How long do you feel is a proper development cycle for games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Yusuke420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 Yusuke420
Member since 2012 • 2770 Posts

Personally, I think two years is the bare amount of time to get a title out of the door with enough polish and features to be worthy of a sixty dollar investment. If you simply have to have a yearly release, the method that Call of Duty uses is ideal, because it still give a true two year development cycle. This year will mark the return of the NBA Live/Elite franchise after a two year hiatus and I think that game will show marked improvement in all areas because of the extra development time taken.

lo_Pine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 lo_Pine
Member since 2012 • 4978 Posts
I immediately thought two years minimum too
Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts
Two years is a good start but if you can make a quality game in less time then more power to you.
valium88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 valium88
Member since 2006 • 4455 Posts

Development time depends on the game and the time it takes to finish it.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 Litchie  Online
Member since 2003 • 34774 Posts
2-5 years. If a game is developed for more than 5 years, it's probably becuase there are problems with development, and that makes me loose interest in the game. If a game is developed for less than 2 years, it's either a bad game, or a minor upgrade from the previous game, like Call of Duty or FIFA. Unless it's a sweet little indie game, of course, which can be awesome without years of development.
juradai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 juradai
Member since 2003 • 2783 Posts

Whenever it is finished. Length of time a game is in development doesn't decide on whether it will be good or bad. Each game that is in development comes with its own unique challenges for the team that is working on it.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#7 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

it varies from game to game and developer to developer. 3 years might seem huge for some games, but it may not be enough to really flesh out a world in one of the tolkien-following rpg's. a big action game based around a single good idea might be made well enough in a couple years. competitive games, even simple ones, might take years to balance no matter what the scale is. a small game with certain design choices (perhaps randomization) might be made in a few months. maybe the developer is inexperienced in the genre so they need time to experiment.

it's hard to put a single time frame on any broad range of games. you never know when writer's (developer's?) block will set in either. just because a game doesnt work in the exact way it was originally envisioned doesnt mean it cant be a good game eventually.

BigBoss255

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 BigBoss255
Member since 2010 • 3539 Posts
3-5 years. Games released in 2 often dissapoint and offer very little that's new.
AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts

I think 3 years is the sweet spot. Not too short and not too long.

...that's what she said :P

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17877 Posts
3-4 years to do it properly. if its too long, 5+ years, then the game can appear jaded and old on release. too short and the dev doesnt have enough time to try loads of new ideas.
Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

2 to 3 years. Depends on the game and the ambition and team behind it though

Reptylus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Reptylus
Member since 2009 • 1875 Posts
I'm not so conceited as to define how long pros are supposed to work on a project.
lo_Pine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 lo_Pine
Member since 2012 • 4978 Posts
I'm not so conceited as to define how long pros are supposed to work on a project.Reptylus
Lol gonna take the high road?
-DirtySanchez-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 -DirtySanchez-
Member since 2003 • 32760 Posts
2-3 years anything sooner and it could suffer from not feeling complete and not having its bugs all worked out ( tho ive seen plenty of long developed games with some major bugs ) anything later and graphics can looked dated, story/premise could feel used by someone else that beat the game out the door, jokes/story/references can feel dated
Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44546 Posts
I would say that it's completely dependant on the game, the developer, and the publisher. There's so many different kinds of games from the various genres and platforms these days. Also you have to have some kind of constraints because if not then things can easily spiral out of control with both developing time and cost if developers keep wanting to add new ideas they may get while working on a game. While I won't say that there is any "proper" development cycle I would say that 2 to 3 years seems like the acceptable norm for most "typical" games.
crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 crimsonman1245
Member since 2011 • 4253 Posts

A sequel shouldnt come out for at LEAST 2 years, preferably 3 years that way its not so familiar.

Avatar image for JayQproductions
JayQproductions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 JayQproductions
Member since 2007 • 1806 Posts

minimum of 2 years, at the most 4 years. longer development cycles arent really a good thing in most cases, look at duke nukem forever.

brucecambell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 brucecambell
Member since 2011 • 1489 Posts

For full blown retail games on the consoles or PC. A bare minimum of 2 years. Most sequels are done in 2 years. Original IPs can take 3 - 4 years to concieve, & other more ambitious games can take 3 - 5 years ( Bioshock Infinite, Elder Scrolls, an example ).

Last generation 1 yr was the minimum for a development cycle. This generations it is 2 yrs. Next generation will be 3 yrs. We will likely see a smaller library of games becuase of these longer development times. Each generation you essentially add 1 year to each development cycle.

Virtua_Souls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Virtua_Souls
Member since 2012 • 267 Posts

These days, for most $60 retail games? 3 years at least, I'd say. It never seems like 2 years is enough time for developers for the big releases. They always seem to have delays or they ship the game without all of the areas completely finished to their satisfaction.

I would much rather have developers these days just take another year to really polish the game, than to just ship it out as quickly as possible, but big companies don't seem to allow that.

For smaller games, I think 2 years can work, but in the end, I want game creators to take as much time as they need to complete their games with their intended creative vision for it. Obviously though, the world of business doesn't work that way, sadly.

