I don't get why Metal Gear Solid has a solid fanbase...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4259 Posts

Or what's so good about the game. I want to get into this series, but I want someone to convince me as to why this series has such a good reputation and such.

Thanks for any answers, I'll decide if playing as snake the old man is good or overrated.

Avatar image for almasdeathchild
almasdeathchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 almasdeathchild
Member since 2011 • 8922 Posts

their and alright series that atleast deserves a play. but yea it's very overrated

RandoIph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 RandoIph
Member since 2010 • 2041 Posts
What are the benefits to me in convincing you?
Avatar image for thedarklinglord
thedarklinglord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 thedarklinglord
Member since 2003 • 1106 Posts

I think when the original Metal Gear Solid came out on the PS1, it was probably one of the most cinematic games to date, an epic effort at elevating storytelling in video games - outside RPGs, anyway - through both gameplay and cutscenes (though, the story was horribly muddled and pretty nonsensical at times), and offered some fairly diverse gameplay in terms of stealth, action, shooter, and puzzler. In fact, I think it was in arguably the best stealth/action game at the time, providing players with a fairly immersive experience. It really was the equivalent of a blockbuster movie in game format. With MGS2 and MGS3 on the PS2, the series didn't really reinvent itself, but it did refine the formula and provided an even more polished cinematic experience. It's pretty slick gameplay and an almost perfect blend of stealth/action in that you could, in most instances, play it however you wanted, sneaking or killing or a mix of both. Of course, a lot of games borrowed and imitated, to varying degrees of success (or failure), but I think the fanbase established with the original MGS have remained loyal, staunch defenders of the series, and it's probably their fanaticism that gives the series its reputation more than anything else.

They're decent, fun games, but not everyone is going to feel they're as awesome as the fans would have you believe. But that's true of all series; you play it and either understand the mad love and devotion or you remain completely baffled by what anyone sees in the games to make them worthy of such fanatical praise.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#5 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
I'm assuming you tried playing any of the MGS games, yes? If after that you don't get why MGS is good, maybe you should stick with games like Bayonetta.
Avatar image for almasdeathchild
almasdeathchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 almasdeathchild
Member since 2011 • 8922 Posts

I'm assuming you tried playing any of the MGS games, yes? If after that you don't get why MGS is good, maybe you should stick with games like Bayonetta.Black_Knight_00
eh no thats a horrible game :lol:

razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 razgriz_101
Member since 2007 • 16875 Posts

I love the series personally been playing since MGS1.Its got a solid fanbase because they are generally good games and replayable if your going for titles aswell :P

MGS4 got bandwagoned something heavily on here, and lamented as the best by some folks round here but to be honest its the weakest.

DyranLK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DyranLK
Member since 2011 • 104 Posts

It all comes down to personal preference, really, lol. Although MGS4 should be a great game in its own right, though. Not sure if it was too deserving of a 10, but in terms of a seamless blend of gameplay and a cinematic experience, it was practically the pinnacle of it.

Still, it's not all that overrated, imo. In Gamerankings, it's not even in the Top 15, if I recall correctly; in regard to its fanbase, though, it should be pretty obvious. For most people, they've felt like they've grown alongside Snake and the rest of the cast of characters and, over the decade or so, after playing through each MGS game, they end up growing really attached to it, and with the release of MGS4, I suppose it was the kind of game that all of the fans were hoping for and then some, thus giving it the high, critical acclaim it was known for.

So for the most part, the MGS series is received in pretty polarizing levels, lol; sometimes, it almost feels like you either hate it or love it, although I wouldn't be too surprised if there was someone that just simply found the games unimpressive at any unbiased, technical standpoint.

