I just saw a commercial for Gears 5. It's depressing

#1 Posted by sanghelle56 (225 posts) -

Depressing that there still aren't any video games where you play as a monster.

While it's great we have more female protagonists now, it's just as important that monsters - be it anti-heroes or aliens, robots, etc - get the spotlight by being at your controller's back and call. REPRESENTATION FOR ALL TYPES OF CHARACTERS. "Monsters aren't relatable" is just an excuse.

I want a game where you're a malicious being who f**king eats people lol. (Please don't say Stubbs The Zombie or Evolve).

#2 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (19282 posts) -

#3 Edited by livingdeadman (372 posts) -

@sanghelle56: A monster that eats innocent people? How is that any different than Hatred? How about an anti-heroic humanoid monster that eats evil people and protects the innocent? Like Baba Yaga in monster form or The Punisher.

Like my cannibalistic Fallout 3 character who hunts raiders all while having good karma and being a Messiah of the wasteland.

#4 Posted by Archangel3371 (28553 posts) -

Well alrighty then.

#5 Posted by Litchie (24346 posts) -

Were you expecting to play as a monster in Gears 5? That's weird.

Chech out the indie game Carrion.

#6 Edited by mrbojangles25 (44402 posts) -

@livingdeadman said:

@sanghelle56: A monster that eats innocent people? How is that any different than Hatred? How about an anti-heroic humanoid monster that eats evil people and protects the innocent? Like Baba Yaga in monster form or The Punisher.

Like my cannibalistic Fallout 3 character who hunts raiders all while having good karma and being a Messiah of the wasteland.

Well, in Hatred you play an asshole. Yeah he does bad things, but he is mostly an asshole. There is no rhyme or reason, just some right-wing psycho that snapped and went on a rampage.

Conversely, there are some games where you play bad guys and it actually makes sense.

AvP was pretty great, you got to collect the skulls or eat the brains of scientists. Though they arguably aren't innocent (they're part of the evil, interplanetary corporation Weyland-Yutani), they are certainly defenseless :D

Likewise, some of the best quest chains in The Elders Scrolls are for the Thieves Guild and The Dark Brotherhood, both are technically "bad guys".

Playing as a Sith/Dark Side character in Star Wars: The Old Republic is also incredibly satisfying. Even more so, playing a "dark jedi" on t he Republic side felt unique, odd, and yet very enjoyable; having people come up to you and go "Help us, Jedi!" and then asking "Why should I?" or "How much will you pay me?" and seeing the shock on their faces was awesome.

It was great fun, and I agree with the OP; there need to be more games where you play as the bad guy.

#8 Posted by sanghelle56 (225 posts) -

@livingdeadman: I wasn't referring to innocent people. Sorry that I didn't get specific.

I've had a video game idea of the nature of a monster cannibal protag eating actually evil people, since there aren't any that exist now. One thing I keep in mind is, "If it isn't reality, make it."

#9 Posted by livingdeadman (372 posts) -

@sanghelle56: It's okay, I should have known you didn't mean just anyone. Sorry. I thought of a game or movie like that too maybe we can make a screenplay or something. Since we are in the topic of Gears 5, I was thinking in Gears 6 there should be a friendly locust like the Arbiter and is part of the squad.

#10 Posted by Ish_basic (5027 posts) -

there was that old game Deception, where you play a murdered prince that makes a deal with the devil. You basically trap the heroes coming into the castle you haunt and use their body parts to summon monsters to fight for you.

I'm definitely into the idea of more interesting protagonists. Saving the world gets old. Anti-heroes don't make it any more fresh, either.

#11 Posted by SaltSlasher (1318 posts) -

You literally never played Gears, cause I was last night, and guess what, I played a monster.

#12 Posted by neatfeatguy (4262 posts) -
@sanghelle56 said:

Depressing that there still aren't any video games where you play as a monster.

While it's great we have more female protagonists now, it's just as important that monsters - be it anti-heroes or aliens, robots, etc - get the spotlight by being at your controller's back and call. REPRESENTATION FOR ALL TYPES OF CHARACTERS. "Monsters aren't relatable" is just an excuse.

I want a game where you're a malicious being who f**king eats people lol. (Please don't say Stubbs The Zombie or Evolve).

Go play Halo 2 - you can play as the arbiter, if I remember correctly.