I am not happy at ALL with what 343 Studios has done with Halo4

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

User Lists: 0

#1 Kevlar101
Member since 2011 • 6316 Posts
I read the report on Halo 4 in Gameinformer magazine. I am not happy with it. What I like: The direction that Campaign is going, I like that they are returning to the chiefs story, i liked ODST, and Reach, but it was time to get back on track. Now, the fact that the Covenant plays yet another role in this game may seem to go against new feel, but there is also going to be a whole new set of enemies with their own special abilities. This is cool, and I am very pleased with how campaign looks to turn out. But, my favorite video game multiplayer ever, seems to have been screwed up by 343. Now, some armor abilities return, and sprint is now an ability you ALWAYS have, and the multiplayer formula seems pretty good, and just what many Halo fans like out of it. But, it took a turn for the worst when I found out 2 things: no Firefight. Firefight has become a standard in Halo games, and there were still some areas that could have been improved on, but they got rid of it. And the worst of it all: There is this new multiplayer experience that is truly awesome, but it fails. It can only be played if you have Xbox LIVE, and for those who do not have it, you cant play it. You will go through training with other players, then will be sent on weekly missions with them, and the missions are separated into seasons, so every week, you will get the new part of the storyline. Yep, STORYLINE. It is a secondary campaign. What a load of crap.This means that they will lose focus on primary campaign. I hate the idea of the spartan missions and no Firefight. And, they are copying Call of Dutys Scoring and ranking system. Yay. 343, you are going to fail with Halo 4. Firefight is gone, multiplayer is ruined, and campaign is all players like me have left, and that MIGHT suck, but only if 343 gets distracted from it for the spartan story thing.
Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts

But it's going to have Kinect support... who cares what it looks or plays like?

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#3 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
The series should have ended 4 games (and one remake) ago with Halo 3, but microsoft realized they have a grand total of 2 exclusives (Halo and Gears) and they couldn't afford to lose one
Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44323 Posts
While I'm definitely disappointed that they got rid of Firefight everything else sounds good to me. This is my most anticipated title for 2012.
Yusuke420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 Yusuke420
Member since 2012 • 2770 Posts

The series should have ended 4 games (and one remake) ago with Halo 3, but microsoft realized they have a grand total of 2 exclusives (Halo and Gears) and they couldn't afford to lose oneBlack_Knight_00
Why does everyone forget Forza Motorsport?

contracts420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 contracts420
Member since 2008 • 1956 Posts

To be honest I am hoping for 343 to make a Halo game that will truly live up to the insane praise that the series has garnered. Bungie was pretty bland, the environments in Reach felt like they had little to no history to them. Everything looked so clean even in a warzone, the environments lacked detail, very few objects in each level. It never felt like a real place with a history that has been lived in.

Everything looked mediocre. The sound design left something to be desired. The characters have about as much life and personality to them as Sev and Rico from the Killzone series, most of the weapons felt like they lacked impact (althought that sniper rifle is just awesome) the enemies never left me feeling like they were a threat, little cute aliens running around squeeking at you with bright blue/purple plasma grenades and jumping up and down like they are at a birthday party.

To be honest the only area where I felt those games had anything worth noting was the multiplayer, but the maps seem like they were designed by 6 year olds. The same base on both sides, a stream through the middle, some boulders sticking out of the ground, and pretty much the same weapons on both sides. Seems like a pretty half a**'d way to go about it. Esp considering the praise this series and developer has received over its multiplayer offerings.

I truly believe the level designers and multiplayer map designers at Bungie are about as useful as a calculator to a blind man. Although I will give some praise due to a great physics engine in place, the forge mode is fantastic and brings much to the multiplayer side of the game.

In terms of story and atmoshpere, Halo ODST seems to be the best in the series thus far, and easily the most engaging. By switching you from character to character and giving different points of view to the same war and the lack of hope found just by looking at the setting. That sense of loneliness in some scenes showed me that their is a sliver of hope for the series.

contracts420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 contracts420
Member since 2008 • 1956 Posts

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]The series should have ended 4 games (and one remake) ago with Halo 3, but microsoft realized they have a grand total of 2 exclusives (Halo and Gears) and they couldn't afford to lose oneYusuke420

I don't really understand this either. Esp considering the Forza Motorsport series is easily the best racing sim on consoles at the moment. A great series which gets plenty of praise, however some seem to skip over it when bringing up Microsoft exclusive franchises.

