how much can I sell a Virtal boy for?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

trick6952

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 trick6952
Member since 2005 • 1488 Posts

just wondering b/c it sits in my closet collecting dust and I dont even play with the thing

Sooshy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 Sooshy
Member since 2007 • 1723 Posts
Check and see how much they're going for on Ebay.
Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#3 Rekunta
Member since 2002 • 8275 Posts
You'd probably have to pay someone to take it off your hands...
Lt_Riggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Lt_Riggs
Member since 2003 • 630 Posts

You'd probably have to pay someone to take it off your hands...Rekunta

he he he, ha ha ha

EmilioDigsIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 EmilioDigsIt
Member since 2005 • 4391 Posts
I'll give you five bucks.
SciFiCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 SciFiCat
Member since 2006 • 1750 Posts
Ahh yes, the Virtual Boy... Nintendo´s own Vietnam. Yes it sucked and blowed. But because it failed so miserably, barely any units were sold, yet alone remain functioning. So it´s relatively rare. Wait a few more years and some crazy collector might want to buy it for and unhealthy amount of money (for him, that is) At least try to recover what you spent on it.
m0zart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#7 m0zart
Member since 2003 • 11580 Posts

The Virtual Boy wasn't that bad. In fact, it was one of the more unique systems available. It had it's chronic problems, but personally I think it was an enjoyable system to play once you got past the back and neck problems.

It has what is hands-down the best video pinball game -- Galactic Pinball. It also has the single best of all of the Wario Land games.

trick6952

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 trick6952
Member since 2005 • 1488 Posts
personally I dont think it was a flop it was just the way Nintendo marketed the thing IMO the sprites on this thing just seem to pop out at you and I thought that was cool but makes you feel a littlewoosy after awile
SciFiCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SciFiCat

The Virtual Boy wasn't that bad. In fact, it was one of the more unique systems available. It had it's chronic problems, but personally I think it was an enjoyable system to play once you got past the back and neck problems.

It has what is hands-down the best video pinball game -- Galactic Pinball. It also has the single best of all of the Wario Land games.

m0zart
WHAT?!?! I OWNED A VIRTUAL BOY, the damn thing was not only a pain in the neck (literally!), you had to adjust the mirrors/lens array to fit your inter ocular distance, get it wrong and you got a nuclear headache, not even children under the age of 6 were supposed to play with the VB because it could mess up their vision for good, it was on the damn warnings of the manual!!! And instead of m0zart you should call yourself beth0ven, if you get my drift. The Virtual Boy had THE WORST sound chip ever, I liked to play Teleroboxer on it, but the sound was like someone using a cheese grater to file down steel, it was horrible, not even headphones made the sound much better. Yes, it was unique, but was it good, HELL NO!!! Nintendo´s worst console ever, just for that it´s a collectors´ item.
m0zart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 m0zart

Sorry scificat, I owned it too, and actually own another one right now. I have to disagree with practically everything you said. The VB had great sound-- even though it was only capable of stereo, the proximity of the device to your face and ears made the sound come alive. The visuals were also fantastic. I quickly forgot that the graphics were all in red, because the depth perception that the system gave you was very different than what you experience in even modern 3D gaming systems. It never hurt my eyes, but then again, I always took breaks when the systemautomatically pausedwhatever game I was playing-- which was it's purpose in doing that to begin with. And I stand by the fact that two games that I have played constantly since the original release of the system are among the best in their respective genres. As good as Wario Land games were on the GB, GBC, and GBA, the one on the VB outdoes them all in the depth of gameplay, and the unique ways ittied the 3D depth perception intothe gameplay. And as someone who loves video pinball games, Galactic Pinball takes it's place at no. 1 for me even ahead of games like Devil's Crush and Metroid Prime Pinball. It's just that good.

SciFiCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SciFiCat
Well I guess to each its own, you like it and I don´t. Sure, it was the first mass market VR system, but you got to admit that using red instead of greenfor the display was a mistake. Sure, our eyesight responds to the presense of red better than to other colors but green has a more relaxing effect. But there was something else that bothered me about it, the foam eyeblinder to fit your face in would get dirty quite fast due to the constant contact with the skin, I had to clean it every so often with rubbing alcohol or the thing would get disgusting, that´s just bad design. Is too bad that it was Gumpei Yokoi´s last project before he left Nintendo (Rest his soul, the man left us too soon...) And lets face it, he left the company because of its poor sales. A shame really, Nintendo should had given him another chance. To think that he designed the WonderSwan never to see it come to fruition.
m0zart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 m0zart

Well I guess to each its own, you like it and I don´t. Sure, it was the first mass market VR system, but you got to admit that using red instead of greenfor the display was a mistake.SciFiCat

A mistake in the sense that it would have been nicer to have colors, sure. But it was great for its time, and after using it, like I said, I almost forgot it was red.

Sure, our eyesight responds to the presense of red better than to other colors but green has a more relaxing effect. But there was something else that bothered me about it, the foam eyeblinder to fit your face in would get dirty quite fast due to the constant contact with the skin, I had to clean it every so often with rubbing alcohol or the thing would get disgusting, that´s just bad design.SciFiCat

Hmmm... I never had that problem with it. But I've had that problem with numerous controllers. Every controller I've ever had, and every handheld I've ever played, eventually gets dirty due to the contact with the skin.

Is too bad that it was Gumpei Yokoi´s last project before he left Nintendo (Rest his soul, the man left us too soon...) And lets face it, he left the company because of its poor sales. A shame really, Nintendo should had given him another chance. To think that he designed the WonderSwan never to see it come to fruition.SciFiCat

That whole chapter with Gunpei is the real failure of Nintendo and the Virtual Boy, from my perspective. He was a man who contributed anddrove some of Nintendo's greatest successes (including my second favorite game series of all time -- Metroid), yet they practicallly discarded him over one financial failure. Even now, much of Nintendo's direction with reusing older technologies and refining interfaces came from Gunpei's own working and written theories. They owe him a lot.

Avatar image for 203762174820177760555343052357

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 203762174820177760555343052357
Member since 2005 • 7599 Posts
I'm in need of one, if it were in good condition, my starting point would be $50-60, with a good number of games I'd go up to $200. But Ebay is the best place to find out how much it is worth. I just checked and the prices are all over the place.