellowed even after sitting in the hot Georgia sun during that garage sale. It does have a few nicks and some scrapes on the bottom, but they're not all that noticeable (especially compared to a system that has yellowed out over time). Also, I just realized that I had more funds available than originally thought, and could probably swipe an AC adapter and gamepad without too much risk of overdrafting. (I've found a couple of promising eBay sellers, but I only wish that they also sold S-Video cables...)
foxtrot4239

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 foxtrot4239
Member since 2009 • 145 Posts

Hi. The voltage ouput you need is "10 volt DC" and the middle of the plugin is negative. Any tranformer with that will do.

JuanGrande386

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 JuanGrande386
Member since 2003 • 1116 Posts

DO NOT buy the ac adapter with the nes, snes and genesis plug ins. I have one and it works for NES but the SNES and Genesis had wavy lines running through the tv picture. I got a still sealed official Nintendo brand SNES AC adapter for $7 from an ebay seller, not sure if he had more.

EDIT this is the one to avoid http://www.homefieldcards.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=160089

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#18 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

ebay ,, ,

as for av cable the one for n64 and gc works,, for it