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]The series should have ended 4 games (and one remake) ago with Halo 3, but microsoft realized they have a grand total of 2 exclusives (Halo and Gears) and they couldn't afford to lose oneYusuke420

Simple: it's a racing game.

tomo90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 tomo90
Member since 2005 • 2245 Posts

[QUOTE="Yusuke420"]

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]The series should have ended 4 games (and one remake) ago with Halo 3, but microsoft realized they have a grand total of 2 exclusives (Halo and Gears) and they couldn't afford to lose oneVari3ty

And even easier to forget - Project Gotham Racing.
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Black_Knight_00

[QUOTE="Yusuke420"]

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]The series should have ended 4 games (and one remake) ago with Halo 3, but microsoft realized they have a grand total of 2 exclusives (Halo and Gears) and they couldn't afford to lose oneVari3ty

Exactly. Rcaing games are cool, but seen one seen them all
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Black_Knight_00
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#12 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

[QUOTE="Vari3ty"]

[QUOTE="Yusuke420"] Why does everyone forget Forza Motorsport?

Black_Knight_00

Exactly. Rcaing games are cool, but seen one seen them all

And yet, a few of them stand out, even if they are sports games. Also, I think some of you missed the point on his question.

Forza is also one of Microsoft's exclusive franchises. I think it's been that way since the original. It's also very successful. If they lose Forza, it could be a huge loss.

Back to the main OP though; I'm disappointed about Firefight not being there either. I loved Firefight in ODST and in Reach, but even so, I'm going to enjoy Halo 4 for the campaign, I feel. I don't play much multiplayer, so it doesn't bother me as much, really.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Metamania

Another quick note...if I wanted to play Firefight, I would just buy ODST or Reach (I don't believe Halo Anniversary CE has it, so someone please correct me if it does). Problem solved.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44323 Posts

Another quick note...if I wanted to play Firefight, I would just buy ODST or Reach (I don't believe Halo Anniversary CE has it, so someone please correct me if it does). Problem solved.

Metamania
I can never understand this line of thinking myself. I want to play Firefight but I want to do so using Halo 4 assets ie. enemies, weapons, environments, etc. not to mention whatever various changes or enhancements they might have come up with had they implemented this game mode. Going back to an older game to play a mode you like doesn't solve the problem at all.
Yusuke420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Yusuke420

Firefight was fun, but this is a step for the series to evolve. They are replacing it with spartan ops and for all we know this could be really awesome. I'm totally in wait and see mode, but it could be just the thing that puts htis new game over the top.

Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#16 Kevlar101
Member since 2011 • 6316 Posts

Firefight was fun, but this is a step for the series to evolve. They are replacing it with spartan ops and for all we know this could be really awesome. I'm totally in wait and see mode, but it could be just the thing that puts htis new game over the top.

Yusuke420
Spartan Ops sounds AWESOME, but to those who cannot get or receive Xbox LIVE, their multiplayer experience will be shaved down big time.
IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#17 IndianaPwns39
Member since 2008 • 5037 Posts

They dropped Firefight?

Well. This is disappointing.

MathMattS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#18 MathMattS
Member since 2009 • 4012 Posts

I'm thrilled about Halo 4. The multiplayer doesn't matter much to me, as I'm more into the campaign, story, and settings, and so I'm excited.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Metamania

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

Archangel3371

I can never understand this line of thinking myself. I want to play Firefight but I want to do so using Halo 4 assets ie. enemies, weapons, environments, etc. not to mention whatever various changes or enhancements they might have come up with had they implemented this game mode. Going back to an older game to play a mode you like doesn't solve the problem at all.

