How much of a chance do you give a new game?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

halfmask

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 halfmask
Member since 2010 • 240 Posts

Say you've recently bought a new game that you thought you'd like, but you've started playing and you're not enjoying it that much, whether because of lackluster/frustrating gameplay or dragging story or what-have-you: how long do you give it before throwing in the towel? Or are you determined to finish any game you start, no matter how awful? Discuss.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#2 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@halfmask said:

Say you've recently bought a new game that you thought you'd like, but you've started playing and you're not enjoying it that much, whether because of lackluster/frustrating gameplay or dragging story or what-have-you: how long do you give it before throwing in the towel? Or are you determined to finish any game you start, no matter how awful? Discuss.

I never leave a game i have begun playing.

Even if i don't enjoy it i will play it to the end.

Gamerno66666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#3 Gamerno66666
Member since 2013 • 175 Posts

Yeah. That happened to me alot.

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

I pretty much never give up. Im mindfull of my purchases so most of the time the games I buy will be ones I like to play and finish.

I just got skyrim for dirt cheap and honestly that's going to be a challenge to finish. That's one game I probably never will finish.

Venom951

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 Venom951
Member since 2012 • 389 Posts

I give a game a good 3-4 hours if it doesn't capture me in that time I shelf it I never sell but I'm pretty picky on games I buy to avoid these problems.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

The only two games that I gave up on was GTA4 and Dark Soul. GTa4 I just could no longer drive those streets. I hate the street layout.

As for Dark Soul, I got bored with it. It is not that good and one thing does not help it.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

I give the game exactly 2.5 seconds to impress me, if it does not impress me in that period of time I eject the disc, cut it up with scissors and feed it to my dogs. No if's or buts about it.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 2

#9 mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

I usually try to finish up a game, no matter how good or bad it is. If it's especially bad, I usually quit about 3/4 of the way in, because there's no way the ending of a bad game could possibly redeem the rest of the experience. If it's absolutely putrid or if it just plain bores me (which is rare), I usually don't bother with playing it after the beginning.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#10 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

A game really has to piss me off for me to stop playing it entirely. Boredom or lack of interest usually isn't enough for me to put a game down. I do lose some hope if a game doesn't pick up after the first couple of hours, but I definitely give it at least that before I'm just playing it just to get through it.

Zjun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By Zjun
Member since 2013 • 147 Posts

@Jacanuk said:

I never leave a game i have begun playing.

Even if i don't enjoy it i will play it to the end.

@marcheegsr said:

I pretty much never give up. Im mindfull of my purchases so most of the time the games I buy will be ones I like to play and finish.

I just got skyrim for dirt cheap and honestly that's going to be a challenge to finish. That's one game I probably never will finish.

@Venom951 said:

I give a game a good 3-4 hours if it doesn't capture me in that time I shelf it I never sell but I'm pretty picky on games I buy to avoid these problems.

@mastermetal777 said:

I usually try to finish up a game, no matter how good or bad it is. If it's especially bad, I usually quit about 3/4 of the way in, because there's no way the ending of a bad game could possibly redeem the rest of the experience. If it's absolutely putrid or if it just plain bores me (which is rare), I usually don't bother with playing it after the beginning.

@SoNin360 said:

A game really has to piss me off for me to stop playing it entirely. Boredom or lack of interest usually isn't enough for me to put a game down. I do lose some hope if a game doesn't pick up after the first couple of hours, but I definitely give it at least that before I'm just playing it just to get through it.

Agreed with all of these. I give it a few hours and I try my best to finish it unless the game is horrendous.

CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#12 CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25603 Posts

2-3 hours at most.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44105 Posts

I usually give it a few hours although it depends on the type of game it is as I'll give more time to RPG's and open-world games. It's very rare for me to stop playing a game because I don't like it though. I'm pretty good at discerning whether I'll enjoy a game or not.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21700 Posts

Probably like an hour. If I'm a fan of the series, I'll give it longer.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#15 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I always try to finish games I purchase since I paid for them. I find that most games with beginnings that drag tend to get better as they go on. Like Twilight Princess.

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#16  Edited By HipHopBeats
Member since 2011 • 2850 Posts

I'll give a game about 10 hours or so before I give up. I forced myself to finish games like Assassin's Creed 1 and Mass Effect 1 just for the story despite the horrible gameplay.

Dragon Age Origins was a game I gave up on and ended up trading in because of the ridiculous tactics combat which should have had some sort of noob tutorials and the story was pretty boring. Every NPC I spoke to ended up telling me their life story.

Fallout New Vegas is another game I'm struggling with due to my utter boredom playing this game. It's definitely not as interesting as Fallout 3. The desert setting is pretty bland and somewhat linear despite it being open world. I don't think I will abandon it like I did with Origins but it will definitely be a while before I finish New Vegas.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17  Edited By Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

I'll give any game at least two or three hours, but if I still dislike it after that I'll give up on it. Life is too short and my time is too valuable to play shitty games.

good_sk8er7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#18  Edited By good_sk8er7
Member since 2009 • 4327 Posts

I try to play through all of my games, but sometimes I put them down for a long time if they don't keep me interested.