How long will social games/zynga be popular?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

d-rtyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 d-rtyboy
Member since 2006 • 3178 Posts
I know a lot of gamers hate this type of game, I'm not really interested in your personal opinion of them, although I'm sure you will give it to me regardless. Anyway, I'm just curious how long does everyone think these types of games will last? Do you think they are here to stay or are they just a passing fad?
xWoW_Rougex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 xWoW_Rougex
Member since 2009 • 2793 Posts

This generation is merely the beginning of the casualization of games. It will only get worse from here on. It's all here to stay. And to conquer.

Avatar image for JoeInWonderland
JoeInWonderland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 JoeInWonderland
Member since 2012 • 112 Posts
Yeah, old people are suckers for things like Farmville or Bejweled..
d-rtyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 d-rtyboy
Yea, I don't see an end to them anytime soon either. Bummer. lol
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Why is opening gaming to new, and larger audiences a bad thing? No longer will there be a stigma of "its just for kids" or "its just for basement-dwelling man-child's." I task you to prove that having more accessible games has some how negatively affected the rest of the "core" parts of the industry, that focus on more complicated forms of gaming.
Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#6 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

Forever unfortunately. While buying a $500.00 smartphone to play a .99 cent game. Doesn't seem to make a lot of sense. But how many games those causal iPhone players actual buy? 2-5 tops? that doesn't seem to be enough to drive the industry for very long.

Since smartphones seem to be replaced every 6 months with a new model. maybe forever since the phone is more addictive than the game?

enorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 enorox
Member since 2006 • 252 Posts
But I love Words with Friends.
lensflare15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 lensflare15
Member since 2010 • 6652 Posts

As long as Facebook is popluar? I think a lot of people are just addicted to Facebook and those games give them something more to do with it.

xWoW_Rougex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 xWoW_Rougex
Member since 2009 • 2793 Posts

Why is opening gaming to new, and larger audiences a bad thing? No longer will there be a stigma of "its just for kids" or "its just for basement-dwelling man-child's." I task you to prove that having more accessible games has some how negatively affected the rest of the "core" parts of the industry, that focus on more complicated forms of gaming.foxhound_fox

*takes a look at last generation of games* *looks back at this generation* * also stares at this generations mmorpgs, shed tears* *leaves*

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 foxhound_fox
*takes a look at last generation of games* *looks back at this generation* * also stares at this generations mmorpgs, shed tears* *leaves*xWoW_Rougex
Are you saying there was nothing "core" oriented, nor unique and original this generation?
Doctor_Dino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Doctor_Dino
Member since 2012 • 36 Posts

Zynga is bleeding money like crazy, so not too much longer. I think social games of now will just eventually be incorporated into traditional game titles.

tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 tjricardo089
Member since 2010 • 7429 Posts

This generation is merely the beginning of the casualization of games. It will only get worse from here on. It's all here to stay. And to conquer.

xWoW_Rougex

We've seen what social games have done. Farmville and Cityville have turned millions of profit, they can run on any PC and bla bla bla. They suck though.

sayyy-gaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 sayyy-gaa
Member since 2002 • 5850 Posts

As long as Facebook is popluar? I think a lot of people are just addicted to Facebook and those games give them something more to do with it.

lensflare15

Pretty much this. And as long as smartphones have the games too.

HadronVulture

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 HadronVulture
Member since 2012 • 198 Posts
I find that the old people are fueling those; Most of my friends got tired of them very quickly.
Just-Breathe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Just-Breathe
Member since 2011 • 3130 Posts
I think we can expect them to be around for the foreseeable future.
Sali217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Sali217
Member since 2012 • 1301 Posts
They will be popular until things like phones and tablets have the capabilities to do things more advanced.
Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#17 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
For as long as women exist
Brown-9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Brown-9
Member since 2011 • 753 Posts

I think social gaming will only get better from here on out. It just needs a single breakout game to propel it into the (much as I hate to use this word) "hardcore" territory.