It's better than not having Firefight at all. That's how I see it, even if the game is an older version.

brucecambell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 brucecambell
Member since 2011 • 1489 Posts

To be honest I am hoping for 343 to make a Halo game that will truly live up to the insane praise that the series has garnered. Bungie was pretty bland, the environments in Reach felt like they had little to no history to them. Everything looked so clean even in a warzone, the environments lacked detail, very few objects in each level. It never felt like a real place with a history that has been lived in.

Everything looked mediocre. The sound design left something to be desired. The characters have about as much life and personality to them as Sev and Rico from the Killzone series, most of the weapons felt like they lacked impact (althought that sniper rifle is just awesome) the enemies never left me feeling like they were a threat, little cute aliens running around squeeking at you with bright blue/purple plasma grenades and jumping up and down like they are at a birthday party.

To be honest the only area where I felt those games had anything worth noting was the multiplayer, but the maps seem like they were designed by 6 year olds. The same base on both sides, a stream through the middle, some boulders sticking out of the ground, and pretty much the same weapons on both sides. Seems like a pretty half a**'d way to go about it. Esp considering the praise this series and developer has received over its multiplayer offerings.

contracts420

This

Also i would trust 343 to make a good Halo game more than i would Bungie. I dont feel like Bungie as evolved over the years. They were a one trick Pony ( That trick was never that great in the 1st place btw ) that got by solely on the Halo name & the praise of the original Halo.

Now i dont need another Halo game in my collection, i have enough, i still think 343 will make the best Halo game yet. The talent behind 343 has much more, & much better experience with a variety of games. I have a feeling they will put Bungie & the rest of the Halo games to shame.

HAMMERCLAW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 HAMMERCLAW
Member since 2011 • 55 Posts

How can anyone be happy or unhappy with something they haven't actually seen? Are they psychic or just psychotic? For those that don't want another Halo, fine; we won't require you to buy and play the game. Happy now?

IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#22 IndianaPwns39
Member since 2008 • 5037 Posts

How can anyone be happy or unhappy with something they haven't actually seen? Are they psychic or just psychotic? For those that don't want another Halo, fine; we won't require you to buy and play the game. Happy now?

HAMMERCLAW

Halo 4 may turn out to be great, but you can make solid predictions given the information we already have.

For example, I dislike that Firefight is gone. Legitimate complaint.

brucecambell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 brucecambell
Member since 2011 • 1489 Posts

And, they are copying Call of Dutys Scoring and ranking system. Kevlar101

halo-call-of-duty.jpg

chilly-chill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24 chilly-chill
Member since 2010 • 8902 Posts

HAMMERCLAW
They are legitimate complaints. Judging from the information released about the game, people can make decent predictions... Quit the b!tching.
Yusuke420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Yusuke420

If they are going to try and make the franchise their own, somethings aren't going to come along for the ride. As of right now, there's no indication that Forge or Theater will be apart of this game either, which I believe are much more significant.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Metamania

If they are going to try and make the franchise their own, somethings aren't going to come along for the ride. As of right now, there's no indication that Forge or Theater will be apart of this game either, which I believe are much more significant.

Yusuke420

To be truthful, I really didn't spend that much in Forge or Theater for Halo, most of the time was spent in the single-player campaign or sometimes in multiplayer.

EspiNY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 EspiNY
Member since 2012 • 28 Posts

Halo 3 and Reach are awful (Reach is awful in terms of campaign and multiplayer) but Bungie gets a free pass.

No one has even played Halo 4 and it's already the worst game ever.

Bungie made one good Halo game let's be serious here

EspiNY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 EspiNY
Member since 2012 • 28 Posts

Yusuke420

They mentioned Forge would be in the game but they couldn't go into details yet.

No one even cares about Theater mode since Bungie screwed it up in Reach (but again, let's give Bungie a free pass for making one good Halo!) but I'm sure it'll be in.

11Marcel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 11Marcel
Member since 2004 • 7241 Posts

Well, it is a new developer taking on an existing franchise. If they'd keep all the original stuff in, and still wanted to have some quality to it, they couldn't do anything new. And then the obvious reaction from everyone would be "rehash". At least give them a chance to add their own flavour to it.

