I just don't understand cheaters

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

I just don't understand cheaters. Why do they even play? What's the point? Do they think it's cute or do they think that they're cool or what?

For example, there's a new Modern Warfare 2 unlimited grenade launcher mod or glitch that recently is happening. I ran into a couple of douche-bags today spamming this thing. Actually, there were two of them, one on the other team and the other on the team I was on. Basically, the mod or glitch let's them shoot grenade launchers like a machine gun with unlimited ammos. It's so freakin' annoying! And this was over XBOX Live, probably through a hacked 360!

And don't get me started with that old javelin glitch!

Where did this come from? Doesn't Inifinity Ward know about this?

Anyway, my point is why the hell do these idiots even play? What's the point of it? It takes away the whole point of fair competitive online gaming.

I bet a lot of these punks are kids and a few moronic older punks who thinks this is fun or noobs who wants to rack up points by cheating. Whatever, it's probably because they suck at the game!

Sorry for the rant but things like this tick me off! Games should be fun but things like this ruin it!

majadamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#2 majadamus
Member since 2003 • 10292 Posts
You pretty much said. It's a fast way to rack up points and get on the leaderboards quicker.
shinian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 shinian
Member since 2005 • 6871 Posts

I guess they have fun watching how people react. I can't imagine the amount of human rage they stirred up during the game :lol:

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#4 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
Some people just like being dicks. I remember various issues Counterstrike had with aimbots and wallhacks and there were always people using them - the satisfaction of ruining other peoples' experiences must be better than playing the game the way it was designed.
Dark5tar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 Dark5tar1
Member since 2006 • 1127 Posts

It's because they have no real skill at the game whatsoever so they resort to cheats

It's hilarious to see how they are so pathetic to win and go up in the leaderboards just to show they are better except without cheats.

Any cheater is a piece of trash

EmpCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 EmpCom
Member since 2005 • 3451 Posts
People cheat all the time whether it be in games , exams or whatever .
0Tyler0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 0Tyler0
Member since 2008 • 2602 Posts
Cheaters piss me off. What pisses me off even more is that we can't kick them from servers.
PistolGripPump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 PistolGripPump
Member since 2009 • 199 Posts
It both infuriates me and puzzles me how such an anticipated sequel to a successful game can have SO MANY glitches. It's astounding that Infinity Ward even let these get by Beta phases, MW1 had none that impacted the online play this much. They need to get on the ball.
S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#9 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

Yet another MW2 glitch?

Let me see if i can list em all.

- Infinite Care package glitch
- Javelin gltich
- Broken 1887 dual shotgun range
- Afghan map glitch
- Broken tactical knife "lunge" range
- and now infinite grenade launcher

I'm sure Im missing at least a couple more.

I am sorry but I have to blame IW for this. Every game has cheaters who will exploit these glitches anyway they can, it's upto the devs to spot them and get rid of them. I have played quite a few online games this gen, and MW2 has been the buggiest most infruraiting online experience of this gen for me. Their refusal to fix the Javelin glitch and the range of those 1887s ruined the multiplayer for me. No other developer has been this lazy in fixing stuff. I have put in hours 70 hours in MGO and Resistance, over 100 hours in KZ2, Warhawk and Uncharted 2, and have yet to experience a single map glitch in any of those games. None of those games have had glitches like the infinite care package, grenade launcher and javelin glitch.... none whatsoever.

It's BS. It's lame. And it's IW's fault. Simple as that.

Best online experience of the generation... my ass!

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
Because it's fun to watch people whine.
S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#11 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

It both infuriates me and puzzles me how such an anticipated sequel to a successful game can have SO MANY glitches. It's astounding that Infinity Ward even let these get by Beta phases, MW1 had none that impacted the online play this much. They need to get on the ball.PistolGripPump

MW2 didnt even have a beta.

They did inhouse testing on that stuff...................

juice--box

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 juice--box
Member since 2009 • 38 Posts

no one really does. Its jsut for pathertic losers who have nothing else to do and who suck at playing games. They need to cheat in order to win becuase the get embarrassed if they play normally like everyone else. A real game has talent and knows how to actually play a game and rank his way through them properly, no by using friends or glitches or bugs to help him along the way.

yodariquo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#13 yodariquo
Member since 2005 • 6631 Posts
It's a self-spreading issue. However you want to think it started, once someone introduces a glitch or a way of gaining an advantage, others naturally will react to that by using the same advantage to feel like they're not being taken advantage of. On another side, though, it can be satisfying to do something crazy that wasn't intended in the game. Pushing that into multiplayer in order to win is anther issue.
PeculatorX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 PeculatorX
Member since 2009 • 5050 Posts
You pretty much said. It's a fast way to rack up points and get on the leaderboards quicker. majadamus
Tiger Woods is thinking of changing his name to CHEATa
Gamefan1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Gamefan1986
Member since 2005 • 1325 Posts

I experienced this just today...but it happens for everyone, not just the person who does the glitch.