But nonetheless..:P

Justin_G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Justin_G
Member since 2004 • 202 Posts

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]I'm assuming you tried playing any of the MGS games, yes? If after that you don't get why MGS is good, maybe you should stick with games like Bayonetta.almasdeathchild

so was Devil May Cry, God of War and any other third person action game? well, glad to realize the truth about these games. i really thought they were games that were games with game like qualities that are shared with other games... not just... make believe fictions of waht i think games are to my idea of design.

more COD anyone? COD 3 was the better then Black Ops and Modern Warfare 2!1

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
Either you like the game or you don't. Personally I think the series is alright, not my favorite but not the worst games I've played. It's all a matter of taste.
Avatar image for deactivated-5d4b602d21842
deactivated-5d4b602d21842

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11 deactivated-5d4b602d21842
Member since 2006 • 5036 Posts

These games are by no means my favorite, but to be simple and to the point people like them because:

-Fluid stealth gameplay
-Polished experience
-Deep story filled with espionage, thrills, and twists.
-Amazing boss fights (seriously, MGS3 has some of the best of all time)
-A stark variety of characters, some insanely warped... others smooth and collected.

In my opinion I find these games a bit to muddled for my own taste. The story is hard to follow and often goes down awkwardly weird paths with completely insane climax points. All relative however! To each their own!

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]I'm assuming you tried playing any of the MGS games, yes? If after that you don't get why MGS is good, maybe you should stick with games like Bayonetta.almasdeathchild

Yeah, that was the idea
Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Ilovegames1992
Member since 2010 • 14221 Posts

Its amazing, that's why.

bluedeathking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 bluedeathking
Member since 2009 • 493 Posts
it come down what some poeple like and dont like. for example i think cod series, halo series, and elder scrolls series are overrated. i love mgs didnt get into it till after ssbb and wanted to see what was snake really all about. so after research and playing the games in order when they came out i fell in love with mg mg2 mgs and mgs3 but hated mgs2 and mgs4. people have different opinion on the serie that ive seen and it not really for everyone. to me the story is a nice military sci-fi story set in a modern day era with a little anime style story telling. gameplay was a nice change from action adventure and fps in my opinion.
QuistisTrepe_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 QuistisTrepe_
Member since 2010 • 4121 Posts

Yeah? The same can be said for many other gaming franchises too. Congrats on having an opinion, you're unique like everyone else.

Celldrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Celldrax
Member since 2005 • 15053 Posts

I'm sure there's probably a liquid fan base as well...

chaoz-king

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 chaoz-king
Member since 2005 • 5956 Posts
At the time of MGS1 it was pretty new and fresh for me. I then just got wrapped up into the story.
greenskittles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 greenskittles
Member since 2011 • 661 Posts

Alright I'll keep it short and simple and please tell me if this has conviced you :)

1. Unique stealth gameplay which is different and evolved from each installment

2. The boss fights are truly the last greats of their kind

3. Narratives which can blow your mind in terms of craziness, especially 2

4.Lengthy and beautifully paced single-player experiences

5. An amazing blend of film and game with deep themes, laced with emotion and action

I've finished the great games of Final Fantasy, Mass Effect, Half Life, Mario, Zelda, Resident Evil and modern classics like Shadow of the Colossus and to be perfectly honest, none of these franchises comes close.

The critisms of the overtly complex storylines and controls hold some truth yet they are wholly outweighed by masterful singleplayer experiences. If you haven't played through a Metal Gear game (preferably 3 at least) then your life is dimished.

23Jarek23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 23Jarek23
Member since 2009 • 2647 Posts

What's the point in convincing you? some games just aren't for some people, don't know why you can't accept that and move on to whatever it is you do like. Gears or war is insanely popular but I think it's awful, there's no need for me to ask why I should like it...I just don't, simple...

iHarlequin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 iHarlequin
Member since 2011 • 1928 Posts

I was sincerely disappointed with the fourth installment, but I liked the other ones.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#21 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
Why don't you play it for yourself? Start with MGS1.
CHOASXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 CHOASXIII
Member since 2009 • 14716 Posts

MGS is an awesome series. I think personally the best game out of the series is the 3rd one.

jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 jasonharris48
Member since 2006 • 21441 Posts

The gameplay is good, good cast of characters, the overall plot may be convuluted, but it's interesting and enjoyable. You should out the series starting off with one. My personal favorites are MGS3, Peace Walker, MGS1

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4259 Posts

Alright I'll keep it short and simple and please tell me if this has conviced you :)

1. Unique stealth gameplay which is different and evolved from each installment

2. The boss fights are truly the last greats of their kind

3. Narratives which can blow your mind in terms of craziness, especially 2

4.Lengthy and beautifully paced single-player experiences

5. An amazing blend of film and game with deep themes, laced with emotion and action

I've finished the great games of Final Fantasy, Mass Effect, Half Life, Mario, Zelda, Resident Evil and modern classics like Shadow of the Colossus and to be perfectly honest, none of these franchises comes close.

