I hate grinding....so much.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

LittleTauren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 LittleTauren
Member since 2008 • 115 Posts
Who else hates grinding? I used to not really care if I had to grind in a game but my attention span has gotten shorter with age....somehow. I think grinding's just a lazy way to get more hours into a game and in the end it's just boring.
nosferatu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 nosferatu
Member since 2002 • 4292 Posts
So... what game are you playing that's forcing you to grind? And why are you playing it then? Sometimes it really does hurt less to cut your losses, you just have to see it as an investment in your sanity and not the short-term "look at all the work I'd lose".
Nes705

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Nes705
Member since 2004 • 222 Posts
grinding sucks
Oilers99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 Oilers99
Member since 2002 • 28844 Posts
Sometimes you can bypass grinding simply by spending more time exploring... and taking on whatever enemies you find along the way.

And some games are just badly designed.
Toriko42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#5 Toriko42
Member since 2006 • 27562 Posts
World of Warcraft made grinding fun for me, I never had to do much of it though
Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#6 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

I hate when turn based RPGs force you into fighting the same monsters ten billion times because you have to boost your stats. I call that a cheap trick.

They're like:

Programmer A: "Hey, our RPG is a mere 20 hours long, what do we do?"

Programmer B: "No problem, let's put a few more battles and less experience points in and here you go: 90+ hours of gameplay!"

Programmer A: "90+? Cool! Write it on the back of the box!"

LongWay2Go

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 LongWay2Go
Member since 2008 • 362 Posts
For some reason I like grinding. After countless hours of grinding, you somehow see the progress you've made then you push further. I dunno, that's just me, I guess. I'm a lazy person but not when it comes to level grinding it games. Just one of the old school elements.
nopalversion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 nopalversion
Member since 2005 • 4757 Posts
Really used to hate it, but WoW and The World Ends WIth You really made me appreciate it. WoW grinding puts you in a Zen state of mind, while grinding in TWEWY is so very enjoyable.
LongWay2Go

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 LongWay2Go
Member since 2008 • 362 Posts
Maybe it depends on the gamer's attention span and the game itself, I guess.
nopalversion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 nopalversion
Member since 2005 • 4757 Posts
I'm guessing it all depends on the rewards for said grinding and how interesting said rewards are... or how game-changing.
Saruman1719

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11 Saruman1719
Member since 2003 • 12466 Posts
As long as the battle system is compelling and great music is playing during the battle, I love grinding.
_AbBaNdOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

#12 _AbBaNdOn
Member since 2005 • 6518 Posts
As long as you get rewarded for it I love to grind. *cough* Disgaea 2 *cough*. Mostly thats why I hate classic turn based rpg's now. I'd much rather play a tactical rpg or action rpg so my brain doesnt go numb from doing the same thing repeatedly. I really hate it when all your fighting doesnt do anything except bring you up to the level you need to be to fight the next boss like in FF games. All you do is buy new equipment and head for the next boss and get in countless fights along the way until you beat the boss and then head to the next town to pick up new equipment and do it all over again and by the end of the game my stats and equipment is exactly like your stats and equipment.
skp_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 skp_16
Member since 2005 • 3854 Posts
I hate grinding too. I hate spending countless hours just to level up.
WhiteWorld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 WhiteWorld
Member since 2004 • 326 Posts

Grinding is like a filler in MMORPGs to make it more time-consuming to level up. And harder too, I guess, since it's hard to force yourself to keep playing when you're bored out of your ****ing mind. I'd rather play an MMO where you can reach the cap in 60 hours but have a great (grindless) time doing it rather than spend 200 hours with a little bit of enjoyment here and there.

MMORPGs all have this problem. The quest system they all use is stupid too, on a related note, and these two things are what makes leveling so very very boring in MMOGs. Having 20 quests at once is annoying because you have to read through them all and then memorize the locations so you don't have to go to a place you've already been to. Then when you're done with whatever location you were in you have to read the quests again to find the nearest ones unless you're some sort of memory wizard... It's all very stupid and could be so easily made far better and at the same time more realistic by setting it up as a Notebook by the player's character with the location, objective and quest giver's location quickly summarized and sorted by objective locations.

Does anyone think it's fun to get ambiguous quest descriptions and have to spend time searching for something you don't know what looks like, accompanied by a nagging doubt that maybe this isn't the right place? That's not my definition of fun, that's my definition of ****ing unnecessarily tedious bulls*** entirely to blame on incompetent game designers and writers.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#15 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts
I generally don't like it, but I do like being able to make myself more powerful.
TheCrazed420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 TheCrazed420
Member since 2003 • 7661 Posts
I like grinding in small doses.
OneWingedAngeI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 OneWingedAngeI
Member since 2003 • 9448 Posts
i have come to hate grinding with a passion. its a crutch thats been used for years and it makes me lose respect for a game.
Angry_Beaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Angry_Beaver
Member since 2003 • 4884 Posts
I also hate grinding. No matter what game I find it in, I hate it. If I'm going to grind in a JRPG, the battles better be fun, fast, and have good music, like the Golden Suns. I love those, but I still get tired of the grinding.
JackSherbak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 JackSherbak
Member since 2005 • 318 Posts

GTA4! Whilst its nto technically grinding I feel like its been one hell of a grind to get through!.. OK the combat system has been improved over previous games but considering you spend most your time using Taxi's (if you didnt use Taxi's the driving to missions could definalty be considered grinding) but seeign as you spend most of your time using taxi's combat is the core of the game and the AI during combat is awful! undertaking the missions to uncover more of the story has been a real GRIND!