When I was playing every person, including me, had infinite grenades, launchers, and could fire their gun infinitely w/o needing to reload.

It was annoying yes that the game was hacked, but I don't think you can call it "cheating" if you don't get an unfair advantage out of it.

Pixel-Pirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Pixel-Pirate
Member since 2009 • 10771 Posts

When it comes to single player I see absolutely nothing wrong with cheating.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#17 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

When it comes to single player I see absolutely nothing wrong with cheating.

Pixel-Pirate

Well yeah, because if anyone's experience is ruined, it's just yours. But when you start hacking games in multiplayer modes, that is when cheating becomes despicable. It ruins the fun and competition for everyone, and in games where losing = losing WiFi/online/leaderboard points, it is REALLY infuriating. I'd rather be in teh middle of the leaderboard through actualy effort than at the top through cheating.

Avatar image for AtomicTangerine
AtomicTangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 AtomicTangerine
Member since 2005 • 4413 Posts

Just to clarify about the infinte ammo one you are talking about, that affects the whole game actually. If you had a grenade launcher out in that game, you could totally do it right back to them, so next time use that default grenade launcher class on top and do some work at least if you don't back out right away.

As for all the problems with this game, I wonder how much of it would become this bad if it wasn't so popular. Almost every game has some glitches and it is just a matter of time until somebody finds them out. That being said, even when stuff like the javelin glitch was still out there, I maybe ran into one guy every dozen or so games, and he would almost always go negative.

MMOaddict2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MMOaddict2009
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
those that have skill and talent do. those that don't, cheat.
_BlueDuck_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 _BlueDuck_
Member since 2003 • 11986 Posts

Sometimes it's fun to win.

Quadster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#22 Quadster
Member since 2003 • 578 Posts
In online games i would get pretty mad if someone cheats, but lets face it, it's a different story for single player games, when i've completed a game, i'd cheat a little to get a bit more enjoyment out of a title....c'mon....who remembers cheating in older games like quake (Impulse 9 anyone?) just to have a fragging spree! Actually....i used to practice playing doom and quake with cheats on just to get quite good and get used to the games about 12 years ago, (kinda like training wheels lol), now i don't really play using cheats....unless i really am bad at a game like i said, only for practice and fun
Cell2u

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Cell2u
Member since 2008 • 262 Posts
I found that MOST cheaters are the very young. I know my 10 yr old nephew has recently been into games and he always finds cheat codes as soon as he loads a game. And what happens is, he plays the games with cheats for about 10 minutes then never plays them again. Thats what happens when theres no challenge and you make the game so you cant die. You get bored quick. I tell my brother he is just wasting money on games, but oh well, just glad its not my money i guess. He bought San Andreas (yeah, too young for that game) and didnt even play 10% of the game before he was making bubble cars float away and giving himself unlimted ammo and health. But for a lot of people theres a turning point. When they start visiting message boards and asking for cheats, then everyone calls them a LOSER all the time, it can change their stripes. Only time will tell.
Avatar image for Grammaton-Cleric
Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Grammaton-Cleric
Member since 2002 • 7515 Posts

I would argue it reflects our society as a whole, at least here in the States.

Nobody wants to learn the ropes or improve the hard way; everyone wants to be rock stars without paying their dues.

When Street Fighter II Hyper Fighting first hit I played consistently and took my licks along with my victories. What blew my mind was how many high ranked player were pulling disconnects when they lost, preserving scores and rankings they clearly didn't earn. To this day I still don't understand the point of claiming a ranking not honestly earned; it's pathetic for so many reasons.

Back in the day when SFII hit arcades, I learned and became better by getting beaten. Over and over and over again.

The reason you don't understand them Ask is because they are beneath you. You shouldn't bother trying to understand a cheater anymore than you would try and understand the mentality of a cockroach.

_BlueDuck_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 _BlueDuck_
Member since 2003 • 11986 Posts

Nobody wants to learn the ropes or improve the hard way; everyone wants to be rock stars without paying their dues.

When Street Fighter II Hyper Fighting first hit I played consistently and took my licks along with my victories. What blew my mind was how many high ranked player were pulling disconnects when they lost, preserving scores and rankings they clearly didn't earn. To this day I still don't understand the point of claiming a ranking not honestly earned; it's pathetic for so many reasons.

