Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

Yakuza 5 came out in 2012 for Japan, many of us outside Japan were excited too for the new Yakuza game. But then time kept going forward and days turned into weeks then to months then to years and not a word from Sega about the game's localization.

We sent letters, we made petitions, we spammed their facebook and twitter only to be told by Sega that there were no plans because the game was too big, it had too much text to translate, localization was going to be expensive, Dead Souls sold like crap, there was no interest in the franchise, etc. Everything they said was true and because of it many fans, like me, gave up on the dream of Yakuza 5 ever being localized.

The most hardcore fans kept going forward without ever looking back. If Sega wasn't going to listen then they would somehow make them to listen. Fans went to Operation Rainfall for help but Sega rejected their offer of a cheaper localization team.

Just when even the most hardcore fans were losing faith Sony created the "Third Party Production", a division dedicated to discover what the fans want to see on PlayStation systems. Yakuza fans didn't waste any time and started to rally them up with Yakuza 5 petitions. Somehow the fans made Yakuza 5 (Suikoden II too!) the first on the list of Sony's #Buildingthelist campaign, and after years of petitioning for it... Sony delivered to us today (12/6/2014).

Now I just want to give thanks to Sony for listening, thanks to the Yakuza fans that never stopped fighting to keep the dream alive and Sega...

F*CK Y**

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

Loading Video...
Avatar image for deactivated-5d78760d7d740
deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 deactivated-5d78760d7d740
Member since 2009 • 16386 Posts

But why only PS3? Why not just release it for PS4 too?

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

Maybe if the yakuza series did well for once the interest from corporate in a shenmue 3 could become reality.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

The game will sell like crap since it's not an easy series to get into. Cut-scenes are plenty and long, and not to mention lots of text too. The reviews will be bad by default because this series is pure old-school goodness in design. I'd be surprised if Gamespot rates it higher than a 6/10.

Gameplay it's like you blend Final Fight with JRPG mechanics like random encounters (there's lots of fighting to the point some people just can't stand it), collectibles, side-quests, stat building and levels, equipment, etc. Oh, and a shit ton of mini-games like traditional Japanese games, gambling, dating, darts, host clubs, pool, pong, golf, hunting, racing, karaoke, a few old-school arcade games like Virtua Fighter that you play in a virtual arcade, etc.

The story is always ultra convoluted, melodramatic and badly written but crazy, over the top and just fun! You never know what to expect. The conspiracy goes from corrupt government to FBI, secret organizations, the army, drug dealers and shit you wouldn't even imagine. But the Dragon of Dojima, Kiryu Kazuma, is always there to fix everything with nothing but his fists!

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

i should play Yakuza games I have. I think I have till 3.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 20837 Posts

Congrats, I know a lot of people have wanted it to be localized for a long time. It also gives me hope that maybe Rodea: The Sky Soldier might get a western release too, though that one isn't a SEGA game.

As for Yakuza, I was once told that the gameplay in these were similar to Streets of Rage, but I don't buy that for a second. Still, I might get this one since I never use my ps3 for anything except for playing ps1 games.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

Boo

I wanted that Yakuza game set in old timey japan. That game looked really cool.

With Yakuza 5, I bet I'll have to play all the previous games just to find out what the heck is going on.

SakusEnvoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SakusEnvoy
Member since 2009 • 4764 Posts

@XVision84 said:

Honestly we're lucky if niche gems like Yakuza get localized at all, much less ported to a system with a completely different architecture. Moving an old game from PS3 to PS4 would cost even more time and money with only questionable benefit in terms of sales to make up for it.

If it does well enough, though, there would be hope for Yakuza Zero to follow on PS4 in 2016.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d78760d7d740
deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10  Edited By deactivated-5d78760d7d740
Member since 2009 • 16386 Posts

@SakusEnvoy said:

@XVision84 said:

Honestly we're lucky if gems like Yakuza get localized at all, much less ported to a system with a completely different architecture. Moving an old game from PS3 to PS4 would cost even more time and money with only questionable benefit in terms of sales to make up for it.

If it does well enough, though, there would be hope for Yakuza Zero to follow on PS4 in 2016.

Fair enough. I only wonder because I'm interested in Yakuza and if it were to come out for PS4 I would definitely look into it.