KillOBKilled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20 KillOBKilled
Member since 2008 • 231 Posts

Grinding in my opinion is when you NEED to do the same thing, for the same result, more than twice. I HATE grinding. Now, if you can do something slightly different or recieve random rewards pretty consistantly, in general, that is what I consider fun. The original Fallouts were like that, roam the wastland and have random encounters (they were decently random for their time).

Another issue I think that affects grinding is how the player feels about being unique. For the most part, any MMO I've played, the result of grinding is to be like the 1000's of players before you in your class. Some people like that, and go for that, I hate it... I want a game that makes my lvl 60 so and so to be vastly different from another guy's lvl 60 same class character because of the way I lvled up. I think that might help some people with their grind hate.

GSU28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 GSU28
Member since 2007 • 1608 Posts
Don't play MMO's is my motto.
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#22 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts

Grinding sucks. I know that sentiment isn't echoed by everyone, of course - there are people who love grinding in their JRPGs, who will happily boost their characters to the maximum level for no reason other than 'they can.' So I'm happy to give a polite nod to any game that makes an effort to reduce grinding or even discourage it - like Chrono Cross, which stopped giving you stat boosts after a handful of fights, and making bosses the only route for level-up. I got a stange sense of satisfaction from that, knowing that grind whores would be able to continue their perpetual run-in-a-circle-and-random-battle-to-level-99 (or some variant of it) but it wouldn't provide them with the usual effect.

The whole concept of artificially increasing enemy levels and requiring you to earn experience to remain competitive is archaic anyway. I'd much rather RPGs become skill based than level based, as they have been for ages. It's just a relic of the same era that brought us such gems as save points and random battles. Hey developers - we don't have the same hardware restrictions we did eons ago.

Grinding is like a filler in MMORPGs to make it more time-consuming to level up. And harder too, I guess, since it's hard to force yourself to keep playing when you're bored out of your ****ing mind. I'd rather play an MMO where you can reach the cap in 60 hours but have a great (grindless) time doing it rather than spend 200 hours with a little bit of enjoyment here and there.

MMORPGs all have this problem. The quest system they all use is stupid too, on a related note, and these two things are what makes leveling so very very boring in MMOGs. Having 20 quests at once is annoying because you have to read through them all and then memorize the locations so you don't have to go to a place you've already been to. Then when you're done with whatever location you were in you have to read the quests again to find the nearest ones unless you're some sort of memory wizard... It's all very stupid and could be so easily made far better and at the same time more realistic by setting it up as a Notebook by the player's character with the location, objective and quest giver's location quickly summarized and sorted by objective locations.

Does anyone think it's fun to get ambiguous quest descriptions and have to spend time searching for something you don't know what looks like, accompanied by a nagging doubt that maybe this isn't the right place? That's not my definition of fun, that's my definition of ****ing unnecessarily tedious bulls*** entirely to blame on incompetent game designers and writers.

WhiteWorld

Guild Wars popped to mind after your first paragraph and only got stronger after that. I realize it's not a standard MMORPG, but you hit the level cap of 20 long before the end of the game, and even the fancy weapons and armor aren't any different (in terms of stats) than regular high-level items. So basically you've got the bulk of your character maxxed out early on and the challenge from that point comes from careful allocation of your skills, your heroes and their skills, and the strategy for each mission or area. The difficulty does not come because you're under-leveled or because your items aren't good enough.

Quests are also split up by area in a collapsable menu, and clicking on them brings up an arrow and a big yellow star on the map directing you to the objective. Initially it seems like cheating, but it soon becomes a godsend.

You can still grind in the game, but it's not required for anything of great importance. Unlike WoW, where excessive grinding rewards you with vastly superior weapons and armor than casual players. In Guild Wars, you just look fancier - you don't get an advantage (ignoring skill with the game from practice).

SophinaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SophinaK
Member since 2006 • 990 Posts

Grinding sucks. I know that sentiment isn't echoed by everyone, of course - there are people who love grinding in their JRPGs, who will happily boost their characters to the maximum level for no reason other than 'they can.' So I'm happy to give a polite nod to any game that makes an effort to reduce grinding or even discourage it - like Chrono Cross, which stopped giving you stat boosts after a handful of fights, and making bosses the only route for level-up. I got a stange sense of satisfaction from that, knowing that grind whores would be able to continue their perpetual run-in-a-circle-and-random-battle-to-level-99 (or some variant of it) but it wouldn't provide them with the usual effect.

The whole concept of artificially increasing enemy levels and requiring you to earn experience to remain competitive is archaic anyway. I'd much rather RPGs become skill based than level based, as they have been for ages. It's just a relic of the same era that brought us such gems as save points and random battles. Hey developers - we don't have the same hardware restrictions we did eons ago.