We need the equivalent of a Pokemon title for mobile/social gaming. Something that catches on with such mainstream appeal but isn't just a repetitive five minute distraction. Once that happens, these so-called "hardcore" gamers will probably shut up about it.

toastisgood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 toastisgood
Member since 2008 • 96 Posts

Why is opening gaming to new, and larger audiences a bad thing? No longer will there be a stigma of "its just for kids" or "its just for basement-dwelling man-child's." I task you to prove that having more accessible games has some how negatively affected the rest of the "core" parts of the industry, that focus on more complicated forms of gaming.foxhound_fox

If you want proof, just look at what's happened to Nintendo.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 foxhound_fox
If you want proof, just look at what's happened to Nintendo.toastisgood
What happened to Nintendo? They have offered more high-quality first party games this gen than any other. Just because they made them more accessible don't make them bad. And if you have played NSMBWii or DKCR you wouldn't be saying what you did. They are among the most difficult platformers Nintendo has ever released. Ever. Thanks to the Super Guide, they can give core gamers what they want without making casual gamers angry that they can't play the game past the first level.
toastisgood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 toastisgood
Member since 2008 • 96 Posts

[QUOTE="toastisgood"]If you want proof, just look at what's happened to Nintendo.foxhound_fox
What happened to Nintendo? They have offered more high-quality first party games this gen than any other. Just because they made them more accessible don't make them bad. And if you have played NSMBWii or DKCR you wouldn't be saying what you did. They are among the most difficult platformers Nintendo has ever released. Ever. Thanks to the Super Guide, they can give core gamers what they want without making casual gamers angry that they can't play the game past the first level.

I was referring to the games made for retirement homes, like wii sports, wii play, wii fit, wii music, wii party, etc.

Also, I don't see the point of a game if you can just have super kong/Luigi do everything for you (the two games are fine otherwise).

Syk0_k03r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Syk0_k03r
Member since 2008 • 1147 Posts

until the end of this planet I'm afraid.

The masses care more about their damn friends than pretty much anything.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 foxhound_fox
I was referring to the games made for retirement homes, like wii sports, wii play, wii fit, wii music, wii party, etc.toastisgood
Did you just start puberty or something and have to fit in with your friends? What about their accessibility makes them less fun or entertaining? Or do you not have any friends to play them with and have to lash out because groups make them incredibly fun?
Also, I don't see the point of a game if you can just have super kong/Luigi do everything for you (the two games are fine otherwise).toastisgood
There is the sense of accomplishment you get from doing it without help. I'm not sure why any "core" gamer would be against the Super Guide, as it has allowed for the creation of incredibly difficult games that no longer have to be dumbed down in order to be made accessible.
meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
I can't see them going any where. I expect they'll continue to evolve until they get to a point where they can actually be considered to be quality games.
d-rtyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 d-rtyboy
[QUOTE="toastisgood"]If you want proof, just look at what's happened to Nintendo.foxhound_fox

You realize that Nintendo had one of their worst years financially last year? At least, they had a very bad year. The 3DS came out and it was pretty much a bust for Nintendo. The Gameboy and its derivatives, have been their primary money makers and without it, Nintendo might see a severe downsizing and may even wind up having to go the way that Sega did. This is how Zynga/social games are negatively affecting the 'core' video game industry. I believe, that in the coming years, traditional consoles will go the route of PC games. Many say that PC gaming is dead, and while I don't want to get into a debate over that, PC games certainly do not sell well for more reasons than just piracy. They cater to a specific 'core' audience. Same with consoles. Consoles are more accessible to non-core/casual gamers and that's why they have been profitable. Social games are taking these casual gamers away from consoles. The next gen of consoles will only sell to this core base and therefor will not see the popularity they have in the past. I see a major consolidation of the industry as a whole in the next few years and some companies will bite the dust in this transformation from single use devices, like Xbox 360 or Playstation 3 to multi-use devices like the iPhone/iPad.