How well have these classic Xbox games aged? Halo, Splintercell Chaos theory, and Knights of the old republic?

#1 Posted by DoomNukem3D (359 posts) -

Ninja Gaiden Black is one of my favorite games ever but I haven't touched much else of the original Xbox classics.

#2 Edited by Speeny (1862 posts) -

I still love Halo CE to this day & I consider it to be perfect. This is coming from someone who generally doesn't play FPS games either. :P

#3 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (19128 posts) -

I think they all hold up reasonably well...

#4 Edited by uninspiredcup (34272 posts) -

Chaos Theory holds up better than Double Agent, Conviction or Blacklist.

The only poor part of the game is when the player must bypass active fire-fights.

#5 Posted by Random_Matt (4287 posts) -

KOTOR was shit on the xbox originally, bugged and super low frame rate.

#6 Posted by RSM-HQ (8528 posts) -

Never played a good Star War game despite fans of the franchise saying otherwise. Star War fans are easily entertained and overvalue the games developed from my experience.

Metal Wolf Chaos is one of my favorite Xbox games but wouldn't put it over Ninja Gaiden: Black. Halo is really good too, though not without its own flaws.

#7 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (19128 posts) -

@Random_Matt said:

KOTOR was shit on the xbox originally, bugged and super low frame rate.

It runs very well on X... it's 4k etc.

#8 Edited by Macutchi (6845 posts) -

i didn't think halo had aged well when i played the anniversary edition several years ago. but then i found out it was made by 343 not bungie and i've not liked any halo game of theirs i've played so can't discount that.

chaos theory has aged really well. ubisoft could probably put out an original trilogy remaster at a relatively low cost and use it to gauge what to do with the franchise. if it sells really well, it's a good indicator that a reboot or "spiritual successor" would sell well too, if it doesn't they'd still probably recoup their investment. win win

#9 Edited by uninspiredcup (34272 posts) -

@Macutchi said:

i didn't think halo had aged well when i played the anniversary edition several years ago. but then i found out it was made by 343 not bungie and i've not liked any halo game of theirs i've played so can't discount that.

chaos theory has aged really well. ubisoft could probably put out an original trilogy remaster at a relatively low cost and use it to gauge what to do with the franchise. if it sells really well, it's a good indicator that a reboot or "spiritual successor" would sell well too, if it doesn't they'd still probably recoup their investment. win win

They released a remaster collection for Splinter Cell, you can also download the texture packs and mission pack for PC imported (check Steam Guides).

IMO they should have included the OG Double Agent with it, really good game, almost as good. Instead they flaunt that crappy other-version on digital store-fronts.

#10 Posted by DoomNukem3D (359 posts) -

@RSM-HQ: Not a Star Wars fan but I figured a Star Wars game could still be fun, and I see that game as a lot of peoples all time favorite.

#11 Posted by RSM-HQ (8528 posts) -

@doomnukem3d: A lot of people like games based around cosmetics. Nothing against it, like what you like.

Just pointing out the gameplay in all the Star War games I've played had much to be desired. One of which was vocally called the best 3D Hack n' Slash game on GD. I played it, forum user named it "excellent level design and combat we just don't see elsewhere" (ironically the person had a Storm Trooper PP). And I harshly disagreed. level Design was boxes and linear tunnels, with cliche combat mechanics with a loose and in-precise feel. Compare that to its non licence competition and it's a joke_

The RPG Star War games are namely praised on "lore"; which is not very important to me personally/ essential focus to a games quality. And again compare that towards non licence Action RPGs of its time. A joke_

So yes, not trying to be harsh to just Star War fanbois. Licence games in general usually stink. Star War fans tend to however be too close to the source material to have an unbias opinion. Just like Sonic the Hedgehog fans who defend the Dreamcast games and Sonic: Forces.

#12 Edited by nepu7supastar7 (5137 posts) -

@doomnukem3d:

These I've confirmed several months ago.

Halo 1 and 2: play like shįt.

Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory still plays great. On the same level as Metal Gear Solid 4 and 5.

Knights of the Old Republic: plays as good as Jade Empire. Which is terrible.

Project Gotham: both 1 and 2 play really well.

#13 Posted by DoomNukem3D (359 posts) -

@RSM-HQ: So as someone who's not a Star Wars fan these games have nothing to offer me lol. Too bad I thought the world of Star Waes was at least ripe for a game.

#14 Posted by DoomNukem3D (359 posts) -

I'm getting that Chaos theory is the safest bet, though I wanna give Halo a try just to see it for myself considering its legacy. I've lost interest in Kotor though.

#15 Posted by RSM-HQ (8528 posts) -
@doomnukem3d said:

@RSM-HQ: So as someone who's not a Star Wars fan these games have nothing to offer me lol. Too bad I thought the world of Star Waes was at least ripe for a game.

Maybe one day, but I haven't seen it work yet. I find those that enjoy Star War games are invested before playing because they're committed to the franchise.

Keep in mind Star War Kinect sold over five million copies despite many reviewers stating it's a terrible product and needing the Kinect itself, and locked on one system.

Just to put in perspective came out the same time as Dishonored, Mass Effect 3, Dragon's Dogma, Xcom (reboot), and Max Payne 3. And sold more than all of them.

Fans of Star Wars I recall also defending it, at least on gaming forums anyway.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
#16 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (21576 posts) -

Chaos Theory is as good today as it's always been.

#17 Posted by DoomNukem3D (359 posts) -

@Black_Knight_00: I'm already sold. Do I need to play the others first though?

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
#18 Edited by Black_Knight_00 (21576 posts) -
@doomnukem3d said:

@Black_Knight_00: I'm already sold. Do I need to play the others first though?

Not necessarily, they are fairly independent storylines. You can play the first 3 of them in any order really, there are a couple returning characters you won't recognize but that's no big deal in any way.

#19 Posted by robert_sparkes (3218 posts) -

Halo, splinter cell have aged well but knights of the old republic hasn't as well as I thought it would.

#20 Posted by DoomNukem3D (359 posts) -

@Black_Knight_00: ok thanks

#21 Edited by nepu7supastar7 (5137 posts) -

@Macutchi:

"i didn't think halo had aged well when i played the anniversary edition several years ago. but then i found out it was made by 343 not bungie and i've not liked any halo game of theirs i've played so can't discount that."

Halo Anniversary 1 and 2 are exactly the same as the original games. The only thing 343i added was a graphic and sound update. But the gameplay and everything else is the same as Bungie left it. So yeah, that counts.

#22 Posted by Macutchi (6845 posts) -
@nepu7supastar7 said:

@Macutchi:

"i didn't think halo had aged well when i played the anniversary edition several years ago. but then i found out it was made by 343 not bungie and i've not liked any halo game of theirs i've played so can't discount that."

Halo Anniversary 1 and 2 are exactly the same as the original games. The only thing 343i added was a graphic and sound update. But the gameplay and everything else is the same as Bungie left it. So yeah, that counts.

they're not exactly the same game at all. they remade the game. it wasn't a straight port. they reused elements but it's a remake

#24 Edited by nepu7supastar7 (5137 posts) -

@Macutchi:

You're technically right though. Anniversary sort of was remade but only so that the new graphic engine could function without bugs. The gameplay was to remain unchanged; while the original game had imbalanced elements, 343i decided to preserve the game experience players remembered.

"To solve the issues of transferring information from the original game's engine to the Saber engine, the developers looked at how they used the third-party Havok physics engine to handle object positioning, velocities, and collisions. Saber created a proxy of every object in the Halo engine to transfer into the Saber engine, meaning that the game's original programming remained unchanged. The game's ability to alternate between the legacy and remastered graphics engines in the campaign was made possible by the rendering engine developed by Saber Interactive. The technology allowed the developers to update Halo: Combat Evolved's visuals and preserve the original gameplay."