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

2-4 years, depending on the title.

GHO5T-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 GHO5T-
Member since 2011 • 419 Posts
2-3 years I would say
campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
i think 2 year minimum
TJORLY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 TJORLY
Member since 2008 • 3298 Posts

4 years for a new IP, or a sequel using a new engine.

2 years for a sequel using the same engine.

KalDurenik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 KalDurenik
Member since 2004 • 3736 Posts
Depends on the game... RPG's minium 3 years (if they use a engine they know) 5+ if its a new engine (includes engine dev time).
sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#25 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

3 or 4 years

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
Depends on how much is being developed in house.
markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts

We will likely see a smaller library of games becuase of these longer development times. Each generation you essentially add 1 year to each development cycle.

brucecambell

Unlikely, you'll just see IPs planned as series instead of standalone games which is already happening.

UnchartedZone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 UnchartedZone
Member since 2011 • 219 Posts

I don't think 2 years is enough. It might be the absolute bare minimum, but I don't believe a development team who wants to make a quality game will be able to do it in 2 years without feeling rushed. There are some exceptions - Uncharted 2 came out 2 years after the first and was very well done and polished in all aspects. With Uncharted 3, however, the development time was again 2 years, and this time, it was clear that the game would've benefitted greatly from some more time (but it was still a great game). They were trying out a new engine that had a few glitches that could've been worked out. The single player story also felt weak compared to the previous game, only focusing on the big set pieces like the cruise ship, so I think they could've taken some more time to fix that.

RobertBowen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#29 RobertBowen
Member since 2003 • 4094 Posts

It really depends on the type of game. But 2-4 years sounds about right.

Adversary16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#30 Adversary16
Member since 2007 • 1705 Posts
5 years. 6 years, ideally.
Avatar image for LeeroyPinkerton
LeeroyPinkerton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 LeeroyPinkerton
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
2-3 years, more if you are making a RPG or whatever. Honestly, it all depends on what kind of game it is/what platform.
Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

at least two years for a decent game

Avatar image for masterpinky2000
masterpinky2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 95

#33 masterpinky2000
Member since 2004 • 1955 Posts
To take one example, the creation of a yearly development cycle for Assassin's Creed really hurt the series in my opinion. The first game had great potential, two was a big leap forward, but three felt like there was no progress and it was just more of the same. One thing people have been neglecting in this thread is that it's not just technological/gameplay developments, it's also story and narrative development. It takes authors several years to write good plots, and putting a one-year crunch on a developer tests out not just the programmers and the artists, but also the writers.
crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 crimsonman1245
Member since 2011 • 4253 Posts

To take one example, the creation of a yearly development cycle for Assassin's Creed really hurt the series in my opinion. The first game had great potential, two was a big leap forward, but three felt like there was no progress and it was just more of the same. One thing people have been neglecting in this thread is that it's not just technological/gameplay developments, it's also story and narrative development. It takes authors several years to write good plots, and putting a one-year crunch on a developer tests out not just the programmers and the artists, but also the writers.masterpinky2000

I agree, its the only thing i dont like about Assassins Creed.

God-of-Blood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35 God-of-Blood
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
For a brand new game (series), I would say that 3-4 years is the bare minimum required to make a quality game. Sure, they can keep pumping out new CODs every 6 months, but if you're making something new then it takes a long time. Something important to think about is whether the game is building a new engine or just working with one that is already made. For example, a game that runs on the UNREAL engine will take less development time than a game that is being made from scratch.
Cloud_765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#36 Cloud_765
Member since 2008 • 111411 Posts
About a year and a half to two years. At max, no more than 4 years. When games take more than that they tend to forget what they were aiming for in the first place.
Yusuke420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#37 Yusuke420
Member since 2012 • 2770 Posts

About a year and a half to two years. At max, no more than 4 years. When games take more than that they tend to forget what they were aiming for in the first place. Cloud_765
That post count is...epic!

TaintedSaint79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 TaintedSaint79
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

Untill it is done. all games development cycle is diffrent.

Adversary16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#39 Adversary16
Member since 2007 • 1705 Posts
[QUOTE="masterpinky2000"]To take one example, the creation of a yearly development cycle for Assassin's Creed really hurt the series in my opinion. The first game had great potential, two was a big leap forward, but three felt like there was no progress and it was just more of the same. One thing people have been neglecting in this thread is that it's not just technological/gameplay developments, it's also story and narrative development. It takes authors several years to write good plots, and putting a one-year crunch on a developer tests out not just the programmers and the artists, but also the writers.

I agree. Giving enough time to a team is as well for the sake of promoting creativity as it is for refining. Only then, after several previous versions of the game have been discarded, can a game shine with both its originality and polish.
munkeypoo45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#40 munkeypoo45
Member since 2008 • 3221 Posts

at least 2 years imo. maybe 3 just take make it more polished.

Moriarity_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Moriarity_
Member since 2011 • 1332 Posts

3-4 years is ideal but there are exceptions. The main one being Blizzard. They can take as long as they want with their games as long as the quality stays the way it is.