How many save slots do you use during your first playthrough?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 19

#1 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

For me, I usually just keep it to one. I don't like everything to be cluttered. Maybe I'm weird. Lol

heljar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 heljar
Member since 2016 • 176 Posts

Depends on the game. But I've used all the slots on many games. I've had a few bad experiences from games where I've forgotten to do something important and I can't go back and fix it. And basically get stuck. It's better to just lose a few hours of playtime and reload and earlier save instead of having to play the whole game again.

And I remember on Majora's mask I had to juggle two savegames because I had some difficulty fighting off the aliens on the farm and didn't want to start the cycle again everytime I lost.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#3 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

Depending on the game 2 at most for the same reasons of Heljar or because I'm not sure if its the right choice if its a decision.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11666 Posts

Some of my favorite games restrict to a one save system. And because of my OCD keep it always minimal, likewise am not a fan of clutter.

Not to mention always came across as cheating to an extent in my view, if you're saving too much you likely suffer from a lack of personal confidence, and feel the need for an extra advantage to rethink and memorise immediate events.

Only resorting to more saves if it's in a game prone to crashes and events that breaks progress. A lot of P.C. games are built with these issues. Dusk was a recent example.

Peasly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#5 Peasly
Member since 2004 • 554 Posts

Like other people have said it depends on the game. Usually save at the end of a days play. Don't like a lot of autosaves cluttering things up.

Playing Elex, change of pace from AC: Odyssey (and open world fatigue, hope). It's an old game but you can at least tell it how often you want to autosave for..!!

Sometimes i just like to wander about in a game.. Not too much going on in my face all at once..!! ;)

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

I learned the hard way playing Ninja Gaiden NES (kinda cheating to use saves I know) that you should always use more than one. Had to defeat the second last Boss with no power ups because I screwed up and saved at a disadvantageous point.

heljar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 heljar

@RSM-HQ: I guess we're very different. My first real interest for games arrived when I first discovered King's Quest and other Sierra-games. I learned the hard way it's important to save often. I could die at every turn. And I've played some badly designed games where I can get stuck if I've forgotten to pick up an object or do some important task before moving on. It's not funny to have to replay the whole game again rather than lose a few hours to restore a previous save. At least for same games I keep multiple saves from various parts of the story. But I'm replaying Phoenix Wright now on Switch and only use the one save since that's all I need. And I don't mind playing games with automatic save and nothing else. Depends on the game.

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8  Edited By tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts

Depends on how long the game is. I normally create a new save slot as sort of a bookmark for every time I reach what feels like a crucial point of the game. That way, if I find myself later in the game realizing I missed something very important around that junction of the story, I don't have to replay the entire game in order to reach that point...

I especially do that for games that I'm given choices to choose from that affects the entire story of the game like Mass Effect or Dragon Age....

I also create additional saves just to make it easier to revisit favorite cutscenes/part of a game that I don't feel like replaying the entire game to reach...

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#9 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11666 Posts

@heljar: I'm all for perseverance, but to be honest wouldn't willingly give bad games the time of day. If it becomes clear they're badly designed it's really not worth my time.

heljar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 heljar

@RSM-HQ: I only meant in that particular aspect. I've been burned a few times with games like these. They can be great otherwise.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44140 Posts

Depends on the game but I usually rotate between 5 and 10 different save slots.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#12 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34596 Posts

Mostly just make more than one slot if I'm replaying a game. Just because it feels bad to just erase your previous progress. :P

Comma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By Comma
Member since 2019 • 28 Posts

I tend to keep to 1 slot per playthrough. I'm a neat freak.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58299 Posts

I make a new save every time, just in case I find a spot memorable, I can go back and try it again.

I loathe games that only have autosave/lack manual save options.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 19

#15 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts
@RSM-HQ said:

Not to mention always came across as cheating to an extent in my view, if you're saving too much you likely suffer from a lack of personal confidence, and feel the need for an extra advantage to rethink and memorise immediate events.

Great point.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#16 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

I miss that most PC FPS don't have quick saves like they use to.

tomsands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 tomsands
Member since 2020 • 1 Posts

Just one is enough really.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#20 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15913 Posts

Unless the trophy requirement requires branching paths or have missable item, only one.

HankMulder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 HankMulder
Member since 2020 • 203 Posts

I usually go with 5 and backup it after every play session.

I used to play with 1 slot combined with quick save/autosave but got burned plenty of times losing my progress.