The critisms of the overtly complex storylines and controls hold some truth yet they are wholly outweighed by masterful singleplayer experiences. If you haven't played through a Metal Gear game (preferably 3 at least) then your life is dimished.

greenskittles
I'm still not convinced. Sorry. But I want to try the next MGS game. Maybe I MIGHT get into it.
coolhady13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 coolhady13
Member since 2009 • 62 Posts

I'm still not convinced. Sorry. But I want to try the next MGS game. Maybe I MIGHT get into it. outworld222

its the best game of all time , i had a ps1 finished metal gear solid 1 then i bought a ps2 specialy for solid 2 and 3 and im buying a ps3 next month for metal gear solid 4 ,but dont get fooled with metal gear rising its not part of the main series and got a hacknslash style. anyway give metal gear solid 3 a try then you will know why metal gear has a solid fanbase :D you may even endup one of the fans :D

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#26 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

A lot of people like MGS because of Solid Snake. A lot of him think of him as a complete badass. A lot of men want to be like him, a lot of women want to be with him. It's really that simple.

Seriously though, a lot of people like Snake. There's also a good storyline to follow, but I think, somewhere along the way, it got a bit lost and the series slowly turned out to be this movie affair that offered bits and pieces of gameplay every now and then. Still, it's a fun ride if you don't take it seriously. My favorite, of all the MGS games, will always be MGS1. Too bad it's nowhere in the MGS HD Collection...*sighs*

TangoGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 TangoGamer
Member since 2011 • 81 Posts

well I know, it's nostalgia, if you played the ps1, the first MGS, you would become MGS fun for ever, if not , except for some exceptional boss fighting, it won't appeal too much to you, you should have played the older MGSs and be familiar with, love, it's word. Otherwise it won't be that supreme game Gamespot talks about, neither as a stealth game nor as a shooter.

Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Ilovegames1992

A lot of people like MGS because of Solid Snake. A lot of him think of him as a complete badass. A lot of men want to be like him, a lot of women want to be with him. It's really that simple.

Seriously though, a lot of people like Snake. There's also a good storyline to follow, but I think, somewhere along the way, it got a bit lost and the series slowly turned out to be this movie affair that offered bits and pieces of gameplay every now and then. Still, it's a fun ride if you don't take it seriously. My favorite, of all the MGS games, will always be MGS1. Too bad it's nowhere in the MGS HD Collection...*sighs*

Metamania

The fact MGS 1 isn't in the collection makes me shed bucketloads.

And the best character in the MGS series is Revolver Ocelot. By a long way. Snake is cool though.

TentacleMayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 TentacleMayor
Member since 2008 • 1469 Posts
They are exquisitely designed games with a distinct atmosphere, memorable characters and finely crafted gameplay. I can see why a hardcore gamer would be annoyed by the large number and length of cutscenes, especially in MGS2 and 4. For them, there's the expansions like Substance. I recommend playing them in order from MGS1, though they aren't chronologically arranged. I played MGS2 recently and found it's aged very well.
MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17679 Posts
I'm assuming you tried playing any of the MGS games, yes? If after that you don't get why MGS is good, maybe you should stick with games like Bayonetta.Black_Knight_00
You told me the exact same thing when I expressed my feelings for MGS4 in another thread. Look, stop generalizing. Just because somebody doesn't care for the type of game MGS is doesn't mean they have the attention span of a 6 year old and should play other games accordingly.
Avatar image for thedarklinglord
thedarklinglord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 thedarklinglord
Member since 2003 • 1106 Posts

A lot of people like MGS because of Solid Snake.Metamania

I kinda hate Solid Snake, but I still like the series. Replaying MGS1 recently, I found Snake to be a pretty insufferable douche. I know they were probably aiming for him to be a suave, James Bondian ladies' man, but he comes across more as a smarmy, chauvanistic fratboy. And once I made that comparison, became even more intolerable whenever Snake would get angry, because it made me think he had 'roid rage the way he got all intense, like he was about to Hulk out or something. I mean, he has some good moments throughout the series but, for me, he never quite reaches a level of charisma that makes him as appealing a protagonist as he should be. (Though, pairing him with Raiden was a smart move, because Snake seems infinitely cooler and less douchey when compared to Raiden.)

Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Ilovegames1992

[QUOTE="Metamania"]A lot of people like MGS because of Solid Snake.thedarklinglord

I kinda hate Solid Snake, but I still like the series. Replaying MGS1 recently, I found Snake to be a pretty insufferable douche. I know they were probably aiming for him to be a suave, James Bondian ladies' man, but he comes across more as a smarmy, chauvanistic fratboy. And once I made that comparison, became even more intolerable whenever Snake would get angry, because it made me think he had 'roid rage the way he got all intense, like he was about to Hulk out or something. I mean, he has some good moments throughout the series but, for me, he never quite reaches a level of charisma that makes him as appealing a protagonist as he should be. (Though, pairing him with Raiden was a smart move, because Snake seems infinitely cooler and less douchey when compared to Raiden.)

One thing that annoys me is that 90% of his dialogue is asking questions using words in the sentence he reacted to.

E.g

DARPA Cheif: Metal Gear Rex

Snake: Metal Gear?

:lol:

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

This series is like any other long running franchise. You either like the Metal Gear Universe or hate it. You could put in "Halo" "Final Fantasy" "Resident Evil" "Mario" "COD" etc.

Some people just love Snake and the bizzare storylines. Stealth game play. It is impossible to convince anyone who is not into Metal Gear series why some people love it. (or any other videogame franchise) You either like it or hate it.

jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 jasonharris48
Member since 2006 • 21441 Posts

Huh, I don't get it? There's nothing wrong with Bayonetta aka the best Action game to come out since Ninja Gaiden 1 and Devil May Cry 3.

Avatar image for JoeInWonderland
JoeInWonderland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 JoeInWonderland
Member since 2012 • 112 Posts

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]I'm assuming you tried playing any of the MGS games, yes? If after that you don't get why MGS is good, maybe you should stick with games like Bayonetta.jasonharris48

Huh, I don't get it? There's nothing wrong with Bayonetta aka the best Action game to come out since Ninja Gaiden 1 and Devil May Cry 3.

THIS. LOVE Bayonetta; crazy yet simple action packed gameplay combined with gratuitiious sexuality by an over the top bawdy Brit... Umm, yes please? And make it a double! lol But anyway, I personally don't like Metal Gear Solid. It's not TERRIBLE and I understand the respect it upholds in its following, but I never liked stealth games either so..
Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#36 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44363 Posts

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]I'm assuming you tried playing any of the MGS games, yes? If after that you don't get why MGS is good, maybe you should stick with games like Bayonetta.jasonharris48

Yeah I don't get it either, Bayonetta was a fantastic game.
Justin_G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Justin_G
Member since 2004 • 202 Posts

yes. it was. reminded me of Sega games of old. (both literally and figeratively)

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 arkephonic
Member since 2006 • 7221 Posts

Resident Evil and Metal Gear Solid are my 2 favorite video game franchises. Metal Gear Solid is not a game that you can just jump into. Many people hate it because they simply don't understand it. It is quite common for people to dislike things they do not understand. There is a lot of content to be found within the series, and only the dedicated fans like me who have been playing the series since it's inception truely understand why it is so great.

gpuFX16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 gpuFX16
Member since 2006 • 1296 Posts

I find it hard to call out any game or franchise as bad, mediocre, unless there are some serious isses preventing normal progress. As far as Metal Gear goes, I liked it more for the gameplay than anything else. I always get a lot of replay value out of the games since there's different ways to approach the combat situations. MGS3 remains my favorite of the bunch.

At the end of it all, people are going to have opinions regardless, so if you or anyone else does'nt see the appeal, then that's ok. People have different tastes.