DJ_Lae

I don't like it when I'm forced to grind to progress. I do like it when I have a battle system that I find compelling and I want to max my characters out because I enjoy it. Sometimes grinding in an enjoyable system can be very soothing, and actually pretty rewarding. I certainly hope that more games don't follow the route where a good satisfying grind becomes impossible, just like I hope less games will make a long tedious grind mandatory.

I also would hate to see RPGs become exclusively skill based. I don't play games to be punished, if I wanted to be punished for my slow reaction times and poor hand eye coordination I'd play Ninja Gaiden... or basketball. There's already plenty of games out there that are geared toward people with impossibly quick reflexes, lets have at least a few RPGs that stay in the realm of normal people's abilities! The reason I like RPGs now is because they're an experience more than a competition.

Oilers99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#24 Oilers99
Member since 2002 • 28844 Posts
[QUOTE="DJ_Lae"]

SophinaK

I don't like it when I'm forced to grind to progress. I do like it when I have a battle system that I find compelling and I want to max my characters out because I enjoy it. Sometimes grinding in an enjoyable system can be very soothing, and actually pretty rewarding. I certainly hope that more games don't follow the route where a good satisfying grind becomes impossible, just like I hope less games will make a long tedious grind mandatory.

I also would hate to see RPGs become exclusively skill based. I don't play games to be punished, if I wanted to be punished for my slow reaction times and poor hand eye coordination I'd play Ninja Gaiden... or basketball. There's already plenty of games out there that are geared toward people with impossibly quick reflexes, lets have at least a few RPGs that stay in the realm of normal people's abilities! The reason I like RPGs now is because they're an experience more than a competition.

I think what he means by "skill-based" is where you develop your abilities individually rather than have them increase with each level. At least, that's what I think he means.

SophinaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SophinaK
Member since 2006 • 990 Posts

I think what he means by "skill-based" is where you develop your abilities individually rather than have them increase with each level. At least, that's what I think he means.

Oilers99

Oh thank goodness! :P Now that I wouldn't mind at all!

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 DJ_Lae

I think what he means by "skill-based" is where you develop your abilities individually rather than have them increase with each level. At least, that's what I think he means.Oilers99

More or less. I don't have a problem with earning character abilities - maybe you get points to spend on them, or learn them from items, or just find them scattered around, or buy them, or whatever.

Since the leveling in an RPG is kind of arbitrary anyway I'd rather they concentrate on making battles more strategic - maybe you need to equip certain items in an area in order to take advantage of an enemy's weakness. FFX kind of did this (almost excessively) by making certain enemies weak to a particular character's attack. Unfortunately, it also made some characters redundant.

I like the idea because it means that rethinking your battle plan is the solution for a boss that killed you, not going to the previous area and running in circles until you have more hitpoints. Lots of RPGs do have some option for strategy, of course, but it's often overshadowed by the mindless ability to grind a few levels and overcome all the obstacles through sheer force.

Then again, maybe that's a valid gameplay option. It just means that any effort the developers put into the more subtle parts of the game is wasted.

Soothsayerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Soothsayerr
Member since 2006 • 196 Posts

Grinding isn't a big deal to me in WoW. I bot. Like everyone else.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 DJ_Lae

Grinding isn't a big deal to me in WoW. I bot. Like everyone else.

Soothsayerr

Really? WoW has become more broken than I had thought, then.

_AbBaNdOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

#29 _AbBaNdOn
Member since 2005 • 6518 Posts
I was just going to say that grind haters were treading painfully close to becoming cheating bot using losers who do nothing but bring a game DOWN. If you have to bot or cheat to skip grinding just SKIP THE WHOLE FREAKING GAME!! Those guys use the excuse that they just dont wanna waste the time to earn the powers they gain and that their 15$ a month is the same as mine and can play however they want, BUT we all know it ruins the community, it ruins the in game economy, and it quickly ruins the game as the developers have to make content for artificially inflated characters.
TFrieden0928

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#30 TFrieden0928
Member since 2007 • 324 Posts
its not bad, its just painstakingly long sometimes, its just good to see your characters get stronger and being rewarded for your time, but its the best way to learn the battle system and if its fun, there is no point in complaining, the only time when i hate grinding is when you attain a level and it gives mimnal reward even though it took like 45min to get it, and the enemies are still strong making you grind even more such as games like Dragon quest VIII, but when well implemented, its fun, it may seem long but its really just 10-20 mins per level.
iam2green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 iam2green
Member since 2007 • 13991 Posts

i don't mind it reealy, heres a suggestion i found, make the game have a small window then put a video or something on the background.

i can do it a little bit at a time, i like doing it as a ice mage, that is fun; circling around then frost nova, blizard, cyclone, redo.

Taloskai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#32 Taloskai
Member since 2006 • 188 Posts

This is why I like RPGs like Baldur's gate, it's more about quests, storyline and diffrent skills other than killing.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#33 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
it depends on the game really. i dont mind grinding if the game offers enough noticable rewards for my efforts. new abilities, strategies, or cool looking gear is welcome. a measly stat bonus and lots of money i dont need anymore are not.