Back in the day when SFII hit arcades, I learned and became better by getting beaten. Over and over and over again.

The reason you don't understand them Ask is because they are beneath you. You shouldn't bother trying to understand a cheater anymore than you would try and understand the mentality of a cockroach.

Grammaton-Cleric

Cheaters have the mentality of a cockroach? Really? You don't think that's a bit much?

It's pretty simple really; people like to win, and since video games are just games, meant to be fun, cheating in them does no real harm. Therefore, a lot of people have no real problem doing it.

As I child I cheated while playing Monopoly a lot. Was it a big deal? No. Because it was a board game.

Avatar image for Grammaton-Cleric
Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Grammaton-Cleric
Member since 2002 • 7515 Posts

[QUOTE="Grammaton-Cleric"]

_BlueDuck_

Cheaters have the mentality of a cockroach? Really? You don't think that's a bit much?

It's pretty simple really; people like to win, and since video games are just games, meant to be fun, cheating in them does no real harm. Therefore, a lot of people have no real problem doing it.

As I child I cheated while playing Monopoly a lot. Was it a big deal? No. Because it was a board game.

Cheating and winning are two separate things entirely.

And really, if the entire crux of your argument is that games are supposed to be fun, I pose this questions: why cheat at all if fun is the only goal? What's fun about cheating and why is winning so important to these people?

As a point of fact, it's the cheaterswho take these games far too seriously; they make the choice to play unfairly because nothing matters except the outcome. They are more concerned with the appearance of skill rather than actually possessing said skill or earning those scores and rankings, which is pathetic.

But you're correct about the cockroach analogy being harsh; the cockroaches didn't do anything wrong and don't deserve derision.

BladesOfAthena

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 BladesOfAthena
Member since 2008 • 3938 Posts

[QUOTE="Grammaton-Cleric"]

_BlueDuck_

It does affect those who'd very much prefer to play it fair and square though. There are cheaters, liars, and stealers - all of which are despicable.

Dire_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#28 Dire_Weasel
Member since 2002 • 16681 Posts

There's a certain category of gamers that really enjoy griefing. It's just something that you have to get used to.

thunderf00t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 thunderf00t
Member since 2009 • 948 Posts

There's a certain category of gamers that really enjoy griefing. It's just something that you have to get used to.

Dire_Weasel
I just don't play online. Problem solved.
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ASK_Story

_BlueDuck_

Not when you win by cheating.

It's fun when you win fairly and more rewarding. It's rewarding because you see yourself improving. If you cheat you never improve and will always stay a loser.

Winning by cheating is pointless.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ASK_Story

Dire_Weasel
Why do you think I stopped playing Day of Defeat. Team-killers, aim-bots, it's a mess sometimes.
thunderf00t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 thunderf00t

_BlueDuck_
Only a complete and utter failure at life would feel good and have fun from "winning" in an online game by cheating. Those people are wasting perfectly good oxygen that could be going into and fueling normal productive members of society. They serve no useful purpose to the rest of us, until we realize the ability mass produce soylent green, anyway.
Goods_Merchant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#33 Goods_Merchant
Member since 2009 • 953 Posts

It is because it is fun to cheat. No, let me rephrase that. It is fun if you know how to cheat, too. If you don't know how to cheat, and someone else does, it isn't fun. It is only fun when you are at the same level of knowledge as them.

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#34 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
I don't either, i just call them losers. You're already playing a video game to begin with, then you need to cheat and try to be a show-off to look cool, man how lame. Also always winning must get old, games are about having fun and to me that requires the risk of losing.
thunderf00t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 thunderf00t

It is because it is fun to cheat. No, let me rephrase that. It is fun if you know how to cheat, too. If you don't know how to cheat, and someone else does, it isn't fun. It is only fun when you are at the same level of knowledge as them.

Goods_Merchant

No, that's not fun either. Sinking to a losers level isn't the way you beat them. You report them, and get their console banned from it's online service. That's how you beat them. Sony and MS both need much stricter moderation of online gameplay, with immediate permanent bannings for anyone who cheats, to any degree, even once. That would send a message, and finally get things done.

fighter91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#36 fighter91
Member since 2005 • 1293 Posts
People cheat all the time whether it be in games , exams or whatever .EmpCom
That is very true. However, cheating in a game is extremely frustrating because it angers everybody in the server. It's really annoying playing in a CS 1.6 server with like 6 people who have aimbots and everybody cursing at them through the chat and the mic.