As for halo's past, it's pretty damn great. Now looking back at the games they don't seem so spectacular, but then again going back to play half life 2 now is borderline cringeworthy. At the time it was one of the best fps franchises out there, and it'll probably be remembered as such. You can't really fault bungie for what they did with the franchise, and it'll probably be pretty damn difficult for 343 to stand out. While there's still a lot to add or change, there's also a lot that can be messed up.

Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Dracula68
Member since 2002 • 33109 Posts

But it's going to have Kinect support... who cares what it looks or plays like?

Shame-usBlackley
Priceless :lol:
punkpunker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 punkpunker
Member since 2006 • 3383 Posts

i'm gonna reserve my statments till i get the full game or a thorough review but dont like that they are going to make this into another trilogy, halo 4 is good enough for me as the cliffhanger on 3 needs explanation.

Overlord93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Overlord93
Member since 2007 • 12602 Posts
It's a completely new series. Remember. This is not a sequal. So yes, they are taking it away from how we know it. But that's better than just releasing another clone. If you don't like it, well you can leave it there, because you've alrready played all of the original halo franchise.
CrossChecked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 CrossChecked
Member since 2011 • 69 Posts

I love Halo, but Reach IMO was pretty awful. Nobody is giving 343 a chance. How does the multiplayer "fail" if your complaint is that it uses a different ranking system? Reach ranked how much you played, not how good you were. It needed to change, and the new way it works is a pretty good idea. Armor abilities are here to stay, and our new ability to make custom loadouts seems good.

And whats with all the no more Firefight complaining? It didnt work in Halo. Halo is not a game built around sitting back and defending, the design is more built for going out there and getting the bad guys. In the ridiculous amount of time I've played Reach I rarely touched Firefight. You were forced to sit back and fight with the DMR long range and if you attack you get punished by being mowed down immediately. With this new Spartan Ops mode, we're going to get maps specifically designed with 4 people in mind and made to play to Halo's strengths. If you really want a survival mode that bad, you can play the multitude of other games that feature them (I would recommend Gears of War 3).

People really need to take a chill pill and wait till we actually see the game in action before deciding what to think. It's strange, people complain when COD comes out and is virtually unchanged from last year, but when a game actually takes risks and changes things up people get upset and want things to stay the same.

HAMMERCLAW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 HAMMERCLAW
Member since 2011 • 55 Posts

Are they copying the CoD duck and heal system, too? Oops, Infinity Ward swiped that from Halo, didn't they?

Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts

play the game first then be unhappy

azshorty2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#36 azshorty2003
Member since 2004 • 4651 Posts
I'm not happy with what Bungie did after the first Halo. I welcome the change. Maybe I will start playing them again.
Jagged3dge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Jagged3dge
Member since 2008 • 3895 Posts

I love Halo, but Reach IMO was pretty awful. Nobody is giving 343 a chance. How does the multiplayer "fail" if your complaint is that it uses a different ranking system? Reach ranked how much you played, not how good you were. It needed to change, and the new way it works is a pretty good idea. Armor abilities are here to stay, and our new ability to make custom loadouts seems good.

And whats with all the no more Firefight complaining? It didnt work in Halo. Halo is not a game built around sitting back and defending, the design is more built for going out there and getting the bad guys. In the ridiculous amount of time I've played Reach I rarely touched Firefight. You were forced to sit back and fight with the DMR long range and if you attack you get punished by being mowed down immediately. With this new Spartan Ops mode, we're going to get maps specifically designed with 4 people in mind and made to play to Halo's strengths. If you really want a survival mode that bad, you can play the multitude of other games that feature them (I would recommend Gears of War 3).

People really need to take a chill pill and wait till we actually see the game in action before deciding what to think. It's strange, people complain when COD comes out and is virtually unchanged from last year, but when a game actually takes risks and changes things up people get upset and want things to stay the same.

CrossChecked

Not much more to add on to this.

Except that I'm honestly only checking out Halo 4 because its Halo. I've had some of my greatest multiplayer experiences playing the core Halo games (1,2,3). Reach was terrible and I must admit that I do dread armor abilities...However, I'm hopeful that the game will be great just due to the fact that its Halo.