Hunting and fishing questions for RDR 2.

#1 Posted by guerilla-man (54 posts) -

Okay I recently started a new game for RDR 2.

I am 26 % into the game and completed a few side missions and secret missions.

Now I need to find all the pelts. I hunted for a couple of legendary animals and sold and crafted to the trapper shop.

Now I got challenges to complete which is not easy to do.

They make these challenges so difficult to complete even when you really try hard to finish those challenges. The challenges are for the trapper to craft further items and hunt for legendary animals.

Is there an easy way to complete the dead eye 2 in one animal kill count? Because I try and kill two animals in one dead eye and Its so difficult.

I also try and fish for legendary fish and my reel does not seem to reel in ? I am not sure if it’s just impossible to reel in these sort of fish or just hard!

So I am gathering pelts in between main missions and side missions. Deer are extremely frustrating to try and lasso kill because they just run off when you sneak up on them .

I understand we need predator bait to hunt a panther.

Does anyone have a bit more tips on this?

I crafted game arrows to hunt squirells. And I need advanced arrows to hunt a bull to get a head shot on heavier animals.

Does any one have a solution with these issues?

Not sure if the fishing reel was a bug?

#2 Edited by SoNin360 (7051 posts) -

guerilla-man marked this as the best answer

I assume you're having trouble with the Dead Eye challenge because your Dead Eye isn't fully upgraded yet? After some upgrading you will be able to manually target stuff while staying in Dead Eye, and your Dead Eye should last for quite a while so you should have more than enough time to target 2 animals at once in these conditions.

I'm sure you'd have a much easier time lassoing a deer if you just chased them on your horse. As for the fishing... I'm not sure, haven't fished much in the game.

#3 Edited by Gamerno6666 (6619 posts) -

You need special lures to hunt for legendary fish. You can buy them from the Bait Shop in Lemoyne Region, from the merchant at Lake Lagras. Also you cannot hunt all the legendary fish and animals early in the game. You need to reach new austin to hunt for the rest of them.

#4 Edited by guerilla-man (54 posts) -

@Gamerno6666: Here is my problem the line keeps breaking. Is there a way where you can upgrade the fishing rod? If not how can I fish without my line constantly breaking?

#5 Posted by guerilla-man (54 posts) -

@SoNin360: Thank you for that bit of information. I had no idea I had to upgrade my dead eye. Does dead eye naturally upgrade by advancing further in the game? Or do you have to use dead eye often to upgrade it?

#6 Posted by guerilla-man (54 posts) -

Also another thing I wanted to ask...

The varmint rifle is used to hunt smaller animals like rabbits and rodents.

The normal hunting rifle you use regular ammo to hunt deer or elk to get a head shot for that perfect pelt.

The sniper rifle you use to hunt legendary animals.

Can anyone provide me a bit of info on the right weapons for the right animals? I understand with the squirell you need a game arrow. But a game arrow can be used for other animals small like that as well?

So I crafted 8 small game arrows and I need to hunt a few small animals. They would be good to hunt perfect racoon pelts,squirrels pelts and badger pelts.

Repeater will not work right? I got loads of this information as well in my book guide of red dead redemption 2. But would be great to hear more info on this.

#7 Posted by SoNin360 (7051 posts) -

@guerilla-man said:

@SoNin360: Thank you for that bit of information. I had no idea I had to upgrade my dead eye. Does dead eye naturally upgrade by advancing further in the game? Or do you have to use dead eye often to upgrade it?

It gets upgraded by progressing through the game at certain points.

As for hunting, the compendium should tell you what weapon(s) to use on animals for a clean kill, provided that you have studied them. You may already know, but the only way to get perfect pelts is to kill animals that have those 3 stars AND by killing them with a clean shot. Also, you can kill Legendary animals however you want since you'll get the same pelt out of them regardless. Anyway, for small animals the varmint rifle usually suffices but I think some may require using small game arrows.